Mission 'Im' Possible

OPERATION: LOVE
 
 
It never occurred to Im Jaebum that there would be a day like today.
 
As soon as Jaebum stepped into the Secret Security facility, his Vice Captain, Park Jinyoung, came running and greeted him with a sealed black folder.
 
“Good morning, Captain Im.”
 
“You only called me that when something ed up is about to happen,” Jaebum groaned. “What is it this time?”
 
“Actually, I don’t know. But the Chief wants you in, like right now, with this.”
 
Jinyoung handed the folder over to his Captain with a curious look. Jaebum accepted the object and nodded, as if to say “I’ll tell you later”, before the agent gracefully but hurriedly make his way to his boss’ room.
 
It didn’t take two knocks for the authoritative man to personally opened the double doors, inviting his best agent in. Jaebum smiled and bowed slightly as a polite greeting before entering the room.
 
“Have a seat, Agent Im,” the Boss offered.
 
“It’s all right, sir. I’ll sta-“
 
“Take the damn seat, Jaebum.”
 
“Yes, sir.”
 
“Good. Now have a cup of this nasty tea because is about to get real.”
 
Rarely does his boss uses profanity, so Jaebum silently obeyed the given orders without any further questions.
 
Jinyoung Park, or Agent JYP, or Chief-Commander Park, smoothed out his suit before settling down in his huge spinning leather chair. He is a man of dignity and intellect. He often makes jokes and whatnot, but when it gets down to business, JYP is the most feared and serious man that ever worked for Korea National Secret Security. Jaebum and Jinyoung had worked alongside JYP for probably a little over a decade now, so to them, he’s like their second father and to him, they’re like the sons he never had.
 
“First of all, let’s discuss Jinyoung for a bit,” JYP cleared his throat. “He’s been distracted, a bit slacking here and there, but I know that you’ve noticed, too.”
 
Well, I mean who wouldn’t be distracted and a bit slacking when your husband promised to come back in six months, but it has been month number ten, and he’s not on the plane yet,” Jaebum rolled his eyes at the ridiculous observation that his Boss just gave. 
 
“God, Jaebum. Don’t give me that attitude, child. It’s partially his fault that he and his husband are handling a freaking long-distance marriage. Seriously, how the hell are they still going for years?” 
 
“I don’t know, however, quote, unquote, it’s love,” Jaebum sneered. “Or so Jinyoung said.”
 
“Wow. Gay marriage is already a ‘bad’ enough thing in Korea, let alone suffering long distance like that. I mean, the guy is literally on the other side of the planet!”
 
“Boss, don’t act like you don’t comment on their relationship like this all the damn time.”
 
“Aren’t you his best friend though? Jinyoung’s husband, I mean.”
 
“Yeah, I am. Honestly, I miss my best friend, who I’ve know since birth, a lot. But I know Jinyoung misses him even more than I ever do, so just give my Vice some time. You know he’ll get over it eventually. This isn’t the first time,” Jaebum smiled softly.
 
JYP sighed. He really felt bad for the two. He had chances of working with Jinyoung’s husband in the past, and JYP really liked him.
 
“I guess so. He’s also working as Secret Services for the President over there. This job isn’t easy.”
 
“Those two are really strong.”
 
“Young people in love…” JYP sighed, again, this time more dreamily as his memories from those days he’s been in love came rushing in. 
 
Jaebum raised an eyebrow, judging his boss because the man tends to be a little dramatic sometimes. 
 
“ANYWAYS. Moving along now that we got Jinyoung covered,” JYP leaned forward in his seat and folded his arms firmly against the polished wooden desk. “Second of all, you.”
 
“Yes, sir?”
 
“Open that folder and read it.”
 
Jaebum pursed his lips tightly together as he expertly removed the binding string of the folder. Inside the folder were inked pages filled with information of a person. A person who Jaebum have never seen before. The Captain sighed heavily because he can tell that whatever comes after this isn’t going to be very pretty. 
 
As on cue, JYP began, “There has been an order from the higher ups. And they wanted you to carry out this mission.”
 
“Yes, sir. What do I need to do?”
 
“This is the person that you’ll be in contact with. I don’t hold a lot of information as to why are they doing this, but I do know that there is something this person has that is desired by the authorities above me.
 
Your mission is to get close to this person and retrieve it. What’s in that folder is, as you’ve already read,  personal informations. So utilize it to your advantage. This mission is your top priority and you will follow instructions throughout without any complains and unnecessary intentions. Do you understand, Agent Im?”
 
“Yes, sir.”
 
“Good. Be careful and good luck.”
 
“Yes, sir.”
 
“Agent Im Jaebum, Captain of the Special Unit G, from now on, to the end of this assignment, you are prohibited from any personal relationships outside the job-“
 
“WHAT?!”
 
“-AND this is an extremely secretive mission, therefore, I expected for you to keep it to yourself.”
 
“WAIT. HOLD UP. NO personal relationships?! What kind of bull is this??”
 
“Jae-“
 
“You know I have a girlfriend who I’ve been dating for three years, now you’re saying I have to break up with her just because I have a mission that probably will only last for like, what, two ing months???” 
 
“Look, this isn’t my decision, alright? If you got a problem, take it to the person who designed this case for you. Leave me out of this.”
 
“But Boss-“
 
“You do what you’re commanded to do, Jaebum. And you do not get to selfishly rearrange the principle of orders, you got that?”
 
Silence took over the room as Jaebum clenched his fists in pure frustration. JYP patiently waited because the older man knows how sudden this whole thing is, hell, he was surprised himself when his assistant passed the mission down to him last night, urging him that it was important matters and needed to be carry out as soon as possible.
 
“Do you-“
 
“Yes, sir. I do,” Jaebum said through a wrenching heart. “I will proceed with my mission without any resistance.”
 
“Great, now, you are free to go.”
 
Jaebum got up from his seat and bowed to his boss before heading to the doors. His boss’ voice rang through his ears when he reached for the doors’ handles.
 
“I’m really sorry, Jaebum.”
 
“I know. I’m really sorry, too.”
 
The agent exited the room with his head hung low with thoughts. How the hell is he going to do this? How the hell is he going to break up with the woman he was actually serious about? How the hell is he going to cope with this job when it is its fault that he’ll lose the love of his life? 
 
Jaebum sighed. It’s just the beginning of the day and already happens. Could it get ANY worse. Wait, it will, because he got to break up with girlfriend anyways. Or he could keep her. But that means that Jaebum would have to give up this career he loves so much. 
 
“This ing ,” Jaebum muttered. 
 
“Hard case?” Jinyoung approached his Captain when he saw Jaebum standing around while angrily grabbing his hair. 
 
“You don’t even know.”
 
“Here, let’s talk about it.”
 
Jinyoung led Jaebum to a nearby table and the two agents sat down. 
 
“So..?” Jinyoung prompted. 
 
“Top secret.”
 
“Ah.. Well, that’s too bad.”
 
“You know what, it,” Jaebum scoffed. “I trust you.”
 
“You sure?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Okay then. Talk.”
 
“My mission is to get close to this random person, who the government believes to have something crucial to whatever that I don’t even know, and get that thing. Like I don’t ing know what thing am I supposed to get. But you know what’s worse? . I can’t have any outside relationships during this job.”
 
“Oh ,” Jinyoung’s eyes widen. “Damn, I’m so sorry. What are you going to do?”
 
“I don’t ing know.”
 
“Whatever you do, it’s your choice, man.”
 
“I hate that this short-term mission is ruining my long-term plans.”
 
“Hey, you never know. This might take longer than you think.”
 
“Yeah, yeah, whatever. You know me, Jinyoung. I get cases like these done real quick.”
 
“Woah, okay, I got it, Mr. Badass,” Jinyoung held up both his arms in ‘surrender’. “This is why you’re Captain.” 
 
Jaebum laughed. He adores Jinyoung, sincerely. The Vice Captain is not only loyal but also very caring and earnest. When Jinyoung joined Jaebum’s unit, Jaebum knew from the moment they met, they’ll be great partners. And they are. Jinyoung and Jaebum make the greatest team. No other partnership or friendship within the K.N.S.S. that could ever beat these two’s. They always got each other’s backs. Jaebum treated Jinyoung like a little brother he has always wanted. The Captain is pretty protective over his Vice, so it shocked him to the core when he accidentally walked in on his best friend and Jinyoung’s makeout session. It’s a long story for another time. 
 
From that day on, it could get pretty awkward since Jaebum’s role is a third wheeler, but he was very happy for the two because they’re both are people who Jaebum holds dear. He gave them his blessings and even gifted a brand new car as the wedding present. Jaebum loves the two, so it hurts him, too, when he sees Jinyoung suffers from the long distance. He wished he could do something to help, but it wasn’t his place. 
 
“Hello! EARTH TO IM JAE-ING-BUM,” Jinyoung’s voice interrupted the thought process. 
 
“Don’t yell, oh my god, my eardrums,” Jaebum winced and rubbed his hands against his ears.
 
“You weren’t listening,” Jinyoung sighed.
 
“What’s wrong?” Jaebum concernedly asked. 
 
“I want him home, Jaebum.” 
 
“I know you do.”
 
“So could you please call him or something? Tell him to come home to me?”
 
“Jinyoung, what makes you think could make him fly back to Korea when you, his husband, couldn’t?”  
 
It’s one of those conversations, again. One of those conversations that could only be about one person, Mark Tuan. 
 
“I don’t know,” Jinyoung lowered his eyes. “Maybe.. Maybe your words work better magic than mine.”
 
“Jinyoung..”
 
“I ing misses him, Jaebum. He said he’ll be back in six months, but it’s the tenth month, and he’s not home, lying comfortably in my arms.”
 
“Hey, it’s okay. You two endured longer than this. Remember? That time when he got an emergency mission three days after he landed in Korea. And he had to fly back to the States-“
 
“I remember. What happens after was that I didn’t get to kiss his lips again until about two years later. Yeah, I remembered.” 
 
“See? You’re strong, Jinyoung. And so is Mark. You guys can get through this like y’all always have been.” 
 
At this point, Jaebum felt really bad. Jinyoung and Mark are married, but it’s like they’ve never seen each other. Jaebum could never handle that. He admired their relationship. He envies their love for each other. Even with his current girlfriend of three years couldn’t even be compared to Mark and Jinyoung’s. Jaebum lowkey desires that kind of passionate and crazy love. 
 
“Thank you, Jaebum,” Jinyoung bitterly smiled.
 
“You look awful. Why don’t you go home and rest. I’ll cover for you,” Jaebum gently patted his friend’s arm.
 
“No, I’m fine.”
 
“No, you are not fine.” 
 
Yes, I am.”
 
“No, you’re not.” 
 
“So who’s this person you’re investigating?”
 
“Wow. How smooth, Vice Cap.”
 
“My speciality. So tell me.”
 
Instead of using his words, Jaebum slides the folder over across to Jinyoung. The said male picked up the folder and opened it after he looked around, checking if anyone is nearby. Not even a minute after the folder was opened, Jinyoung gasped when he recognized the person in that picture that’s pinned at the top of the file. Jaebum narrowed his eyes suspiciously.
 
“Is something wro-“
 
“Jesus ing Christ. Jaebum, please, don’t tell me this is the person you’re…”
 
“Yeah. That’s him.”
 
“That’s im-impossible.. How…?”
 
“Youngjae. Choi Youngjae is his name,” Jaebum calmly informed. “He’s the reason that I’m throwing everything I've ever built away.”
 
Jinyoung couldn’t believe it. This is beyond what he had expected. Jaebum couldn’t hold in his curiosity.
 
“What? What is it, Jinyoung? Why are you acting like you’ve seen a ghost or something?”
 
“Youngjae.”
 
“Yeah? Youngjae. That’s his name. I told you.”
 
“I know.”
 
“Okay then. What about him? Why are you like this?”
 
“He’s…”
 
“He’s?”
 
“He’s my ing best friend, Jaebum.”  
 
 
 
 
 
*
 
*
 
*
 
 
 
 
 
AUTHOR'S NOTE: Hey! First chapter for y'all y people. Tell me what ya think! ^__^
 
 
 
 
 
*
 
*
 
*