Chapter 28

The Dark of a Light

It had started off with a mild headache which she hoped would go away after a while. But as time went on, the ache had spread into a migraine and Geo could feel the pain spread to the back of her eyes. Every so often stars would dance in front of her vision, making Youngjae appear glittery. When he suggested they stop for food, she thought that it was due to hunger. But even as her stomach was getting fuller, the headache wasn't going away. A whisper wandered into her head, too faint for her to make out what it was that it was trying to tell her, so she just supressed it down. When Youngjae left to make a call, her heart sped up from fear of being left alone. What if something happened that she couldn't explain? He was gone for three minutes before he came back to her, and she almost cried with relief. 

"Alrighty, then. I just got off the phone with Jaebum hyung and he said that he's waiting for us to get Jungkook," Youngjae said as he sat down opposite her. She nodded and swallowed the last of her food, gathering the rest of her stuff before standing up and following him out the diner. 

With every word he said, her heartbeat grew louder and more painful. "Cool. So, we have his coordinates," she handed him the details to where Jungkook was, "and you are a pretty good driver! How fast do you think we'll get there?" She tried to ignore the drumming that struck her each time her heart beat.

"Actually, it's not too far away. We can probably make it in like half and hour," he smiled at her.

She tried her best to beam at him. In the time that they had spent together, Youngjae was no longer scared of her. She was starting to be less like a witch and more like a person, a friend. If they were just regular human beings, Youngjae could even see himself being her older brother. Or even her best friend. 

"Come, let's go find Kookie!" She said, she ran to his car, her vision slightly going out of focus. When it felt like her legs couldn't continue, she propelled herself forward into the seat, hoping that Youngjae thought that she couldn't wait to see the Cambion and get her job over and done with. Youngjae tried not to take it personally, like once this was done, they would no longer have to spend their time with solely his company. He was really warming up to her. 

"Kookie?" He asked her once he was in the car as well.

"Yeah, sure, why not?" She asked. Idiot! she scolded herself. You don't know him!

Luckily, Youngjae smiled largely at her. "Let's not call him that when we see him. At least not unless he tells us otherwise," he laughed.

Geo tried her best to laugh at his joke, but it ended up sounding like a strangled cry. The pounding in her head started getting louder, the pain reaching the back of her eyes. She hoped Youngjae wouldn't be able to tell what was happening. When she looked to him, she saw that he was looking at her with eyebrows drawn together, concerned for her. Ignoring the screams in her head, she managed a small polite laugh at him.

"You're not so bad. For a witch, that is," he told her. His voice sounded muffled to Geo. The headache was threatening to make her pass out, or worse, lose control. She gritted her teeth and refocused on Youngjae's gentle voice. "- and you know, you guys haven't tried to kill me. You were actually quite nice. All of you. It's strange-"

A girl's high pitched scream cut through his words like a sword and Geo couldn't tell if it was her or the voice in her head. She felt herseslf slip from reality, losing her grip on life and tumbling straight down into a familiar darkness. She felt like she was crumbling, piece by piece, the particles that made her slowly scattering into the wind. She tried to steady herself, the headache passing slowly. Geo grabbed onto a wooden bar to stand up straighter and tried to look to Youngjae at her left. But instead, what she saw was an empty studio and she was sitting on a fairly comfortable couch. It was a weird setting, a ballet studio, she assumed, but it looked like it had been revamped to be a house's common area. She looked straight ahead at the TV and fumbled for the remote. Turning it on, she was startled to see Youngjae carrying on their conversation, as if he didn't notice her episode.

"- I really do think that. I know they seem a little... ehhh at the moment, but you know. If they spend more time with you, they'll really like you." He turned to look at her and smiled a friendly smile.

Soojung felt her face morph into one of confusion. hurt like crazy and she felt the sting of tears threatening to fall. Every muscle in her body hurt as if she was pulled apart to mimick an elastic band but, not being one, she wasn't able to do the job. "Wh... Who are you?" a girl's voice croaked.

Geovanna jumped in her seat. Immediately recollecting herself, she realise where she was. Panic rose within her as Youngjae looked into the camera lens and nervously told her, "Uhh... Nice one." 

Soojung's eyes widened and she screamed, desperate to be heard. She fought harder to gain control, exiting through multiple doors that would eventually lead to her. Her stomach crawled up to as she heard her other self and Youngjae converse.

"Take me home. Now."

"Geo, we were just -" 

"What?! My name is Soojung! Listen, hunter, I don't know what game you're playing but-"

Geo slammed into control and almost vomited in the car. Thankfully, she didn't. Unfortunately, she slammed her head back into the car, narrowly missing the window. "!"

Youngjae looked at her bewildered. He seemed afraid of her. "G... Soojung?"

She looked into his eyes. "Sorry... Just... Uh..."

Youngjae reached to his holster. Her heart sank into her shoes. 

"I don't know what just happened. I don't know who you are. But after we get Jungkook, you are going to get tortured like no one has ever been tortured. Understood?" He asked coldly.

Geo could only nod. They spent the rest of the car ride in silence.

 


 

"So, let me get this straight. An Angel managed to get to you without my knowledge?" Kris asked Mark/Lucifer.

He rolled his eyes. "Yes. Do you know how many times you've asked that now? Like a billion! You're as bad as Jesus during his teen years!"

"You weren't even there!"

"I'm his brother! I know everything that boy did! He had his teen rebellion years with me," Lucifer said.

Kris rubbed his face. They had spent the last half and hour discussing what had exactly happened in the cage. Apparently, Mark had somehow managed to get into the deepest, darkest part of Hell without detection and speak to Lucifer. When he heard Kris, Jackson and Krystal come, he hid, but decided to come out when the true danger revealed itself: Lucifer asking Jackson to be his vessel again. Mark said yes and now Lucifer was wearing his body like a costume. Lucifer refused to give any more details, mainly because the new King decided it was more important to talk about Mark sneaking in. 

"Okay... Look... What do you plan on doing with the girl?" Kris gestured to Krystal. The two stared at her. Lucifer shrugged.

"To be completely honest, I thought she'd come through again and freak out when she realised she was dead."

Kris was done. He stood up and paced the area wondering what he could say to Lucifer. His return (again) was surely going to result in another Apocalypse, and worse... He'd compete for the throne. Kris could only take so much in one day. He knew that if word ever got out that Lucifer was free and possessing Mark's body, the hunters would be on his quicker than the Flash. And he was not going to die just to return to Hell and have to fight for the throne again (or whatever it was that happened to Demons after they died, Kris never bothered to find out).

"What do you plan on doing when Mark is called upon by his boyfriend for help again?"

Lucifer looked at Kris with shock. "They finally admitted it?"

Kris waved his hand in dismissal. "Still in denial." 

Lucifer's shoulders sagged in sadness. He really hoped something might've come up. He hadn't been possessing Mark all that long so he didn't have time to rummage through the details of his love life (or lack thereof), but he had hoped that maybe his brother and that hunter he chose over his family would be in some sort of a relationship. Lucifer's day, which had started off horribly but managed to be better, had turned to crap once again. 

"Well to answer your question, I have no idea. It's not my priority for the moment. Now you. While I was gone you took over as the King. King Kris of Hell. The King of Hell: Kris. Kris, the King. I can see why you thought you could do as good a job as I did for being King; your name has a nice ring to it. But that doesn't excuse the fact that I'm back and you're in my spot," Lucifer said. His eyes scanned Kris up and down, making the demon feel uncomfortable. It was as if Lucifer was getting an exclusive look into his very being.

When Kris didn't budge, Lucifer sighed dramatically. "You're in my spot. The throne is reserved for the King and, honey, you're not him. Nice of you to try though. It's cute."

Though he didn't appear to move, Kris felt Lucifer's grip around his throat. Despite not needing to breathe, the demon choked as he felt the touch of the Fallen Angel caress his own demon energy. It felt like fire and he was slowly burning to ashes from the contact. The Angel's Grace erupted in Kris's body, his demon blood fighting the Angel light from within. It was complete agony for him. He felt the blood rush to the surface of his skin, mixing with the light of the Angel's blood and Grace creating lava that threatened to rupture Kris's skin and spill over. Kris's vision reddened as he doubled over and looked to Kris. The Devil stood staring down at the Demon and smiled serenely, his posture impeccable with hands behind his back. As soon as it had started, the pain dissolved, Lucifer contorting Mark's face into an ugly pleasureable smile. 

"Wasn't that fun, Christopher?" Lucifer grinned and walked smoothly to Kris. He kicked the King down and slowly lowered himself into the throne. "That was easy. You didn't even put up a fight. You're really losing your touch now, Krissy." 

Kris spat. He looked at what was formerly Mark, seeing his features distorted. It didn't suit him, this arrogance that Lucifer always had because he was the favourite. "You know their going to kill you when they realise what you did." Lucifer didn't respond to Kris's comments. After a moment of staring at each other, Lucifer arched his eyebrow. Kris got the hint and dread poured into his blood. "Your Majesty," he said bitterly, tasting something metallic in his mouth.

Lucifer smiled and looked down at Kris like he was a pet. "Good boy. As for them killing me... You let me out. You lead their friend to be the vessel of me, and you were the one who oversaw me take over Mark. They aren't gonna kill me, Kris. They're after you."

The Devil jumped down from his Throne with ease, as if he had been doing the manouvre for ever. The former King of Hell could only stare as Lucifer chained him up, and pulled him to the side of the Throne. Kris sat there on his legs, crouched like a dog, a metal collar around his neck, with a chain leading to Lucifer's hands. He waited for Hell to go to the Throneroom and see that their rightful King had returned.

 



 

I hope this chapter didn't confuse you guys. There was a lot of things that I wanted to include but I had no idea how it would all turn out, haha.