Chapter 21

The Dark of a Light

Jaebum and Jinyoung carried in Yeeun's body into the bunker. She had been knocked out for the entire journey from Nonhyeoni to their place, and they had expected her to wake up after about fifteen minutes. It had been double that time and she was still out. The tranquiliser usually didn't take that long to wear off, particularly since they only used it on difficult enemies who refused to do anything but fight. They thought it was the difference in species and maybe it would be affecting the effects. Then Nayeon discovered she used a more powerful sedative. Now they had to wait until Yeeun came to.

Jaebum texted Youngjae that they got Yeeun and they had to look for Jungkook. Then the three waited, silently watching as the other girl slowly regained consciousness. During that time, they got updates from each group. Youngjae and Geo were in the middle tracking Jungkook. Bame Bam, Yugyeom and SinB had found the location of the other Nephilim. The only people they weren't able to get in touch with were Jackson and Krystal. They weren't at the bunker when they arrived, so Jae Bum deduced that they left to do more research. 

Nayeon had taken a much needed nap while Jinyoung ate a snack. Nearly three hours passed by until Yeeun stirred. She groaned and rubbed her eyes as she sat up. She was still groggy from being sedated, but as soon as she realised where she was, she bolted up right and looked at the hunters that surrounded her.

"Where the hell am I?!" 

Jaebum moved in front of her. "You weren't cooperating and we told you. We need your help."

Yeeun spat. "That doesn't give you the right to... to drug me! And take me off to a strange place!" She got up and glared at Jaebum. "Take me back."

"What?"

"Take me back home! Or I swear to God-"

"What, you're gonna turn me into a little figurine? You already did that."

Yeeun held her head up high. She tucked her hair behind her ears and poked her tongue in her cheek. "Look, I don't know what you guys want from me. I thought you guys were all about helping me. Do you call this helping me? Capturing me against my will and holding me in a strange place? I didn't do anything in my time here since I got free. Take me back now."

Jaebum shook his head. "You know that that is not going to happen. As for you not doing anything, do you recall hearing the news about a girl who scratched her brains out from itching powder?"

Yeeun blinked. "That's what itching powder does. Why are you telling me about this?"

Jinyoung joined his friend and stood in front of Yeeun. "What about a man with the apple tree inside him when he accidentally swallowed the seeds? The fish that came out of the toilet after a man flushed it down?" He asked.

Yeeun shook her head in disbelief. was open in shock. "No. No, that wasn't me! That's what happens! It's just nature."

Jaebum took something out of a drawer. He walked back to Yeeun and showed it to her. It was an electric buzzer. He held it out to her. "What do you know about these?"

The girl stared at the prank toy in his hand. She slowly lifted her eyes to his in horror. Eventually, she said, "electric buzzers cook you like barbecue." She began shaking as her eyes teared up.

Jaebum moved closer to her. "That is not true, Yeeun-ssi," he said gently. "All they do is give you a slight jolt. It doesn't electrocute you. It's just a myth."

She blinked and wiped away her tears. She looked up to him with large eyes. "Really?"

Jaebum and Jinyoung nodded. Jaebum moved closer to Jinyoung and pressed the buzzer to his arm. Jinyoung jumped back at the sudden shock, but he didn't die. Just an irritation from the joke toy. "Dude, what the hell?!"

Jaebum shrugged and said, "I just wanted to see if it would work."

"My life was on the line, and you test a hunch?"

"Jinyoung, your life is always on the line. And you're not dead, are you?"

Jinyoung made a hmph! sound and turned to Yeeun, who had began softly laughing at the two. Jaebum moved to sit down next to her, and put an arm around her shoulders to comfort her. 

"See? We're not here to hurt you. We genuinely need your help. Please," Jaebum said. His voice was soft to not spook her. After a while, she nodded and looked up at the two.

"Alright. Alright, I'll do it. So... What now?" Yeeun asked.

"Well... We're just waiting on the others for now. We could show you around here? Maybe allocate you a room?" Jinyoung asked.

Yeeun nodded and followed them down the hall of the bunker. They showed her everything from the kitchen to the library to the long corridor that held the rooms for people to stay. Jinyoung explained that the bunker was from the previous hunters of Seoul, hence why there were so many rooms. The library held so many books that they had to be double stacked, despite the fact that there were an infinite amount of shelves.

They went on a tour of the weapons room, where the four walls were dedicated to a wide range of tools. One was full of blades of different lengths and sizes. Machetes and swords and knives gleamed silver as they hung on their hooks. There were three that seemed out of place; one was a blade that was made of brown metal. It didn't look particularly sharp but it stayed there amongst the other deadly knives. Another was black with a ruby at the hilt. None of the others had any embellishments to them. The last was pure silver and brighter than the others. It had an other-worldly glow to it. Yeeun wondered why they were different, if they served specific purposes or not. She didn't ask, but they saw her looking at them instead of the guns that they were trying to explain to her. 

Jaebum picked up the brown knife and twisted it in his hands. When he looked up, Yeeun gasped at how much like a hunter he looked. It didn't really make sense to her before, if she didn't know his profession she would've thought he was an idol. He certainly had the face of one. But looking at him with a weapon in his hand, it clicked. When he stepped closer to her, she fought the urge to move away from him. He held the blade to her hilt first. She took it. 

Up close, she saw that it wasn't metal like she originally observed. It was instead carved into the shape of a blade. She couldn't figure out what it was made of. Just as she was about to ask, Jaebum answered. 

"It's bone. I'm not sure whose bone, or what, but it is. That's all I know." 

Yeeun had the sudden urge to throw the blade away and clean her hands. But she had a feeling no amount of soap and water and hand sanitiser would ever make her hands feel clean. She realised now that the brown was actually the bone's ageing as well as dried blood. She shivered. 

"It's called the First Blade," Jinyoung said coming to join them. "It belonged to Cain, the son of Adam and Eve, after he slew his brother, Abel. A guy named Kris, gave it to us."

She hadn't him the blade. After he turned it over in his hand a couple of time, he set it back on its hook. He took the black blade with the ruby on it and handed it to her. Immediately, she was overcome with an overwhelming amount of despair. Seeing her hunch over, Jaebum took it back. He didn't seem affected by it which worried Yeeun.

"Yeah, it has that effect on you. This is a blade from one of our old friends. Hyuna. It killed demons."

"That's a thing?"

Jaebum struggled as he tried to explain to her. "Not really kill them, but sort of... Absorb their essence. And then there was nothing left of the demon and then they'd be dead. So... In a way it kills demons. Just not directly like a knife usually would."

"That's why it gives off that feeling of death. Because all it can do is absorb demons, and they're basically human souls twisted over time," Jinyoung added.

Yeeun nodded and pointed to the last strange blade. "What about that one?"

Neither of the hunters grabbed it. Jinyoung smiled slightly to himself. "That's mine. It's, uh... My friend, Mark, he uh... He gave it to me. It was a while ago when we all thought he was going to die, but he didn't." He reached out for it, but decided against it in the end. "It's an Angel Blade. When it was forged, it absorbed some of the Grace that came from the Angels."

"Grace?" Yeeun asked.

"The thing that makes an Angel an Angel. It's this extremely bright light that contains all their powers and immortality. I don't really understand it, Mark tried to explain but it was too complicated," Jinyoung said. 

Ah, Yeeun thought. That explains its glow.

"So this Mark guy... He's an Angel?"

"Yeah. So, it can kill basically anything. Except humans. For them, it just passes through them." He looked fondly at it. "Anyway, you ready to see where you're gonna be staying for a while?"

Yeeun nodded and followed them out the door. The lead her down another corridor of rooms explaining to her where they were. They were somewhere in Seoul, but they wouldn't tell her the exact location. The bunker was an underground place and could only be opened by hunters. The only way a person could enter was if a hunter invited them in. To obtain ownership, they'd have to sign their name in a book (which they spent hours looking for) and then stamping their finger print onto the page with their blood serving as the ink. It was a long process that they had done a few years prior, and they didn't remember all of it. 

They stopped in front of the first door that was clear of any signs of life. There were at least four that they passed that had some marking on it that claimed their hunter, but other than that, they all looked the same. There was the same symbol on each door, a blade stuck in the ground with a swirl around it. When Jaebum opened the door, they were greeted with the empty room. There was a bed in there with green plaid sheets and white pillows. There were bed side tables on each side of the bed, and a trunk at the end. There was a cupboard in a corner of the room and a desk in the opposite corner. The walls were a pale cream colour and the entire room smelled like dust. Yeeun couldn't wait to redecorate it.

"Okay, so this is where you're gonna stay. Hope you feel at home," Jaebum said, holding out his arms in the room as if to say ta-dah. 

Yeeun looked around her and back at the hunters. "I don't really have anything to make it home."

Jaebum nodded. "Right! So... We'll go back to yours tomorrow and pick up everything. Or, better, you can go shopping for more stuff. We don't really have a paying job, and we technically died three years ago, but you're welcome to use one of the cards we have!"

Yeeun raised an eyebrow in skepticism. "Credit cards?"

"It isn't fraud if they approve it," Jaebum said. "Rest. We'll get you when it's time to eat." He smiled at her and left, leaving her alone with Jinyoung.

"I'm really sorry about before. But... Thank you. For trusting us enough to stay," Jinyoung said and waved her goodbye before leaving her alone. 

Yeeun looked around her new home and sat on the edge of the bed. As time passed, she lay down on the bed and drifted off to sleep. For once, she didn't have any dreams.

 



 

GUYS I BOUGHT $300 WORTH OF CANDLES ONLINE NEVER LET ME LIVE BY MYSELF I WILL BE RECKLESS. 

Anyway, I hope you guys have had a great week and that you have enjoyed this chapter ^^ here's to another good week ^^ also if you're facing exams like I am, good luck. If you're not, good luck for upcoming tests or anything. Just remember that your best is enough and that you should be proud of your achievements and everything you do. 

AKA advice no one has ever bothered to tell me but I had to figure out myself while still feeling like a disappointment. It's not been a very good week. I truly detest school. It's the worst.