Chapter 25

My Personal Ahjumma
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

“It’s not that easy...”

 

“Why not? When your father was at your age, we were already married and had you.” Mrs. Kwon puts the tray down and sits on the couch big enough for both of them. She pats the space beside her gesturing the man to sit down as well. “You’re a charming man, Yuri.”

 

“But Mom...”

 

“Son, you’re a full grown man,” his mother responds and starts to pour the tea. “Haven’t you found someone yet? Don’t you have plans on getting married?”

 

Yuri grabs a cup and blows it before taking his first sip. He looks ahead and watches the autumn leaves fall from their veranda. “The garden looks wonderful," he remarks taking a piece of biscuit in his mouth. “You take care of it well.”

 

“It looks better during spring,” she answers with a frown at her son. "But don't change the subject!”

 

“What’s with the sudden rush of questions?”

 

“Have I told you the first time I met your father?” his mother asks. 

 

“At an auction, right?” he answers.

 

“Yes. He was the highest bidder of the most expensive item bought that night.” Mrs. Kwon smiles at the memory and touches the platinum diamond band on her ring finger. “After winning the bid, he confidently came up to me with this ring and said that he wanted to marry me.”

 

“What did you say?”

 

“I slapped him.” Mrs. Kwon chuckles. “A man whom I just met suddenly asking me for marriage? I thought it was crazy. We didn’t even knew each other. It wasn’t a good start.”

 

“To my surprise, he just smiled. Telling me he just fell in love more with what I did. He was persistent. Then the rest is history, we fell in love,” she continues. “When he died, a part of he went with him. But I was able to hold on because I still had family. You.”

 

“What I’m trying to say is,” Mrs. Kwon sighs giving her son a knowing look. “Love may come in the most unusual way and hit you unexpectedly. You’d never know the outcome if you don’t give it a chance like your father.”

 

“And that’s what I hope for you,” her hands frame his face and Yuri leans to the warmth. “Find the person you’d love unconditionally and be happy with to build a family. I’m just a mother who wants to see that before I pass away.”

 

I hope to see her again too.

 

Yuri holds his mother’s hand. “You’re not going anywhere, Mom.”

 

“We never know what lies ahead for tomorrow.” The woman in her early fifties scoots closer, arms wrapping around his waist. “Just always remember, your father and I love you so much.”

 

Yuri smiles and hugs her back. “I love you too.”

 

¤¤¤¤¤¤

 

The plane landed smoothly in Incheon International Airport at half past seven in the evening without delays. The airport was packed with people, some saying their farewells while others waited to welcome an arrival.

 

Yuri continues to saunter his way, dragging his luggage with him. He fishes out his mobile phone from his black trench coat and dials his mother. “Hi Mom. I just landed safely in Seoul. I’m okay...Uh-huh. Sur—”

 

The man was too focused on the call he didn’t notice a child walked in front, and accidentally bumps him. He sees the kid on the floor sitting down. “Mom, I have to go. I’ll talk to you later. I love you too. Bye.”

 

Afraid that the child would cry, Yuri immediately helps her get up. The kid’s face was covered by brunette hair that had tiny swirls at the end as she hung her head low. Yuri kneels down on one knee and gently holds her face up to look at him. For a moment, his heart leaped. You're always like that whenever you see kids, Yuri. He thought.

 

“I’m sorry. Are you okay?” he asks.

 

“M-my... cupcake,” she answers with a tiny voice, almost cracking.

 

Yuri’s gaze drops to the fallen cupcake the kid was pointing at on the floor. “Shhh... Don’t cry. I’ll tell you what. I’ll just buy you another one, okay?” he cooed.

 

“Really?” the kid asks hopefully with glowing eyes, he can’t help but melt.

 

“Of course,” he carries the child and goes off to buy the cupcake with her. “Let's go?”

 

...

 

“It’s so delicious!” the kid in Yuri’s arms squealed in delight. “Thank you, Mister!” the child pecks his cheek, catching Yuri off guard.

 

“You’re so cute, yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter