Chapter 10

The Dark of a Light

He wasn't sure when exactly, but along remembering his past, Jinyoung fell asleep in his bed. His senses focused, the familiar white-grey of the ceilings, the sounds of never ending chatter coming from the rooms outside. He wasn't sure why he and the other six were the only hunters who stayed here. The others were there no matter what. 

Swinging his legs over the edge of the bed, Jinyoing reached for the bedside table drawer. He pulled out the bag that he received just over ten years ago, still containing his familial contents except his mother's journal, which was on his desk, and his father's necklace, which, in a note hastily written in his father's hand, instrcuted Jinyoung to wear it close to his heart. Being the soldier he was raised to be, he did as the note told him. He reached into the bag and pulled out its contents, holding the only ties to his family that he had. The gun was still loaded, but not because Jinyoung himself had done so. The bullets were from the last time his sister was using it, at least ten days before her death. He remembered that she was hunting a wolf, so the bullets had to be silver. The weight was familiar, the gun a little small for his large hands. His other sister's knife was gleaming silver. It was a small blade with a small, delicate hilt that was engraved with her name. It was a birthday present from their father. The hex bag, disassembled, was still there. He couldn't let that go of that, no matter how much he wanted to throw the bag away. It was too hard for him. 

Finally, he pulled out the box containing photos of his family. It took him years to finally open it and look through. He was with Jae Bum when he did so, the older boy giving him the courage to look at the faces of his sisters and parents again. He flipped through the photos that he didn't remember being taken. He saw photos from when his parents were dating to their marriage, to all the photos from childhood. Upon closer inspection, he saw how alike he looked to his parents. If he really compared himself to his father, he saw a striking resemblance. When he looked at himself compared to his mother, he saw a lot of her in him. He couldn't tell which he looked more like. But one thing he knew was that he had his mother's smile. Looking at his sister's faces, he realised all three Park children had taken his mother's smile. The resemblance between the siblings was clear. He wondered what his mother would say to him if she was alive. He wondered if she would call him handsome, or approve of his life. His father would probably disprove of him finding such a large group of friends, but would know his son was a great hunter. Jinyoung didn't know what his sisters would make of him, if they would be proud of him. Would they be leading normal lives? Would he have brothers in law with nieces and nephews who grow up normally? His heart sank thinking about the sad possible future that was too late to chase.

After a few minutes, he finished looking at all the photos. He put them away, except for one that he decided he would keep out for a while. It was one with himself and his father, alone, on one of their lessons. Jinyoung's father was teaching him to shoot a gun on a moving target. He remembered that day, the amount of effort his father put into making little animated cans for him to pretend was a vampire. Neither looked at the camera for the photo and Jinyoung had no memory of who took it or when it was taken. His father looked proud at his son as he held a gun bigger than he was, face scrunched into concentration as he wanted to make his father proud. Jinyoung looked at his younger self. His hair definitely changed. The past three years, his hair underwent a series of changes. But the little boy in the photo was skinny, his clothes hanging off of his thin frame. Jinyoung knew now that he was much more muscular than he was back then, the years of living and fending for himself hardening him. Even though he thought he didn't think he had changed that much facially, he saw something in his eyes from his past self that he no longer had. Hope. 

Standing to leave the room, Jinyoung stretched and made his way to the door when he heard a ruffle behind him. He knew immediately who it was and felt a little happiness seep into him. He cracked a little smile before turning to face the newcomer.

"You look a lot like him," the angel said, looking up to Jinyoung. Mark was holding the photo Jinyoung kept out with both hands, careful to touch it by the edges to not make fingerprints on the photograph. He was intently staring at it, eyes wide in amazement, as if he couldn't believe that Jinyoung looked like his dad. Jinyoung wondered if his parents would like the angel, if he would approve of their friendship.

He walked toward Mark, and looked at the photo with him. They stood in silence for several more minutes before Mark spoke again. "I'm sorry for what happened, Jinyoung. I know how hard it was for you."

Jinyoung nodded. "It's fine, really. I mean, sure it was sad, but... Well, you know..."

He didn't, but Mark nodded anyway. "Yeah. Sure." He walked away and picked up Mrs. Park's journal. "Your mother's handwriting is impeccable!"

The hunter chuckled. "Yeah. Obviously didn't get that from her now, did I?"

"Obviously not! Yours is atrocius! Your mother's however... It is beautiful." Mark looked up and met Jinyoung eyes. He felt warm on the inside. 

"We should go outside and meet the others, God knows what the others are doing," Jinyoung said, walking toward the door once again. He turned to find Mark right behind him.

"Please don't bring my father into this."

Laughing, Jinyoung opened the door and stepped out, the angel following beside him. They walked in silence, but it was a comfortable one. That's what Jinyoung liked most about Mark. It was comfortable to be around him no matter what. He was like another home for him.

When they reached the common room, everyone else stopped their chattering to say hi to Mark, before returning back to their conversation. Mark looked at Krystal's laptop screen, and looked at the FaceBook profile of Jeon Jungkook that was still open.

"Why do you have a photo of one of the Cambions?"

Krystal's eyes widened in surprise. "You know him? It's actually him?!" 

Next to her, SinB rolled her eyes and smiled a small smile at Mark, still afraid of the angel. "I can't believe you don't believe me, Krystal. Why, why don't you believe me?!"

The other hunters roared in laughter.

"I just didn't think that you were right!"

"How couldn't she be, she lived with all of them for like a billion years," Gikwang added to the conversation, taking a bite out of a fried chicken drumstick. "Do you really think she wouldn't be able to recognise them?"

Krystal rolled her eyes. "It's not that I don't think she wasn't their friend in a way. I'm just confused because I figured that they were in complete darkness! Besides, how was I suppoesd to know that they paid attention to each other!" She defended herself, playfully slapping him.

SinB laughed, "Actually, Jungkook and I were great friends! Even the other Cambion was awesome!"

"There's more than one?!" Junho exclaimed, immediately next to the Nephilim.

She looked at him strangely, as if frightened of his speed and loudness, but was trying to hold in her laughter. "Of course there's more than one. There's two Nephilim and two Cambions. But, the Nephaelem was a lone wolf. I never saw it." She shrugged, and reached to take a chip. When they ordered food, Jinyoung was unable to figure it out. "There were two of us because one was a lock and one was a key. Herodias never figured out who was who, which species was which, which one was the lock and the key."

"Then the Nephaelem?" Asked Nayeon.

"That one kept Herodias busy from ever finding out. They were always tearing each other apart. I don't know why, but that's just how it was for so many centuries. One day, I guess Herodias found a weak point and somehow found out. One way or another, we're all free, even the Nephaelem."

The hunters nodded at the new information. With SinB's help, they could track down the other hybrids. With Mark, maybe he would track down the Nephaelem. 

"So, what is Soojung's plan, exactly?" Mark asked.

"Soojung? Who's that?" Bam Bam asked the angel. All hunters looked confused at the new name.

"You know. Soojung. The witch you're working with?" 

A collective 'oh' went around the room, Youngjae being the first to respond. "Oh, she just figured that getting all the hybrids together, they could combine their powers to make a new cage for Herodias."

SinB turned to look at him, suddenly on edge. "What do you mean use our powers?"

Jinyoung immediately stepped in before Youngjae could explain further. "She hasn't told us yet. But she did tell me that maybe a chant would be involved or some blood? She doesn't want to use you as a lock and key again," he lied. His hand quickly made a dismissed movement with his hand, making it clear to everyone that SinB wouldn't help if she knew the truth, and they really needed it. Youngjae and Krystal felt bad for going on with it, but they kept their mouths shut.

SinB calmed down quite a bit and nodded. She lengthily exhaled a breath in an effort to calm herself down. "Okay, okay. So, do you need me to help with a little bit more?"

The others shook their heads. "You've done quite a lot already, SinB," Krystal said gently. "You already found a way to find the other hybrids."

This caught Jinyoung's attention. "What?"

Krystal looked to him. "Oh! Yeah. We figured that since she can recognise them, SinB will help look for them. Not in the field, don't worry. We wouldn't allow that."

"So... What? You found the name of another hybrid?"

"Yeah. The other Nephilim, Kim Mingyu, who, unfortunately, it quite hard to find."

SinB quietly let out a laugh. "No, no. It should be fine for me. He might recognise me. We're practically cousins! Hey, maybe Mark could help. He is our uncle afterall."

Mark looked to Jinyoung, unable to detect the sarcasm. "No, it is fine. I'm actually going to go look for God again."

Jinyoung's head immedaitely snapped to the angel. He hadn't mentioned this before, or even hinted at it. When did he decide this? Mark turned to him, gently, and looked into his eyes. Somewhere in the room, he heard Junho gasp.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I'm telling you now."

Jinyoung rolled his eyes. "You know what I mean."

Mark looked at Jinyoung's furrowed brows and distressed face. He felt that this was a time he should comfort his friend, but he really wasn't sure. He still didn't understand human interactions. "It was a little last minute, Jinyoung. I only just decided I would. And... I need your help with it."

"You want me to go with you?"

"No. I'm going by myself this time. I think Kai was slowing me down."

"Then what do you need of me? What help can I give you if I am not with you?" 

"You're angry, why are you angry?"

"Because you didn't even think this through! You just came out with this out of no where!"

Mark could see that Jinyoung was upset. He could feel the other hunters' eyes on them as they spoke. Junho's eyes were the widest, his mouth open as well, intently paying attention to the two arguing.

"Jinyoung, I need something of yours before I go. Something that will help me. Please."

Jinyoung looked into Mark's eyes. He looked desperate and that he needed a lot of help. In his heart, he wanted to help him find his father, after so many years without his own. But his head and a small part of his heart was telling him not to. He needed his angel in this war.

"Fine. What do you need?"

Mark stood closer to Jinyoung and slowly reached for the collar of Jinyoung's shirt. Junho breathed in deeply and held his breath. The others looked on, holding their breath as well but not as intense at Junho. What the hell was happening?

Mark's hand approached the cord that disappeared into Jinyoung's shirt, and he gently pulled out the necklace. He looked up into Jinyoung's eyes, silently asked his question. Ever so slightly, Jinyoung shook his head. He couldn't give up his father's necklace.

"Jinyoung, please. It could help. I didn't have this before, which was why I couldn't find him. I needed an pendant that was owned by a true servant of the Lord. It's supposed to burn brightly in his presence. Please Jinyoung, please. I know that this is it. You're a true servant of Him. My father. Please," Mark pleaded, keeping hold of the cord,

Jinyoung exhaled, as did the other hunters. Finally, very slowly, he slipped the necklace off of his neck and placed it into Mark's hand. He held on to it. "My father is the true servant of the Lord. Not me."

Mark smiled. "No. You're worth more than you know." With that, Mark pat Jinyoung's hand and left the room in a blink of an eye, leaving behind a small gust of wind and the faint sound of wings.

 



 

Oh Junho, my ultimate MarkJin shipper... I have no clue why I chose him to be the fangirl of the two... But at least I have someone!!

Back to JB's side of the case next chapter! I am sooo tired right now. Just got back to school after a two week holiday!!! I'm just done because this is my last year of high school and I am so stressed with all the work I have and with my future and just akfhudilghfiodjsajdbshv i can't even

If I suddenly stop with the weekly posting, it is because I am mentally done and just don't want to register anything in life HAHAHAHA

Anyway, hope that you are all enjoying your life and are having a good year!! Can't believe half the year is gone!!! Byeee ^^