Chapter 20

The Dark of a Light

It didn't take long for the coven to track down the other Cambion. They got all their utensils ready, which were really just a map of Korea and a few drops of blood in a small metal bowl that they would later enchant. When Youngjae got the text from JB to find Jeon Jungkook, the witches set to work. Youngjae stood back to look at them, observing them do something that was stereotypical of their kind in a very non-stereotypical setting. The workplace that they had entered was beautiful. A chalk board hung above the desk and the only thing written on it was "GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS THEY LOVE ME".

The main colour scheme of the office was white and light grey with a splash of green and grean-blues. In the corner of the desk where it met the wall were seven decorative light green books that were really just booksafes. Two vertical books stood in the middle of a pile of two and three that lay horizontally. On top of the pile of two was an aloe plant in a white ceramic pot. On the pile of three were pencils in a smaller version of the plant pot. Above that were cacti that hung like scales from the ceiling. Each held three in their little holders so that it remained balanced. That or it was just charmed. 

The desk itself was a light grey blue colour with a dark blue top. It was inbuilt into the wall and there was a bench that extended from one end of the desk that was the same light grey blue. Along it and the desk there were drawers with silver handles. Two pillows were along the bench. There was only one chair in the room that sat at the desk, which was wooden with black bars on the back, and it was occupied by Amber. On another wall was a framed quote in calligraphy writing: 

Home |hom| ~

A dwelling place together with family:
an environment offering security & 
happiness

A leaf stemmed from the end of the '&' symbol, making it more appealing on the eye. Youngjae simultaneously felt comfortable and on edge. He looked at the witches chanting the blood in the bowl, swirling the dark, thick liquid around. It seemed to bubble a little bit. He could have sworn he heard a boy's laugh. As he stood idly by watching them do their magic, he began to wonder what it was like to grow up in a house like this. The house had the most welcoming aura to it. It was what he always imagined home to feel like. It was strange that creatures like witches lived here. A beautifully decorated space with amazing people. 

Before meeting the other five guys, he had a pretty hard life. His parents were constantly fighting, his siblings never there to support him. His brother mixed in with a bad crowd and OD'd one day. His sister ran away at the age of sixteen with her boyfriend that was eleven years older than her. The only warm memories he had were with his cousins before he witnessed their death during the Apocalypse. When his father was arrested for the upteenth time for an armed robbery, his mother began dating a string of addicts who abused her. Youngjae grew up fighting with those around him. He grew up always getting into fights. He was always the small kid which he soon figured out how to use to his advantage. He fought harder and when he couldn't stand the cries that his mother would let out when her boyfriends would hit her, he stood up for her. Unfortunately, the man always had more power and he'd get thrown on the street. The last time it happened, he stayed in a house that was abandoned because none of his family would take him in. That was when he met the other five. 

Watching these witches, he felt a sense of family. Something he never got to experience. He missed his fiercely, but it had been too long since he was kicked out. His brother died and he didn't know where his sister was. The three of them got away from their neglectful parents, that was certain. Whether they all had better fates, Youngjae didn't know. 

He watched as N poured the blood onto the map in a thin line. It quivered and slowly made its way along the map. Yougnjae had witnessed magic before, but it never failed to amaze him. How spilled blood could just run itself to a place where a person was. And it wasn't even the subject's blood, or contain any form of DNA. He was mesmerised by the visuals he was watching.

"You're not as bad as the other hunters," a small voice said from his shoulder. Youngjae looked down to see Doyeon's face looking up at him. She was incredibly pretty now that he saw her up close. Her hair was long and black, making her look even paler than she already was. She resembled a young girl, perhaps because she was one. But her eyes gave her away. They held thousands of years of secrets, as if she witnessed everything from the beginning of the Joseon period to now. They were happy but there was a sadness behind them, as if she was tired of living. In a way, she reminded him of his sister.

Youngjae smiled at her and looked back at the others. "Thanks. You guys are too nice for witches. It's kind of creepy." He laughed. When he looked back at her, he saw that she didn't share his amusement. "Sorry. Bad joke."

The two turned their gaze back to the others as they were tracking Jungkook. He didn't know that it would take this long.

"Thanks for taking care of Soojung for us. She had us really worried," Doyeon said. She looked up at Youngjae with large eyes. He smiled softly at her. "She was acting really strange before. Just after she came back from England, really. Anyway... Thank you for not killing her after knowing she was a witch."

"It's not a problem. I mean, I'm the only one who can kind of tolerate her. You know our relationship... Not so good. But she's a good kid. Really good company."

"Yeah. I know she's a good person. She's my dongsaeng, though she's older than me... If that makes any sense."

"No, it does not."

Doyeon laughed. "I was sixteen when I turned into a witch. That was over 650 years ago. But I still maintained being sixteen. Soojung was nineteen and became a witch 300 years ago. So... she's my little sister but I'm hers too. Sorry, it's complicated, I know. But, in any case, she's my sister and I care about her."

Youngjae smiled to himself. He understood the feeling of being protective over a sister, as if she was a baby sister, even though she was older. That's how he felt toward his sister for a while. 

The witches suddenly roared in success. Doyeon ran to join them, as they hugged one another. Geo caught Youngjae's eyes and waved him over. She smiled so widely as he came closer. She pulled him into a big hug and excited jumped up and down. She held him out at arms length and said, "we did it! We found him!" She beamed.

Youngjae matched her large smile and shook hands with everyone that helped. He bowed his thanks to them, and they dragged him into hugs of their own. 

"Youngjae. Youngjae, we're gonna win this war," Geo said. There was so much hope in her eyes, that Youngjae grinned even wider. When the celebrations ended, she took his hand and waved goodbye to her family.

"I promise I'll be back this time. I love you!" 

"Get presents!" Minho yelled. 

"And pics!" Amber followed.

Geo and Youngjae laughed as they left, walking to their car as her five family members came out of the house and waved them off. Youngjae almost forgot that they were witches and he was a hunter. It felt like he finally had an experience at a normal life. He smiled brightly at the thought. Maybe one day, he could have what they had.

 



 

Hello, readers! Again, the house description is at this link: https://magnoliamarket.com/our-show/episode-17-carriage-house/

Every time I watch these shows I think about all the things I could do to my own home to make it prettier. I wish I lived in America so that I could have those guys renovate my house. It is so pretty!

Thank you for reading this, even though the end was kind of awkward.

Cutiee... I hope you enjoyed!! ^^