e c h o

OPERATION: LOVE
 
 
HAPPY SUNSHINE CHOI YOUNGJAE DAY~~~ ^____^
 
 
 
 
 
###
 
 
 
 
 
Youngjae laughed wholeheartedly as Jaebum continued frantically flung his arms around as the agent progressed on his story. The two just finished dinner together and now walking to Jaebum’s car. 
 
“And that’s how I was caught badmouthing my boss,” Jaebum sighed. “Jinyoung turned against me just because I borrowed his knife -the one that Mark gave him- without his permission. Bastard threw me under the bus.” 
 
Youngjae’s laughter died down to a light chuckle as he shook his head in amusement, “Jinyoung loves that knife. I kind of think you deserved it. I mean we all know that Mark is the best knife-wielder? Expert? Whatever. So of course it would be important to Jinyoung that Mark willingly gave one of his best dagger up.”
 
“I know that, obviously,” Jaebum scoffed. “But I’m saying, you know, I am his Captain.” 
 
“Yeah, but Jinyoung most likely listens to Mark more,” Youngjae smiled. “He loves him.” 
 
“Mark loves him, too.” 
 
“Oh, you bet. If he doesn’t, his wouldn’t be around. You can trust me on that.” 
 
“Woah, woah, woah, feisty one, aren’t you?” 
 
Youngjae let out a laugh again. Jaebum bit his lower lip as he watches the doctor enjoying himself. The pair made it to Jaebum’s car when suddenly, Youngjae stopped just right in front of the car. Jaebum stopped, too, confusion written all over his face. “You go on ahead. I can catch a cab.” Youngjae said. “Thank you for tonight,” the doctor added. 
 
“Oh, no. I can take you home. It’s okay, really,” Jaebum eagerly protested, maybe a little bit too quickly. 
 
Youngjae shook his head in disagreement. “It’s getting late. You must be tired. Head home first.” The doctor offered a soft smile, hoping that it’ll convince Jaebum to go on ahead. 
 
Jaebum furrowed his eyebrows together, “You sure?”
 
Youngjae gave a little nod.
 
“Okay then…” Jaebum sighed, a bit disappointed but he don’t need to admit that. “Before I go, one more thing.”
 
“What is it?”
 
“Are you free tomorrow’s night? Maybe.. Maybe we could grab dinner together again..?” The agent bashfully rubbed the back of his neck while smiling sheepishly at the doctor. 
 
“Well,” Youngjae found this whole situation all too fun. He wonders how long will this game last, because he’s slowly growing quite fond of it. “We are ‘dating’, so I guess we can.” Youngjae grinned. 
 
Jaebum flashed a blinding smile, “Great! I’ll pick you up at the hospital tomorrow’s night.” Jaebum leaned forward and pressed his lips against Youngjae’s cheek for a quick peck. Youngjae completely did not expect Jaebum to kiss him for the second time today. The smaller of the two stood a bit awkwardly in silence, again, battling if he should kiss the taller male back or- 
 
“O-okay,” Youngjae said instead, “Off you go now.” 
 
“Good night, Youngjae,” Jaebum smiled and turned to his car, opening the driver’s door.
 
Youngjae backed away so Jaebum can drive his car out of the parking space. When Jaebum was out, he rolled the window down and said “bye” to Youngjae with a playful wink. And then, the doctor watched as Jaebum drove away. 
 
Youngjae shook away the sudden rush of loneliness before he made his way out to the streets, hailing for a cab. 
 
 
 
*
*
*
 
 
 
The doctor punched in the code of his penthouse lazily. The machine lets out a small ‘ding’ and Youngjae found himself shuffling through the front door. Youngjae tiredly shrugged his coat off and threw it somewhere on the couch. He struggled out his dress shoes and kicked them carelessly aside. Youngjae head over to the fridge, opened it, and grabbed a brand new water bottle. He chugged down the whole bottle in one go. 
 
Damn, I’m thirsty as . 
 
Sighing to himself, Youngjae plopped down onto his couch. He threw his head back, eyes now staring up at the monochromatic ceiling. He thought about how his daily routines had changed in just matter of days. Every morning, he would wake up and gets ready for work. And every night, he would come home at some ungodly hour and maybe sleep for a mere three hours, before he wakes up and start his day again. Youngjae came to realization a long time ago that he doesn’t spend much time in his home, but rather, he’d hung around the hospital without much of a reason. 
 
He just wanted to feel that someone was always there. Youngjae hates being left alone. 
 
At times, he wished that he was still overseas where wars are going on. At least, he was never alone there. 
 
His life before his temporary departure overseas was a roller coaster ride. It was filled with excitement until the very end, it somehow broke down and Youngjae was falling from the pinnacle. At the moment, his fall was too sudden for anyone to be able to stood at the bottom and catch him. So Youngjae was left laying on the hard ground with broken bones and a shattered heart. He wanted to die right there and then, but Death didn’t want him. 
 
Nobody wanted him. 
 
Youngjae thought volunteering to go overseas will mend his pain. It did. For a bit. And then Youngjae was feeling it all over again. He decided to just ignore it. It’ll go away. Eventually. Hopefully. 
 
Everything was moving at a pleasant pace, and then bam, Im Jaebum appeared out of nowhere and slammed the brakes on Youngjae's life. 
 
Jaebum is sweet. So sweet that it got Youngjae thinking all of this is way too good to be true. Jaebum has that overwhelming confident and Youngjae would be lying if he say he wasn’t even swayed by it at least one bit. There’s no way Youngjae would agree to go out with Jaebum if the doctor wasn’t hooked by the agent’s way of wearing his confidence. 
 
Youngjae never liked another guy in a romantic sense anyways. He’s been loving girls all his life. There’s no reason for him to have a ‘boyfriend'. But when Youngjae thinks about the sparkle in Jaebum’s eyes and the mischievous grin that painted beautifully on the agent’s lips, it’s like a whole new discovery. The doctor knows he shouldn’t be thinking about it like this, but the thoughts bothered him sometimes. 
 
Youngjae waved it off, concluding that it’s been a long time since his last relationship, so he’s just curious. That’s all there is to it. Curiosity. Except curiosity ing kills the cat. 
 
“I better not be catching bull, oh my, God,” Youngjae covered his face with his hands as he groaned annoyingly. 
 
He stayed like that for awhile, thinking he should go for a shower. Youngjae got up and was about to drag himself to the shower when his phone rang loudly in the empty penthouse. Rolling his eyes, Youngjae dragged himself to fetch his phone instead.
 
“Who the calls at this forbidden hour,” Youngjae retrieved his phone out of the pocket of his coat. He immediately picked up the call as soon as his eyes set on the familiar characters of a special name. “Hello? Jinyoung?” 
 
“Hey…” 
 
Youngjae could hear the brokenness in his best friend’s hoarse voice.
 
“Hey, what’s wrong?” 
 
The line goes still for a moment. Youngjae was getting anxious. This isn’t good. Jinyoung rarely called this late at night. 
 
“Youngjae..” Jinyoung breathed out a shaky breath of air. 
 
Youngjae noticed his uneven breathing, “Have you been crying? Jinyoung, what’s wrong? Tell me. Come on. What’s going on?” 
 
“M-Mark, he-“ Jinyoung stopped, catching his breath.
 
“Jinyoung..?” 
 
“He left me, Youngjae-ah,” Jinyoung’s voice cracked. “Mark left me. Youngjae, what am I supposed to do..?” 
 
The news hit Youngjae like a bomb, “Don’t you ing do anything stupid, Park Jinyoung. I’m coming over right now.” 
 
Grabbing his coat that he threw earlier, Youngjae dashed out of his penthouse, eyes burning with dried tears. 
 
 
 
*
*
*
 
 
 
“What the do you think you’re ing doing right now, Mark ing Tuan!” Jaebum yelled into his phone. The Captain is pacing back and forth in his office, gripping tightly on the the electronic device that Mark had call him with, a phone. “FIRST OF ALL, WHEN THE DID YOU CAME BACK? SECOND OF ALL, WHAT THE BLOODY HELL IS GOING ON??” 
 
“Calm the down, Jae-“
 
“Don’t ing Jae me you ing bastard!”
 
“-bum. You’re so ing dramatic.”
 
“No. I am not,” Jaebum said through gritted teeth. He’s angry; angry at what Mark was planning on doing; angry at the horrible fact that he had found out about this news when he called Jinyoung to ask why wasn’t the Vice here at work, but instead of Jinyoung, a certain doctor picked up and before Jaebum could utter another word, Youngjae was screaming in Jaebum’s ear about the whole Mark being a huge and an insensitive . “You tell me what’s going on right now, Tuan. I don’t got time for this bull.” 
 
Jaebum wasn’t angry that Youngjae now probably hates him because the agent is best friends with Mark. He’s not angry about that at all. That’s not it. He’s just angry because Mark ruined his plan. That’s right. Jaebum is angry because Mark is interfering with his very important mission. 
 
“It is what you’ve heard,” came Mark’s reply in a totally relaxed voice. 
 
“I can’t believe this,” Jaebum finally sat down on his contemporary black high-back chair that’s set neatly behind Jaebum’s large desk. “He ing loves you! He ing loves you so ing damn much, and this is what you’re giving him??! Jinyoung doesn’t deserve this, Mark. You, of all people, should know what kind of pain he’s been through when you’re away for too long. It’s been a little over a year since you came back. And now when you are back, you’re feeding him with this unfair hellhole? You’re better than this, you piece of !” 
 
Jaebum heard Mark sighed over the line, “Oh my ing God. You still have the decency to sigh?” 
 
“Jaebum-“
 
“Mark, don’t do this, please. You can’t do this.”
 
“Listen-“
 
“He loves you, Mark. And I know you love him, too,” Jaebum sincerely said. “Don’t treat him like this. PLEASE.” 
 
“But this is the best for the both of us. Jaebum, I can’t-“
 
“Consider us strangers if you take off that ring, Mark.”
 
Didn’t wait for Mark’s response, Jaebum ended the call abruptly. The agent threw his phone on the desk. He could care less about its condition right now. Even over two decades of knowing Mark, Jaebum couldn’t figure out what the actual hell is going on in Mark’s mind right now. Jaebum meant it when he said Jinyoung didn’t deserve any of this. Jinyoung is dealing with so much all the time, yet he still firmly stood by Jaebum’s side. And Jaebum willingly will break off his most treasured friendship just for Jinyoung. 
 
Picking up his phone again, Jaebum decided to call Jinyoung. 
 
“Could you stop calling?!” Obviously, Youngjae picked up. “It’s getting very annoying.”
 
Jaebum pretended that Youngjae’s harsh tone didn’t bothered him, “I just wanted to check up-“
 
“No need,” Youngjae cut Jaebum off. “He has me.” 
 
“But don’t you have work..?”
 
“I’ll go to the later shift.”
 
“Oh.. Okay.. Um.. Listen, Mark-“
 
“Don’t ing mention that name.”
 
“Youngjae, please understand that-“
 
“The papers are coming in three days, he said. Well, two days now.”
 
Jaebum didn’t know what to say. He can’t defend his best friend since Mark is the here. It’s already hard enough as it is for Jaebum, listening to Youngjae’s cold voice. 
 
“If.. If there’s anything I can do,” Jaebum offered weakly. “Don’t hesitate to call.” 
 
“You can stop calling,” Youngjae finalized. “That’s what you can do.” 
 
“All right,” Jaebum sighed in defeat. “Goodbye, Youngjae.” 
 
 
 
*
*
*
 
 
 
The Captain’s head jerked up in instinct as he heard the creak of his office’s door. Walking in with a staggering figure was the Vice Captain. It’s only been three days but Jinyoung looked like he hasn’t eaten anything for a year. Jinyoung looked so drained out. He looked like all he did during the past days was crying himself to sleep. Jaebum stood up, feeling his stomach clenched at how awful Jinyoung looked. 
 
“You didn’t have to come today,” Jaebum walked over to Jinyoung. “JYP wanted you to take as many time as you need.”
 
“No, it’s okay..” Jinyoung managed a small smile. “I can’t just let you do everything alone.” 
 
Jaebum shook his head but still wrapped his arms around Jinyoung’s shoulders, “I’m so sorry, Jinyoung-ah. I’m so ing sorry..”
 
Jinyoung returned the hug, “It’s not your fault, Jaebum-hyung. It’s okay. I’m fine.. For now..”
 
“You really need some more rest,” Jaebum suggested after he pulled away. “Go home. I got this covered.”
 
“As much as I want to, I can’t. Boss is calling us in for a very important announcement, remember?” 
 
“Oh, right,” Jaebum grimaced. JYP doesn’t call Jaebum’s unit in for meetings quite often nowadays. This got to be extremely important. “Well then, shall we go?”
 
Jaebum took Jinyoung’s exhausted smile as a ‘yes’ and proceeded to the door, holding it open for Jinyoung to come through. The two agents entered the huge meeting room. Their teammates all stood up and bowed slightly, greeting the Captain and his Vice. Jaebum and Jinyoung nodded in acknowledgement and took their seat. JYP darted a sympathetic smile towards Jinyoung to which the agent bitterly smiled in return. No one else was aware of Jinyoung’s situation besides the Big Boss and Jaebum. But that didn’t stop Bambam and Yugyeom from occasionally stealing worry glances at their ill-looking Vice Captain.
 
“Alright,” JYP began without further delay. “I’m sorry to have called in this sudden meeting. And I know that it is unfair how all the other special units aren’t here. As you all had been informed, the other units are off on their own missions. It’s just this one isn’t busy at the moment.”
 
Bambam scoffed. Saying that they’re not busy is an understatement. JYP, for a second, glared at Bambam. 
 
“Now, if you would bear with me,” JYP continued. The Boss stood up from his seat and moved towards the door in front of the room. All agents’ eyes were on him, focused and curious. "The higher-ups are starting a collaboration project between the United States of American and the Republic of Korea. A few American agents are already been sent over. Their flight arrived a couple days ago.”
 
Jaebum couldn’t help it but let out a soft exhale. He could hear Jinyoung’s racing heartbeat next to him. If everything adds up then…
 
“This special division is the Elite Corporation of Inter-protection, or E.C.I. The government had been planning this project for a very long time, and now they’re ready to execute it. The top agents have been thoroughly picked.” JYP scanned around the room, studying all of his agents’ mildly shocked faces. “There’s two teams. One resides here, and one assigned over in the States. Today, I want you to meet them.”
 
The quiet room escalated into soft whispers and opened excitement. Jaebum and Jinyoung are stilled on the chairs, getting ready for the worse to come. JYP sighed. 
 
“Anyways, just know that everyone on this team is extremely well trained, even more trained than all of you, so don’t be afraid to turn your back to them; they’re capable enough to assist in anything and everything.” The Boss then turned the door handle, “Now, please welcome our new teammates.”
 
A line of dark suited men and women of all nationality and races neatly piled into the meeting room. Bambam had counted eighteen people. Jaebum and Jinyoung got up from their seats simultaneously. The two headed over to the new team. 
 
“Hello, I’m Im Jaebum, Captain of Unit G, and this is my Vice Captain, Park Jinyoung.” Jaebum secretly thanked Mark for being his roommate back during their college years. Mark’s random English moments had helped out a lot. 
 
“I hope we all can work well together,” Jinyoung forced a smile as he slurred out perfect English that Mark had taught him when they were dating. 
 
Everyone took turn and introduced themselves. There were some recognizable Korean faces among the sea of foreigners. It was an awkward atmosphere due to language barriers, but every person in the room were welcoming and friendly towards newcomers. Jaebum and Jinyoung represented the entire K.N.S.S. force and shook hands with E.C.I.
 
After all the greetings were done, JYP cleared his throat, preparing for the next announcement. “It is a short notice that the Vice Captain of E.C.I. could not make it here today, however, we’ll get to meet him in a couple of weeks. He had some errands to run for the White House, so it’s only the Captain that’s here,” JYP in a long breath and slowly exhaled. The older man felt sorry all of a sudden. “Here is the Captain of E.C.I.”
 
Every person’s attention in the room was turned towards the opened door. The agents of Unit G lets out small gasps as soon as they see who was going to enter. Jinyoung held his breath. Jaebum clenched his fists. 
 
With such light footsteps and a graceful walk, a man, who’s black suit clung firmly around his lean but incredibly fitted figure and black coffee shaded hair that’s styled handsomely in a professional yet attractive appearance, entered the room. Yugyeom swore everyone was taken back at how stunning he is. 
 
“Hello, I’m Mark Tuan,” he smiled, his canines baring alluringly, “And the Captain of E.C.I. Thank you for welcoming us. I’m sorry that our Vice could not attend, but I am looking forward to working with you all.” Mark greeted in Korean, the language in which he’s so used to by now.
 
“Welcome, Captain Tuan,” Jaebum stepped up and shook Mark’s hand. “We hope you enjoy your stay.” That last bit was said through dripping sarcasm.
 
Mark politely lowered his head in a short bow, “Of course.” 
 
Jaebum glared at his best friend and retreated back to his Vice’s side. The Captain glanced over at Jinyoung and immediately regretted that decision. 
 
Jinyoung looked so empty. 
 
 
 
*
*
*
 
 
 
“I knew it,” Jaebum spat, “You’re such an .” 
 
“Jaebum, I believe this is a professional place, control yourself, please,” Mark calmly said. 
 
“There’s no one around. I can say whatever the hell I want.”
 
Mark sighed, “I know you didn’t just pulled me out in the middle of friendly interactions to say how much of an I am.” 
 
“Actually, I am. Now that we’re face-to-face, it’s easier to throw punches at that pretty face of yours.” 
 
“Jae-“
 
“Listen here, you little ,” Jaebum’s vision was clouded by suppressed anger. “This is such a goddamn low move and you know it. You can’t just break his precious heart and then drop the news that you’ll be staying in Korea from now on. Are you out of your mothering mind? Where were you when you two were happily married? You know how much Jinyoung wanted you to work in Korea, but you didn’t. And now you suddenly are. You can’t just show up like this, especially when you just threw him aside three days ago!”
 
Mark didn’t say anything. He silently listened to every words that’s furious escaped from his best friend’s mouth. Jaebum was so tempted to pull out his gun and shoot Mark in the leg. 
 
“ing say something, Mark!” Jaebum turned around and punched the first thing he sees, the wall. “ing tell me and Jinyoung that you’re a sick bastard so that’s why you’re just pulling a joke because of how much you ing misses your husband! Tell me, Mark, please..”
 
Mark looked at Jaebum with unreadable eyes. Mark shook his head slightly and turning himself, walking off. Jaebum wasn’t going to let that happen. He grabbed Mark’s elbow roughly and yanked the man back, “Don’t you dare. We’re not done, Mark Tuan-“
 
“E-excuse me,” a timid voice interrupted the two Captains' quarrel, it was Jinyoung’s. “Boss would like you two to return, please.” 
 
“You heard him, Jaebum,” Mark quietly said. “Let go.” 
 
Jaebum stubbornly held onto Mark’s arm, his nails digging into the fabric of Mark’s expensive suit. Mark sort of winched at the subtle pain that’s shooting up his arm. Jinyoung noticed and hurriedly stepped in between the two, softly ripping Jaebum’s hand away from his husband’s arm. Only then that Jaebum lets go. 
 
“Stop it,” Jinyoung said softly, almost a whisper, but it was clear enough that both Mark and Jaebum heard him. “Just stop it, Jaebum. It’s fine. Don’t make such a big scene out of this. It’s unnecessary.”
 
Jaebum admired Jinyoung for still being so strong even now, especially now, “How could you just defend him like that? What he did to you, how could you-“
 
“Jaebum, please, drop it,” Jinyoung raised his head and met Jaebum precisely in the eyes. “There’s nothing you can do right now.” 
 
Jaebum looked at Jinyoung, then at Mark who’s calmly standing there behind Jinyoung’s protective form. Jaebum let out an irritated groan, “Mark, you coward! Say something! Jinyoung is still ing protecting you!” 
 
Mark sighed, “It’s been three days.” 
 
“I know,” Jinyoung said without looking back at his beloved husband, soon-to-be-ex-husband, “I’ll have everything ready, but I just need more time, can I?” 
 
Jaebum is feeling all type of emotions at the moment. He just wants to pull Jinyoung into his arms and comfort the broken male. He just wants to push Mark off the bridge for being completely insensitive and cold about this whole situation. It appears that only Jinyoung was deeply affected out of the two. 
 
“Of course,” Mark replied a bit too softly for Jaebum’s judgment of the E.C.I. Captain's cold attitude, “Anything you want. Take all the time you need.”