m i k e

OPERATION: LOVE
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
If anything, ‘panic’ is the word that exactly describes Youngjae at the moment. Because of the regular set-up of automatically waking up at five a.m. that’s imprinted in the doctor’s brain, Youngjae’s eyes cracked open at the exact time only to be left in a confused state, which quickly escalated into panic. Having Jaebum’s protective arms securely wrapped around him, as they both sprawled out on top of the conveniently spacey couch, was not how he imagined to be waking up to. And having his arms relaxedly place themselves across Jaebum’s torso and head using the agent’s reliable chest as a pillow, was not how Youngjae imagined to happen at all.
 
Youngjae stopped panicking for a bit when he remembered that he was the one who made the first move, taking advantage of Jaebum’s inability to reject him.  But then he started panicking again when he remembered what he said to Jaebum before he completely passed out. The doctor genuinely thought that he wouldn’t remember anything that came out of his stupid mouth because the human brain tends to shut off once it becomes too tired and ready to slip into a deep sleep and-
 
A small groan escaped from the agent’s lips, surprising the doctor who’s still clinging on. Jaebum shifted a little and tighten his hold, at the same time, pulled Youngjae even closer. Youngjae held his breath. How was he supposed to go to work now… And oh God, Jaebum and him just spent a night TOGETHER. In. This. Promising. Position. Jinyoung would never let Youngjae live this down. 
 
But Youngjae is more than grateful that none of them are experiencing morning wood right now. Or things would’ve been very awkward and embarrassing. Especially after what Youngjae had said while in his ‘sleep-drunk’ state of mind. Why did I even say it, oh, my God. 
 
Biting down on his bottom lip, Youngjae carefully unwind his arms around Jaebum. He then attempted to gently pushes the agent’s strong arms off his body without waking up the, literally, sleeping beauty. Failed attempt, of course. 
 
“Mmmhmm, where you going?” Jaebum’s deep hoarse morning voice rang in Youngjae’s ears. Damn, it sounded hot. “Stay for awhile.”
 
“I… I-I can’t…” Youngjae managed to squeak out, internally screaming at himself for the unnecessary stutter. “I got wor-work… Um… Yeah, work at-at seven…” 
 
Apparently, “seven” was the wrong number to answer. Jaebum pulled Youngjae closer, if that was even possible, again and tightened his hold. “Then leave at six-thirty,” the agent lazily said, his voice was a bit muffled by Youngjae’s hair.  
 
“I, uh, have to stop by my place to freshen up,” Youngjae reasoned, at the same time, squirmed a bit in hope of freeing himself. 
 
Jaebum hummed softly, “no, you don’t. You can freshen up here.” 
 
Those were the words Youngjae feared. The doctor inhaled sharply, “I-I don’t thi-think we’re at that level in the relationship, so if you could just-“
 
“Even after what you’ve said last night?” 
 
“W-what I said was a bit… I was just really tired and…” Youngjae’s head is going wild and the smell of Jaebum’s masculine morning scent isn’t helping much. But being the stupid Choi Youngjae who always up, Youngjae opted an answer he didn’t mean. “That was… I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it.” 
 
Jaebum’s touch has never been so cold. “All right,” the agent softly sighed, “but if you want, you could shower here and head off to work.” Jaebum unwrapped his arms around Youngjae, letting the doctor to freely get up and off the couch. 
 
Youngjae wondered if he had made Jaebum mad. Though when he looked down at Jaebum, the agent has the most gentle eyes that he had ever seen on a person. “I’ll just head home,” Youngjae said after a few seconds of unconsciously admiring a defenseless Jaebum who’s harboring a massive bed head. “You don’t have my clothes anyway…”
 
Pulling himself up, Jaebum smiled, “that’s the whole point. You’ll look cute in my clothes.”
 
Youngjae blushed. God, he needs to stop blushing. Since when was he the submissive one in the relationship? But then again, with Jaebum, Youngjae finds it more comfortable to let the other dominate. Like anyone would want THE Im Jaebum to hold dominance over them. It’s ridiculous, but true. 
 
“And even cuter when you’re blushing,” Jaebum smirked, fully aware of the effect he has on the oblivious doctor.
 
Youngjae swallowed, “um, uh, thank-thank you for last night… I’ll head back, now..” 
 
“I’ll see you off.”
 
Youngjae picked up his coat from the chair, that he hung it on when he was taking off his shoes, and hastily puts on his dark brown chukka boots. He was so ready to get out of here. “So, um, I’ll see you later, I guess.” 
 
Leaning into Youngjae’s personal space, Jaebum placed a lazy kiss on Youngjae’s cheek, “I’ll see you later, Jae. Get home safe, sunshine.” 
 
“Yeah, bye, Jaebum,” Youngjae said, shyly ducking his head to hide the sudden blood rush that’s probably very noticeable to Jaebum who couldn’t hide his satisfied teasing grin. 
 
 
 
*
*
*
 
 
 
“I can’t ing believe you!” 
 
“Listen, just let me explain-“
 
“NO! I can’t- Oh, my ing God. Get the out!” 
 
The wooden door of the office of a certain Vice Captain slammed shut on Mark’s face. Today, totally, isn’t his day. Mark rubbed a hand over his tired face as he his heels to head back to his office. This was the last thing Mark needs right now. Jinyoung isn’t exactly nice whenever he’s angry. Hell, his husband is the Chairman of Korea’s biggest business firm and leader of the top fundings that goes into the supports to the South Korea’s government, the man was never nice. Park Jinyoung is the boss. A very scary one. 
 
“Get Jackson’s in here, now,” Mark commanded into the IP phone that’s rooted in the right corner of his desk. 
 
“Yes, sir,” Mark’s secretary replied in perfect English. “Vice Captain Wang will be there in about five minutes.”
 
“Good,” the Captain sighed as he slumped down on his chair. 
 
Exactly five minutes later, a knock echoed throughout the room. 
 
“Come in,” Mark answered. 
 
“Hey, Captain…” Jackson carefully poked his head in, as if checking for any flying knives, then the agent smoothly slipped his body through the crack opening of the door. “You called for me, sir?” 
 
“Cut the , Jackson. You never knocked. And never this careful and quiet,” Mark’s eyes narrowed, threatened to shoot laser out of them. “It was you, wasn’t it?” 
 
“Okay, before you kill me,” Jackson dropped the polite act and proceeded to defend himself, “you should know that I WASN’T the one who started telling him. One of my men, got scared less by your hubby’s malignity, so out of survival instincts, he confessed. I was only adding onto his confession, that’s it. So, technically, in the end, it wasn’t me. Therefore, I am free of fault.”
 
Jackson confidently stood there with his head held high while Mark stared him down. The Captain was very annoyed, “you still have the audacity to defend yourself? Clearly, if you have gotten your men in check, they wouldn’t tell ! And YOU could have denied everything instead of blabbering for the world to hear!” 
 
“EXCUSE ME! I was put in a position where I CAN’T lie about something like this, okay? Especially to the man who probably owns half of Korea! In a single flick of his pinky, my whole life would get blown away just like that. I’M SORRY BUT IT ISN’T WRONG TO PROTECT MY CAREER AND FAMILY,” Jackson shouted, “why am I getting all the for something that I got dragged into in the first place?! Uh, hello, I’m obviously the victim here.” 
 
Mark let out a sighed, exhausted, “sorry, I’m.. It’s just… Sorry.”
 
Jackson also let out a sigh, “I know, Mark. It’s fine. Jinyoung won’t stay mad at you for long. He loves you too much. He’s basically whipped for you, bro.”
 
“I know,” Mark said, “but he’s going to give me the silent treatment. Jinyoung is very stubborn. Even if he stopped being mad at me, he would not talk to me because he wants to prove his point.” 
 
“Which is?”
 
“That he can function properly without me interacting with him.”
 
“Has it ever work, though?” Jackson raised his eyebrow, very skeptical. 
 
“No,” Mark smiled affectionately, “never. ‘Cause Jinyoung is a needy little spoiled brat who wants attention.”
 
“Why am I not even surprised,” Jackson offered a kind smile, “although I haven’t known him for long, but I can tell he desperately needs you in his life to keep himself grounded. So, really, trying to ignore you can’t be something he’s good at.” 
 
Mark chuckled, “you’re right. His plan always backfired when he realized that was also ignoring him. And so he starts pouting and whining, and honestly, it’s insanely adorable.”
 
“I’m glad you’re happy, man,” Jackson looked at his friend thoughtfully. “But let’s not get too carried away and forget that we have a ticking bomb, and it needs to be stopped.”
 
“What have you find out since the accident?”
 
“Not much, but,” Jackson pressed his lips into a thin line, “JYP does know what we’re doing.” 
 
Mark’s eyes widened, extremely alert, “. I didn’t consult him about this.”
 
“I know, beautiful, isn’t it? Don’t worry, he approached me yesterday, after his daily mandatory meetings, and slipped me a very crucial clue.” 
 
“Really,” Mark looked at Jackson, obviously not believing it all. 
 
“Yes, really, and stop looking at me like that,” Jackson rolled his eyes, “it makes me think I’m a better renovation of Pinocchio. Anyway, we should check into this Chief Commander Kim Gabsoo.” 
 
“Who? Kim Gabsoo?” Mark quirked a questioning eyebrow, “that son-of-a-?”
 
Woah, hold on your horse, cowboy,” Jackson puts both his hand up dramatically, “what drama am I missing out on here?” 
 
“Nothing much,” the Captain casually shrugged, “just JYP and I have a mutual hate for that arrogant nasty- traitorous bastard.” 
 
“Damn, for you to hate him, he must have did something horribly wrong.”
 
“Oh, it was horrible, all right. So ing hor-wait a minute…”
 
“What? What is it? Mark! Tell me!!” Jackson demanded impatiently as he looked at Mark’s sudden slight change of facial expression. 
 
“Jackson, pull up everything you could find about this man and his rumored secret underground organization. I think we've just found the master spy.” 
 
 
 
*
*
*
 
 
 
“Wow, aren’t you early today?” Youngjae questioned as he took his usual seat. 
 
“I’m not talking with Mark,” Jinyoung said. 
 
“Don’t kid yourself, sweetie,” the doctor scoffed. 
 
Jinyoung glared at his best friend, “why does everyone thinks I’m so dependent on Mark? Seriously, I can handle myself!” 
 
“Yeah, say that to the Jinyoung who legit breaks down after he sends his lover to the airport, every single time,” Youngjae picked up his hamburger and took a chomp out of it. 
 
“It’s perfectly normal for two people who love each other to miss each other when one of them is far away, Youngjae,” Jinyoung stuffed a kimbap, made by Mark, in his mouth. 
 
“Right, but then again, who was it that sulks for days and watches horrible romance dramas at night because he’s, quote unquote, going through a phase of terrible needs for his husband to comfort him,” Youngjae sneered. “Pa-the-tic~” 
 
“Whatever,” Jinyoung rolled his eyes, “I can live without him, thank you very much.” 
 
“That’s not what you’ve said when he pulled that prank on you. Jinyoung, you literally cried yourself to sleep and couldn’t stop apologizing like you’re the one at fault. And let’s also mention the fact that you kept repeating, “I love you,” through tears while staring at a picture of Mark. Extremely pa-the-tic~~” Youngjae singsonged. 
 
“Shut up,” Jinyoung groaned. “I’m seriously angry at him.” 
 
“Oh, my God. You? Angry at Mark? You? Did the Earth starts spinning the other way without my notice? Am I in a different dimension? What kind of special universe is this?” Youngjae exaggeratedly wiping his head around, eyes widen in ‘fear,’ obviously mocking Jinyoung’s serious stares. “Oh, please, you’re never angry at Mark since the day y’all started ing. Get over your unrealistic imaginations, Jinyoung-ssi.” 
 
The agent wanted to badly scream and let out all the frustration and lies he’s keeping from his dear best friend, nonetheless, he has to agree about one thing. “You’re right. I’m not angry at him,” Jinyoung sighed. “I wonder why am I not angry at him when I’m supposed to. Like it’s so hard to be angry at Mark. Literally, Mark could burn down my whole precious company and I wouldn’t even raise my voice or lift a finger at him.”
 
“See? I’m telling you, you’re lovesick. Too bad I’m not that kind of doctor, so I can’t cure ya.”
 
“Ugh, it’s so ridiculous, you know? I yelled at him and told him to get the out, but as soon as I slammed that door on his face, I had to hold myself back from opening it again and pull him in for a hug. Like this ain’t cool, man. I need to act tough, but I can’t. Not with Mark.” 
 
“So, you’re beginning your silent treatment, again?” Youngjae raised an eyebrow. “How typical of you.”
 
“Yeah, I’m strong without him and I just know it,” Jinyoung stated, eyes burning with determination. 
 
Youngjae looked at his best friend and hyung with a skeptical expression. The doctor was done with Jinyoung’s . Not today, fam. Not today. “Sorry to break your trance, but that’s exactly what you’ve said last time, with that same look in your eyes, only to end up pitifully wrapped up in Mark’s arms and kissing his neck after, like, what, a day?” 
 
“Look, here, you little , if you’re not going to support me, then shut your mouth. I don’t need this kind of toxic in my life, all right?” Jinyoung crossed his arms against his chest, pouting annoyingly. Why does no one believe him? 
 
“Bet,” Youngjae rolled his eyes as he’s sipping on the straw of his styrofoam cup of soda.
 
“Okay, call,” Jinyoung said, his chin pointing upwards, indicating pure bravado. 
 
“Mark is a natural seducer, you, of all people, knows that,” the doctor wiped his mouth with a napkin. “Bet your gon' lose.” 
 
“Thank you for having so much faith in me,” Jinyoung said, each word dripping with sarcasm. “You lucky I’m holding myself back right now, or else I’ll roast you like how campers roasted a juicy- delicious smelling pig hanging off a stick over the campfire.”
 
“Oh, really?”
 
“Yes,” Jinyoung rested his chin on the palm of his hand, eyes sparkling with mischief, “because I know what you did last night~” 
 
It wouldn’t be a lie to say that Youngjae’s eyes were bulged out of their sockets and his face was probably as red as that tomato Sana was eating earlier. Jinyoung knew he caught a big fish. Grinning uncontrollably, the agent observed his best friend with sadistic intents. 
 
“Wh-what are you talk-talking about?” Youngjae avoided Jinyoung’s terrifying gaze.
 
“Oh, mistake number one and two,” Jinyoung cooed, “never stutter and avoid eye contact when you’re trying to fake innocent.”
 
“Wha-“
 
“Words travel fast, Jae,” a smirking Jinyoung is an evil Jinyoung. “I didn’t know you have a thing for nicknames. I’ve been a bad friend.”
 
“Oh, God. Please, stop,” Youngjae groaned, covering his red face with his hands. 
 
“Or do you ONLY like it when he calls you by nicknames.”
 
Hyung,” Youngjae whined, “please, don’t do this.”
 
“How was it?” 
 
“What?”
 
“Last night, I mean. How far did y’all go before you start having a uality-crisis-freak-out?” 
 
Youngjae stared at Jinyoung with his mouth opened. He closed it after a few seconds, though. Then swallowed that lump in his throat. “We didn’t do anything and I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Youngjae semi-confidently said, avoiding Jinyoung’s eyes, of course.
 
“I mean, I guess, if sleeping together counts as nothing to you then-“
 
“Sssshhhhh!! Why are you so loud? Do you want everyone to hear?!”
 
“Sure,” Jinyoung shrugged, “why not? The whole hospital possibly assume that y’all ing anyway so-“
 
“We weren’t ing!” Youngjae exclaimed in a hushed voice. 
 
“Oh, y’all weren’t?” Jinyoung furrowed his eyebrows. “That’s a bit disappointing.” 
 
“No, it isn’t! And since when did you approve this thing between us anyway?” 
 
“Well, I’m not so sure myself. I just know that Mark did a great job convincing me to.” 
 
“And you say you’re not dependent on Mark. What a joke.” 
 
“Hey! We’re talking about you and my Captain here. Don’t try to change the subject because you’re embarrassed and confused about why you want a man’s in you-“
 
“Can you please shut up?! Jesus Christ, how could you say stuff like that with no absolute shame?” Youngjae reached over in lightning speed and covered Jinyoung’s mouth with his hands. 
 
Jinyoung pushed Youngjae’s hands away, “you should know me. I’ve got no shame.” 
 
“Why are we even friends? Park Jinyoung, you’re a dangerous person.” 
 
“But you love me, so it’s okay,” Jinyoung smiled sweetly. 
 
“Damn, right, I do,” Youngjae scoffed. 
 
“Jaebum is good man, you know,” Jinyoung’s voice went soft all of a sudden, completely sincere. “And you’re a good person, too. Both of you deserve happiness.” 
 
Youngjae stayed silent for awhile. Jinyoung began to think if his best friend is really considering it or trying to make up an excuse. Sighing, the agent said, “move on, Youngjae. I know you can do it. Give yourself a chance, please? You deserve so, so, so much better, Youngjae-ah.” 
 
“I don’t know,” Youngjae whispered. “I think I've already ed up.” 
 
“What stupid did you do this time?” 
 
“I was the one who cuddled with him first, and I… Hyung, I…” Youngjae paused, trying to find the right words. “You know what I told him while I was half-asleep?” 
 
“Youngjae-ah…”
 
“I told him that I think I could love him, too."
 
Youngjae looked scared. Jinyoung’s heart wrenched painfully. He didn’t like seeing his best friend, his little brother, like this. The last time Youngjae had looked like this was on that day. 
 
“And you know what I told him when we woke up this morning? I told him I was really tired and started sprouting nonsense and… I told him I didn’t mean anything I’ve said,” Youngjae’s eyes found interest in the plain white surface of the table. His fingers wouldn’t stop gripping tightly onto his white coat. 
 
Jinyoung sighed, “why would you do that… Youngjae, you know yourself better than anyone. You know what you want. And you want h-“
 
“No, stop. I don’t, okay? I can’t do it. Not right now. Probably not ever. I… I-he deserves better. He deserves someone who’s nearly as perfect as he is. Not someone like me who’s broken in so many ways beyond fixing and always manages to up for no goddamn reason,” Youngjae stood up, fists clenching by his sides. “I’m so ing sick of this. I’m so sick of him being nothing but sweet and loving to me. I feel like I’m just taking advantage of him. I’m sick of it. He’s making it so hard for me to not catch anything beyond a platonic friendship. Why does he keep on doing it? Why? I-“
 
“Because he loves you,” Jinyoung said softly. “He’s doing it because he loves you. And I can swear to you that you’re his first love. The Im Jaebum I know have all the spectrum of any feeling except for love, but this one does. After he met you,” even when it’s only possible because of a mission, Jinyoung wanted to add, but didn’t, “he changed completely. Jaebum isn’t the Jaebum I’m used to. Look, Youngjae, if Mark was the one who made me realize how beautiful and sweet love is, then you’re the one who made Jaebum realize what it’s like to be in love for the first time. Let yourself go, Youngjae-ah. Allow yourself to love him back. Stop punishing yourself like this. You’ve never did anything wrong, so please, please let yourself love again. Jaebum is worth it.” 
 
Youngjae looked at Jinyoung, sorrow and pain washed over the doctor’s usual cheerful eyes, “I’m sorry."