Chapter 23

The Dark of a Light

Nichkhun rubbed the back of his neck as he looked through the notes he had made. It had been months since he and the others accidentally set Herodias free, and he was beating himself up over it since it happened. He groaned dropped his notebook onto the table. He was tired because he hadn't been sleeping well, because if he did she'd appear. Whether she was controlling his dreams or he was just dreaming of her, he didn't want to know and he couldn't take the chance. 

He also couldn't stand the fact that he couldn't find anything. All hunters of Seoul had promised to band together to try come up with something, but Nichkhun felt extra responsibility. Now that he was bound to her? It was as if the world was mocking him.

Taking a swig from a freshly opened bottle of soju, he winced and looked over his notes again. He'd been obsessed with finding a way to lock her up but the lore had nothing. Not to mention his feelings. As much as he was dedicated to the job and his friends, he couldn't help but feel guilty. Every time those feelings came about, he'd drink away his problems. The thought of being in love with ... No. The slightest idea that lead to that was enough to force him into a lifestyle of alcoholism. 

Nichkhun stood up again and stretched. He checked the calendar and saw that it had been a few days since his last shower. Maybe that was the reason he felt extra anxious lately. He decided to take a shower. It would definitely help him. 

On his way to the bathroom, the hairs at the back of his neck pricked up. He stopped and looked around. Grabbing the closest weapon - a vase - he lurked around the corridor, eyes wide open, every muscle and nerve awoken. After a few moments when the lights didn't flicker, he wondered if he was being paranoid. He waited a while longer before putting the vase down and making his way to the bathroom. There was nothing waiting for him his entire walk. Yeah, Nichkhun thought. Definitely just paranoid.

Once in the bathroom, he locked the door and shoved as many things as he couldn't behind the door. He checked any ventilation for salt and filled up where there were none. When he was done making sure the place was as safe as he could make it, he looked at himself in the mirror. 

"ing hell, I look like a demon!" He exclaimed. He hadn't shaved in a few days and the grey stubble around his mouth travelled to his neck. His eyes were wild and bloodshot, clear that he hadn't slept. His brown hair was dishevelled from running his fingers through it all the time. 

Before his shower started, he decided that the best thing was to shave and brush his teeth. Once he was done he felt ten times better than he did beforehand.

The heat of the shower stung a little bit, but it made his muscles more relaxed. The smell of the soap awakes his senses as he felt the invisible grime that had collected upon his skin from not going outside wash away into the drain. When he was done he felt refreshed. It had been a while since he felt this good. 

The feeling didn't last very long. When he returned to the room, he instantly felt something was wrong. Unable to dismiss the feeling as paranoia, he grabbed a salt gun and spun around, checking for any signs of an intruder. Nichkhun began breathing heavily, his chest tightened. When the lights began flickering and an ambiguous wind picked up, he got his gun ready. 

But then the lights returned to normal. The wind slowed and nothing had revealed itself. He didn't know what to feel. Was he hallucinating now? Jesus Christ, did he need to get some sleep. Nichkhun put the gun down. When he looked up again he swore. 

"Hello, Nichkhun," Herodias said innocently. She stood in front of Nichkhun looking the same as she had when he first saw her. She wore a beautiful white dress, with silver jewels, that flowed to the floor, making her appear slightly ghostly. Her black hair was curled and cascaded down her back. Her pale skin glowed slightly, and as she smiled, her eyes formed into crescents. She was beautiful, it was undeniably. 

"Herodias," Nichkhun gasped. 

Her smile widened. "I haven't seen you in a while, Khunnie."

He instantly stiffened and stood straighter and turned his back to her. "I've been busy."

"Yes but I'm supposed come to you." She stood behind him and ran her hands over his broad shoulders down his back feeling every toned muscle hidden under layers of clothing. Shivers ran down his spine. 

Nichkhun turned back around and looked down into her face. Their faces were inches apart. Her hands lay at his chest while his arms stayed frozen by his side. He continued to look in her eyes as she cupped his face, her fingers going over all his features, memorising them. His skin was so smooth under her own soft hands. She ran a thumb over his lips. 

Very harshly, he took her in his arms and kissed her furiously. Their lips fit perfectly together as if they the other's missing puzzle piece. He lifted her slightly and placed on the table, her legs wrapping around his waist and his strong arms holding her tightly to him. She wrapped her arms around his neck, hands running through his soft hair. 

Herodias deepened their kiss. His soft lips soothed the friction created. Meanwhile, Nichkhun ran his hands down her body, causing her to moan. 

As suddenly as he began their kiss, he ended it, pushing himself away from her and turning his back to her again. She panted and hopped off the table. 

"Get out. Get out, I don't even know how you got in!" Nichkhun yelled at her. 

She didn't know what to feel. Heartbroken? Betrayed? Embarrassed? All seemed applicable. He turned around to face her, eyes blazing with fury. 

"I swear to God, Herodias, get the out of my home or I will shoot you!" He screamed. 

She felt like she had been slapped in the face, a knife plunged into her heart and twisted. She stared at him. 

"You... Wouldn't do that. Not to me." 

"You desecrated a church!"

"It was the only way to get His attention!" 

Nichkhun stared at her is disbelief. "MWOH?! That makes no sense!"

"Yah, you have no idea how long I've been waiting to have my own audience with Him, okay?!" She screeched at him as if they hadn't been lusting for one another just moments ago. "Besides. If you kill me, you kill my host. I know you're not a murderer of humans, Nichkhun."

He blinked at her. Herodias could tell he was thinking it over. Okay, so shooting wouldn't actually kill her, but it would kill the girl. She knew Nichkhun would be able to live with killing world evils. But he'd be responsible for the poor girl's death. She was alive, of course. Even now, Herodias could hear her screaming inside her head, begging to be let go of. 

"I don't care. I will if I have to. You're dead, one way or another, ." 

Herodias smiled. "I'd like to see you try. Don't forget, we're bound together, you and I." She walked closer to him, and looked him straight in the eye. His eyes widened at the coldness that lived in hers. "Time for rebirth," she whispered, brushing her lips against his cheek. Before he could question her last statement, she was gone, leaving behind the rustling of papers. 

I need to brush my teeth again, Nichkhun thought to himself. 

 



 

Hello everyone^^

Just finished my last day of high school, omg I'm so sad! Like all my teachers this year were actually amazing, and tbh I don't like the idea of me having none or more responsibilities. But I'm happy bc high school. Anyway...

So I may or may not be on hiatus for a while, final exams are coming up and I need to study heaps... I should be making a come back after the 18th of November. I will give notice for when the break will start, but until then regular posting ^_^ I just wanted to let y'all know early.

Also I'm not sure if you've noticed but I do write my chapters in advance and post them weekly because that's when I edit them to my standard of okayness haha. But even with that, I may not have the time to edit them and I don't want to post a chapter I basically half assed.

Hope you have enjoyed reading so far!