u n i f o r m

OPERATION: LOVE

 

 

 

 
“Let me through!” Youngjae tried to break through the holds of the hospital’s security guards.
 
Senior Doctor, Yenny, had ordered them to stop Doctor Choi from advancing. Youngjae watched as the nurses pushed the stretcher further down the hall. More patients were coming in. The explosions had obliterated the entire building, leaving it in debris. Many were dead before the ambulances arrived while the numbers of injured people kept on increasing. The hospital was noisy and emergency surgeons were slowly running out. 
 
“He needs to be operated immediately!” Youngjae shouted, the side of his face, front of his shirt, parts of his dark pants, was covered in blood. Not his blood. “He’s losing too much blood. I’ve only managed to keep him breathing on the way here, but please! Let me operate on him. Any more seconds longer and he’ll die!” 
 
“What’s his name, Youngjae,” Yenny asked calmly, hoping Youngjae would soon snaps out of it and realizes the important rule of a doctor. 
 
“What-“
 
“Tell me his name.”
 
Youngjae looked around, searching for something intangible, “name… Name… Mark. Mark Tuan.”
 
“He’s your friend, isn’t he?”
 
“Yes. He’s my hyung. He’s the husband of my best friend and my boyfriend’s best friend, Mark Tuan.”
 
You know you can’t operate on family and friends, Doctor Choi.” 
 
“I-I-I know, but there’s no one else, isn’t there?! I’m the only one available! If he doesn’t get operated now, he’ll die. And I can’t let that happen. If I have the power to save him, then I will. I can’t let him die, Yenny-noona, please, just this once,” Youngjae begged, anxious as each second goes by. 
 
Yenny looked at her junior with worried eyes. Youngjae wasn’t in the best condition to perform any surgeries. The kid’s sweating and bloodied in someone else’s blood. He looked absolutely horrible and his hands are shaking. “Youngjae, you’re not-“
 
“DOCTOR! HIS HEARTBEAT IS DROPPING VERY FAST!” Sana yelled. “Someone please just come help!!” 
 
Ignoring everything else, Youngjae pushed through the guards and sprinted down to where the nurses are carrying Mark into. He cupped his already bloodied hands over Mark’s widely opened wound, trying to stop the bleeding. Youngjae ignored the coldness of his hyung’s skin as he continued to hope for the best. 
 
“Get a room ready! Anymore wasted second and we’ll lose him!” Youngjae commanded loudly. He looked down at Mark, whose eyes are closed peacefully. Youngjae choked back a cried as his hands shook. “Come on, hyung. You can’t go like this, you idiot. You have to pull through this.” 
 
Youngjae didn’t bother changing into proper surgical attire. Time was ticking and each second indicated a part of Mark’s life being taken away. He immediately began operating as soon as the stretcher entered the room. Youngjae quickly puts on the mask and signaled his nurses to bring him the tools. 
 
Youngjae has always been a fighter no matter what situation is it. If this calls for him to fight for his hyung’s life, then he will. It was Youngjae who had founded Mark in the middle of the ruins. If Mark was founded another minute later, the agent would have bled to death. Youngjae did his best to cover the wounds, but Mark wouldn’t stop bleeding. Throughout that whole ride back to the hospital, there wasn’t one moment that Youngjae could rest. His hands were constantly busy grabbing this and grabbing that to temporary tended the wounds that’s scattered all over Mark’s body. Some of them were gunshots. Some of them were knife cuts. Some of them were made by the pressure of falling pieces of the building as it succumbed to the ground. 
 
“Doctor, patient’s heartbeat is currently dropping,” a nurse informed.
 
, Youngjae cursed. He’s too nervous to see things clearly. Like Yenny had thought, Youngjae wasn’t in his best condition to operate. “This won’t do, remove patient's clothing articles.” 
 
The nurses got to it in a fast pace. Youngjae got down to Mark’s hand and stopped abruptly on the white gold band that’s sparkling on the agent’s finger. Youngjae decided to leave it on. 
 
“Sir, please do continue,” one of the nurses rushed in a polite tone. 
 
Nodded, Youngjae went back to operating, his hands had stopped shaking. 
 
“You can do this, Mark-hyung,” Youngjae whispered. “Fight like how everyone else is fighting for you right now.”  
 
 
 
*
*
*
 
 
 
For the past hours, Jaebum sat there, hugging a still crying Jinyoung. His eyes were heavy and heart was tired. The Captain’s tears were already dried up. No more left to spilt. It was torture, watching Jinyoung sobbing nonstop. Jaebum never thought there’ll be a day where he’ll have to experience it. He also never thought there’ll be a day where he won’t see his best friend ever again. 
 
And it shocks him. And angers him.
 
Jaebum was angry at Mark for dealing with everything alone like it’s too irrelevant for others to actually care. He was angry that Mark took matters into his own hands instead of seeking help. But what could have been done? Everything is too late now. The Captain bit his lip and pulled his Vice closer. The only thing they could do right now was to share each other’s sorrow. 
 
“You know,” Jaebum said, to no one in particular, “we just want to go home.” 
 
“No,” JYP sighed, “you can’t. I have to make sure both of you stay put and safe in here.” 
 
“There’s no such thing as ‘safe’ at a time like this,” Jinyoung spoke up, his tone cold and menacing, surprise both the Captain and Chief Commander, “I have to do something before I lose my patience with the way all of you pathetically handling this.” 
 
Jaebum immediately pulled Jinyoung away from himself and stared at his Vice Captain, “Jinyoung, no. You can’t possibly be thinking-“
 
“I’ve got nothing to lose, Jaebum. Mark was all I had,” Jinyoung deadpanned, staring right back at Jaebum. “No Mark means I’ve already lost everything. What even is right or wrong anymore?” 
 
“Stop it, Jinyoung. There are better ways to solve this. There’s absolutely no reason for you to resort to that.” 
 
“I don’t care. If it means I can wiped out those dirty bastards, then I will do it.”
 
Jaebum didn’t know what else to say. Chairman Park’s power is scary. The young master probably owns the government himself. He’s untouchable. And powerful as . Even Jaebum was afraid to say anything. Going against Park Jinyoung only translates to digging your own grave. 
 
So Jaebum kept quiet and looked towards JYP, hoping the Chief Commander could put in some words. Jinyoung’s thirst for blood and vengeance is proactively malicious as each second ticks by. Chief Commander Park just shook his head and backed away a bit to the door of the station, messaging to Jaebum that he can’t risk angering Chairman Park any further. 
 
Sighing, Jaebum patted Jinyoung’s shoulder, “I know exactly how you feel right now, but let’s think rationally and not pull any unnecessary tricks, yeah?” 
 
“Then, think of something useful!” Jinyoung snapped; there’s only so much he could tolerate. He turned to JYP, eyes narrowing dangerously, “if you haven’t stop us, my husband would have been saved! You !” 
 
“Jinyoung, be respectful!” Jaebum also raised his voice. “I know you’re upset and angry and feeling like but-“
 
“SHUT THE UP, IM JAEBUM,” the Vice Captain breathed heavily with balled fists. “IF YOU CAN’T BRING MARK BACK TO ME, THEN SHUT THE UP. I don’t want to hear from you.” 
 
The Captain was quickly offended and got on his feet, “well, you’re going to have to, because let me tell you that you’re NOT the only one who’s hurting, so sit your down and re-think about your reckless actions.” 
 
“I said,” Jinyoung growled through gritted teeth, “I don’t want to hear from you.” And as quick as a cheetah, Jinyoung swung a punch right at Jaebum’s jaw, causing the Captain to staggered back a couple steps due to the sudden impact.
 
Jaebum held his jaw as a sting resonated throughout his entire body. “What the hell, Jinyoung?” 
 
Before things get even more messy, JYP stepped in, plotting himself between a confused Jaebum and enraged Jinyoung. “Agents, pull your goddamn selves together. Fighting each other isn’t the solution, especially when the two of you have the best teamwork out of the whole Sector. Snap out of it, please.” 
 
“I’ll snap out of it if you’ll ing move and let me go,” Jinyoung sneered, crossing his arms against his chest, eyes boring indifferently into his Boss’s worried ones. 
 
“No one leaves here until I get the situation in check,” JYP said.
 
Jaebum sighed and sat back down, displaying his last ounce of patience. Jinyoung stayed standing and glaring without shame. “I’ll do whatever the I want,” were the Vice’s final words before he took out his phone and dialed a number. 
 
It didn’t took long for the remaining of the E.C.I. to show up and had JYP’s men tied up. Jackson walked, his face has never been so grim. “We’re here on orders.”
 
What orders?” Chief Commander Park was stunned; he couldn’t believe Jinyoung would do it. 
 
Jaebum gave up on stopping Jinyoung altogether. He knew exactly what Jinyoung did. His Vice Captain had directly called the President of the Republic of Korea to alter the authority. With the President’s power-in-command, the E.C.I. gained the rights to ignore all protocols and break any orders of any Chief Commanders without receiving any punishments. In other words, the E.C.I. could do whatever the hell they felt like doing without any restrains. 
 
And of course, only Chairman Park have that kind of power to even dared requesting favors with the President, to which the President actually complied because Jinyoung does hold the entire economy within the palms of his hands. Again, going against Park Jinyoung is like going against Death itself. 
 
It’s good that Jinyoung chose to work for the K.N.S.S. full-time than actually managing his company full-time. It’ll be hell if Jinyoung didn’t work for the government. They’re glad that someone as powerful as Jinyoung is working for them, but then, at any time that he desires, Jinyoung could choose to rebel, which isn’t exactly a pretty idea for the nations.
 
“The orders are for you to release Captain Im and Vice Captain Park,” Jackson informed, “anyone who defies the order will be detained and suspended.” 
 
JYP scoffed and laughed loudly, “what a low move, Park Jinyoung.” 
 
“I’ve got a lot more,” Jinyoung smirked. “Now if you excuse me.” Rushing out, Jinyoung didn’t even spared anyone a second glance. The only thing on his mind is to get to that building and find Mark. 
 
Turning to Jaebum and Jackson, JYP offered a smile that showed how relieved he was, “let me update you two on Mark’s situation, since that very important person seems to be in such a hurry.”
 
 
 
*
*
*
 
 
 
“Are you okay, sir?” 
 
“Does it look like I’m okay?!!” Gabsoo roared angrily at his bodyguard. “What kind of ty job are you useless rats doing?!!”
 
“We’re sorry, sir!”
 
Chief Commander Kim barely made it out of that collapsing building alive in one piece. He would have been fine, except, he lucked out and ran into, of course, the E.C.I. Captain. Now, Mark is a direct witness of Gabsoo’s attendance at the meeting. 
 
“Let’s hope you stupid bastards didn’t disappoint me and finished him off,” Gabsoo sighed and plopped down onto the sofa of his office. 
 
“Mark Tuan is currently in surgery right now, sir.”
 
His eyes shot opened, “WHAT?!”
 
“S-sir, we don’t know how-how it happened…” 
 
Gabsoo threw the cup of water that he’s holding down hardly against the floor in fury, “NONE OF YOU COULD DO YOUR JOB RIGHT! KILL HIM. I WANT HIM DEAD. I. WANT. MARK. TUAN. DEAD. DO YOU UNDERSTAND?!!!”
 
“Yes, sir!” 
 
 
 
*
*
*
 
 
 
Unable to drive properly, Jinyoung had one of his men driving instead. The sun was already rising above the horizon as the vehicle zoomed passed in great speed. Throughout the whole ride, Jinyoung was biting his lips and gripping his thighs to hold himself together. Everything just hurts so much and Jinyoung didn’t even realized how weak he is without his Mark. 
 
Then, all Jinyoung felt was just pure regrets. He regretted trusting Mark to tell him about his lies. He regretted waiting for Mark to open up to him about what he was hiding these past days. He regretted letting Mark gets away with everything. He regretted not having a longer lunch with Mark. He regretted not kissing Mark longer before leaving to head back to his office. He regretted not calling Mark for the rest of the day. He regretted thinking Mark will be fine handling everything on his own. He regretted not holding Mark back. 
 
Jinyoung regretted not telling Mark how in love he is with him. 
 
Jinyoung regretted not telling Mark everything he loves about him.
 
Jinyoung regretted not telling Mark a lot things. 
 
Jinyoung regretted letting Mark go.
 
He regretted it all. 
 
His heart won’t stop clenching and breaking by the second. How is he still alive? Wasn’t he supposed to be dead the moment his husband had hung up on him? Why is it so hard to breathe, yet he’s still not dead? What is the meaning life anymore? Mark was his means to live, to function, to move forward. But what is all of that now that Mark’s gone?
 
Should Jinyoung just gives up on it all? 
 
All he ever needed was Mark. 
 
There’s nothing else he needed more than he needed Mark. 
 
Yet, he was helpless when his husband was dying. He couldn’t even go to Mark when he was the person Mark had needed the most. 
 
Jinyoung just wants to hold the love of his life in his arms even if it’s for the last time. 
 
His heart was permanently broken. And the scars will not fade away. Ever. 
 
“S-sir,” the driver timidly called out to his Boss, “your phone, sir.” 
 
Without removing his eyes from the window, Jinyoung reached into his pants’ pocket and picked up the call. It was Suzy. 
 
“What is it?” Jinyoung asked, not putting much care into what Suzy has to say. 
 
“Vice Captain, sir, you have to get to the hospital right now.”
 
“Why?”
 
“Please, sir, it’s extremely important.” 
 
“I’m on my way to the site right now,” Jinyoung said, “nothing is more important than that.”
 
“No,” Suzy disagreed, her voice stern and challenging, “Jinyoung, please, nothing is more important to you than this. Please, listen to me and head over to the hospital right now.” 
 
Hanging up the call, Jinyoung instructed his driver to turn back around, changing their destination to S.K. United.
 
 
 
*
*
*
 
 
 
“Captain! Jackson-hyung!” Bambam shouted as he sees the two agents ran down the corridor. 
 
Yugyeom and Suzy got up from their seats and simply greeted their superiors. Jaebum and Jackson nodded in acknowledgement before pushing pass to try to see what’s going on behind the doors of the ER. Obviously, they couldn’t see anything. 
 
“What’s happening?” Jaebum turned towards s. “Is everything okay?”
 
Suzy was the first to speak up, “no, sir. Captain Tuan had lost a lot of blood and his wounds are very fatal. Doctor Choi is operating as we speak.” 
 
“Actually, he’s been operating for couple of hours already and I heard that there isn’t much progress,” Yugyeom added to Suzy’s information. 
 
Jackson kicked one of the seat and rubbed his face with his hand. “. I knew it.” 
 
Captain Im just slumped down into a seat and puts his head between his palms. All that is left to do is hope. Jaebum doesn’t want to lose Mark. Neither does anyone else that’s waiting in desperation. 
 
The loud rapid thuds and clanks of hard leather shoes' heels against vinyl floorings made everyone turned their heads. 
 
“Vice Captain-“ Yugyeom slowly stood up.
 
“Where is he?” Jinyoung grabbed a hold of Yugyeom’s shoulders and demanded an answer. 
 
“Inside, sir,” Suzy got up, “still in surgery.”
 
“Condition?” Jinyoung’s voice couldn’t help but slightly shook anxiously. 
 
“Very bad,” Jaebum said from his sitting position. “We’re hoping he’ll make it, but we don’t know.” 
 
Jinyoung lets go of Yugyeom and exhaled unevenly, “who’s the doctor?”
 
“Youngjae,” both Jaebum and Suzy answered in unison, adding on more to the pressured atmosphere. 
 
Nodding slowly and a bit reassuringly, Jinyoung finds himself trusting Youngjae. 
 
They sat there, waiting and waiting. Bambam had already fallen asleep on Yugyeom’s shoulder while the taller chatted quietly with Jackson. Suzy was leaning against the wall with her arms crossed against her chest worriedly. Jaebum and Jinyoung were just drowning in silence.
 
After a few more hours, the ER doors opened, revealing Doctor Choi, who’s covered in Mark’s blood. Everyone jolted awake and rushed over to him. Jaebum didn’t miss the way Youngjae’s body was swaying off balance. 
 
“Youngjae,” Jinyoung lightly grabbed his best friend’s arm, “how is he, please?” 
 
They looked at Youngjae with sparks of hope in their eyes. Youngjae pulled down his mask and opened his mouth. “He… He-“
 
Because of exhaustion caused by the adrenaline that’s dry of Youngjae’s energy, his body gave out completely. Jaebum was quick to catch the fallen doctor. 
 
“Youngjae! Youngjae-ah!” The Captain shook his boyfriend who’s now fainting in his arms. “Get me a room! He’s losing consciousness.”
 
Jaebum lifted Youngjae up and carried him to the room that’s directed by Sana, who was also coming out from the surgical room behind Youngjae. Putting the passed out doctor on the bed, Jaebum quickly inserted an IV needle into the supposed veins, letting the liquid nurture his lover back to health. 
 
Outside, Jinyoung was nervous and on the verge of breaking down for probably the thousandth time in the past forty-eigth hours. He needs to know what’s happening. Good or bad. He needs to know. 
 
“Since Doctor Choi is in an invalid position,” Sana announced. “I am here to give you the results of the Doctor’s operation on Patient 049, Mark Tuan-ssi. Before that, though, I just want everyone to be prepare for the better and worse.”