Chapter 15

The Dark of a Light

They didn't have a clear plan for finding the Nephilim. That was the problem whenever the group split up for sub plans. Jae Bum gave them orders and then they'd go to do them. Only about halfway away from the bunker would they realise that they didn't know what they were doing. Time was something that they never had on their side, so they didn't have the luxury to turn back and sit down to make a plan. They just had to figure it out on the way. Unfortunately for Yugyeom, Bam Bam and SinB, they didn't have the fast connection of internet that Jackson would have somehow had gotten. Fortunately for them, they had SinB who knew how to track the thing down. It was her family afterall.

Yugyeom was the only one out of all of them that could drive, being nineteen and all. SinB wasn't even sure how old she was, and Bam Bam was Thai and it was difficult for him to get a liscence. Yugyeom, the only Korean with a plausible age, had gotten his provisional liscence last year, so he was in charge of moving the rest of them. 

"Do you have any idea on where this guy could be?" Bam Bam asked, bringing out a notepad. Even though he was Thai, the boy had already memorised the entire layout of Seoul. Yugyeom himself had trouble doing so. 

SinB was silent for a while. "I know Mingyu only visits one place whenever he leaves."

"Great, where?"

"I honestly don't know where."

The boys groaned.

"I... I can explain it to you?"

"Honey, explainin' ain't gon' do anything."

Yugyeom rolled his eyes. "It's better than nothing, Bam Bam. SinB, what do you know of this place?"

"It...It's a park. He said that when he knew it, it was just full of grass and trees and now that there were more structures there. That at night it was beautiful because of there being so many pretty coloured lights. A lot more people visited there in the day time. Children mainly. He said that... He said that there were so many of these areas there, and that they all brought so much joy to him." 

Bam Bam looked to Yugyeom, who shrugged. "Sounds like a place with lots of parks," the latter deduced.

"Obviously. Do you think we could find our Nyoungie there? Get it? Because he's a Park? Get it?"

"Honey, we all get it," Yugyem retorted. "We need to know where."

"Off the top of my head... Anyang in Gyeonggi-do."

"What?! That's ages away?"

"Good thing we're on the road then, sweetheart." Bam Bam laughed and sat back in his seat next to Yugyeom. Next to him, in the passenger, was SinB.

"How long away from there are we?"

"We travelled like 5km already. We have at least fifteen to go."

SinB groaned and put her head back. They had been travelling for quite a while now, and they had tripple that time left. Even if Yugyeom beat all the traffic lights, they weren't going to be there all that quickly. At least another hour or so. 

"Let's play a car game!" Bam Bam said suddenly. He was jumping in his seat, excited with the prospect of fun. He turned to SinB first. "Alright, SinB, 20 Questions-" Yugyeom groaned. "Is a game where I ask you any 20 questions and you have to answer them truthfully. Now, we don't really know you, so you're gonna get 40 questions instead-"

"No, nope, I'm not playing," Yugyeom interrupted.

"Just ignore him. Now, you're gonna get 40 questions, and in turn you can ask us 20 questions. Okay? Okay. Now, first up, where are you from?"

"Listen to me, Bams, can we just get there in peace?" Yugyeom asks.

"No. SinB, anything?"

"Chungju."

Bam Bam went on asking questions, finding out more about their new friends. He had asked almost 20 questions, and so far nothing about her species. SinB was relieved. She didn't want to answer any questions like who her parents were, what it was like, what abilities she had. She'd made that mistake once before and was determined not to make it again. Thankfully, these hunters seemed more interested in making friends with her. She guessed that it was due to the fact that they didn't have many friends and that they'd come across a lot of other things. 

Yugyeom refused to play, so Bam Bam picked up the game again and continued to ask SinB about her life. He asked what she enjoyed doing, and what she remembered about her home, but nothing touching on what being a Nephilim was like. When his next few 20 questions were up, she felt a lot more comfortable with him. Although she was the one giving information, she felt like she knew Bam Bam a lot better. She already noted that he was a fun person, someone who liked to laugh. She enjoyed his company.

SinB's turn of asking her 20 questions was mainly just a rehash of questions that she remembered Bam Bam had asked. Yugyeom had intervened in some answers, saying that Bam Bam was lying, resulting in the entire car filling up with laughter. She forgot what number question she was on, so they abandoned the game and got on to speaking like regular friends. In her answering her questions, she found that she had a lot in common with Yugyeom. They shared a similar love for music and singing, and sang the legendary song Heartbreaker by G-Dragon. SinB told them of the year she resurfaced and that the first thing she heard was the song. She'd been obsessed since, singing it while in the dark. It irritated Herodias, so she continued to hum the song. 

Yugyeom asked her what it was like when she came back. She told him in detail. It happened annually for 2000 years so she remembered everything. How she was always kept in the darkness with the screams of Herodias and the Naphaelem reminding her of where she was. The intense pain she felt around her entire body, but when she looked down there was nothing. The angels had used invisible bonds, but they cut the hybrids in ways that they could never forget. They left permanent scars on their hearts.

When the time came, the bonds loosened. As it drew closer, the bonds would inch out, freeing them, allowing them to move. When it was the day they could leave, the bonds let go of them completely, an incredible liberty and they could finally breathe. They'd look into the darkness and envision the place they most desired to visit, and suddenly... Pure bliss. Light. An indescribable feeling of happiness. They could see how the world had changed, hear the differences. Every year, they were amazed at everything that was new. SinB remembered the first time she saw a mobile phone, the first time she heard of Seoul. When she went there, she knew she wanted to visit again and again and again. Soon, she visited there more than she visited her home. It was beautiful, seeing everything. 

But, as part of the deal, it came to an end, and she'd have to find a quiet place and in a blink of an eye, she was greeted with darkness. The bonds would grow over her again and tighten. It was as if she never left. She had been bitter at the deal for centuries. It was freedom, yes, but it was a caged freedom. She couldn't stand that they'd gotten a taste of life that they had missed, but then have to be forced back. There wasn't enough time to marvel at the changes. To her, it was more a curse than a blessing. There was nothing worse than knowing that out there, in the world, there were so many things happening, so many miracles, so many lives. And she was missing all of it, trapped in total darkness and screaming.

When Herodias was freed, she never felt so free. She had gone so long with constant pain, she almost didn't remember. It was like a drug, this newfound freedom. She didn't care how much havoc Herodias was reaping on the world; she only cared that she was free. She was in love with the feeling. Being a slave to the angels, being tied to that witch... She didn't want to go through it again. She hated angels. She hated everything they stood for. SinB had agreed to help because of her father, her Angel parent that promised she wouldn't be in pain. That it would be over soon. Little did she know that 'soon' was 2000 years later.

SinB told the hunters everything she felt, everything she experienced. It was great to talk about it. When she got out, she found herself in Seoul and found sanctuary in a nice couple's home. They didn't have any children because they couldn't have any, and they took in SinB out of the goodness of their hearts. She didn't tell them anything about her, only what she assumed was her name. They gave her food, a place to stay, clothes. She got a job at the cafe and for the first time in her life, everything was good. She knew it was all over when she saw Mark at the cafe. She called her new family to see her at work so that she could wipe their memory clean of her. Then she spoke to the angel and his hunter friend and agreed to help. SinB knew that Jinyoung was lying when he said that they weren't going to lock her up. She knew that the only thing part of the lore about Herodias and her imprisonment, was about the hybrids being used to seal her up in the cage. She also knew that the new theory he came up with about blood magic was actually a solution. They didn't know it, but she did, and she planned on turning the plan into that one rather than the one the witch came up with.

Still, she needed her cousin and her demonic counterparts to help her. And to get their help, she needed to find them. When she asked how long they had been on the road for, she realised how long she and the boys had been talking, because they were only five kilometres away. It didn't feel like hours had passed at all. She searched within her for a spark of Mingyu's presence. Something should be there, seeing as it usually was. Maybe they were too far away. She'd know it when she was close to him.

SinB kept her eyes on the road, concentrating on her connection to Mingyu. She wasn't sure if it was a placebo effect, but she felt something start up as they drew closer. In about another hour, she was certain. There was the familiar tug at her core. They were close.

 



 

Sorry that this is a day late!! I woke up and was like I need to update but then I went to school and shjdkwkd. School ruins everything -.-

Anyway, I hope you have all had a good week and I will update in 6 days! Bye bye ^^