C H A P T E R T W E L V E

Through The Funeral

      The moon’s shining very brightly as its light pierces just slightly through the crack of the curtain.

Baekhyun’s eyes are filled with love as he watches his lover blow the candles out. Today is their 4th month anniversary and they’re both dressed very nicely.

“Thank you for a great 4 month with you, Baek.”, she spoke with a soft smile as Baekhyun responded with a soft laugh. “No. Thank you, Gyu. For you have taught me what it’s like to love and be loved.”, Baekhyun spoke as Gyu Won smiled.

“I was always the quiet, unpopular girl in class. You were the complete opposite. Although you were always quiet and mature looking, you had a lot of friends and you’re also very popular among the students and the teachers. You’re always so confident and silent. And that might be the reason I’ve always been in love with you.”, Gyu Won spoke truthfully as she kept her gaze fixed on him.

Baekhyun stared into her, his eyes pouring love and affection.

 

Baekhyun cleared his throat, smiling sheepishly. “You’ve always been quiet, always in your own space. When it’s self-study time, I would always catch you staring out the window. The way you bat your eyelashes is amusing to watch, and every time the teacher told you to read the poem out loud during English class, my heart would flutter and bounce a lot.” Baekhyun spoke, fiddling with his own fingers as a small grin were plastered on his face.

“Every time I saw you talking to other guys, my heart would burn up so bad without me knowing why. And every time you look into me, my whole day would be brighter and that was when I realized that I am in love with you.”, Baekhyun added more as he reached for her hand and intertwined it with his.

She smiled softly, her cheeks reddening up as she lowered her gaze.

 

“The day you asked me to be your girlfriend, was the happiest day of my life. I couldn’t believe my ears and eyes.”, she cooed, her eyes smiling widely.

“And the moment you said yes, it was the happiest day of my life.”, Baekhyun responded with a small smile.

                “I wondered what I did to deserve such a beautiful, warm-hearted lover.”, Baekhyun whispered as he leaned in to plant a soft kiss by her lips.

She responded the kiss gladly, smiling brightly as her stomach flutters at the way Baekhyun moves his lip on hers.


Chapter 12

Gyu Won is crying silently as she watches her mother’s corpse getting covered with a piece of white cloth.

                        It is 10 p.m. and the whole hospital is very silent.

Her father mourned out loud, as he murmured a few inaudible words. The doctor gave a pity look. “I’m sorry for your lost.”, he said and bowed as Gyu Won’s father nodded subtly. 

Gyu Won caressed her father’s back, “It’s not your fault, dad. God loves mother more.”, she spoke, a tear fell.

Her father nodded, sobbing. “If only I had paid more attention to her, then maybe I would’ve realized there’s something wrong. I would’ve given her more affection. This is all my faulty.”, He murmured, shutting his eye tight.

 

Gyu Won sniffed. “Dad… Go home and rest first okay? It’s already night, I’ll make a reservation at the funeral home I used to work at. Everything will be fine.”, she spoke, as her dad nodded.

“Thank you for being here, Gyu Won.”, her dad spoke as Gyu Won forced a smile. “I’m your daughter. And she is my mother. Of course I’d be here.”, she spoke.

“I’ll book a taxi to pick you up by 10 tomorrow. Don’t worry about the funeral, I’ll pay for everything. Dad, you go home today and rest, okay?”, she spoke as she look into her dad.

Her dad nodded and hugged her. She let out a soft sigh.


      She got into a taxi and sighed. She called the funeral home she used to work at and made a reservation for tomorrow at 2p.m.

Her heart stiffened at the thought of losing her mother, but she has to accept that fact quicker or she’ll be sadder in the future.

Time is the only thing that can surely heal her.

 

It’s 12 a.m. and she had only managed to get home after such a busy road. It’s raining heavily as she rushed inside the building.

She checked her phone, still no message from Baekhyun.

She wondered what could be happening to Baekhyun, as there was no response from him at all.

 

She went inside her home and dropped to the couch, shedding a tear as the thought of her mother appear in her head.

The heavy rain outside increases her sad mood as she shut both of her eyes tight. Unknowingly, she felt asleep on the couch and was woken up by the loud sound of her front door being knocked.

She rubbed both of her eyes sleepily. ‘ Who the hell could that be’, she thought as she looked into the wall clock which showed 2  in the morning.

The knock got louder as she stood up from the couch. She walked slowly toward her front door, quite hesitating.

“Gyu Won!”, baekhyun voice could be heard followed by a series of knock as relief wash down through her. She quickly opened the door and was greeted by a wet, drenched baekhyun probably caused by the heavy rain whose face is filled with so much worry.

She gasped. “Baekhyun, you’re all wet!”, she spoke, her eyes fixed on him.

Baekhyun stared into her, he’s panting as he breathe hardly. “Gyu, I’m sorry. I just got your message. Is it true?”, Baekhyun spoke, his eyes blinking a lot. “Is it true your mother died?”, he spoke, more of a whisper.

         Gyu Won silenced. Swallowing down her saliva, she nodded subtly.

Baekhyun let out a frustrated sigh. “Why..?”, he spoke, his tone filled with shock. Gyu Won shook her head. “I don’t know. My father said she had been complaining about her headache, suddenly this morning she fainted, and when she got into the hospital, she died.”, she explained, her voice low and hoarse.

Baekhyun stared into her, his eyes pouring pity and sorry. “Gyu, I’m sorry for your lost.”, He spoke, neglecting the fact that he is still wet and drenched.

Gyu Won shook her head, forced a laugh. “I’m so stupid… if only I had known; I would’ve visited her… I’m..”, she spoke, before bursting into tears.

 

Baekhyun leaned in and pulled her for a hug. The hug was cold due to his drenched clothes, but the tight feeling in her heart is warm.


The rain had finally stopped as they were both seated by the living room. Baekhyun had changed his clothes into one of Gyu Won’s clothes and had taken a bath too.

 

The night sky was starless, and the moon was nowhere to be found. Gyu Won has her head laid on Baekhyun’s chest, Baekhyun has his finger playing with her hair.

It’s 3 in the morning, and both of them are silent, driven away by their thoughts as the sound of the wall clock ticking increases.

“Thank you for coming, Baek.”, Gyu Won spoke, breaking the silence. Baekhyun hummed as he continued playing with her hair. “I’m such a burden. It’s just that somehow you’re the first person who went into my mind. You’re the only person who could comfort me at horrifying times like this.”, She spoke more, sniffling.

Baekhyun softly smiled. “And I’ll always be here for you, Gyu.”, he spoke, smiling.

 

Gyu Won straightened herself up from Baekhyun’s chest as she looked into him. “Was you hurting like this too, when your wife died?”, she asked, looking straight into Baekhyun. Baekhyun silenced as he looked into her, there was no expression in his eye.

She blinked her eyes a few time, before gasping.

 “I-I’m sorry, I probably shouldn’t have asked tha-”, before Gyu Won managed to finish her line,  Baekhyun grabbed her hand and her face and planted a deep kiss by her lips.