Chaper 9

The Dark of a Light

"Okay, SinB, we're here. Now, we promise that these guys are all good. Hunters, yes you've heard of hunters. We're just hunters. We just wanna protect you is that alright with you?" Jinyoung said, for the millionth time that hour to SinB.

The girl rolled her eyes and looked at him, wondering how on earth he managed to repeat himself, word for word, each time. She thought he would at least change it a bit, but nope. Just the same thing. "Yes. Jinyoung. You made that pretty clear the first time you said it, about a billion senteces ago. I. Am. Oh. Kay." She looked into his eyes, widening her own, as if it was enough to make him shut up. It was, and he turned away. Why the hell didn't I think of that first?! SinB, you idiot. You could've saved yourself!

SinB followed Jinyoung into the HQ of the hunters. It was hidden, an underground bunker. She hoped it was similar to a hobbit hole. Those things were nice. Inside the bunker, SinB saw that no, it was not a hobbit hole, but it wasn't a bomb shelter either. It was actually really homey with all the decorations put up. She wanted to stop and see all the photos, but Jinyoung had no intention for the two to stop and smell the roses. He soldiered on ahead to the study area where he saw six other hunters sitting around, heaps of books open, and a laptop sitting in front of a pretty girl. She looked up to Jinyoung, smiling, and called out, "Hey! Look everyone! Jinyoung's home!"

Bam Bam and Youngjae turned to look at him. Youngjae smiled widely, and ran to hug the older boy. Bam Bam followed. "Hyung!" They screamed in unison, before forcing Jinyoung into a bear hug. He laughed at the two boys and hugged them back as best he could. "Hello, Bam Bam. Hello, Youngjae." 

Once their excitement died down, Jinyoung remembered SinB. He was about to introduce her when Youngjae introduced himself to her. "Hello, I am Choi Youngjae. How are you, miss?" His smile remained. Jinyoung was pretty sure this was the only hunter who managed to maintain a smile and feel its effects. How he enived that Youngjae. 

Luckily, SinB had contracted the contagiousness that was Youngjae's happy attitude. She laughed loudly at him after she introduced herself and he told her a joke. He pulled her to meet the other hunters at the bunker. At each person, she bowed and introduced herself again and again, "Annyeonghasaeyo, SinB idnida." The hunters were all warm toward her as Jinyoung stood back with Bam Bam. 

Bam Bam looked at the other man, raising his eyebrow. He wondered where Mark was; they were supposed to be together the entire day looking for the Nephilim. He guessed that that's who SinB was. But he was worried for Mark. Did something happen to their angel? He cautiously asked Jinyoung, bracing himself for the worst.

"Hm? Oh, yeah he went away for a bit. Kind of a misunderstanding between him and SinB. Don't worry, I'll call him back soon enough." He smiled warmly at Bam Bam, who calmed down. Mark would probably be touched that Bam Bam cared so much for him. Or maybe not. He still wasn't used to much human interaction. When they first met, Jinyoung was visibly distraught and Mark, who was the only one in his presence, didn't realise. He was getting better, but sometimes the hunters had to remind him. They looked back to the Nephilim interacting with the others, fitting right in. They almost forgot she wasn't technically a human. Jinyoung counted the amount of people present. There should be 11, including the other hunters. He counted 7. It took him a minute to realise who was missing.

"Where's the witch and Jae Bum hyung? And Jackson and Yugyeom?" He asked with a sudden ferocity. 

Bam Bam blinked. "Oh. They went to work on a case."

"MWOH?!" 

"JB hyung said that he wanted Jackson and Geo to get experience!" Bam Bam flinched.

Jinyoung ruffled his hair and looked around. He had stated very clearly that the witch was not to go out on any hunts with them. Who knew what it would do? It had one job. One

"H-hey, hyung. It'll be alright. I don't--"

"Don't what? Think that it'll do any harm? It's a witch, for God's sakes."

"Mark said that we could trust her..."

Jinyoung scoffed but shut his mouth. He tried to control his temper. "Mark also said that the reason the Twilight franchise was made was because it was interesting. Who are you gonna trust?"

Bam Bam said nothing in return, instead looked at his shoes as if suddenly interested in all the lines that the wooden floorboards had. He didn't know what to say to Jinyoung. He didn't know what exactly happened in his past, just that it had to do with witches. No one had the courage to ask him, so no one knew what he went through before he came into contact with Jae Bum and the others. They just knew he had a problem. They could see it everytime a problem with a witch came up. Jinyoung was always reluctant at first, but he was always the one to come up with the solution. 

Jinyoung was watching Bam Bam as he chewed his lip and avoided his eyes. Immediately, Jinyoung felt bad for making him feel a little bit frightened, but wasn't sure how to say sorry. Instead, Jinyoung walked away, muttering an apology Bam Bam probably wouldn't hear, and walked away toward his room, letting his thoughts wander. In this life, not much seemed to frighten a hunter, except for the other hunters. Hunting duos were the most common, and it had been a miracle for them to find up to six for a group. Junho and Gikwang had each other after they lost Jay and Hyunseung, their respective partners. Krystal found a nice little duo with Nayeon after she lost Sulli, whereas the latter was fending for herself for years. Sure, they had friends, but they didn't really connect the way they did with their own little partner.

For his first years into the life, Jinyoung was alone, watching his two older sisters. Those two were there for each other, not so much Jinyoung. But it wasn't all bad, he had his father. His parents forced him into the life. Since he was their only son, his father made sure that he would be the toughest, the protector. His sisters, though beautiful fighters, were "not good enough to lead the next generation of Park hunters." Their mother taught them to be researchers. His father trained Jinyoung to be a soldier while he allowed his sisters to lead a somewhat normal life. He wasn't envious. He was glad that at least he could see first hand what a normal life was, even if it meant that he wasn't going to have one. At least his noonas could. And abeoji made me a good solider. I follow orders. 

The angry fire in his chest started up again as he remembered his late father. He couldn't remember much of his mother because she wasn't really there to pay attention to him, more his sisters. Jinyoung thought back to the last time he saw them, the accident that was all his fault because he wasn't careful enough. He rarely thought back to the incident because it was the most painful time of his life. It was the one thing that haunted him in his life. If he ever went to Hell, he knew which ghosts would be waiting for him. Still, he had to think about it sometime. What better timing than when he was accepting help from the species that made it all happen?

 


 

Flashback - Jinyoung's POV

Eomeoni and abeoji left me in the motel room with my noonas to care for me. Well, more like I have to care for them. They told them that they were going to a restaraunt for a nice meal and that they should try make something for me. I don't know what they would make, there was nothing in the room that would make a healthy meal. But I know the truth. We all know the truth. They went for a hunt. I don't know why eomeoni went. She doesn't like going on hunts.

Unlike me, my sisters get to go to school. I watch as they do their homework and message their friends. What would having a friend feel like? My noonas aren't like my friends. They don't really talk to me. I was bored. There was nothing to do in this room. I wondered why I don't get to go to school and yet they do. I'm eleven. I should go to school too. Reading abeoji's notes and listening to eomeoni's speeches aren't enough. I want to learn what my noonas learn. I want to know how to do math, science, English. I want to know what trigonometry is. I don't know why they make me be the one who has to hunt.

"Noona..." I whine. "I'm bored!"

She doens't turn her head toward me, but replies anyway, frustrated. "Jinyoung, I don't know what you can do. Watch TV or something."

But I don't want to. There's only one station on TV and it's Sesame Street. I don't like those monsters. They're not real enough.

"Noona... Can you teach me maths?" I asked my other sister.

"Jinyoung... This is too advanced for you. You wouldn't know what to do!"

"But... But... Please, noona! I'm bored!" I whine more hoping that they'd do something with me for five minutes. They put down their pens and look at me, their eyes blazing with fury. Uh-oh.

"Jinyoung... I'm going to say this once, okay? Stop bothering us. Go over there and read your book or something."

"But I already read--"

"Then read it again! Jesus Christ, Jinyoung, we're busy!"

I flinch at her sudden outburst. I know I can be annoying to them, but they've never yelled at me before. She sees that I'm scared, and I tense. She's going to tell abeoji and then he'll hit me. For as long as I can remember, they've always told me, "Hunters don't get scared. You're the scary one." Then they'd ask if I was a hunter.

"Yes!"

And then they'd tell me about all the horrors in the world. If I flinched or made any signs of slight fear, they would slap me. If I cried at the stinging pain, they'd hit me again. Now, in front of my noonas, they can see that I am scared. They saw me flinch. My heart pounds. She's going to tell abeoji and he will hit me. She's going to tell abeoji and he will hit me. I feel tears form, threatening to spill, but I look away before they can see. She's going to tell abeoji and he will hit me.

"Hey... Nyoungie... Don't be scared, okay? It's just been a long day..." I feel one of them pull me into a gentle hug. I bury my face into her shoulder, hugging her back. I sniff, but I do not cry. I will not cry. 

My other noona opens my closed fist and places money in it. "Here. I saw a game outside that you can play. This should entertain you for a bit longer, okay?" She says gently.

I nod at my sisters. I am still certain they'll tell abeoji, so I ask them not to.

"Don't worry, Nyoungie. We know how harsh he can be on you. We won't tell him. Go and have some fun, alright? You deserve it." She smiled warmly at me and I beam back at her. I hug them again before going to find the game. 

White streetlamps guide me to the motel lobby, dotting the damp black road. I can smell the dampness, feel my senses getting clearer and more focused. I am going to own that game! 

I run to the lobby, the money in my hands and I am giggling. I am finally going to have fun! Sure, abeoji may have meant I was in charge, but he still didn't say it exactly. He said, "Okay, girls. You take care of Jinyoung." We couldn't have been certain. Twice before he didn't mean it, so he can't get mad at me. And my noonas don't need me. They can fend for themselves. I want to play the game.

When I go inside the lobby, I ask the person if I can have a go. They smile at me and say that I can. To them, they only see a little boy who is probably on vacation with his family. They do not see what my family put me through. They see a little innocent boy wanting to play a game. But not the fact that I know how to handle a blade and a gun better than most adults. A little boy who wants some fun. A little boy who never gets to do what he wants. I giggle as I play the game, making the yellow pie man chase the white dots and running from the pink, blue, red and yellow ghosts. Part of my laughter is reserved for the fact that ghosts don't look like that. Ghosts looks like people. They can be defeated by burning the remains of their bodies or whatever object they're attached to. In the meantime, iron slows them down. I play until the money my noona gave me runs out. I hardly get to play any games and I am thankful that my noonas allowed me.

I thank the person, who was laughing at me the entire time I was playing. He nods and smiles, moving to open the door so I can go back to my room. As I cross the road to it, I feel much colder. I don't know how long I was playing, but it must be late. Something is wrong, something nags at me. I shrug it off. It is just paranoia; I'm a hunter and so I always think something is wrong. My playful spirit follows me, warming me up as I approach the room. 

Immediately, I know that I am an idiot. The room door is open. Abeoji and eomeoni are not back, the Corolla would be there. I know that I didn't leave it open. Even if I did, my noonas would close it. Anxiety piles up in my chest. The room is still light, but I do not hear my sisters. I do not hear them talking to each other or the scratch of their pencils on their papers no matter how hard I strain my ears. I am scared to open the door, but I do so anyway. The door knob is as cold as a corpse. I know because I had to help abeoji move several. I take a deep breath and widen the door.

The first think that hits be is the smell. It is metallic, the smell of blood. I panic, telling myself that it isn't my noonas'. It isn't. It isn't it isn't it isn't. It isn't. It is. It is. I am crying. I know better than this. I should have paid attention to that little voice from before. I should have raced back. I could have helped. I stand in the doorway, my eyes shut tightly, not wanting to see what lay ahead of me. I know that it is the bodies of my sisters. I want to deny. I want to believe that they helped themselves. But I can't. I know better. 

I find the courage to open my eyes and I am greeted with the horrifying image. The room is in chaos. There is glass everywhere as well as blood. The bed sheets are messy with blood splatters. There are papers everywhere. I look closer and realise that it is my sister's homework. Her neat handwriting is scrawled. The desk and the chairs, wooden, are broken, and one is fashioned into a makeshift stake, red at the pointed end. The walls are splattered red with blood. At one wall in particular, the blood is running like condensaion, leading to a bed. There's so much of it, so much. I am focusing on the room because I can't stand to look at the bodies. Eventually I force myself to. I always have to.

My eldest sister is on the bed, her eyes burnt out, blood running down her face like tears. There's a bloody gunshot in the centre of her forehead. In her hand is a knife, bloodied and next to her dead form. Laying on top of her is another body. It isn't my other sister, but instead a person I've never seen. She has black hair and is wearing black. Her eyes are open but dead. I know that she is. I don't bother with closing her eyes.

I look for my other sister. She isn't in the room. Hesitantly, I look in the bathroom. Sure enough, there she is, in front of the toilet. She is sitting, her head back, resting on the toilet seat. Her eyes are still in her head, unlike my other sister. I know because they are open. She doesn't have a wound from a gun, but instead what looks like nail scratches all over the top of her face and legs. Her fingers are not bloody, so I know she didn't scratch herself to death. There is blood surrounding , dripping to her neck. The sink is full of blood and teeth. I don't know what happened, but looking at my sister, with wide open, I have a feeling she coughed blood out to the point of death. The teeth is something else. There is no body near her. I go closer to her, so I can close her eyes. 

I feel warm tears flowing down my face. My nose is stuffy. I am so distressed. Everything is rushing to me. I have lost my sisters. This is my fault. Your death is my fault. Both of you. Isn't it? I bend down and my hands are shaking as I go toward her eyes, which are still warm. I'm just a little bit too late. I feel the air around my constrict like a python around a mouse. I cannot breathe. I close my sister's eyes. I want to hug her. 

As I get back up, I notice something I didn't before. Under the white sink, a smal green bag. I reach to get it and feel it in my palm. It is soft material, tied like a little bag. There is string around it. I feel its weight. I carry it back with my into the main room, wiping my tears on my arm. I look at my other sister, on the bed. I look around for more of the little bags. I don't find any and so I mourn my sister. I am a tiny ball. The ache in my chest is making me see red. I cry and rock back and forth for what seems like ages. I am hysterical. I cannot breathe properly. I killed my sisters. It's all my fault.

I am slapped out of my thoughts as abeoji hits me. Faintly, I hear my mother crying. Abeoji yells at me. There are red and white and blue lights. My sisters...

I am dragged by my hair through the room. The lights are gone...

Eomeoni is shouting at me. She is mourning my sisters...

Abeoji is shoving me into a wall and is screaming.

"How dare you not protect your sisters?!"

"Are you a hunter?!"

"You cannot have a normal life!"

I don't know who says what. I just know I am hearing them call me worthless. My eyes are hurting. My chest is tight. There is a throbbing pain in my head. My arm is sore. My cheeks are stinging. I try to move my fingers, but I am met with a shooting pain. They must be broken again. Abeoji likes to do that. I am numb aside from the pain. I see stars in my vision.

I. Am. In. Pieces.

The bag is still in my hand. I can feel it. Something in the corner of my eyes catches my attention, but I am quickly released from its presence. The thing moved with the same grace as my sister. Could it be her? No. No no no. I am seeing things. 

Before I know it, there is a jarring noise. The sound of a door being kicked back. I hear my father and mother scream. I cannot move. I do not know what is happening. I briefly feel strong arms scooping me up and placing me in the bathtub. I feel something being pressed into my hands. The shooting pain returns. My fingers are broken, after all. There's a face in front of mine. Eomeoni.

"Nyoungie. Nyoungie, oh my baby. I love you, okay? Never forget eomma loves you. I love you so much, okay? You're my baby, my baby, my baby," She is crying. Why is she crying? She smothers me and I breathe in her scent. She is warm. She kisses my head. She is cold. She is gone.

I can hear fighting. There are grunts. Are they my mother's? Where is my sister? She was just here. 

"Jinyoung. Jinyoung. I love you. I am proud of you. I am so proud of you. Don't forget. I love you I love you I love you. Appa is proud of you and Ioves you." Abeoji is crying. I've never seen him cry. He pats my head and kisses the top of my head. He takes the things out of my hands, puts them in a bag and leaves them beside me. He's going. Where is he going?

A flash of a grinning face of a madman. His eyes are wide. Blood is all over his face. He lifts his arm.

"Hello?! Hello?! Is anyone here?" I don't know this voice.

"Oh my god, it is a child! Come here, quick!"

I am being carried out. Who is this person who is talking to me? Where are my parents?

"My name is Park Jinyoung. My... My... My sisters..."

"Park Jinyoung. Oh, baby, I am so sorry but your parents are dead."

I am running. I am in the motel room. I am gripping my bag. Someone has bandaged my fingers. But it still hurts. I am running. I am in a dark alley. I am sitting. I look through the bag. I still cannot focus. I try.

My name is Park Jinyoung. I am a hunter. My name is Park Jinyoung. I am a hunter. I do not cry. I do not fear. My name is Park Jinyoung. I am eleven. My family is dead. They are dead and it is my fault. My name is Park Jinyoung. I am an orphan. I am broken.

It takes a while but eventually I regain my focus. I look through my bag. It contains a few things. My necessary weapons. The ones abeoji bought for me. There is a box. I open it and there are pictures. I don't look through it. There is my eldest sister's gun, my other sister's knife, my mother's journal, and my father's necklace. There is also the little bag I found. I hold it in my hand. I have seen this before. I open my mother's journal, the source of all my knowledge. I soon find the page I'm looking for. I open the little bag. Rabbit's teeth, bird bones, gold thread.

Hex bag. Hex bag means witches. I know what killed my sisters. And what came back to kill my parents. I am sure of it. It tried to kill me. I am alive.

My name is Park Jinyoung and I am a hunter. I do not cry. I do not fear. I am the nightmare to the nightmares. 

My name is Park Jinyoung and I am alive.

I am a hunter. 

 



 

Hello dear readers ^^

Wow, that was a rollercoaster for me to write... I was actually crying like I hate having to make my favourites suffer. But, like geodes, to see what their made of, you must break them... I am crying so much right now you have no idea. And no, I don't know why. To be honest, I'm pretty sure I'm not even making them seem like they actually are... I'll work on that a little bit more later on. 

And yes, this is a very long chapter and I am sorry :( It was actually a lot longer before, I edited so much of it. And finally, someone has a back story. I can't promise the rest won't be as heartbreaking. They would probably be worse... But don't worry, Junior isn't that much of an in the future ^^ 

I hope that it was interesting though, otherwise I wrote a really long chapter for no reason lol

Take care guys!! Thank you for reading ^^