Chapter 24

The Dark of a Light

"Yes."

The word screamed through the whole arena, followed by Krystal's own screeches, filling the entire room with the sense of sadness and fear. Krystal and Kris had to shield their eyes as the Fallen Angel's natural form revealed itself; a blinding white light shone form the three figures in the cage into the entire room. Wait, she thought to herself. Three? No, I must have counted wrong.

The warmth of the Angel's aura died down. When he felt it was safe, Kris moved to tap Krystal's shoulder. He looked down into the cage, and for the first time that day, his eyes appeared more human. He moved toward the ground floor and Krystal followed, never taking her eyes off the cage. When she was close enough to it, she gasped. Henry's body lay unconscious to the side, limbs spread out. As she neared him, she saw that blisters had started to form, his skin peeling and rotting. She looked around the cage for her friend and the possible third person. Any clue that Jackson was every there was gone, as if he had just disappeared when he accepted Lucifer's proposal.

A weak cough startled her and Kris. He held her elbow and pointed to Henry, his eyes full of pain and sadness. His face was covered with dirt and blood, boils all over his skin. It hurt her to look at him as he wanted to cry, to say sorry. She couldn't blame him. She knew his story, how he became Lucifer's vessel. And he wasn't in control. They locked eyes for a minute, his sending her his apologies and his regret. He held out a rotting arm to her and she bent down to take it. His skin was rough from dehydration. He faintly squeezed her hand lightly, before opening his mouth. 

"I... Never... Don't... Don't let it... Not again..." he croaked, eyes conveying all his regret to her. 

Krystal smiled at him and his hand, choking as they looked each other in the eyes. He coughed again and slowly his already slack grip loosened. He fixed his eyes onto hers and whispered inaudibly to himself. Then he ceased to live.

 


 

Having watched the former vessel of Lucifer die an innocent, tortured soul, Kris decided not to tap into his demon senses and torment the Hunter who lost her friend. He sighed. The things he did sometimes were too human. He should really be credited for that; he really wasn't as evil as they made him out to be. For a demon and the King of Hell, he was awfully nice. 

Besides, there were more pressing matters he had to attend to. The fact that there was a human dead in the cage of Lucifer meant that Licifer had left. And seeing as one of the most powerful hunters of Seoul also disappeared into thin air, Lucifer had possessed a hunter. It was mind numbing for Kris; while he and the hunters weren't on good terms, they were allies whenever it concerned Lucifer. 

Kris looked to Krystal who was trying her best not to cry. He wouldn't have minded if she did, at least then he wouldn't feel so uncomfortable and awkward. She kept looking beside and behind her as if Jackson would reappear out of no where. But there was no point. He accepted the offer to be Lucifer's vessel. It was bound to happen at least once. He was supposed to be his host last time. The henchmen of Kris made bets on when the time would come. It seemed like Ilhoon would win. 

When they turned into the throne room, Kris stopped and turned to look at Krystal. She looked miserable at having to a) wear that outfit and most importantly b) her friend was the host of Lucifer and also missing. He gripped her shoulders and waited until she looked in his eyes to speak. 

"He's Hell's problem too. Look, if Luci's out -"

"Luci? Did you seriously just give the Devil a nickname?"

"Okay, fist of all, I expect that from Jackson, who I warned about this. And second, if the Devil's out, then Hell is in for it too. Don't forget, I gave your kind the only thing that had the power to put him back in the cage."

Krystal looked away into the throne room. Her eyebrows knitted together before an expression of pure shock came across her face. Kris looked back to his throne and gasped. 

"What the Hell-"

"Mark!" Krystal ran toward the Angel as Kris stood by staring at the glowing man. The regarded each other coolly, Krystal hugging her friend tightly. 

"Kristopher."

"Marcus."

Mark took a step toward Kris, hand outstretched as if wanting a handshake. Kris looked at it sceptically. 
"I swear on my Father I will not smite you."
 
Kris smiled coldly. "I'd prefer not to take that chance."
 
Mark shrugged and looked down to Krystal. "Why are you here?"
 
She looked at him embarrassed. She explained to him that Jackson had gone there because they needed help for their own case to find Lucifer's daughter. Mark paid close attention to the girl as she told him everything, not even interrupting as she tearfully explained Jackson and what he did in order to help them. When she was done, Mark held Krystal as she cried silently into his hoodie. He looked at Kris. 
 
"You allowed this to happen?"
 
Kris just shrugged. "I did warn him. I keep saying that."
 
Krystal buried her face deeper into Mark's chest, tears flowing faster. He her back and held her tighter to comfort his friend. For someone who was awkward and didn't fully understand social conventions, Mark was fiercely protective whenever his friends were upset. 
 
"Kris, under your watch and your instruction, Lucifer is free again. This time, the Apocalypse is on your hands, not the hunters'."
 
"Except that it is. I warned them. I warned Jackson Wang that for information on his daughter, he'd barter his release. The boy still said yes to him. This is always going to be their fault and theirs alone."
 
Mark let go of Krystal and walked toward Kris, glaring at the King. Kris stood straighter and looked blankly ahead. 
 
"If anything, you're responsible. Kris, you went with them. You overlooked it as it all happened. You warned him but you didn't bother offer a second way out."
 
Kris smiled. "I'm the King of Hell. I'm a demon. I've done my fair share of nice for a century already. I don't need to be lectured by Angel boy Marky over here. And don't forget, you're also a Fallen Angel. Don't act all high and mighty around me."
 
The two stared at each other for a while longer before Mark retreated back to Krystal.  He held her face in his hands and looked at her with gentle eyes. 
 
"Are you alright?"
 
She nodded, though her face was tear stained. "We need to find him. We need to find out how to... How to not kill him or..."
 
"Hey. I know. It's gonna be alright. I promise you, we'll do everything we can. But are you alright to go back or do you need me?"
 
She sniffed and said, "I can go back myself. I just... I need to think."
 
Mark smiled at her. "Take all the time you need."
 
Behind them, Kris scoffed. "And I thought he was in love with Junior."
 
Mark ignored him, and continued to comfort his friend. "I know it hurts. But I promise it'll get better."
 
"Will it? I mean, sooner or later we're probably going to have to kill Jackson."
 
"No. No we're not. And of course it'll get better, let me show you." Mark held her face in his hands and closed his eyes. Krystal followed. He'd done this trick before, creating an illusion of a future. Whether or not it was an actual vision or something he made up, she never knew. And she never wanted to. She waited for the image to flare up. 
 
She never got the chance. As she calmed her face, Mark opened his eyes and swiftly snapped her neck. Krystal thumped to the floor, looking as if she was sleeping. 

 



 

Hello everyone^^

Please don't kill me hahaha I honestly actually planned on a different fate but... Oh my god, I'm not gonna dig myself out so I'll just say the one thing that will help: Mark's not dead! Yay! Where is he? Will reveal soon haha. Here's Jinyoung dancing for ease!

Hope you haven't minded this chapter! Have a good week!