b r a v o

OPERATION: LOVE
 
 
 
 
 
It was only the start of a typical day when the agent received a message from his secretary. And it wasn’t great news, at least not news that Mark enjoyed hearing. 
 
“Goddamnit,” Mark cursed in his mother’s tongue. 
 
“S-sir, I-“ the blond hair, blue eyes secretary, Dylan, panicked upon seeing his boss’ wrath. “Y-your friend is in sur-surgery r-right now, I believed.”
 
“He’s not a friend, Dylan,” Mark ran his hand through his dark hair in frustration. “He’s my best friend. He’s the guy I’ve known all my life.”
 
“Y-yes, y-you’re right, sir,” Dylan stuttered out of habit of being overly nervous. “But-but I’m s-s-sure he’ll be al-alright, s-s-sir..”
 
“For the love of God, stop stuttering. I’m stressed out enough.”
 
“Y-yes, s-sir!”
 
Mark sighed, “Jinyoung, my husband, he’s not hurt? Is he okay? Physically and mentally?” 
 
“N-no, sir, at least there’s n-no reports of-of it..”
 
“Okay, got it, you can leave, Dylan.” 
 
“Yes, sir! I-I-I ho-hope you’ll feel-feel better, sir..”
 
Mark nodded tiredly at Dylan. The secretary hurried out the doors, closing them silently behind him. Mark plopped down on the spinning chair behind his large desk. He picked his phone, dialing a far way too familiar number. It didn’t even rang three times before someone from the other line picked up. 
 
Mark could hear the heavy breathing.
 
“Hey, baby, you okay?” Mark gently spoke into his phone while his free hand fiddled with a fountain pen. 
 
“Mark… You… You son of a .”
 
“Jinyoung..”
 
“Where the are you? Your ing best friend, only couple hours ago, jumped in front of a bullet for me, your husband. And where the are you now?! Are you on your way, Mark? Are you… Are you coming home?”
 
“Jinyoung, baby, I-“
 
“Does it takes Jaebum’s life for you to come back home?” Mark could tell Jinyoung was on the edge of breaking into tears no matter how stable he might have sounded. “Please, please, please tell me that you’re on the plane right now or even at the airport. Just tell me you’re coming home. Mark, baby, I miss you so much..”
 
“I know,” Mark calmly said. “I miss you, too. I’m sorry. Honey, I’m so sorry.”
 
The line went quiet for a minute or so. Mark knows exactly that Jinyoung is desperately trying to hold back from sobbing into his phone. This had happened too many times. 
 
“It’s-it’s okay,” Jinyoung finally answered. “I.. I understand. I’ll handle things over here. Jae-Jaebum is still in surgery. Don’t you worry, he’s in good hands.” 
 
“It’s Youngjae, isn’t it?” Mark smiled. Jinyoung always liked praising Youngjae.
 
“Yeah. Youngjae’s in there. He’s probably sweating his off right now, but he’s doing his best. You know, Choi Youngjae always does his best.” 
 
“I’m sure. I’ll thanks him later, personally.”
 
“He’d like it if you thanks him in person, though,” Jinyoung tried one more time. “Just a thought.”
 
Mark knows perfectly that it doesn’t matter to the doctor if he’s being thanked in person or not. Mark coming home is all that matters to Jinyoung. 
 
“Alright, go take care your team,” Mark reluctantly suggested. “Although I prefer to hear your voice all day, you got work to do and so do I.”
 
“O-okay..”
 
“Good luck, Vice-Captain.”
 
“Yeah.. Thanks..”
 
Another silence. None of them wanted to hang up. 
 
“Hey, Mark..?” 
 
“What is is, babe?”
 
“I love you.”
 
“I love you, too,” Mark replied. “Bye for now. I’ll call later, okay?”
 
“Okay, bye.. I love you.”
 
The phone call ended. Jinyoung hung up first. Mark leaned back on his chair. He realized he couldn’t take it anymore. It was getting harder and harder as each day went by. Talking through phone, texting, video callings weren’t enough for Mark. He wants more. He needs more. 
 
A knock disrupted the uncomfortable, wistful atmosphere of the room. Mark sighed. Here we go, again.     
 
“Ayyyeee! My man, Mark!” A patch of bleached hair poked into Mark’s office. “How ya doin’!”
 
“What is it, Jackson,” Mark leaned forward and rubbed his hands over his face. “What do you want this time?” 
 
“Yo, chill,” Jackson faked an ‘offended' face. “Just dropping by to check up on my fellow Captain.” 
 
Jackson Wang, one of the supervisors of a special division in CIA. Mark met Jackson on a case that involved a national bombing, because apparently, the higher-ups decided that it’ll be an awesome opportunity to put the Special Ops of Secret Services to use for ‘reputation’ reasons. Bull. However, being the Captain, Mark complied to it. And so, Jackson and Mark worked together and got along pretty well. They became good friends, and Jackson occasionally visits Mark when the CIA agent happens to be in the city. 
 
“I’m fine,” Mark said. “Before this morning anyways.”
 
“Woah. What’s up?”
 
“Jaebum got shot while trying to save Jinyoung.”
 
“Damn. I hope they’re okay. I’m sorry to hear that.”
 
“Yeah. Jae’s still in surgery — it’s been a whole night — and my baby’s probably still in shock, but he’s handling well.” 
 
“Well, may whoever they worshippin’ be with them in their rough times,” Jackson finally took a seat. “Brace your heart, Mark. I came with news.”
 
Mark don’t even have to lift his head up to clarify how serious Jackson was being. He could tell by the firm and tightness of each word that left Jackson’s mouth. 
 
Jackson proceed on since he took his friend’s silence as a ‘yes’, “There's a special order for you.”
 
“What now.”
 
“All the authorities had signed it, including your Chief-Commander,” Jackson said as he set a file on the desk in front of Mark.
 
“Wow. I… I honestly did not expect this,” Mark shook his head in disbelief after few seconds of scanning through the printed lines inside the file. “This is.. This is-“
 
“I know,” Jackson smiled sympathetically. “Your leave date is three months from now, and I’m coming with you.” 
 
“,” Mark cursed under his breath. “This is crazy.” 
 
 
 
*
*
*
 
 
 
After a night and couple more hours, the operation came to a close. It was lunchtime, and Youngjae is out of breath, but he was happy. He did it. He saved that man’s life. Sure, it was very difficult to remove the bullet in a way that it won’t stop the blood from pumping to the heart, or the heart from beating, or risking the high percentage of paralyzing the patient. But his hard works paid off. Another life saved. 
 
“You did great, Doctor Choi,” one of the nurses complimented. 
 
“Thank you,” Youngjae smiled brightly despise looking like a dead rat. “I couldn’t have done it without the help of you all.”
 
“Don’t say that! You’re the one who did everything. All we did was handing you the tools and watch the monitor.”
 
“Yeah! All credits on you, Doctor!”
 
“No wonder you’re our hospital’s star! You were amazing in there!”
 
“Okay, okay, stop with the unnecessary praises now,” Youngjae chuckled. “If you think you can get a raise out of this, you’re terribly wrong.” 
 
Everyone laughed. They were all completely honest about their compliments, but it’ll be cool if they get an extra something for each positive thing they say about Doctor Choi. 
 
Youngjae finished cleaning himself up and decided to head over to his new patient. Sana was already there, checking the wires and making sure the IV bag is changed. The nurse noticed Youngjae and bowed. 
 
“How’s he doing?” Youngjae asked as he took the clipboard from Sana. 
 
“Great,” Sana smiled. “Haven’t woken up yet, but he’s getting better.”
 
“Fantastic.”
 
“You did good.”
 
“Thank you. So did you.” 
 
“What are you talking about? I wasn’t even in there,” Sana giggled shyly. 
 
“You did a good job taking care of him, I mean,” Youngjae handed the clipboard back to Sana with a kind smile.
 
“Well, I am assigned to be his nurse,” Sana looked down at the peaceful sleeping man. “Plus, it’s a bonus that he’s hot.” 
 
Youngjae chuckled quietly and shook his head, “Sorry, I can’t agree with you since I don’t look at men and thinks they’re hot, but hey, whatever floats your little boat.”
 
“You’re as straight as this clipboard, Youngjae,” Sana teased. “Even though I don’t see you having any girls around anymore.” 
 
“Have you ever thought about the fact that I just want to be alone for awhile?” 
 
“Right. But it’s probably time to settle down, don’t you think?”
 
“Wow. I can’t believe we’re having this conversation right now in front of a resting patient. Jesus, let the man sleep.” 
 
“Fine,” Sana shrugged. “I was just trying to be a great friend I am.”
 
“Thanks,” Youngjae patted her arm. “You didn’t disappoint me as the first person I’ve ever talked to when I began working at this hospital. You’ll always be a great friend, Sana.”
 
“I just got friendzoned,” Sana scoffed. “Good thing I don’t got feelings for you or whatever you’ve just said would have shattered my poor heart.” 
 
“Whatever, go rest if you haven’t,” Youngjae waved her off.
 
“Are you sure you should be saying that to me? You’ve been up from midnight ’til now, which is noon, that’s like twelve hours. Youngjae, stop pushing yourself.”
 
“I know you’re worried, but I’m fine. Really. If you’re not going to rest, you mind calling Jinyoung in here?”
 
Sana nodded and left the room, leaving Youngjae alone with the patient. Youngjae let out a very tired sigh. He pulled a chair and set it next to the bed. He sat down, crossing his arms against his chest. Youngjae lets his eyes lingers a bit on the face of his patient until a sudden weight slowly drags down his lids. It’s only for a couple of minutes before someone softly called out to him.
 
“H-hey…”
 
Youngjae stirs a bit. His eyebrows knitted together. 
 
“Hey.. You..”
 
Youngjae repositioned himself, however, there wasn’t so much space, so he fell off the chair. 
 
“Ouch.. What the..”
 
“Hey..”
 
“God, I told them to replace these stupid chairs—Oh my God, you’re awake.”
 
Youngjae scrambled to his feet and hurried over to the bedside. 
 
“Hello, are you feeling alright?” 
 
“I-I… Yeah..”
 
The man tries to sit up, but his wounds stopped him from doing so. Youngjae rushed to hold him down. 
 
“Hey, easy, you’re not healed yet. You shouldn’t-“
 
“Could you help me..?” The question came out in barely a whisper.
 
“You know, I might look like a student, but I am a qualified, professional doctor, so if I advised you to rest, you should probably rest, Im Jaebum-ssi,” Youngjae confidently commanded. 
 
“Please.. Just.. Just for a moment.. And then I’ll do whatever you want..” Jaebum winced at the pain. 
 
Youngjae sighed, “Fine.” 
 
The doctor gently grabbed Jaebum’s arms while leaning close to lend Jaebum some support. As soon as Jaebum’s back falls on the pillow that’s was placed by Youngjae against the bed’s headboard, Jinyoung walked in. The Vice-Captain froze on his track, he stared at the sight before him. 
 
How could he forget? Jinyoung was so caught up in his own work that he forgot Jaebum has works, too. 
 
Jinyoung felt it at that moment. The guilt. He’s in on this. He’s in on this horrible lie to none other than his best friend. 
 
“Youngjae..”
 
“Oh! Hey, Jinyoung,” Youngjae made sure Jaebum is comfortable before making his way towards Jinyoung. “Took you long enough. I thought you’ve bleed to death somewhere.” 
 
“Haha. Very funny,” Jinyoung rolled his eyes. “There were some things I had to take care of since my Captain is bedridden.” 
 
Jaebum breaks out an apologetic smile, “I’m okay, thank you for asking.” 
 
Jinyoung scoffed but went over to Jaebum anyways. Youngjae took that as his cue to leave, but a voice stopped him. 
 
“Hey, um.. I want to thank you for saving my life.. What’s your name?” Jaebum asked. 
 
Jinyoung just stared at him. Jinyoung was shocked that Jaebum was genuinely asking like he doesn’t know who Youngjae is. Suddenly, Jinyoung felt sick. What the is Jaebum trying to play at?
 
“Youngjae. Choi Youngjae,” Youngjae obliviously smiled. “I’m your doctor, and so you’ll be in my care until you get discharge, Jaebum-ssi.”
 
The horror in Jaebum’s face was priceless. 
 
“Well, I’ll let you two have some privacy. Jinyoung, have lunch with me later like we always do?” 
 
“Of course,” Jinyoung forced a smile. 
 
Youngjae noticed, but he didn’t question his best friend. He walked out of the room instead. Listening to the door closes, Jinyoung clenched his fists. He hates this. 
 
“Jinyoung, I really didn’t know.. I-“ Jaebum starts. 
 
“Don’t. Jaebum, stop. Just don’t,” Jinyoung shuts his eyes, trying to control the surge of insane adrenaline. “The fact that you didn’t recognize him tells me that you didn’t even care enough to look at that picture that’s clipped in his file.” 
 
“It’s not like-“
 
“You’re an , Jaebum,” Jinyoung hissed. “This is going to come around and bite you hard in the .” 
 
Jaebum sighed. 
 
“Why the did I get myself involved with so many s.”
 
“Jinyoung, you know you don’t mean that.” Jaebum softly said. “I know how hard this is for you. But can’t you see it from my perspective? I don’t got a choice, Jinyoung. And I’ll sound like a ing bastard for saying this, but this is a golden opportunity.”
 
“Jaebum, you-“
 
“I have to do my job, Vice.”
 
Jinyoung stood in pure silence as he stared down at his Captain. He had so much respect for Jaebum. So much. He still does. It’s just Jinyoung finds it disappointing that Jaebum even have a mission like that. It conflicted Jinyoung. Oh how he wished that he wasn’t curious and poking in Jaebum’s business. Oh how he wished that Jaebum didn’t trust him so much to reveal such a top secret mission. Jinyoung couldn’t stand being in the same room as Jaebum right now. He needs to get out. He needs fresh air from all these s that’s keep raining down on him. Maybe Jinyoung should just go and eat lunch with Youngjae. That’ll makes him feel better. It always does. 
 
“I’m glad you’re fine,” Jinyoung said. “Rest well. I’ll be back to check up on you later.” 
 
“Hey, I appreciate it if you understand, you know,” Jaebum sympathetically gazed at Jinyoung. 
 
“You talk too much. A person who just woke up from a twelve hours surgery shouldn’t talk this much. Doesn’t it hurt?”
 
“Yeah, it does,” Jaebum looked down at his stiff hands. “Everything hurts. It hurts so ing much.”
 
Looking at Jaebum one last time, Jinyoung breathed out and left the room. Jaebum is now alone.