C H A P T E R F O U R T E E N

Through The Funeral

“Why are you acting like this again?  What did I do wrong, now?.”, Baekhyun spoke in a firm tone as Gyu Won silenced, her gaze lowered on the ground.

“Gyu Won. Talk to me. You’re annoying the hell out of me.”, Baekhyun spoke more as he softly massaged his temple. Gyu Won scoffed. “I’m annoying the hell out of you? Oh really?”, she spoke in a sarcastic way as Baekhyun stared into her with creased brows.

        “If you’re going to do that all day then I might as well just leave.”, Baekhyun spoke, staring sharp at her. She stared back at him, not losing. “You want to know why I’m like this? You can’t figure it out by yourself, huh?”, she spoke in an angry tone as she placed her hand by her waist.

“Oh, I get it. You’re probably on your period, eh?”, Baekhyun mocked as his lips were curved into a smirk. Gyu Won scoffed. “Leave me alone.”, she spoke simply as she walked away from the scene.

Baekhyun stood still, his eyes lingered onto the back of her lover walking awat. Their relationship is breaking, and the two of them knows it clearly.

 

As she walked back home, she turned around. There was neither sight nor hint of Baekhyun following her. As her heart dropped, a single tear fell down. Baekhyun didn’t even try to make it up.


Chapter 14

Gyu Won managed to arrive home safely as she entered her apartment and closed the front door with a soft thud.

She dropped onto the couch as a sigh escaped . Everything has been hectic lately and all she wants is just some leisure time.

She went to freshen herself up and changed into a more comfortable clothes. As she lay on her bed, her phone ranged. She looked into the id caller which is Chanyeol.

 

“Hey, Chanyeol.”, she answered simple. “Did I woke you up?”, Chanyeol’s deep voice could be heard through the line as she chuckled softly. “No, you didn’t. I was just about to go to sleep.”, she responded as Chanyeol sighed in relieve.

“Anyway, I was just calling to tell you that next week it’s going to be Christmas and that we should be spending Christmas together this year. Along with your father. How about that?”, Chanyeol spoke as Gyu Won silenced for a while.

        Her lips formed into a small smile. “Yeah, that’d be great actually.”, she spoke. “Great! I’ll pick you up by your apartment after I’ve finished work, and let’s go to your father’s house together.”, Chanyeol spoke as she listened properly.

“Why don’t I just wait you by the coffee shop? I think it’ll be easier than for you to pick me up by my apartment. I don’t want to burden you.”, Gyu Won suggested as Chanyeol silenced for a while.

 

            “Whatever suits you, I guess. We can get a cup of coffee too.”, he responded as Gyu Won hummed a soft ‘hm’.

“Okay, sure. Father would totally appreciate it; we spending Christmas with him. Thanks, Yeol.”, she spoke as Chanyeol chuckled. “It’s nothing. I’ll see you on the 25th. Wear thick clothes, I don’t want you to get a cold. Goodnight.”, he spoke as Gyu Won responded with a soft ‘good night’.

 

She placed her phone by the small desk beside her bed, and shut both of her eyes tight, drifting off to dreamland.


The next few days were busy as Gyu Won had to take care of her mother’s casket, and burying process. She had decided to bury the coffin by the graveyard near Bucheon so that it’ll be easier for her father to visit.

Baekhyun rarely pops up her mind, and she really tried her best to avoid any thoughts about him.


It is finally Christmas, and the wall clock showed 6 in the evening.

It’s snowing heavily outside and she had put on several layers of clothes to avoid getting cold. She walked outside carefully, making her way toward the coffee shop.

       She took her phone and called her dad. “Dad, in about maybe one hour Chanyeol and I will arrive. Let’s have a great Christmas, okay? I bought you a gift too. I’m sure you’re going to love It.”, Gyu Won spoke through the line as her dad chuckled.

“Gyu Won, I’m really happy. I’d wish you arrive sooner, it’s really lonely here. Have a safe trip, okay?”, her dad responded as Gyu Won smiled. “I will, dad.”, she spoke and ended the call.

As she arrived inside the coffee shop, she ordered a hot drink and sat on one of the tables. She waited for Chanyeol to call, but 30 minutes had passed and he still hasn’t called.

 

She sighed out loud, wondering what is taking Chanyeol so long.

 

She took her phone out, dialing Chanyeol’s number. Chanyeol answered in a split second. “Hey, Chan. Where are you? I’ve been waiting for 30 minutes.”, she spoke, annoyance slightly filling her tone.

Chanyeol sighed frustratingly. “Gyu Won, I’m sorry, I’m really sorry. I don’t think I’d be able to make it. I still have way too many work that is due tomorrow.”, he spoke truthfully, as Gyu Won could feel her anger rising up.

“What do you mean, you can’t make it?”, she spoke, gritting her teeth. Chanyeol silenced.

“Park Chanyeol.”, she spoke sternly. Chanyeol sighed again. “I’m sorry, Gyu Won. I’ll make it up.”, he responded in an apologetic tone as Gyu Won scoffed. “Screw it. Screw you. Always so irresponsible.”, she spoke in an angry tone as she ended the call.

        She let out a frustrated sigh as she stood up and packed her things. She’s so angered and frustrated. A lot of things are going through her mind.

 

She walked out from the café and tried to stop a taxi. But due to the heavy snow, luck is not by her side. She stood for a good 20 minutes, and not a single taxi passed by.

Suddenly a car stopped beside her, she stared into the car in shock. The window rolled down, and the face of her ex-lover could be seen, Byun Baekhyun.

 

“Gyu Won, what are you doing in a weather like this?”, He asked, his tone filled with worry. Gyu Won stared in complete shock as then passed a smile. “I… am actually about to call for a taxi..”, she responded as Baekhyun smiled.

“Well, you’re in luck. Come on I’ll give you a ride.”, he spoke as Gyu Won laughed and shook her head.

      “No, no. I don’t want to cause you trouble. Plus, My destination is about 30 minutes from here. Thank you for your concern, though.”, Gyu Won spoke with a sweet smile. Baekhyun stared at her, pressing both of his lips together.

“Where are you heading exactly?”, He asked, his eyes focused on her. She smiled. “To my father’s house, I.. was actually supposed to be going with Chanyeol,but… that jerk..”, she stopped and laughed in frustration. “He canceled it on the very last minute.”, she continued as Baekhyun stared In shock.

“What a jerk?”, he spoke in anger as Gyu Won laughed and gave a nod. “Yup.”, she spoke simply.

 

“Well. get in.”, Baekhyun spoke with a smile as Gyu Won widened her eyes. “Baekhyun, there’s really no need, I’ll just get a taxi-“, before she can manage to finish her words, baekhyun immediately cut her off.

“Gyu Won, get in. I can go visit your father too. I’ll be celebrating Christmas alone anyway, so why not?”, he spoke and shrugged softly as Gyu Won stared into him with a smile. “Baek, are you being serious right now?”, She asked, confirming.

“Never been more serious.”, he spoke with a smile as Gyu Won chuckled. “Thank you, Baek. You’re, literally the best.”, Gyu Won spoke, about to burst into tears.

 

“Wow, wow hey don’t cry. Are you that touched?”, Baekhyun spoke with a smile. Gyu Won shook her head, her eyes tearing up.

“Everything has been so horrible, my mother’s death, and Chanyeol carelessly cancelling the plan last minute. This is, literally the kindest thing you had done.”, she murmured, wiping her tear.

             Baekhyun laughed out loud. “Hey, hey okay we’re going to be late. Get in the car.”


The ride was not awkward at all, the two of them chatted all the way through the ride, and the Christmas song played through the car made the atmosphere even more cheerful.

Even though it was snowing pretty heavily, they still made it to Gyu Won’s father’s house safely.

 

As they walked inside, her father’s face was filled with shock upon seeing Baekhyun.
 

“B-Baekhyun? I thought you’re coming with Chanyeol..?”, her dad spoke, confusion filling his tone. Gyu Won smiled just slightly. “Welp, Chanyeol couldn’t make it. So Baekhyun gave me a ride all the way to your house.”, she responded as her father smiled to Baekhyun.

“I’ve always wanted to see you again, Baekhyun. Come, everyone let’s go to the living room. I’ve cooked so many delicious thing!”, Mr Lee spoke in a cheerful tone as Baekhyun cheered out loud. “Yeahh!! I’ve missed your cooking!”, Baekhyun yelled as Gyu Won laughed out loud upon watching his reaction.


The whole living room was filled with chatter and laughter. The atmosphere was lovely, and everyone seemed to be enjoying every single moment.

“I didn’t get you any gift though, Mr Lee…”, Baekhyun spoke apologizingly, as Gyu Won’s father laughed just slightly. “You being here with me is a gift already.”, Mr Lee spoke in a joking tone as Baekhyun laughed. “Aw, you’re too sweet, Mr Lee.”, he spoke as Gyu Won laughed.

Gyu Won’s father stared at Gyu Won. His lip formed a small smile.


“It’s snowing too heavily. Just spend the night here, will you two?”, Mr Lee spoke in a gentle tone as both Baekhyun and Gyu Won looked into each other, hesitating.

“I’m totally fine with it if Baekhyun’s fine with it..”, Gyu Won spoke in a low tone as Baekhyun stared at her with widened eyes. “I-I really don’t mind.”, Baekhyun responded, stuttering.

Mr Lee smiled. “Baekhyun, you can use the guest room. And Gyu Won you can use your old room.”, He spoke more as Baekhyun nodded.

“Thank you for a great night, Mr Lee. I’ll go freshen up and get some sleep. Again, thank you so much for the hospitality.”, Baekhyun spoke politely with a slight bow as then proceeded his way to the guest room.

 

Mr Lee stared into her daughter, smiling teasingly. Gyu Won furrowed her brows, staring back at him. “What?”, she asked, smiling just a little.

Gyu Won’s father smiled wider. “You seemed happy tonight. Way too happy.”, He spoke in a playful manner as Gyu Won rolled her eyes with a smile. “I’m always happy on Christmas.”, she responded as her dad hummed.

“Really? It is not because of that Baekhyun guy?”, he spoke, whispering just slightly. Gyu Won’s eye widened. “Dad!”, she yelled just slightly as her father laughed out loud. “He’s just a friend.”, she spoke more.

 

Her dad rolled his eyes. “Yeah, yeah suuuure.”, he spoke, walking to his room. “It’s true!”, she yelled back as her dad laughed loudly. “Goodnight.”, her dad yelled back and closed the door with a soft thud.

She smiled as her eyes were lowered to the ground. Was she really happier? And was it really because of Baekhyun?


She entered her room and started changing into proper sleeping clothes. It has been years since the last time she had slept in her old bedroom. As she looked around, she noticed a specific box missing.

A box containing all her old stuff.

She looked around the room worryingly, as she then proceeded to go to her father’s bedroom. As she knocked, her father opened the door almost in an instant.

“Dad, sorry to bother you but have you saw a box with a tape ‘Gyu Won’s Old Stuff’ written on the top of it? I’m sure it used to be in my room..”, she spoke in a worried tone. Her father was silence for a while, before his face lit up.

“Ah, yes yes. I moved it to the guest room, because it was causing your room to be very cramped.  And there was more space in the guest room then your room-“, her dad spoke as Gyu Won gasped.

“You moved my old stuff to the guest room?!”, she spoke, her tone filled with anger, shock and fear.


Baekhyun entered the guest room with a sigh and a small smile. It was a great night and he honestly had never felt more alive. He lay on the bed, thinking about the moments he had with Gyu Won.

He closed his eye just for a while, the smile he had on his face is still stuck.

He stood up and took his tie off. As he was about to take his shirt off, he noticed a box placed by the corner of the room. He walked toward the box, the word ‘Gyu Won’s Old stuff’ is written on top of it.

         

            He chuckled. “I wonder what’s inside.”, he spoke to himself and dusted the slight dust on the box. He opened it very gently, and eyed the things inside it curiously.

There were lots of medicine bottle and prescription placed in it. He looked on the bottle, the word ‘Anti-Depressant’ written on it. There were also pills for migraines and hallucination.

There were also some medical letters. He read the letters in full concentration, his brows forming a deep crease.

 

“Official Mental Institution of Seoul

          Your daughter, Lee Gyu Won had attempted suicide by cutting her wrist and taking a huge amount of sleeping pills.

She will be locked in here for a while until her condition improves, it is best for you to keep a deep attention on her, as her condition may worsen by time.

The reason remains unknown, as she would not talk to both our counsellor and psychiatrist. But she did explained that she had been having hallucination at night and nightmares in her sleep.

      We are doing this for her best and will try our greatest to cure her. As for now, we kindly appreciate your cooperation in everything we do.

                                 Thank you.“

 

He softly gasped, not believing his eye. He dug deeper into the box, founding even more medicines and torn letters.

  The door creaked open, revealing a shocked Gyu Won. She blinked her eyes a few time, unsure of the sight in front of her.

Baekhyun stared at her; there was confusion on his face. There was fear too. “G-Gyu… what is this? You never told me about any of these..?”, he spoke, murmuring.

        Tears fell down from her eyes. “Y-You..”, she spoke, choking on her tears.

 

“You were not supposed to see that.”, she spoke, more tears falling down.


Author’s note :- Merry Christmas to those celebrating!