Chapter 27

The Dark of a Light

Kris stared in horror at the broken form of Krystal on the floor. Mark didn't even glance at her a second time as he stepped over her body. He closed his eyes and rolled his neck, stretching his muscles. When he opened his eyes again, he grinned manically at Kris. 

"Christopher," He began and the dread settled deep in Kris's stomach. The voice that came out, though with hints of Mark the human and the Angel, was a voice that would have struck a nerve in Kris's heart if he was living. The panic rose in his chest and suddenly the world was pulled from under his feet. He knew the voice that came from the body of Mark Tuan, the glint in his eyes. 

Lucifer started toward Kris, who was glued to the floor. Once he stood in front of the King, he bent down and inhaled at his neck. A sliver of fear ran down Kris's spine. He felt Lucifer chuckle beside his neck, his hot breath sticky from humidity. 

"Fear," Lucifer spat. "Such a... Human emotion, don't you think? I thought you were the King of Hell, the highest ranking demon." His grin was cold and mocking. "Oh, dear Christopher. Still addicted to the human blood, I see?"

"What the hell do you want? Where's Mark?"

Lucifer tilted Mark's head. "You're telling me that you care more for an Angel than me? The original King?"

"You're ing kidding me. He said yes to you? Where's Jackson?"

Mark's eyebrows shot upward. "So the rumours are true. Kris the King and the Hunters partners in crime. Gotta say, they're really letting their standards stop." 

Mark ran to the throne and slumped into the comfortable seat. He put his knees to his chin and smiled to Kris. Mark up again and paced his way to Krystal, lifting her face to look at him. "Such a sweet girl. You know, killing her without her ever knowing or getting the chance to tell everyone I'm Lucifer, it's so... Liberating," he laughed. When he looked to Kris the amusement left his face and moulded into something harsh and condescending. He was starting to look more like Lucifer wearing a grotesque mask of Mark. 

"Fine. You want to talk. So boring, you royals."

"You're one," Kris pointed out to Lucifer. "You were the first."

"Yeah but I was fun. So," he clicked his fingers and Kris was forced to sit at the feet of Lucifer, his legs crossed like a child to a teacher. "You wanted to chat?" He smiled again and tapped his foot. 

At first nothing happened, but slowly a tightening sensation appeared around his wrists and neck, an invisible bond slicing into his skin threatening to spill blood. Though initially invisible, the chains appeared within a few minutes, silver chains that lead from his neck to Lucifer's hand. They became solid soon enough, the cool steel chilling his skin. 

"Let's chat," Lucifer chuckled with dead eyes and an echoing, cold laugh. 

 


 

Taecyeon gingerly carried the baby into his grandmother's house. She was the best person to turn to in cases of caring children. She had, after all, raised him. The baby hadn't cried the entire way, just staring uncomfortably at Taecyeon. 

"Halmeoni!" He called out. 

His grandmother rushed out as quickly as she could upon hearing her grandson's voice. She was a sweet woman who made the best kkori gomtang in all of Korea. Her hands were soft as she caressed Taecyeon's face, her smile as radiant as sunshine. Taecyeon loved his halmeoni like he was supposed to love his mother. 

"My OkCat!" She hugged him. She beamed at the baby in his arms and slapped his arm. "You have a wife and I don't know?!"

He pretended to be hurt by her hits, trying to shield the baby away from her. "No, this isn't my baby. I found her... She... Halmeoni, I need help to care for her. Just for a few days! Her parents died and I don't know if the department is open just yet. Her name is Tiffany."

She reached for the baby during his speech and cradled the baby. She carefully examined the child in her arms, cooing to make her smile. The baby continued to stare blankly at Taecyeon's grandmother. 

"She doesn't have a diaper," she noted. 

Taecyeon rubbed the back of his neck. "Yeah, she was a newborn when I found her."

His grandmother rocked the baby in her arms and turned to go to a spare room. "Lucky for you, you have baby nieces," she said, smiling down at the baby. Taecyeon followed her into the spare room, his old room. It looked the exact same as it did when he left to live alone. His halmeoni set the baby down onto the bed and unwrapped her from her blanket. She didn't squirm and kept her glaring gaze over the two adults hovering over her. 

"Be a dear will you, and fetch me the diapers and the wet wipes. Thank you, Taecyeon."

Taecyeon saluted his grandmother and went down the hall, leaving her alone with the baby. She continued to coo at the child, who remained stoic and observant of her new caretaker. Something at the back of Taecyeon's halmeoni's mind tingled with fear, that this child was not as innocent as it seemed to be. She shrugged the suspicion away; there was no way that this child could be capable of anything dangerous. And if it was, it would be far down the line of it growing up. She would take care of it well enough that it would not grow to be the thing that it posed to be; she would make sure it would be as perfect as her grandchildren. 

Halmeoni took out a spare onesie for the baby to wear, taking it out of the blanket that was wrapped carelessly around her. A mark on its shoulder distracted her and she halted her activities to examine it. It was obviously a birthmark, there was nothing else that it could be, but it was too clean and clear of a picture to be dismissed. On the baby's shoulder was a red mark in the shape of hands holding up a platter that held something that looked like a decapitated head. It was small, but it was large enough to be noticed if the child ever wore something sleeveless. It was too strange, too perfect of a drawing to be just a birthmark. It nagged at halmeoni's thoughts, and she wasn't able to convince herself that it wasn't something to be ignored. 

She checked outside the room as Taecyeon walked into the hallway. "Oh! You're here," she laughed nervously and took the wet wipes from his hands. Thinking quickly to get back to the child alone, without Taecyeon thinking her crazy, she blurted out, "These have fragrance, dear. I need the ones without fragrance. And alcohol." She smiled sweetly at him. 

He looked at her sceptically. "These were the only ones in the room."

"Well... The store is only five minutes away."

"Is everything all right?"

"Yes, dear. Halmeoni just needs to make sure the baby is cared for as much as she can for the time being," she smiled up at her grandson. 

He looked at her with more love than when he looked at his own parents. "Of course, halmeoni. Saranghae," he kissed her cheek and left the house to get the wet wipes.

When he was just turning out of the driveway, his halmeoni dashed to the room that the baby stayed. She stared at the old woman as she looked at the baby in horror. "What are you?" She whispered.

The baby didn't reply, as expected, but an evil glint seemed to shine in her eyes. Halmeoni shook her head, she must have been imagining things. But still... That mark... She knew that mark...

Carefully moving out of the room without taking her eyes of the baby until she herself was out of sight, halmeoni walked down the hallway and stopped in front of her bookshelf. On it was tons of family photos, her granddaughters as they smiled happily with their brother. The school photos of each grandchild, their graduations, family portraits. Her own children were nowhere to be seen, aside from stray baby photos she could not bear to part with. The photo in the centre was a wedding photograph, her and her husband, young and so in love. Something in her heart broke as she moved the photo to the right, uncovering a steel box engraved with symbols she had long forgotten. At the lock were the initials MoG. Men of Glass. Underneath were the words: Seoul Division, Serve Heaven, Save Hell.

She took a deep breath. She had hoped when she finally married her husband that she had left her past behind, that she would never have to return and her children would not follow the path she did. It had worked, neither her husband or children ever found out, and she lead a normal life. But the life can never let you go. She thought of Taecyeon, the only legacy left of the Men. How she wished he would never have to go through with what she did. 

The door had been cleverly disguised as a simple craft workroom, boring enough that no one had ever wanted to go inside. She had said that that was were she did her paintings, that her knitting was done in there, and thankfully no one had requested to watch her produce art. Of course, she herself never went inside, and so it must have appeared that even she didn't know what else to do with the room. Nevertheless, the room held her secret for almost 60 years. 

Even after so many years, the room still smelled the same as it did when it was last utilised. It smelled of leather and old books with a hint of pipe tabacco, the smell her brother always smelled like when he came home from one of his meetings. It was dark from there being no windows, even though heavy curtains draped the walls. Halmeoni walked as quickly as she could to one of the desks that had a phonebook on it. She had hoped that the phonebook still contained the number of their location, if they were still alive. She flipped through the thin black phonebook until she came across their number under the name MoA Seoul Div. 

She laughed. There was a time when the MoG were a larger organisation than it was now. Actually, now that she thought about it, there probably wasn't even an organisation. Once upon a time, the Men were responsible for finding creatures of the Underworld and once found, they called upon the Men of Swords, Hunters, to get rid of them. Despite being on the same side and the Swords always helping the Glass doing their dirty work, the Swords were known to the Glass as 'Apes', which is what their acronym stood for: Men of Apes Seoul Division. 

Every instinct told her that she was being an idiot, but she had to at least try. There was pure evil right there in her house, brought to her by her naive grandson. It was also wearing the onesie of one of her own grandchildren, eating away at all its goodness. She thought it was a myth, but seeing it herself... That mark didn't lie. It was too coincidental to be a simple birthmark. She knew that they were ought to know.

On the third ring the phone picked up and a gruff male voice answered her: "Once again, I am not a stupid bar! No one goes by that name here!"

Halmeoni was taken aback by his rudeness. "Excuse me, sir?"

There was shuffling at the other end of the phone. "Sorry, ma'am. Thought you were a prank caller."

"Is this the Men of Swords?" She asked politely.

The man who spoke to her paused, as if not knowing what to reply to her. "Glass."

"Yes."

"I thought they were men? And also, no offence, extinct."

"Well, I see you are not extinct."

"We all became Swords, ahjumma. Glass swords, if you would, seeing as we do both now."

She was growing impatient. "Yes, well, I have some information that would surely please you."

"Oh?" She could almost here the man's eyebrows shoot up.

"Herodias. Her symbol, hands holding up a plate with a decapitated head, correct?"

"Yes, ma'am, that is correct. Is she there with you, ma'am?"

A sudden calmness settled in her stomach. At least she knew what the baby was. On the other hand... She heard a car's engine stop in front of her house. Her heartbeat quickened. She had to get out of the room before he ever found her in it, and worse, found out her secret past.

"08250505121916. Trace me." She said, before leaving to greet her grandson. 

Meanwhile in an abandoned warehouse, Ilhoon put down the phone and wrote down the numbers the old woman rattled off. 

 



 

Don't worry I'll make everything clearer soon! 

Okay, so when I first started drafting this story out, I literally thought I'd be done in like 30 or so chapters. Turns out, this will be a long one! Sorry if your heart just broke in half, but I am also not sorry. It's actually been quite a fun time writing this out.

 

I hope you guys have had an awesome week and that nothing has disappointed you. I hope that positivity and happiness continues for you forever! If not, here is a cutie pie to wink at you!

Until next time, guys ^^