Chapter 19

The Dark of a Light

SinB stepped onto the plush green grass and ran in the direction that her gut told her to. She didn't even look back to see where Yugyeom and Bam Bam were, she continued her pursuit to Mingyu. The tug at her core was dragging her into a neighbourhood and she didn't know where she was going, except that it would lead her to Mingyu. She stopped short in front of a brick red door. The pull at her gut lead to inside the house, but she couldn't just barge in. She knocked on the door and waited, the invisible rope wanting to pull her in rather than have her stand still. Bam Bam and Yugyeom caught up, catching their breath and hiccupping. 

"Do. Not. Again." Bam Bam wheezed. Yugyeom collapsed on the ground. 

SinB looked at her companions with bewilderment. She knocked on the door again. They waited a few minutes for the boys to catch their breath and the door finally opened. A young man stood in the doorway and SinB smiled widely at his face. She didn't need the pull at gut to tell her that this man was him. He gasped.

"Eunbi," he whispered and she threw her arms around him. It was a strange reunion for the hunters to witness, but they were more concerned with their breathing to return back to normal than they were with the fact that they had found the second Nephilim. 

"Mingyu! I found you!" SinB cried. Mingyu cried with her, hugging his cousin tightly. He held her at arms length and examined her, and she wiped her tears away. 

"Eunbi-ah. What are you doing here? Who are they?" He gestured to the boys that accompanied her.

She smiled. "Yugyeom and Bam Bam. They're hunters."

"Hunters?"

SinB nodded. "They need our help."

Mingyu snorted. "Well, that's a first. Come inside, you look like you've run a marathon."

"We have," grumbled Yugyeom.

The three guests followed Mingyu into his home, which was bare save for a chair here and there. "Sorry for the mess or lack thereof. But I just moved in from the street and, well... I never had much to begin with." He offered them some dokbokki that he had but they declined, requesting water to quench their thirst. While doing so, SinB caught her cousin up with everything.

"So... blood magic, huh? Doesn't sound right."

SinB rolled her eyes. "I forgot you're the more 'angelic' of the two of us. Please, Mingyu! We need you."

Mingyu looked at his cousin and saw her faint grey glow. He saw a small pair of wings which would be much larger and ethereal had she been an angel. Since she was half human, she had a physical form that wasn't a vessel, but he saw that even that was a slightly facade. To humans, they appeared to be like one of them. To each other, he saw where a part of her broke off to pure light. Angel light.

"Say I agree to help you. What makes you think the plan will work?" Mingyu asked.

"Well... For one thing, it took our entire being to keep her locked. It's a safe theory that a few drops of blood would do the same trick."

Mingyu groaned. "Eunbi, it will be a few drops. It isn't enough. We weren't even enough."

"Which is where the magic comes in. Look, I know you aren't crazy about it-"

"Obviously."

"But it's either this or nothing. I can't live this life knowing that she is out there, causing some form of evil on the world."

Mingyu pinched his nose bridge. "She hasn't done anything so far."

"Because she's still sort of weak. Give it a few more days, then you'll see." Her voice was rising, trying to persuade him to see her side and help. She knew that they needed him. It wouldn't work with just her. She couldn't be both the lock and the key. She needed Mingyu. She needed the balance he brought. 

"Look, I want to help. I really do. But her being free doesn't mean that badness will spread. Maybe she just wants to be free." 

SinB's face seemed to say Really? "I just meant... That she hasn't done anything so far. All we know is that she's free. Nothing else has been done. Do we really need to lock her back up when she's done nothing?"

SinB studied her cousin. She hadn't seen his face in light before and therefore never noticed how beautifully carved his features were. His soft, pale skin flushed slightly, and his eyes were welcoming and reminded her of hot chocolate. He was a lot taller than she would have pictured. Like his personality, he appeared to have inherited his angelic parent's beauty. Even his glow was brighter and whiter. His wings were larger and had a fuller plummage. He even had a hint of a Halo over his head. SinB knew she didn't have one. He was so full of light and it was hard to believe that he was refusing to help defeat the being that personified the dark.

"That doesn't mean she won't do something soonr or later. Please, Mingyu." SinB placed her hands in his, and looked him in the eyes. Bam Bam and Yugyeom cleared teir throats.

"Sorry, to interrupt this... Whatever this is, but Bam Bam needs the bathroom," Yugyeom said shyly. 

"Uh... Down the hallf, second on right."

The hunters bowed in unison and ran together in the direction of the toilet.

"Huh, I thought it was only Bams who needed to pee," SinB wondered out loud.

"Same. Anyhow, I don't know if I can help you guys. First, it is magic that we should not be associated with."

"Our parents locked us in with Herodias for thousands of years!"

"That doesn't mean we should subject ourselves to hednoism. Eunbi-ah. You know that if I could, I would. But this is too much evil for me to take part of. The whole lock and key thing they made of us... It was necessary. And we failed that simple job."

SinB couldn't believe her ears. She thought that her cousin would want to help her. Would want to help rid the world of Herodias. She was so sure that he would help her. Okay, they didn't have much chances to speak to each other, but that didn't mean that she didn't look out for him and he her. She felt her eyes burn with tears threatening to spill. 

"Mingyu..."

But he only shook his head. He put a finger under her chin and lifted her head to look at him. His eyes were full of apologies. He smiled a sad smile and pulled her into an embrace. "I'm sorry. I wish I could help. But I can't fail my mother once more." His voice comforted SinB as she hugged him. He pat her hair and she started crying softly. When they pulled apart, she quickly wiped her face to rid evidence of her tears but her eyes were puffy and red. 

"So you won't help us?"

Mingyu's shoulders fell. His response was his head shaking. He couldn't look her in the eye. SinB nodded and looked down at her shoes. 

"I'm sorry, Eunbi. I wish I could help you. But... Hey, you know where I am. If things get dire... Visit. And then... Then I'll do my best," Mingyu told her.

"That doesn't mean that you'll help us." She sniffled. She refused to look any where other than her feet. She knew that if she looked at her cousin, she'd start sobbing again. She felt Mingyu shift to be closer to her.

"No. No it doesn't. But... I promise you this. If you are desperate, just think of me. I'll be next to you before you know it." She felt him take her hand and then a sharp edge cutting into it. Warm, sticky blood drew as he carved a symbol into her hand. She whimpered softly at the pain, but remained in her position. When he was done, he sliced his hand with the same symbol. He clasped their hands together and murmered softly a chant. Their hands grew hot, but neither let go. A faint orange glow flared. When Mingyu stopped his chanting, every sensation that they had just felt disappeared. SinB looked at her hand and saw no trace of being cut. There was no wound or blood. She looked up at Mingyu.

"I promise that if you're desperate, I'll help you. It only works once, so choose wisely when you need me. After I complete that duty to you, I will not be of service to you." 

SinB nodded and looked to his hand. "What was that?"

He only smiled and said, "Only once. I promise." 

 


 

The drive back to Seoul was silent, SinB refused to tell Bam Bam and Yugyeom what had happened. She looked down at her palm and tried to see any scars. There were none and so she looked out from her window. But she didn't observe. The hunters gave her her much wanted space. When they arrived back at the bunker after their failed mission, SinB went to the room that they allocated for her. The darkness of the room greeted her like an old friend. She fell asleep and for the first time since being freed, she had nightmares.

 



 

I know... I know, Got7 were hardly in this chapter and they were my main focus point. And it was also a small chapter. I promise that the next time the maknaes come back that they will have full priority! 

Thank you for reading though!! *bows 90 degrees exactly* I'm so grateful ^^