Chapter 25

The Dark of a Light

Jackson slammed into the wooden floorboards of the bunker, pain flaring at his head and back. His vision out, stars being the only thing he could visualise. He choked as someone helped him to sit up, rubbing his back. Something cold pressed at the back of his head. There was some jarring noise that seemed to want to find its way to him, but Jackson couldn't quite make it out. As the stars started to disappear, and the throb of his head lessened, Jackson was able to make out his surroundings. The first thing that he saw were the dark brown eyes, worried by fear. The second thing he noticed in the room was that they belonged someone he didn't know. Before he could ask, something in his stomach set off and he convulsed. Throwing himself to his side, he let go of all the food that he had consumed recently. He retched and gagged before finally wiping his mouth on the back of his hand and looking back at the girl who no longer crouched in front of him, but now stood to the side with Jaebum in front of her, his arm to her shoulder, looking back at Jackson.

He managed a weak smile at the girl. "Hi. I'm Jackson. Pleased to meet me," he said before the unconcious welcomed him back.

 


 

The next time he woke up, he was back in his room with a wet towel over his forhead. He saw the grape coat with golden swirls hanging at the door, and Nayeon and Jaebum right beside him. Jackson struggled to get up, before Jaebum rushed to him and pushed him down into his bed. 

"No, you're not going anywhere. You probably have a concussion or something," he said.

"Probably has a concussion?" Nayeon asked him.

Jaebum rolled his eyes. "You're a psychologist, remember?"

She decided not to argue with him (a well chosen decision) and then returned to Jackson. "Aside from nauseated and disgusted, how are you feeling?"

Jackson grinned at her. "I'm fine. Just... I have a feeling that something just happened... I can't remember what, though..." He rummaged his memory, trying to figure out what it was exactly that he was doing before he was thrown into the bunker. 

"See? He can't remember anything. Concussed, I tell you! Concussed!" Nayeon said.

Jackson held his hands up in surrender. "Nayeon, no screaming! Please. My head hurts."

Nayeon tsked. "Well don't try to sit up. I'll see if I can get you anything to make you not so bored." She looked at him with concern and left the room without another word.

Jaebum sat at the foot of Jackson's bed, staring at his hands in his lap. He looked up to Jackson after five heartbeats. 

"Where were you?" He asked softly.

Jackson tried to angle his body to look at Jaebum as much as he could. The last thing he remembered was going with Krystal to Hell to talk to Lucifer and Jackson almost said yes to being his vessel. If that was brought up again, Jaebum would have a fit, and he didn't know how the older man was going to react to hearing the story. He decided the best thing to do was to do what he did best.

"I was at an ugly costume party," Jackson lied.

Jaebum looked sceptical. "An ugly costume party?"

Jackson nodded. "I won."

"No kidding."

Oh, thank God, I got away with it, Jackson sighed with relief.

"Except... You don't have any friends to have an ugly costume party." Jinyoung said.

.

Jaebum stood up and went to Jackson's side, taking the wet cloth and replacing it with another, cooler one. He sat down in the chair beside him. "Jackson, I know you're lying. I mean, you're lying to the guy who lies for a living. We all do. Now where were you?"

Jackson swallowed. After several moments of deliberately opening and closing his mouth slowly, hoping Jaebum would grow tired and leave (which he did not), he decided to answer truthfully. "Beofre you kill us... just know that we needed help... And Krystal found a vital piece of information." He stared up into his eyes. "The Nephaelem... She's... She's the daughter of Lilith."

"Lilith is dead. You killed her. What, were you going to somehow get a medium to talk to a demon?" Jaebum was growing impatient.

"She's the daughter of Lilith... And Lucifer."

In an instant, Jaebum hurled the bowl of water across the room. "You went to Hell with Krystal?!" He shouted. "What the hell were you thinking? No, don't. Don't even say that you needed Kris's help to talk to Lucifer for information on his daughter, you know full well you could have done that yourself. You know the consequences. And you should know that for that he'd ask you to be his vessel to get out of the cage." Jaebum reached under the bedside table and grabbed a flask that had the engraving of the cross on it. Holy Water. 

"I'm not Lucifer! And Holy Water won't work on him, he isn't a demon!"

"When I first met Jackson Wang, what was the first thing I said to him?!"

"Wh-"

"WHEN I FIRST MET JACKSON, WHAT WAS THE FIRST THING I SAID TO HIM?!"

Jackson choked back tears before shakily saying, "Don't expect me to save your entire family."

Jaebum calmed down immediately. Just as quickly, he punched a hole in the wall. "A demon could have access to that information."

"Look, if you want me to prove I'm not Lucifer, just trap me in Holy Fire."

Jaebum didn't look at him. "Even if you are not Lucifer... You know the consequences of seeing him again. You know... Jackson, what if he forced you to say yes? What if you just said yes because he made you a better deal? You... Jackson..." His voice had gone monotone and he collected himself together. "Sleep. When you're better, we can talk."

He left the room without another word, leaving Jackson feeling more alone than ever. When Jaebum's voice became like that... It was when he was at his scariest. When he was like that, he was always angrier than usual, always more disappointed. It killed Jackson. He lay awake for a few more minutes before he allowed the throbbing in his head to take him under the darkness.

 


 

Jackson braced himself for the deal that Lucifer would strike up. Before, Krystal had told him he would ask for a vessel. She volunteered herself. Now that she was up there with Kris... Jackson couldn't think how that would ever be possible. He was standing in front of him, after all. "What do you need?" He asked,

Lucifer closed his eyes and breathed serenely. It put Jackson off. The Devil shouldn't be serene. "A vessel. A new one." He opened his eyes and locked his with Jackson's then smiled coldly.

Jackson immediately knew that he would not be able to get Krystal down in time. He couldn't. As much as he didn't want Krystal to be his vessel, he couldn't. Back when the Apocalypse hit... No. He couldn't be Lucifer's vessel. The world wouldn't stand a chance. "You don't mean..."

"I see no one else. Just a little 'yes', Jacksy," Jackson shivered at the nickname Lucifer had given him. "It's the only way." Although he didn't say it, Jackson knew what he meant. The Chosen One. "If you don't..." He didn't need to finish his last sentence. 

Slowly, Jackson was pulled into the cage with Lucifer. He saw it all unfold, Lucifer's powers somehow gravitating Jackson toward him. He smiled wickedly. Jackson turned around and touched the bars. He tugged on them, unable to believe that he was there. He felt Lucifer come up behind him, his warmth an icky feeling.

"I'll make you say yes." 

Jackson didn't turn around. He stayed facing outward as Lucifer hummed through his ear, his breath hot on his neck. Jackson cried, hot tears spilling down his cheeks. 

"Yes," someone said. The voice was familiar, but it definitely wasn't his. He turned around and gasped.

"I'm sorry," he heard him whisper, before he felt a warm hand being placed on his head. Just before the bright light of the Angels in front of him burst out, he slammed into the bunker.

 


 

Jackson sat upright and immediately started to retch. Wiping away his sweat, he slowly got up and put his hands to the wall to steady himself. He had to tell Jinyoung who Lucifer was. He stepped one foot out the door before he passed out again, not awaking for another three days as Lucifer continued to wear his new skin.

 



 

Hey guys! 

Exam week starts next week and I am already dead. I've literally lost motivation to study. One good thing though, I am practicing for my creative part! Oh god, pray for me and my grades, I really need this, my future depends on it. I have no idea if I'll be able to update but I promise to let you know beforehand!! 

Thanks for reading this chapter, btw. I hope you guys have enjoyed it and have had a great week. May all you pass all your tests! Until next time! ^^