Chapter 8

The Dark of a Light

White, grey and black where the main colours that dominated the police station room. There were tons of papers on nearly every surface, and all the police were buzzing about. All the workers were busy with various unexplained events (probably their fault due to freeing Herodias, but whatever), including the case the four of them were looking at. Finally, after a few more minutes, a frazzled looking woman stopped and went to greet the four strangers that arrived five minutes ago. 

"Sorry for the wait. It's been a bit hectic recently. So much weird going on. Anyway, how can I help you?" She smiled brightly. Two of the three men had almost identical suits, their ties even the same pattern; large diagonal stripes evenly spaced out, going in a negatively skewed linear direction. The only difference in their ties was the fact that the shorter one had red and pale blue, whereas the tall one had grey and white. The third man, the shortest of the three, was the only one with a plain navy tie. Accompanying them was a very young and short girl who looked out of place. She had the same cold look of the man with the red tie, but gave off an awkward aura, as if she was faking confidence to make it. She wore a blue and white striped shirt, and a black pencil skirt and blazer. Her hair, grey, was curled and tied back into a high ponytail. The police woman wondered what she was doing with this group of men. 

Red tie looked around and reached into his jacket pocket. The policewoman saw the other three men copy his movement. "We're actually here to look into the case on the man that burned to death in Apgujeong?" He pulled out a badge and handed it over to the woman. She scanned it, seeing that he was an agent from NIS. She looked at the other three's badges, taking in their names and committing them to memory. Red tie was Kang Youngbae, grey was Choi Daesung and the last was Dong Seunghyun. 

As she was looking at their badges, Jae Bum, who used the alias of Kang Youngbae, elbowed Geo in the ribs. She looked at him, sharply, and he subtly pointed to the badges in the police woman's hands and looked at the witch. Geo got the message and took out her own badge that Jackson (Dong Seunghyun) had made for her just over half an hour ago. When he handed it to her, she was in awe of his work. It looked legit, the picture they had of her even had a watermark of the NIS. They took the photo just before the four had gone their separate ways, Geo borrowing one of Bam Bam's dress shirts and blazers to take the photo. She hated the way she looked in it, her hair wasn't as professional and neat as she would have imagined an agent of NIS would be. Her face looked cold and bored due to having to do a neutral expression. Unfortunately, she had a resting face. Other than her photo, the rest of the badge was done brilliantly. The signature of her fake name was something she was proud of. Geo proceeded to hold it up to the police woman as she handed the three men their badges back. She heard Jae Bum tsk beside her, and gently took the badge out of her hands, turned it the other way and put it back in Geo's hands.

"Sorry. It's her first day out in the field," he apologised.

The policewoman smiled. "No problem. Do Eunkyung?"

Geo nodded. 

"Okay. Well, nice to meet you, agents. Kim Taeyeon," she introduced. "If you would follow me."

Taeyeon led the way to a room that held the information regarding the death of the man in Apgujeong. 

"No offence, but what's National Service getting involved for?" She asked them.

"Are you kidding? One of our own gets set on fire from the inside of his body. We need to protect our citizens and find out what's going on." Jae Bum replied her. 

Taeyeon lead the team to the filing room, where they kept the details about the autopsy performed on the deceased man several days ago. She took out the forms and handed it to Jae Bum. On it, he saw that the cause of death was labelled as 'unknown', therefore making it 'case closed' He almost snorted. This was where the police department ran out of wits. They just didn't think about the supernatural, thinking that all that side was hocus pocus bull. Evidence was dancing about in front of their faces for years, drawing as much attention to itself for years, and yet, they believed there was a more "logical" way. As if logic could come into play whenever strange things happen. As Sherlock Holmes once said, once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. Modern day detectives just didn't get that. How Jae Bum wished for Sherlock to be real.

Once he was done skimming through, he handed it to Jackson to see if he could make any sense from it. Surely he would. Jae Bum turned back to Taeyeon, who he hadn't realised was talking to Geo about fashion.

"-- pantsuits, which are just great if you ever feel you need to change out of the regular skirts that you have. Nice find by the way! But for winter, stockings aren't gonna help you. Anyway, for pantsuits, all you need are three pairs of pants, and three jackets, and really you're good to go! The shirts generally don't matter. White shirts all look the same, no one's gonna notice if you wear the same one over and over unless it has a stain."

"That is excellent! Thank you so much!"

"No problem, Eunkyung." 

When Taeyeon turned back to the three men, she explained the autopsy further. "As you can probably see, agents, just a freak accident."

"Any idea just how exactly the fire started within him?" Yugyeom asked her.

Taeyeon just shrugged and pouted slightly, shaking her head. Her eyebrows furrowed, as if she herself couldn't help but think that it was some form of magic. But the logical part of her brain kept telling her off. "Honestly, if you ask me, I've no clue. But, if you want, you can go ask the coroner. She still has the body."

"Was there any identification made?"

Again Taeyeon shook her head. "Not that I know of yet. You'd probably have to ask chief. Now, I'd make my way to the coroner if I were you. Not many people go the same way." 

Yugyeom nodded and looked to his team. "Alright. Kamsahabnida, Kim Taeyeon." He bowed to her.

"Not a problem at all, Choi." Taeyeon turned to the other three. "Kang, Dong, Do." She bowed and left the room, taking the autopsy records from Jackson.

The four looked to each other, wondering what to make of the case. Definitely, definitely, definitely not was this in any way related to the Antichrist. Surely not. Surely. Yet, the possibility still lay at hand. What else had this power? 

"Alrighty, then. So I guess we make our way out to the morgue." Yugyeom said. "Hey, an actual dead body for Jackson to examine!" 

"Damn. Sure wish Bams was here," Jackson pretended to gag. He was pleased to finally get some hands on experience. It had been months. 

With that pleasant note, the four exited the police station, waving their thanks and goodbyes to Taeyeon, and went their way to the morgue.

 



 

NIS = National Intelligence Service, btw. The Korean version of the FBI. I never knew how much research I would have to do for this story omg hahaha 

Dear god, that ended up WAY bigger than I expected HAHAHAHA

A little bit short of a chapter, sorry, but I had no idea how to incorporate the next scenes... Still, it's an update!! 

I'm thinking of maybe putting in something about their backgrounds, like their life before meeting each other and hunting for some... What do you think?? I feel like it'll add to their character development... Hmm...

Anyway, thank you for reading ^^