Chapter 11

The Dark of a Light

Jackson's POV

The coroner's office smells like death. I guess it shouldn't really smell like anything else, it is a place where they keep dead bodies. But, Jesus Christ, is this digusting. How can these people stand being around this day in and day out? What the hell possessed them to be someone around bodies anyway? Do they smell like death at home? So many unanswered questions that I cannot ask otherwise JB hyung will think I'm blowing our cover. 

I look along my three team members. I am excited, I'm hardly ever allowed to go on actual hunts. Personally, I don't see the reason why. I'm pretty sure I can do the same amount of damage as these guys. But then again, they can't research the way I can. Guess we picked our battles right. Right now, we're waiting for Jessica Ho, the best forensic pathologist in Seoul. Thankfully, she is also a hunter. We had no idea until she saw us waiting for her. 

"Crap." Was the only thing she muttered until she disappeared into her office. I'm very certain that she knows why we're here. There's no other reason besides the guy that was set on fire from the inside. I recall the police report. Cause of death was apparently unknown. These guys were bloody thick. They just can't seem to accept the world of the supernatural actually existing. Still, a job is a job.

"Alright, guys. Here to see the burn vic?" Jessi noona asked as she reappeared. She was wearing a uniform similar to Geo's except the shirt was plain white and had a white lab coat over it. 

We all nod in response before she questions the newbie. Oh god, do we have to actually say she's a witch or not? I don't know if Jessi noona is even going to help us after finding out. Best if we don't.

"She's the witch who came up with the only solution to Herodias," I hear Yugyeom tell her.

Oh. Well never the hell we mind with not telling her then. Thankfully. Jessi noona doesn't mind. Like the rest of us, she must just be happy to get any help from anything if it meant locking the up. We follow her into the room where they keep the cadaver. my life, the smell is so bad. 

Jessi noona wheels out the body of the victim. I gag. Aside from the fact the case was read to me, I wouldn't have ever guessed this was a human. It is horrible to look at. It is very clear that this guy had been burned. There is an opening from the middle of his stomach that showed his organs. His face is frozen in a look of pure terror and pain. I can not even begin to imagine the pain he must have been in. His organs scorched, as is the flesh that was closest to them. From the inside out. This was definitely not some regular case. And I am loving this.

"Do you have any idea on the identification?" I ask.

Jessi noona shakes her head. "Running the DNA scans right now, actually. So far, it is actually nothing."

"Do you know what did this?"

Again she shakes her head. "At first I thought witches," she cuts a quick apologetic glance to Geo, who isn't really paying attention to the conversation. She is more looking at the body. When she lifts her head, I catch her eyes full of interest. Like me, she's pretty damn excited. A quick movement from JB makes us look to him. His face is stern and eyes wide. He is sending us the message to not go full geek. I snort on the inside. Says the man who makes us stop on the street if he finds anything Bart Simpson related, I think to myself.

"Except that Tiffany checked the place. Either it was swpied clean of hex bags, or it wasn't witches. I have no idea what this could be," Jessi noona continues. She walks around the vic, checking her notes. I look back at the body and reach to move aside the fleshy flaps that cover the full inside of this man. I am greeted with charred organs. Now that I am closer to the body, I see that there are ashes all over his body. A part of me begs to use the scalpel to cut through the rest of his body to see what lay underneath. I stop paying attention to the people around me, dimly aware that JB hyung and Jessi noona are having a conversation. 

I feel the warm of someone beside me, and a gloved hand reach to examine the body as well. I look up to find Yugyeom intently checking the damage of the body. 

"Do you think the Cambion did this?"

"Brownie, I honestly have no idea. It could just be another witch case," I answer him.

He nods and goes to the other side, picking up the scalpel. Okay, first of all, that is just unfair. I barely glanced at the weapon and I get told to not even think about it. Damn it. But, I am saved from more jealousy as Jessi noona tells Yugyeom to put the knife down. HA! Now none of us but noona can geek out! 

She comes around and picks up the scalpel, slicing another line into the leg and arm. The cut is clean, no blood pouring out. Maybe because it isn't flowing... I look at Jessi noona to psychically ask if I can pull about the skin to look at the muscles. She does not look up but instead does the job herself. Rude. We all watch as she hold the flesh apart, and I am the first to peer inside. It is disgusting; black and brown, wet ash clogged in one area. I want to take a photo and remember this.

Jessi noona closes the leg wound and takes off her glove, immediately going for hand sanitiser. "It's like that all around. The organs completely burned, but the skin outside is perfectly fine. He was definitely burned from the inside. Do you have any clue, Jacks?"

"Honestly, I'm thinking it's the Cambion. You mentioned it was in their power to make anything possible?" I turn to Geo who is busy tracing the stomach of the man. I go next to her and clear my throat loudly. She jumps. 

"If you're done checking out the dead guy, do you think it is possible for this to be the work of the Cambion?" 

thins as she looks back at the damage done to the body. "To be honest with you, I thought this was a witch when I first heard. But... No hex bags?"

Jessi noona shakes her head. 

"Then... I guess it could be. Do you know where this was?"

"Apgujeong." We all say in unison.

Geo quickly looks to the computer in Jessi noona's office outside the room. "Can I quickly do a search of the neighbourhoods surrounding?"

Jessi noona nods and gestures for our witch to go outside. Once she is gone, Jessi noona turns to us. "Are you seriously letting a witch help you guys?"

"We have no other choice or leads. It was kind of get what we can take," Yugyeom answers.

"This better be worth it then. I'm not having my future in the hands of a witch." Jessi noona covers the body up again and wheels it back in. I wonder who this is and if his family knows about this. He deserves a proper burial.

The door opens again and Geo enters, holding a notepad.

"That was quick," Yugyeom notes as she approaches us.

Geo shrugs. "Quick wifi."

"I love this place," I say.

All four of them turn to me. 

"What? I do."

The others are unaware of what to do or reply to me, so they turn their attention back to Geo.

"Okay, so anyway, I did some research and found quite a few more interesting cases nearby Apgujeong: Cheongdam, Samseongi, Yeoksamil, Nonhyeonil, and Sinsa. In the middle of all these neighbourhoods-"

"Nonhyeoni." JB finishes her sentence.

Geo nods. She looks back at her notepad. "All of these neighbourhoods have had cases worthy of you guys in the past few weeks. In Cheongdam, there was a girl who literally scratched through her scalp into her skull and burrowed a hole to her brain. Samseongi saw a man with an apple tree growing in him after swallowing apple seeds."

Yugyeom takes the notepad out of her hand and reads on. "Yeoksamil: animal came out of toilet after a man flushed it. Nonhyeonil, woman held in fart and exploded. Sinsa, girl turned into a doll after being covered in blankets and a man passed her. All passed of as either a practical joke or a freak accident."

"And in Nonhyeoni?" I hear JB hyung ask. 

"Nothing. Absolutely clear. That doesn't sound weird to you, hyung?"

JB hyung sighs. "Of course it sounds weird to me. What do you think Geo?"

Geo shrugs and looks to Yugyeom. "It's worth checking, I think. It is very possible that this is the Cambion. If not... Well... It's still worth somewhat looking into, right?"

JB hyung takes a while to answer her. I look back at the poor man who suffered such an unfortunate death. I feel so sorry for him. 

"We should check it out. Nonhyeoni, I mean. Then we can solve all six cases at once."

"Yeah, unless it isn't actually related," I say.

"Worth a shot at least. Thanks, noona. Great help today," JB hyung leaves the room, taking off his gloves and coat. The others follow him, throwing away the gloves and hanging up their white lab coats before taking their exit to catch up to JB. I stay back and look to Jessi noona.

"When you find out who he is, call me, okay? I want to send him off proper."

She nods at me and looks at him. "I want to do the same thing. No problem, Jackson. I'll contact you as soon as I can, alright? Good luck on the case."

"Thank you, noona," I say as I leave her alone with the body. 

 



 

FREAKING PANDA IS STUCK IN MY HEAD OMG WHY I AM LITERALLY JUST AN INNOCENT TRASH CAN I DO NOT NEED THIS

I hope you enjoyed this chapter ^^ Writing in the present tense and in first person POV... I need the practice for school ^^