C H A P T E R E L EV E N

Through The Funeral

“B-Baek, can you please come here..”, she whimpered, her voice cracking. “Gyu? Hey, what’s wrong?”, Baekhyun spoke through the line as he held his phone firmly.

“P-Please…”, she whispered, crying. “Lee Gyu Won, tell me what’s the matter. Stop crying, tell me. It’s 3 in the morning.”, Baekhyun spoke, his tone filled with concern.

“My d-dog…”, she spoke, stopping as she cried. “He’s not moving, Baek… He’s not breathing too..”, Gyu Won spoke, her voice filled with fear.

Baekhyun silenced as he wasn’t sure what to say. “Wait for me, I’ll come right now.”, Baekhyun spoke as he ended the call and grabbed his motorcycle key.

 

A few minutes later, a soft knock could be heard by the front door. Gyu Won tip toed down the stairs, trying her best not to wake her parents up.

She opened the front door and was greeted by the face of her lover which is filled with so much worry. “How’s your dog now?  Is he still not breathing?”, Baekhyun spoke with a low tone.

Gyu Won nodded. Her eyes teary and her face Is all swollen. “Hey, hey don’t cry okay.”, Baekhyun spoke and wiped the falling tear on her cheek using his palm.

The two of them went up stair to her room. Baekhyun stared worryingly at the sight of Gyu Won’s dog lying on the floor with no signs of movement.

         He shook the dog just gently as he let out a soft sigh. Receiving no response, he shut both of his eyes tight and sighed.

“Gyu…”, He spoke softly. Gyu Won shook her head. “No, no please don’t..”, she plead, her tone filled with desperation.

“Gyu, I think it’s his time.”, Baekhyun spoke in a sorry tone as Gyu Won shook her head. “No, baek please… he’s probably just sick.. he’ll wake up in the morning, won’t he..?”, Gyu Won spoke as she burst into tear.

Baekhyun stood up and leaned in to pull her for a hug. “Gyu Won, it’s time. Everything dies at some point. Even the sun.”, Baekhyun spoke as Gyu Won cried her heart out.

 

“I’m here for you. Let it all out. And we’ll make a small funeral session for him tomorrow. It’ll be fine.”, Baekhyun spoke as Gyu Won nodded, her eyes pouring tears.

“Thank you, Baek.”, She whispered, her head laid on his chest. Baekhyun forced a small smile. “Mourn it out.”

 

Baekhyun was always there during her rough time. And he’s always so understanding.


Chapter 10

Gyu Won woke up from her sleep with a great headache. As she turned around, the sight of Baekhyun caught her eye as she gasped.

She had now realized that Baekhyun had slept in her house after appearing drunk last night. She had also realized that she and Baekhyun have had last night.

Baekhyun let out a soft grunt as his eye fluttered open. She stared into him as Baekhyun tried to regain his conscious.

His eyes were wide as he looked into her. “D-Did I slept here yesterday?”, he asked, his voice hoarse and slightly cracking. Gyu Won silenced as she turned her eyes away. He had forgotten about last night.

          Upon realizing he’s , he let out a soft gasp. “D-Did we… last night?”, Baekhyun asked, his voice filled with shock and confusion.

Gyu Won’s face went red as she choked on her saliva. Baekhyun gulped upon watching her reaction as his face went red too.

 

“Gyu, I’m really sorry if I did something horrible last night but I really can’t recall anything and I’m having a very great headache right now..”, Baekhyun spoke as he grunted.

Gyu Won cleared as she looked into Baekhyun. His face seemed flawless despite his hair being in a messy condition. He looked hot.

“Why don’t you go take a bath first? I’ll grab some Panadol and cook breakfast for you.”, Gyu Won spoke in a soft tone as she passed Baekhyun a towel to cover himself up. Baekhyun nodded as he responded with a soft smile.


Gyu Won had freshen herself up and cooked some breakfast which is scrambled eggs and a few sausage, while Baekhyun is still taking a shower in the guest bathroom.

 

As Baekhyun had finished showering, he walked out of the bathroom wearing one of Gyu Won’s loosest clothes. But it still looks slightly tight on him.

“Is the sweater okay for your body?”, she asked as Baekhyun gave a sheepish smile. “Quite tight on the arm but it’s better than nothing.”, He responded as he sat by the dining table.

Gyu Won smiled. The sight of him wearing her clothes is just so pretty.

“Well I’ve washed your clothes and it is now in the dryer. I’m sure it’ll be done in a few minutes. Eat some breakfast first and then take the Panadol. It’ll cure your hangover.”, Gyu Won spoke in a gentle tone as Baekhyun smiled.

“Thanks, Gyu. You’re the best.”, He cooed as he starts digging into the eggs.

 

Gyu Won silenced as she starts eating too.

         She looked into Baekhyun, before clearing . “Yesterday.. did you remember coming to my house?”, she spoke in a soft tone as Baekhyun stop munching.

He awkwardly swallowed his food down and gave a sheepish smile.

“Not really… I remember taking a few shots of soju at the Soju tent, but I don’t remember taking the bus to your apartment, and I really don’t remember getting inside your house and all..”, he explained truthfully.

Gyu Won nodded. “I see.”, she spoke and continued eating as Baekhyun stared into her.  “D-Did I said something weird last night..?”, Baekhyun asked, his face filled with worry.

Gyu Won silenced. “I don’t know. Can’t remember.”, She answered as she took a small sip of her coffee.

Baekhyun continued chewing as he turned his eyes away. “Hey, I’m sorry…?”, He apologized out of the blue as Gyu Won looked into him. “Why are you sorry?”, she asked, her eyes still avoiding him.

Baekhyun lowered his gaze. “I-I don’t know. For suddenly appearing in front of your house, drunk..? I probably had burdened you..”, he spoke, his eyes lingering around.

         Gyu Won smiled. “It’s fine. That’s what old friends are for.”, She spoke and turned her attention to the food. Baekhyun stared into her, not knowing what to response.


“I’ll leave first, okay? Thank you for everything.”, Baekhyun spoke as he smiled a bit. Gyu Won nodded. “It’s nothing. You’ve helped me a lot too.”, she responded as Baekhyun softly chuckled.

“I.. guess we’ll see each other soon? Goodbye, Gyu.”, he spoke as he waved his hand just slightly. Gyu Won smiled. “Bye. Get home carefully.”, she spoke as Baekhyun smiled and vanished from her sight.


Gyu Won did some house cleaning as Baekhyun had left.

The image of last night remained vivid in her brain and it’s causing her to blush so much.

As she turned the vacuum on, her phone ranged. She took her phone and looked into the screen. It’s her dad calling and somehow she had a bad feeling about the call.

“Yes, dad?”, she answered as she continued vacuuming the floor.  “Gyu Won, your mother-“, her dad stopped and cried a bit. Gyu Won stopped vacuuming and straightens her posture up.

“Dad, what’s wrong with mom?”, she spoke in a stern tone as her dad could be hear crying.

         “She was having a headache this morning, and had been complaining about It all day. Suddenly just now she fainted, We’re at the hospital now..”, her dad explained, his voice filled fear and worry.

“Did the doctor say anything?”, she asked as she turned the vacuum off.

“No, your mother is in the operation room right now..  I don’t know why..”, he spoke as Gyu Won sighed.

“Alright. I’ll come right now. Which hospital?”, She asked, her tone filled with concern and rush. “Bucheon Hospital. Come quick, Gyu Won..”, her dad responded as Gyu Won ended the call and grabbed her purse.


She took the taxi to Bucheon Hospital and in less than 30 minutes she had arrived.

 

She ran to the operation floor and saw her father sitting outside one of the operation room. Her eyes met her father’s as she let out a worried sigh.

She walked toward her father and sat on the sit next to him. “How long has mother been having a headache?”, she asked as her father shook his head.

“I’m not sure… maybe 3 weeks?”, he responded as Gyu Won shut her eyes in frustration. “Do you think she’ll be fine..?”, she asked. Her father silenced. “I don’t know.”

The doctor walked out of the operation room as Gyu Won stood up. “Doctor, how is my mother?”, she asked as the doctor stared into her.

There’s guilt in the doctor’s eyes. There’s pity too.

              “I’m sorry, miss… we tried our best. we really did, but it’s her time.”, the doctor spoke as Gyu Won’s eye widened. “No, no.. doctor please..”, she plead as her father stood up.

“H-How come? She was fine this morning..”, her dad spoke as the doctor shook his head. “She’s old already. It’s her time, and she died un-painfully. I’m sorry for your lost, sir.”, the doctor spoke as he bowed just slightly and left.

 

Gyu Won sat on the chair as she was totally taken aback. Tears were pouring out of her eyes and everything just feels surreal.

Her dad went inside the operation room as Gyu Won remained by the sit and took her phone out. She dialed Baekhyun’s number but there was no answer.

She dialed again, but it beeped, and went straight to voicemail.

 

She left a voicemail, sobbing. “Baek… can you come here? My mother, she-“, she stopped her words and whimpered. “She just passed away..”.