Chapter 22

The Dark of a Light

She was in a regal white dress with a silver jewelled halter neckline, her long black hair was curled and hung down her back. A silver pilgrim hair chain lay in her hair and it glinted in the sun. She was absolutely beautiful, with a flawless pale face with large dark brown eyes and blood red lips. She moved with such grace that it was hard not to think her a princess.

She stood in the middle of the forest, the tall trees casting down their shadows on her, the ochre leaves crunched beneath her feet as she moved toward the church on the other side of the trees. She glided to the large wooden doors and heaved them open. They brushed against the floor as she pushed them out of the way, making her way inside. There was no one inside, but the candles were lit, flickering their tiny lights. She moved in the aisle toward the front observing the stain glass windows. Their vibrant colours shone through with the sun, and she tilted her head at them. She stood there for a while looking at a scene that depicted a baby Jesus in the arms of Mother Mary, when a pastor came up to her. 

"Can I help you with anything, Miss?" He asked her politely.

She turned toward him. "Yes. I need to speak to God."

The pastor laughed gently. "This is his place of Welcome. He speaks to everyone. He lives in everyone. Right there," he pointed to her heart and then his right after.

The woman looked confused. "No. I need an actual meeting."

The pastor laughed again. "He is here. If you want to speak with Him, might I suggest a prayer?" He gestured to one of the benches. She sat down and looked to him. He smiled and gestured for her to continue. She looked at the rosewood that was used to build the benches and at the cushion line at the bottom covered in red leather. She kneeled and put her hands together. The pastor left to go to the altar.

Alone with her fingers interlocking one another, she felt stupid. She never really had to request a meeting with God, so she didn't know what she had to do to get His attention. It was strange, having to stoop down to a level that one of His creations, having to speak with thoughts. 

"Um... God. It's me. Herodias. Come back here, you coward, and fight me instead of having your little workers do it for you." She looked around the church. "Look at this!" She gasped. She stood up and walked around talking out loud. "You have all these people worshipping you! I've been gone two thousand years and this has happened?! Where's the mention of me? Besides that stupid Roman Princess story?" Herodias shook her head and stood in the centre of the church. 

"Miss? Is everything alright?" The pastor asked her. 

She glared at the ceiling. "You even have these... These people to talk to me for you! Where is your pride?!" She held her arms out and wind began blowing from all directions. "Fight me and end this like we were supposed to all those years ago! Face me, you coward, instead of having your precious winged soldiers do it for you!" The wind blew stronger, papers flying everywhere. The Bible fell onto the floor and flipped to a page bearing John 3:16-17:

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

She snorted. "What do you know about family and love? This... This story book doesn't even cover half of your true stories!" She yelled out. A rip began to tear down the middle of the page The pastor ran for it, trying to stop the defacing of the sacred book, but he was flung to the side. He gasped and point a shaky hand to Herodias.

"D-D-D... Devil's child!" He whispered, dark eyes wide open.

Herodias looked to him and smiled wickedly. She flicked her hand and the pastor's neck snapped, and instantly hung limp. He slumped to the floor and that was where he remained. Meanwhile, the stain glass windows began to change their images. One was of the beginning, with Herodias and God together. Another saw their battle, while the next showed the Angels rising to defend God. The windows changed to match these images, all featuring Herodias. She stopped at the one of God's son, Jesus, and stared at it. Instead of changing the picture entirely, she made only one modification. It was an open invitation for God to meet her. 

She continued to reak havoc over the church, killing the other patrons and ruining the portraits of the Saints and the Last Supper. The altar itself was ruined, smashed to rubble. Outside, the fountain changed from flowing water to blood, staining the cherub. When she was done, she lowered her arms and smirked to herself, looking at the chaos that just ensued. She looked at the place that was once a safe haven for God to protect people, now a place of damage and now a warning.

As she walked out, she caught her reflection. Not a bad choice of a person to host her. But, to be fair, Herodias did most of the work to make her look presentable. And the girl didn't seem to bother her. She glanced at the window depicting Jesus and Mary and smirked to herself again. "Let this be your first warning. Next time, I will not be so nice." She gestured around her, at all the damage that she caused, the lives she took. "Their blood is on your hands."

She went her way back into the forest, gliding with ease, not caring about the blood of the fallen that she stepped on. The stain glass window of God's son continued to weep streams of red, blood from an unknown, never ending source. 

 


 

Herodias arrived at the place where she first rose. It looked different from the last time she saw it. It was all shiny and new with buildings that displayed moving pictures. She did her best to surround herself with darkness, shrouding herself in magic. She conjured the black smoke that would act as her shield. To a mortal, it would look as it always had, but when they approached, they'd get confused and turn away. When she was done, she closed her eyes and focused on finding the man that she wanted to see the most. The man that freed her.

When his visual appeared in her mind, she gasped. She rummaged through her memories and remembered the day she was finally free. She still had no idea how it had occured; one minute she was fighting that damned daughter of Lucifer and the next... Light. It was horrible, being surrounded by the on going presence of her betrayer. She much preferred being in her cage with the hybrids. Sure, it was tiring having to fight and it pained her to be bound by such powerful magic, but it was the darkness that had comforted her the most. She was the Dark. 

But that day, everything that held her powers back let loose. Everything that had been constricted, all the power that she wanted to release for thousands of years, finally, finally! She could let go. She never felt so free. It was disorientating being in the new world, but for once, she didn't have to fight. And then she saw the man that made it happen. It was clear that it was him, seeing as he was the only thing visible to her in the complete darkness that enveloped the world in her return. And he could see her. 

He was beautiful. His face was adorable with pinchable cheeks and clear skin. His eyes were bright and full of warmth in their dark brown. His dark hair had bits of gold in it, and looked so soft, she wanted to run her hands through the locks. He looked at her like she was the most beautiful person in the world. Or, rather, the person hosting her. The girl who did so was a descendant of Herodias's, hence why she became her vessel. She didn't know where she was prior, but she appeared as soon as she got free. But the man that freed her... He didn't give the aura of danger like other hunters did. But he was one, there was no doubting. 

"Herodias?" He had asked her. His voice was music to her ears. 

She approached the man and held his face in her hands. "Nichkhun Horvejkul."

He gasped and looked her straight in the eyes. It was as if he didn't know whether he wanted to kiss her or be afraid of her. She made his mind up for him by leaning in and pressing her lips to his. He kissed her back, his soft lips melding together with hers perfectly. He placed his arms around her waist as she wrapped hers around him neck. Just like that, the two of them were bound together.

Herodias pulled herself out of the memory before she could remember any more that had happened. It made her flush. The vision that she had of Nichkhun stayed in her mind. He didn't appear to be doing much, just more research. He seemed to be doing that a lot lately. It had been a while since she paid him a visit. Maybe she'd see him tomorrow.

She spent the rest of the night stalking the hunter, watching him as he did his usual thing. Every once in a while, he would stop and look up directly at Herodias, but then he wouldn't see anything and went back to whatever he was doing. Another thing he did occassionally was mutter Herodias's name, which brought such a delight to her. She hadn't felt that way since... Well, it was nice that someone could appreciate the dark with her. Especially if it was someone who was supposed to be God's warrior. It made her giddy.

When morning came, she made her way to visit the hunter, anticipating the feeling of being whole once again.

 



 

The first ever appearance of Herodias! It never actually occurred to me until I was writing out SinB, Bam Bam and Yugyeom's second adventure chapter that I never actually specified how my big bad was big and bad. Can you guess who I made her be her vessel? XP So, after each of their adventures had two chapters, I decided to write out her first journey - and first offence. Next chapter will also focus on her, so hopefully that's enough compensation. Sorry!!

I hope that you have enjoyed reading my story so far. It's nice to know that there are people who appreciate my creative writing skills. There are so few that do. I am forever grateful. 

Suddenly shy and so very thankful for you to take the time to read. Thank you!!