Starting Today

자나깨나 니 생각 ~Always On My Mind~ (incomplete, revamping)
Please log in to read the full chapter

When Serena exited her terminal gate, she was happily greeted by her baby sister, Yeojin. "Rere unnie!" The five year old excitedly exclaimed in Korean as she threw her little arms around the older woman's shoulders after Serena had kneeled to the child's level to greet Yeojin. Serena then shot a look at her other little sister, Melanie, over Yeojin's shoulder with a disapproving shake of her head. Melanie smirked at Serena before greeting her. "Welcome back to cold weather Seoul, Rere." Serena rolled her eyes at the stupid nickname as she let go of Yeojin and then looked at the kid steadily while speaking in Korean. "It's Serena unnie, remember? Not Rere unnie." "Ne. Melly unnie told me to call you Rere unnie when I saw you." Yeojin innocently told the eldest sister as the little girl glanced back at her other older sister.

"It's okay, Yeojin-ah." Serena reassured her as she stood back on her feet while gazing at Melanie. "Really?" "Duh?" Melanie deadpanned with a smirk as she motioned for Yeojin to take her hand as the trio then made their way to baggage claim. "Charminder and Kat couldn't make it?" Serena asked casually. "Nah, he's busy with school stuff and she's on some type of tour thing. Anyways, so, are you back permanently or what since you came back on the last day of Seollal?" Melanie asked her sister in English as Serena nodded her head. "Not my fault Dad told me late. Anyways, yeah although I really do miss the warm weather in Australia." "It was only for two months." "Yeah so? I didn't have to see that guy's face for two months and got to enjoy the sun." "Ahh, true, true." "Anyways, how's Dad and Narae?" Serena asked wanting to change the topic to something else.

"The same like always. Nothing new." Melanie answered with an indifferent shrug while glimpsing down at Yeojin and then forward again. "They haven't returned from their Hawaii trip yet?" Serena asked confused knowing that her father and step-mother should have been back by now from their sunny getaway. "Oh, no. They've returned, but left soon after. They went on another 'honeymoon' to somewhere in northern Europe to explore the snow." Melanie air quoted 'honeymoon' as Serena frowned as she glanced at her baby sister. "Dude, that's like the seventeeth one so far since they gotten married. Do they ever think about Yoyo though?" Melanie shrugged indifferently once more as Yeojin turned to face her eldest sister upon hearing her nickname. "Yes?" Serena smiled at her and also spoke to her in English while changing the subject. "Are you sad that school is almost over, Yoyo?"

And suddenly the mood shifted to a more light-hearted atmosphere as Yeojin recounted her stories of her friends and school to her other sister who hadn't heard it yet as Melanie cast Serena an amused look. "Yeah, that's gonna last about all day and then some." "It's okay. I got time to be around now." Serena chuckled as she continued to listen to her baby sister who was now telling her about a boy that has been picking on her for a few weeks now and that she told him to leave her alone and even got mad at him to which he did stop picking on her. Then the teacher got involved and had them make up and become friends again. Yeojin continued to tell her stories even after Serena claimed her belongings and the sisters had made their way out of the airport and to somewhere they could catch a quick bite before returning home during the car ride as well.

~~~~~~~

The next day, Serena felt something her face and disturbing her sleep as she maneuvered about with her eyes close, although whatever was disturbing her continued on. She opened her eyes and saw some brown furry thing close to her face and she instantly sat up. "What is that?!" She asked to no one in particular although she could hear a collection of giggles coming from her bedroom door. "That was not cool, guys. Come get whatever that thing is out of here." Yeojin pushed the door fully opened as she giggled while jumping onto Serena's bed. "It's my new doggie, Cupcake. Say hi Cupcake." Yeojin held the Toy Poodle in her arms while waving one of its paw at Serena. "Cupcake?" Serena looked at Melanie as Melanie looked at her just as unsure. "The mom got her that while you were away."

"How come I didn't see the dog yesterday? Was it at the other house?" "No she wasn't. It's because she was at obedience school and one of the trainers dropped her off just now." Melanie explained as Serena looked at her weirdly. "There's such a thing?" "Apparently." "Can I bring Cupcake with me to school today?" Yeojin asked with a cute expression. "I promise to watch her all day." "Yeah, no, kiddo." Melanie objected. "No dogs are allowed at school, remember?" "Ne." Yeojin pouted as she held the poodle closer to her. "Do I have to go to school?" Serena chuckled as she began to baby sister. "Yes, you do. I thought you wanted to see that boy name Hyukmin or whatever before school is over." "I didn't say that." Yeojin denied as Melanie joined in. "You told us that yesterday." "I did not."

The two older sisters continued to tease the littlest one before ushering her to get ready for school as they partially got themselves ready for the day. "Who's gonna watch Cupcake when we're all out for the day?" Serena asked Melanie as she helped Yeojin with her shoes. "Mrs. Hwang next door and when Yeojin gets out of school later, too." Melanie answered handing Yeojin her sack lunch. "Ah the twins' mom?" "Yeah. They actually asked about you the other day." "Really? How funny. Can't wait to see the trio soon." Serena then looked at Yeojin. "Ready?" "Eung!" Yeojin smiled brightly. "I get to have lunch with Minji today!" "And who is Minji?" "My best friend." "Aww. Is she in your grade, too?" Yeojin shook her head. "No she's in another class, but we always see each other at lunch." "Ahh, that's good to know." "Alright, everyone ready?" Melanie asked as she looked at her sisters as they nodded their head. "OK. Let's go!"

~~~~~~~

"Don't forget to pick me up, OK?" Serena told her sister as Melanie dropped her older sister off at her work several minutes after ten. "I'm not stupid." Melanie retorted while rolling her eyes at her older sister. "I'm just making sure." Serena repeated. "Remember what happened last time?" "Yeah. That wasn't my fault. You didn't answer your phone." "True." "Dumb. Anyways, have fun working at MONBEBE now though." Melanie grinned as Serena made a face. "I wish I was at STARSHIP though." "You don't wanna go to SEVENTH COLOR instead?" "No way." Serena rejected before looking at her sister with a hopeful look. "Wanna trade?"

Melanie instantly rejected the offer. "Hell no. I finally get to work in an office and not have to deal with customers face to face anymore at MONBEBE." "C'mon. The cafe isn't that bad, y'know." Melanie shot Serean a 'hell no' look while doing the neck cutting motion. "Nope. Not going back." "Oh, c'mon. It's not as bad as working at the online magazine, although for me there is just some issues. So, yeah, that one is out, but the cafe, dude." Serena then remembered something. "Hey, wait. What about that boyfriend of yours? That Minsoo guy or something? If you stay at MONBEBE, then you can see him at the Gangnam location instead of working here at the Seocho one while I go work at STARSHIP." Serena tried once again.

"Actually we broke up a month ago." Melanie informed her sister as Serena's eyes went wide. "What? Why? I thought you two were gonna get real serious. Yeah?" "We were, but his ex came back in to the picture out of the blue and started causing problems. So I told him I wasn't having any of that bullshiet. So I ended it." "Did he cheat?" "No, but he admitted that he was talking to her again when I told him I didn't want him to since he broke up with her in the first place for cheating on him." "Wow." "Yeah, so no. I'm not gonna deal with MONBEBE and gonna enjoy myself at STARSHIP." Melanie then gaze her sister a steady gaze. "But seriously, if you wanna work there again, go ask your dad to do it." "Psh, yeah right. I was doing well in Sydney until he told me to come back home to deal with whatever is going on with this location." "Welcome to managment."

Serena glared at her sister. "Hey. You're the one that actually wanted to be in the whole managment thing, remember?" "Yeah, but you're the one that actually liked to bake and shiet. And read and write. So not my problem." "Yeah, true that." "Well, if you don't wanna do MONBEBE, then all that's left is to go full-time at SEVENTH COLOR with what's his face, because there's no way in Hell I'm giving up om STARSHIP." Serena shook her head instantly. "Fcuk no. Even doing part-time there is still a hassle with that guy." Melanie shrugged. "Not my problem." She then looked at her sister seriously. "It's not like your taking over any of the management anyways. That's why Dad got uncle Andy on running MONBEBE, uncle Eric at STARSHIP, and uncle Steve at SEVENTH COLOR."

Serena agreed upon hearing that while nodding her head. "True that. True that." Melanie then shot her sister another look. "Can I go now?" Serena let out a relunctant sigh. "I guess." "Hurry up. I don't wanna be late." Melanie urged with slight annoyance as Serena shot her sister another glare. "You don't work until eleven anyways." "And your point is?" Melanie smiled as Serena rolled her eyes. "Nothing, I guess." "Exactly. You're the one that's actually late." "Well, I am a manager, so I'm okay." "Yeah, yeah. Anything else?" "Yes. Don't forget to pick me up." "Dude. Why not ride the bus since I get out much later than you?" "Because I don't remember the bus route, okay." "Not my problem." "Should be, since youbacked my car into a fire hydrant."

"That was you." "No it wasn't." "You fell asleep on the way home that one night. So, you left the car at Dad's to get fix, but because he's been busy, it hasn't gotten fix yet." "Damn, seriously? That long." "Yeah. Dad and Narae have been gone and out of the country since you left." "Damn, shiet, mang. Lame." "Yeah, dummy." "Whatever. Just text me when you get out then. OK? I'll just wait after hours if I have to until I learn the bus route again." " Yeah, yeah. Got it, Mom." Melanie mocked saluted her sister before Serena closed the door to let her drive away. "Little brat." She muttered as she watched the car get smaller and small before facing the small cafe in front of her. The older woman let out a breath before looking down at her attire.

"Maybe I should have gone for more of a professional look like Won Won for my first day on the job here." She let out a wry laugh before shrugging her shoulders and made her way inside MONBEBE. "Hello! Welcome to MONBEBE!" She heard the typical greeting of the cafe, but felt something was a bit off when she only heard male voices within the greeting. Serena slightly looked around as she smiled at the crew and noticed that they were indeed all male. There was no female staff at all from what she could see as she scanned the area and noticed that there was only three workers on the floor. "Usually there should be at least six working on the floor during the day." She muttered to herself as she walked up to the counter with a smile plaster to her face.

"Good morning, ma'am." The cashier greeted her with a bright smile. "What can we make fresh for you?" So far so good, Serena thought as she looked at his name tag before speaking. "Hello, Minkyun. Is the manager and assistant manager in?" The younger male's smile instantly dropped as he stuttered over the next works he spoke. "Um, well, the manager, and the uh assistant, um..." He trailed off as he turned to look behind him. "Kwangji hyung." He called out to the worker behind him who was in the midst of making an order. "Hmm?" "Um, this lady is asking for the mana

Please log in to read the full chapter