Chapter 17

The Dark of a Light

Nayeon had called shotgun so she rode next to Jae Bum on their short trip to Nonhyeoni. She hadn't been in the car with them in ages, and she was excited to finally work on site of a case with the best hunters in Seoul. The excitement was still with her, even after Jae Bum told her off for trying to change the song on the radio station.

"Driver chooses the music, shotgun shuts her cakehole," he told her, and so they were listening to JJ Project's Bounce. She didn't mind, its just that she would prefer to listen to something newer. 

They hadn't been travelling for long, but somehow Jinyoung found it in him to take a nap in the backseat. The other two decided against hard braking just to wake him up. 

"Turn left, turn left! Great you missed it!" Nayeon shouted the directions. 

"You gave me like two seconds notice, of course I'm going to miss the damn turn!" Jae Bum retaliated. Behind them, Jinyoung groaned. 

Nayeon rolled her eyes and stared out the window. Guess we're taking the long way then. Jae Bum did his best not to speed too much, with being responsible for two other lives, but his foot just did what his body wanted to feel - the speed of the car and the rush of adrenaline, the illusion that the task was going to be done faster if he just went did it fast. He had that problem when he was younger, always wanting to rush the task without checking to see if it was done right. It was the only flaw he had, and he had it due to the demons of his own haunted past.

"Okay, in like 2 minutes, turn left," Nayeon warned.

"Thank you! That's what I needed," and Jae Bum signalled the turn.

They had finally arrived in Nonhyeoni, the location of one of the Cambions. While Jae Bum looked for a place to park, Nayeon threw random objects at the sleeping boy. A sharp object pelted at his eyelid when he awoke and surrendered to the job. 

"Try avoid the eyes next time, Nayeon."

She stuck her tongue out and blew a raspberry. She hopped out of the car following Jae Bum's lead. He lead the way to the address that was centred around all the occurrences - the one house that didn't seem to report any sort of mildly strange activity. 

Knocking on the door, the three waited patiently until a young girl opened the door. She looked so cute, a small pretty face complete with cheeks Nayeon wanted to pinch. Her eyes were unreadable, not one person of the trio could make out an emotion she could possibly be feeling. She held the door closer to her body, not allowing the hunters to look inside. The staredown lasted fifteen seconds before Jae Bum finally spoke.

"Hi, I'm Special Agent Kang Youngbae. These are my partners Special Agent Lee Jiyong," he gestured to Jinyoung, "and Special Agent Park Chaelin," he turned to Nayeon. The three took out their badges and showed them to the girl who answered. "Could we possibly speak to your parents?"

The girl shook her head. Her eyes widened and she paled. "No. I don't need anything." She tried shutting the door, but was stopped by Jae Bum. His arm rested on the door as he looked into her eyes. Before he could speak, she stamped her foot down on his as hard as she could. He yelped in pain as she ran off into the house. The other two followed her, chasing her through her home. Jinyoung felt the carpet beneath his feet get slipped out, meanwhile Nayeon did her best to dodge iron keys that floated around her. Jae Bum stubbed his toe on a table that he swore was a few centimetres to the left. 

Catching sight of her dark hair, Nayeon flicked the keys around her out of her face and chased the other girl. She turned the corners until she finally reached the room the other girl was in. She stood in the middle of the room, staring straight into Nayeon's eyes. With a flick of her wrist, Nayeon felt something pull her back and pin her to the wall. The boys ran into the room, but quickly found themselves pinned to the wall like their friend. The girl control them like puppets. Jinyoung tried screaming out to her, but found that his voice didn't work. He suddenly felt an invisible hand clamp around his mouth, another went around his throat and he began to choke. , Jae Bum thought. I didn't want a fight this time round. , did I think this would be easy. I was so goddamn wrong.

No matter how much the hunters tried to move, they were restricted by the immense power the girl possessed. She stood there, her arms stretched out holding the three of them in place. Jae Bum started to sweat with the amount of effort he emitted just so he could move his finger. He panted with the loss of willpower. Nayeon stayed in position, her blood ice cold in her veins. Jinyoung continued to scream nothing but silence. The girl in the middle watched them with cold eyes.

"I told you. I don't need anything."

"But -" Jae Bum started. Before the other two hunters could register any movement from the girl, Jae Bum was no longer there. In his place, a tiny little figurine dropped from the air onto the floor. It lay on the carpet, a little doll that resembled Jae Bum perfectly, mouth open in mid sentence just like a minute ago when he was there. It stared into the ceiling with beautifully painted eyes.

The girl breathed heavily. "What did I just say?" She shifted her eyes from Jinyoung to Nayeon and shook her head. "Do you honestly think I'm an idiot? That I don't know who you are?"

Jinyoung tried answering but nothing came out. Ignoring him, Nayeon spoke instead. "Look, we're not here to hurt you."

The girl snorted. "Yeah. Like I've never heard that one before. 'Oh, we're here to help you' or 'we won't hurt you, we just want to extract all your blood.' Yeah. You're not here to hurt me. Because I'm not giving you the chance." The force that held Nayeon to the wall tightened around her arms and legs. She felt the blood restriction numb her limbs. Jinyoung gagged as his throat was further constricted. 

Nayeon thought quickly. They needed this little brat, even if she tried to kill her. "Jinyoung, quick, try and get Mark." He didn't seem to hear her. He was losing consciousness as the oxygen failed to reach his brain. 

"You aren't going to take me anywhere. Hunters are all the same. Always protecting human beings. What about the rest of us? Ever think about who you are killing? Of course not. It's all about humanity." The girl threw her hand down and Nayeon slammed into the floor head first. A mind numbing pain enveloped her, and her brain felt like it was stabbed by a dull, rusted knife. She got up and put a hand to the gun she had in her back pocket. Her other hand rubbed the spot on her head that would definitely bruise. 

The girl yanked Nayeon by her hair and looked down in her eyes. Pure hatred reflected in the dark brown irises, instilling such an intense fear in Nayeon that she shivered. She repeated, "I don't need anything," before she pushed Nayeon's head toward the ground and walked off. Thankfully, she didn't hit it again. She struggled to her feet and walked to the doll-Jae Bum. She picked him up and placed him on top of the table. The girl had released her grip on Jinyoung, who was regaining consciousness from his ten-seconds of being passed out. She stared into the window of the room.

Nayeon figured the girl would expect the three to leave. She was sparing their lives in exchange for a favour - leaving her alone. But looking at the figurine of Jae Bum, Nayeon tried her luck. "Listen, we aren't here to recapture you or put you back in the cage. We're not even here to kill you."

The girl turned around, furious flames flickered in her eyes. "How many ing times do I need to say it? I don't need you. I don't need anything."

"You don't need us. I get that. But we need you."

The girl scoffed. "As if. What do hunters need with someone like me? Since when do hunters need anyone but themselves?"

"Since Herodias got out. Since we decided to peacefully coexist with those who don't cause any troubles. Since we became friends with the Nephilim and she lead us to you." 

The girl's expression didn't change. She stared a while longer at Nayeon before walking toward the exit. 

"Hey! SinB agreed to help us. The least you could do is the same!"

Nayeon slammed into the wall again. 

"I spared you your life! I gave you the chance to leave. I don't owe you anything." The girl cried out. She stood directly in front of Nayeon. She was close enough for Nayeon to make out every single detail of her face and feel her warm breath. And for once, Nayeon could see something that lurked beneath the anger that dominated her eyes.

She recalled a class from when she was a university student studying psychology, the lesson where she learnt that anger was a secondary emotion. In the case of this Cambion, she was angry because she was scared. Scared of getting killed or locked back again. Nayeon didn't know if the previous hunters of Seoul ever came across the hybrids each time they left the cage; she didn't even know if they met all of them. Judging from the girl's previous words, she had more than one encounter with hunters, and each time her life was in danger. 

"I'm not bothering anyone. Please, just leave me alone."

Nayeon felt bad for her. "We need your help. We have a plan on locking Herodias up."

"Yeah, that plan involves me being the lock again."

"No. No, we found another way. Trust me. Please, I don't want to fight you. I'm sure my friends don't want to. You have to help us." Nayeon pleaded. 

After an uncomfortable amount of silence, the girl shook her head. Nayeon sighed. 

"I'm sorry. I can't risk this freedom." The girl turned and walked out of the room. Nayeon and Jinyoung watched as she did. When she passed Jae Bum's figurine, she placed him on the floor and suddenly he was back to normal; standing up and mobile. 

"We just want help!" He yelled out, finishing his sentence from before. The girl ignored him and continued to walk out. "Woah, what happened?" He looked to his friends.

Jinyoung looked at Nayeon, who nodded. "Hey, Yeeun!" She yelled, remembering the name SinB gave beforehand. Yeeun turned around in surprise. She didn't recall telling them her name.

Nayeon pulled the trigger with a loud bang, followed by the thud.

 



 

Hii! I hope you enjoyed reading this chapter! It's RUOK day in Australia today, so in the spirit of things. are you okay? I hope all is well for you guys ^^ see you next week!!