Chapter 7

The Dark of a Light

"HAH! THERE YOU GO! I FOUND OUR BOY." Krystal yelled.

The other hunters surrounded her and her laptop. She was a genius with technology. She'd been looking on all forms of SNS for only two hours and she already found the Cambion. Jackson lingered behind her, with his iPad, jealous. He hated that laptop of Krystal's. And he wanted it.

Krystal pulled up the FaceBook page of a boy with the name Jeon Jungkook. The profile picture was a selfie of a young boy. He had black hair, fringe swaying to the left. His cheeks were similar to Youngjae's in that they were just adorable. You couldn't deny it, this was one handsome little devil. Looking at his photo, the hunters were set with the question: Were all the hybrids attractive?

"Awww! He's just a kid!" Nayeon exclaimed. 

Jackson scoffed. "Hardly. He's 20."

"Outside Korea, he's 19."

"Younger than you none the less, Nayeon."

Nayeon rolled her eyes at the older boy. He never let her say anything.

Junho leaned down and skimmed the article next to Jungkook's profile that Krystal accidentally left on the screen. It detailed what was labelled as a freak accident by the police. He read aloud:

"Man Burned to Death Without Signs of Fire
Last Monday, 27th June 2016, police were alerted of a man screaming in fear in his home in Apgujeong. When they arrived, they found the man was charred, burned so badly they could not make his facial features out. However, there were no signs of a fire being started, nor any signs of heat sources being started. There were no faulty wires present. However, the autopsy carried showed that the man had certainly been burned alive, leading to his untimely death. Police have ruled out foul play as a cause, due to there being insufficient evidence of the man being physically set on fire. His death has been ruled by an accident. He has yet to be identified."

Gikwang chucked to himself. He couldn't believe that the police were this blind whenever these events happened. Even the ones they had hunted with before, who knew the true horrors of what lurked in the night. "Sound like a case you should be doing to find the thing or what?" He asked.

The others looked to him, unsure what to reply. Though they were positive that they had found the Antichrist, Krystal had the skill of finding a needle in a haystack with just her laptop with her, they weren't sure if this article tied in with their search. The number one priority to every single hunter in Seoul was to find a way to lock Herodias back in her cage, and this was the only known way any of them had found. Although an interesting case, they shouldn't waste time. Krystal would definitely find out where Jungkook was so they could get him to join the team. 

Gikwang sighed, as he felt the others' insecurity. "Look, Jinyoung and Mark aren't even back from their search for the Nephilim. JB, smart as you are, your plan wasn't thought through enough. Jackson and Bam Bam are your best shot at finding any of these creatures -"

"Hey!" Krystal interrupted.

"And you said yourself Geo wasn't allowed to hunt." Gikwang carried on as if Krystal never spoke. "Well, the Cambion is found, but if the Winchesters couldn't hold on to them, what makes you think we can? You need to find leads to all two hybrids, and no offence, but those three can't exactly handle the phsyical stuff on their own. Jackson's been on what, four hunts so far? Bam Bam on two? It's not enough. You need to wait for Mark and Jinyoung to come back, and then you can go find the Antichrist together so you can succeed."

JB rubbed the back of his neck. He agreed his original plan needed working on, but he had faith in Jackson and Bam Bam being able to hold down the Cambion. "So, what are you suggesting we do instead?"

Before Gikwang to reply, Geo spoke up. "How about as we wait for Jinyoung and Mark to come back you, Gikwang and Junho could check this case out, and the rest of us find the location of the Antichrist? When the seven of you are reunited, you can find Jungkook and get him to join while the rest of us find leads on the Nephaelem?"

Junho smiled at the witch, then winced. He wasn't used to nice witches. JB paused, thinking the idea through. It would be helpful, definitely, hitting two birds with one stone. The case sounded like something the hunters should be working on. And if they split this group up, they could work on both tasks. With Krystal, they'd find the Cambion no problem. Plus, Mark was charming. He'd be able to get the Nephilim in no time. They'd just have to wait.

"Look, JB, it's not even your operation to handle. We all need to shut Herodias back in her cage. But we're gonna go crazy just working on one thing. Let's just go with Geo's idea," Nayeon said gently.

JB looked at her. He furrowed his brows. "I was about to agree. Jeez, you're so impatient."

Nayeon slapped his arm lightly. The others laughed.

"Okay, okay. But, Junho hyung and Gikwang hyung need to stay here with Krystal and Nayeon. They're the best quartet when it comes to tracking. Bam Bam, you sleep. You've done more than enough; you found the freaking Cambion's name. You need this sleep. Besides, you're better for the lore than fighting. Jackson, you come with me. You need more experience. Youngjae, Yugyeom, you guys wanna come with me or what?" JB informed the group.

"I wanna sleep, hyung." Youngjae yawned.

"I'm coming." Yugyeom excitedly bounced on his feet. Krystal laughed at his enthusiasm. The boy just loved hunting with the leader.

JB nodded at the young hunter. "Okay. Good. Geo, you're coming with. You just shadow us. We may need you."

Geo looked at him confused. "But... Jinyoung-"

"Is not the leader, and I say you're coming with me to get experience. Who knows, maybe you'll be needed."

With that last note, Geo nodded, excitement levels rising. "Thank you so much Jae Bum."

He dismissed her gratefulness with a wave and a smile. "It's alright. So, everyone knows it right? Krystal, Nayeon, Junho and Gikwang are staying to track, Bam Bam and Youngjae are sleeping, and Jackson, Brownie and Geo are coming with me to hunt. Okay? Okay."

"Did he just answer his own question?" Nayeon quietly asked Youngjae.

"Who knows," he said back.

The nine of them nodded in perfect unison at the orders JB handed out. Youngjae retreated to his room while Bam Bam retired on the couch. The four trackers sat around Krystal's laptop as she tracked down Jungkook. JB knew that they'd find him in no time and then they too could have some rest. He turned to look at his team of hunters and the nicest witch he knew. He judged Geo and her clothes. 

"Do you by any chance have any pant suits lying around?" Her raised eyebrow told him the answer. "Okay. So before that, you're gonna need a new wardrobe. And pretty quick." JB turned to look at Yugyeom and Jackson. "You two, go get changed," he said as he handed them the keys to a car. "Meet us at this guy's home." The other two hunters nodded at his command and went to quickly change. Jae Bum turned back to Geo. "Come with me. You're gonna get a new wardrobe." 

Geo stared after Jae Bum as he walked passed her and toward the door. He turned around when he realised she wasn't following him. "Come on! We haven't got all day! Also, Krystal, send me-"

"Apgujeong neighbourhood!"

"Thanks! Geo, let's go!"

Geo looked back at the four hunters staying behind to track down the Cambion. As much as she wanted to stay, she was scared to disobey Jae Bum. He may not have looked as scary as she thought, but she couldn't shake the years of fear she had grown to feel for him. She quickly hurried after him, yelling a quick goodbye as she closed the door behind her.

 


 

Jae Bum sat in the arm chair outside the dressing room waiting for Geo to come out. The store was empty besides the two of them and the owner, who kept trying to make conversation with Jae Bum as he waited. He'd given up trying to talk to him as the hunter maintained his cool expression, and was on his phone. They had chosen a total of five outfits; three for 'work' and two more just because. Jae Bum had been waiting for almost ten minutes. Dear God, was he bored as hell.

Aish! What is taking that girl so long?! 

Another three minutes passed, and just as he was about to yell at Geo to hurry up, she came out in a baby blue playsuit made of chiffon fabric. Jae Bum cursed himself. Why did I let her choose the clothes?! The others were so much easier! This is like Chorong all over again, I swear to God. 

Seeing his expression, she quickly put her hands up in defence, the way a sister would to an older brother scolding her. "Fun?" She said weakly, and smiled awkwardly, trying to coax a smile out of him. He looked at Geo, his face unamaused. She took note and without more words passing between the two of them, retreated back for the suits he so desperately needed her to be in for their 'job'. 

The next outfit took less time. After five minutes, Geo came out with a Jae Bum approved outfit choice. She wore a blue button down shirt with thin white stripes and a white collar, with a black pencil skirt and blazer, complete with a pair of sensible black pumps. He nodded his approval, to which she smiled and started to walk back to the changing room before Jae Bum stopped her.

"We're running out of time and this is good enough. Just tie your hair up and we'll be on our way. Jackson just texted me that he finished making your badge."

Geo nodded and quickly went to retrieve the other clothes that she left behind, rushing to change into her regular clothes and met Jae Bum at the counter. Once the new clothes were paid for, Jae Bum drove to the police station to meet the other two hunters. The case should give Geo the experience that she needed. He knew that Jinyoung made her promise to stay behind on all hunts, but Jae Bum knew that they'd need her power for the final fight. He just hoped that when the time comes, Jinyoung would be able to make peace with her, even though she was a witch.

Nevertheless, it was going to be a long, long fight between good and evil. Hopefully, it would be Jae Bum's last.

 



 

Golly golly gosh it is so cold in Australia rn

I have no idea if this chapter makes sense AHHAHA. I like wrote it all in my phone and at some point, every time I press a key, the page does something weird lmao 

Thank you for reading ^^