a l p h a

OPERATION: LOVE

 

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Just heads up, the titles of the chapters have absolutely NOTHING to do with the contents of the chapters. I'm trying to be punny and (didn't work out so well apparently), so I've decided to title the chapter with the alphabetic secret agent codes that is used in real life... So yeah.... That's all... Enjoy and leave comments~ Thank you~

 

 

 

 

###

 

 

 

 

“It doesn’t have to be this way,” Jaebum blocked the door with his firm body. “We can make it work, I promise.”
 
Jiyeon sighed, “Jaebum, move, please.”
 
Jaebum determinedly rooted his foot to the ground. He knows he’s being selfish and probably going against a spectrum of regulations, but he just couldn’t bear watching his girlfriend of three years walking out of his life. He wants to keep her. 
 
“Fine, let’s talk this out, then I’ll leave.”
 
Jiyeon set her luggages down and proceed to their once shared couch. She sat down elegantly, politely fixing her dress to cover her smooth, milky white skin. Jaebum settled down next to her, taking her hands into his. 
 
“Jiyeon-“
 
“Jaebum, let me ask you a question,” Jiyeon removed her hands from her boyfriend’s. 
 
Jaebum winched at the sudden lost of warmth but nodded anyways. 
 
“Will you quit your job and leave for Canada with me?” 
 
“What? Canada?”
 
“Yes, Jaebum, Canada. I’m being reassigned. So will you?”
 
A long silence draped over the entire apartment as Jaebum frantically battling inside his head. He loves Jiyeon. But he loves his job, too. Hell, he probably loves his job more than anything
 
Jiyeon got tired of waiting. She got tired of always being the second choice. 
 
See? You wouldn’t.”
 
“No, you have to understand. This job is what paying the bills-“
 
“You have a ing villa, Im Jaebum. And your parents probably own one third of all the largest companies in South Korea.”
 
“That’s different-“
 
“I don’t see why we’re living in this hellhole when you can just ask and you’ll have literally everything.” 
 
“So is this what it’s about? You wanting to live in luxury. This is luxury, Jiyeon. What we have right now is luxury. And what you mean by ‘hellhole’? This apartment is the most expensive apartment in Seoul. What the are you complaining about? Also, you know I ing hates it when you bring up my parents. I left them for a reason. They’re too controlling and it sickens me. I want to be independent. I want to be able to build up my own success. Not riding on my dad’s coattail,” Jaebum snapped. 
 
“But Jaebum-“
 
“I can’t believe I was wrong about you. I thought you were better.”
 
“Excuse me? Shouldn’t it be the other way around?” 
 
They’re both standing up now with clenched fists and fast breathings. 
 
“Jaebum, didn’t you realized? You never loved me.” 
 
“What kind of bull is that? I never loved you?”
 
“You loved the idea of me!” Jiyeon shouted in frustration and suppressed anger. 
 
Jaebum just stared at her like she just grew a second head.
 
“You were raised among things that materialistically pleasant to you. Your parents were too busy to personally take care of you. All they did was provide you everything you asked for. They didn’t love you enough. So when I came to love you earnestly, it makes you feel different. You love the feeling that I gave you. You love the fact that no matter what, I’ll be here to love. That I’ll be your destination. Your final stop point. You always loved the thrill. You always loved the feeling. You always loved the satisfaction. But… You… You never loved me.”
 
Jiyeon lowered her gaze. She finally lets it all go. Jiyeon turned away from her former lover and went to pick up her luggages again, ready to head out the door. However, she stopped the moment her hand landed prettily on the door’s handle. 
 
“I wish you a good life and hope you’ll find someone who makes you go so ing crazy that you’ll leave everything just to be with them, unlike me,” Jiyeon swallowed the uncomfortable lump in . “Thank you for everything. The time I’ve spent with you was way more than what I could asked for. Goodbye, Jaebum.”
 
Jaebum closed his eyes. He listened. He listened to the creak of the door. He listened to the soft sound of the door closing. Jaebum imagined Jiyeon’s beautiful figure walking down the hallway. Walking out of his ed up life. Jaebum opened his eyes. 
 
“I wish you well, too, Jiyeon.” 
 
 
 
*
*
*
 
 
 
“Don’t ing talk to me you bastard,” Jinyoung growled as he sees Jaebum walking into the lobby of the facility.
 
“Uh.. I think you’re the one who’s talking to me first..” Jaebum raised his eyebrows.
 
“Shut the up.”
 
“Okay.”
 
The Captain chatted with the receptionist for a bit before carried on walking to the elevator. The Vice Captain "happened" to be getting on the same elevator.
 
“You know,” Jinyoung starts despise his utter ‘hate’ towards Jaebum. “I can try digging up some for you, so you wouldn’t have to do much. Then, you can still be with Jiyeon. Youngjae and I are best friends after all, it’ll be easier for me.”
 
“Yeah. And get us both kill because this supposed to be my top secret assignment,” Jaebum scoffed. “Besides, we broke up.” 
 
“No ing way,” Jinyoung gawked. “Ser-seriously?” 
 
“She told me I didn’t love her and that I only loved the idea of her.” 
 
“. That’s a hit. All the way to home run.”
 
Jinyoung rubs his palm on Jaebum’s shoulder as comfort. Jaebum nodded, signaling that he’s okay.
 
“I’m sorry, but don’t you look a bit too normal after a breakup of a long relationship.” 
 
“I do?”
 
“Yes, you do. You’re like completely fine. Like it never happened before.” 
 
“Huh. Strange.” 
 
Jinyoung sighed. He knows what Jiyeon said was right. Working with Jaebum for a long time, Jinyoung knows what kind of person his Captain is, but Jinyoung never actually point out anything because ‘emotions’ are sensitive topics that Jaebum should figure out by himself. 
 
The two agents entered the meeting room. They were greeted by their fellow teammates and their boss, JYP. 
 
“Wow, you two sure took your sweet little time,” Yugyeom, the youngest commented. 
 
“Hey, it’s okay, Gyeomie. We all know those two lovebirds need time for themselves once in awhile, yeah?” Bambam, the second youngest, joked. 
 
The whole room erupted in laughter, even JYP choked back a chuckle. Jinyoung rolled his eyes. This happens all the time, so he doesn’t even bother to kill them anymore. Jaebum smirked.
 
“Wait ’til I get all y’all asses out on that field,” the Captain took a seat across from his boss. 
 
With the threat, the whole room went silent. Nobody dares to anger their Captain Im. 
 
“Okay, enough with the unnecessary banters,” JYP clapped his hands together authoritatively. “Special G Unit will carry out an important mission today as a whole.” 
 
JYP slided a red folder over to Jaebum, who accepted it with much grace. Jaebum opened the folder and his eyes widened. 
 
“What.. How could you-“ 
 
“I know, the reason it didn’t leaked out was because the government wants to keep it low. So before anything big happens, your unit’s job is to safely get the daughter of this country’s Vice President back, am I making myself clear.”
 
“Yes, sir. We’ll make sure she returns safely,” Jaebum stood up. “Mark my words.” 
 
JYP nodded, wished everyone luck, and walked out the room, leaving the team in a daze. Jaebum cleared his throat.
 
“All right. We will carry out a rescue mission with Gold as the target’s codename,” Jaebum said. “I want everyone to focus and do their damn job. If anything goes wrong, and I mean anything, my face will be the last thing you see before your existence becomes nothing in this world.”
 
“Yes, sir,” everyone shouted in unison.  
 
 
 
*
*
*
 
 
 
Jinyoung led his half of the group through the back of the mansion while Jaebum stayed with the snipers in a hidden place. 
 
“We’re in,” Jinyoung said into the tiny microphone of his headset. 
 
“Proceed as planned. Target Gold is located on the top floor. Make sure to cut out the electricity and alarms-“
 
“I know, Captain. This isn’t the first time we do this.”
 
“Okay,” Jaebum sighed. “Be careful.” 
 
“Yeah, you go back to watching the stars or something,” Jinyoung grinned confidently. “This’ll be over in less than an hour.” 
 
“Hopefully.”
 
The Vice moves stealthily, stopping occasionally to signal his team. They made it up the second to top floor peacefully. Jaebum became anxious. 
 
“This isn’t right,” the Captain mumbled to himself. “Why is everything so quiet..”
 
“Sir, I spot a disturbance,” one of the sniper, Suzy, reported.
 
Jaebum immediately rushed to Suzy. 
 
“Can you get a clear shot?” Jaebum asked.
 
“Yes, sir. Do you want me to take it?”
 
“No, tell me what’s going on.”
 
“There seems to be a couple of suits, maybe eight, waiting for ambush.”
 
“Standby, Suzy.” 
 
“Yes, sir,” Suzy positioned herself comfortably, her finger resting on the trigger. 
 
“Jinyoung, careful, you've got company,” Jaebum informed. “I’ll have the snipers take them out, you continue.” 
 
“Yes, sir,” Jinyoung his lips. 
 
Jaebum tapped lightly on Suzy’s shoulder. As on cue, she expertly executed the disturbance in a span of ten seconds. 
 
“Nice,” Jaebum complimented.
 
“My field, thank you, sir,” Suzy smirked. 
 
Jingyoung’s team moved carefully up the stairs to the top floor of the mansion. They reached the room with Gold in it. The place is still filled with quiet energy, which does nothing but worries Jaebum even more. One wrong move and this whole operation will be jeopardized. 
 
“We got her, sir,” Yugyeom said. 
 
“Good,” Jaebum sighed in relief. “Now, hurry and get out. It’s about to be midnight.”
 
It went all smooth until someone stepped on a thin wire that sets the whole house into the state of panic. Jaebum cursed. Loud blaring was heard from everywhere. The enemy moved in. 
 
“! Who the -“ Jinyoung angrily yelled. “PROTECT TARGET GOLD!"
 
“WHO THE PUTS A ROOKIE IN HERE?!” Bambam shouts can be heard throughout the whole floor. 
 
“I’m sor-sorry!” the newbie, Jinwoon, quickly apologized and shakily held his gun. 
 
“This ain’t the damn time!” Jinyoung screamed. “EVERYONE GET READY FOR ENGAGEMENT!” 
 
Jaebum gathered all the snipers and the remaining of his team together. 
 
“We need to get out of here,” Jaebum calmly commanded. “If we stay up here, we all going to get killed. Suzy and Min take the right. Jooheon and Wonho take the left. Jinam, Sungho, and Jihyo take the front. Kikwang and Dongwoon take the back. The rest of you and I, cover them.”
 
His team hastily packed up and raced down from their high bidding place. Each agent firmly held their gun. This mistake is costing everyone their life. 
 
Meanwhile, rounds are going off inside the house. Everyone took shelter in nearby objects that are large enough to cover. 
 
“Vice! Are you almost out?! Answer me!” Jaebum yelled over the headset as he shoots down five machine gun wielders. “Is Gold safe?!!"
 
“Yes, sir! We’re almost out and Gold is here!” Jinyoung yelled back.
 
“There’s a car waiting at Grid K! HURRY!” 
 
There were too many bad guys to count. 
 
“! ! GOLD IS TAKEN! I REPEAT! GOLD IS TAKEN!” Yugyeom shouted. 
 
“BACK UP! SEND THE ING BACK UP!” Bambam yelled. “WE’RE NOT GOING TO MAKE IT OUT!”
 
Jaebum and his team managed to snuck their way to the van that’s waiting for them at the designated spot. The Captain quickly called for back up.
 
“This is Captain Im of G Unit. Send us the ing back up!”
 
“ONE AGENT DOWN! NO! ! WAIT! THREE AGENTS DOWN!” Bambam shrieked in horror. 
 
“ing ! I’m going in!” Jaebum grabbed the nearest gun and loaded his pockets with reloads. 
 
“No, sir! Let me!” Suzy stopped Jaebum. 
 
“No,” Jaebum said. “You all get ready to get the out of here when Gold is in. Go it?”
 
Everyone nodded. What Jaebum decided cannot be stopped whatsoever. Suzy sunk down in her seat and nervously watches Captain Im until she couldn’t see him anymore. 
 
“No! What the ! Jaebum!” Jinyoung shouted. 
 
“I got you,” Jaebum smirked. 
 
The team inside the mansion slowly made their escape. Jaebum successfully retrieved Gold back to their side and protectively escorted her out. He handed her to Jinyoung and told his Vice to go ahead. Jinyoung disagreed and left Gold in the care of Yugyeom and Bambam. The Vice Captain decided to cover for his Captain as they move the three fallen agents out. 
 
Of course the two youngest agents were hesitant at first, but they took a couple of the team members with them. The remaining fifteen members aided Jaebum and Jinyoung. 
 
As the bodies were being carried out to the van, the mafia boss snatched the gun away from his bodyguard and took a careless aim. 
 
“WATCH OUT!” Jaebum warned as he jumped in front and pushed Jinyoung out of the way. 
 
Every agents, inside the van and outside the van, gasped in shock. Jinyoung desperately catches Jaebum. 
 
“JAEBUM!” Jinyoung screamed. “JAEBUM! PLEASE!”
 
 
 
*
*
*
 
 
 
South Korea United Hospital suddenly was jam-packed with bloodied men in suits. Nurses and doctors are running in every direction. The emergency rooms are busily being prepared for massive surgeries. 
 
“Where are the other doctors?!” Senior surgeon, Yenny, questioned in a hurry.
 
“We are calling them in, ma’am!” One of the nurses, Sana, replied.
 
“Who’s available right now?!” Yenny looked around, scanning the place. “YES! WHERE IS HE?!”
 
“W-who?” Sana panickedly held onto her clipboard. 
 
“Doctor Choi! WHERE IS HE??!”
 
“I’M HERE! STOP SCREAMING!” 
 
A man ran towards the two females. His white coat hung tiredly against his small frame. His hair was tousled and his eyes looked like they’ll grow legs and run away in matter of seconds. He took the clipboard from Sana, quickly flipping through it. 
 
“You take him,” Yenny demanded. “I got others.”
 
“Okay,” Doctor Choi replied. “Who’s this?”
 
“Um.. Im-“
 
“Hurry up, Sana. Time isn’t our friend right now.” 
 
Doctor Choi, Sana, and couple of other nurses are running alongside the stretcher with a lifeless man in a blood covered suit on top. 
 
“Yes! Im-Im Jaebum, twenty-nine years old, Captain of Special G Unit of the K.N.S.S.-“
 
“IS JINYOUNG OKAY?”
 
“Jinyoung-ssi wasn’t admitted!”
 
“Okay, continue!”
 
“Anyways, he was shot during a mission and it seems that the bullet pierced his heart..”
 
Doctor Choi looked down at his patient when he felt something grabbed his wrist. The bloodied man’s eyes were slightly opened.
 
“If it pierced his heart, then he’ll be dead by now,” Doctor Choi leaned down near the man. “Hello, my name is Choi Youngjae, and I’ll be the one who’s operating on you. Don’t worry, I’ll save you, Jaebum-ssi.” 
 
Youngjae’s determined eyes were the last thing Jaebum sees before his conscious slipped into the empty darkness.