Chapter 5

The Dark of a Light

It was the afternoon, the sun burning brightly. Mark's hair glowed in the sunlight, Geo squinted while following him. After a few minutes of walking in a secluded forestry area, he stopped, Geo mimicking his movements. Mark turned around, facing the witch. He didn't show any emotion. Geo felt nervous looking into the much taller man's eyes. 

"A founding member of the most powerful coven in Korea from the Joseon Dynasty. One of the most powerful witches in Korea for the past 368 years. And you're asking for hunters to help you. You of all people know the risks. Why? Why do you need the help of hunters? Why would you risk your life, Geovanna Park Soojung?"

She flinched at her full name. Geo wondered how he knew, then remembered he was an angel despite the non-biblical name. She considered his question, unsure how to answer. Maybe he knew already. He was an angel.

"I'm 19," she started.

Mark held her gaze. "We both know that that isn't true."

Geovanna sighed. "Fine. I may be one of the most powerful witches, but I'm alone. The coven abandoned me. They refuse to believe that we can work in harmony with hunters. But we need them. We can't defeat Herodias by ourselves. I'm willing to set that aside to prove that we can work together. I know my kind causes all kinds of havoc, but we're all suffering. We need each other."

Mark stayed quiet for a while. As he absorbed her answer, Geo examined Mark's vessel. He was good looking. He looked like, well, an angel. That was the best way to describe it. She wondered if that was why he was chosen to host the angel. His bone structure was exquisite, cheekbones high and a defined jaw line. Damn, son.

"Your plan better work, Soojung." He pushed past her back to the direction of the hunters' home. Geo followed quickly after

 


 

The cafe was busy, people milling about with their drinks, sitting and talking with their friends, laughing, taking photos of their drinks and food. Mark stayed to the side of the queue while Jinyoung ordered a coffee. As he waited for his drink, Jinyoung turned to look at Mark and studied his friend. He looked weary lately, the bags under his eyes were more prominent as the days went by while he looked for his lost father. His eyes, his vessel's eyes, though as young as 23, held so much wisdom, the wisdom of an angel. Mark's angel eyes pierced through his vessel's, and showed how much he knew, how much he had seen. Jinyoung recalled their first meeting, and all the stories the angel told him and the other hunters throughout the years. It was extraordinary, learning about the past of the world, an Angel of the Lord's firsthand comments and opinions. Mark was the first and the nicest angel they'd come across. His brothers and sisters were not so nice to the likes of the hunters. 

Jinyoung rubbed his stubble, taking the drink that was held out to him. Together with Mark, he walked to a spare table and sat down, observing his surroundings. It had been three days since Geo had come to the hunters with her plan, and Mark reached out to all the angels staying in Korea for any leads for the Nephilim. He looked around, wondering if his sources were correct. He hadn't seen anything out of the ordinary yet. He hadn't spotted any form of an angel's glow, nor seen the dull grey light of an angel's eyes. He wasn't sure if he was getting weaker or if he'd gotten incorrect information, or if he was just wrong.

Jinyoung turned in his seat, and looked to his friend. "So, what are we looking for here, Mark?" He asked. 

"I don't know. I haven't seen it. But Kai is still my friend. He's still loyal. He wouldn't lie to me."

The hunter nodded. He'd never thought much about the offspring of angels, humans and demons. He didn't think it was possible until a few years back. "Well, could we maybe get his help? Or any other of your Angel friends? I mean, Metatron did tell Castiel that there was only one on earth and they killed her."

Mark looked like a rabbit caught in headlights. "That was the one that was born after Herodias was caged. The other must have been freed when you accidentally set her free."

Jinyoung flinched. He didn't like to remember that day. He had repressed that memory, just like the rest of his friends. This was the first time it was brought up, the true reason that Herodias was set free. He cleared his throat. Just as he opened his mouth to say something, he felt Mark's hand on his arm, a tight grip. He looked to the angel and saw that he was looking at something just behind the hunter. Jinyoung turned, and saw he was looking at a waitress. 

She was tall and slim, her hair medium length and dark brown, pinned half-up/half-down. When she turned her face, they saw she was beautiful; an oval shape with a small, high nose and straight brows. Her lips were plump, not Kylie Jenner, Bam Bam or Jinyoung plump, but they weren't pre-Kylie Jenner either. She wore simple black skinny jeans and a white cotton shirt, with Nike Theas. Her eyes were dark brown and concentrated, but in another's eyes, they held a grey light, like an angel's except darker; weaker. She was busy cleaning the tables that were abandoned of cups and plates, unaware of the two pairs of eyes watching her.

Mark looked to the hunter, eyes wide, and alert. Without saying anything, Jinyoung knew that Mark had spotted the Nephilim. He wasn't sure what Mark was seeing, but he definitely spotted their target. He couldn't help but smile. Having an angel helping you hunt was a great advantage; something he was ever so grateful for. It was their first try to catch the half-angel, and they'd been there less than half an hour, and she was found. Now, all they had to do was try to get her to join them.

The waitress was still cleaning, when Jinyoung called to get her attention. She walked over, and Mark not only saw her face much clearer, but also the faint glow she had around her. Like the eyes, the Nephilim's glow was a dimmer light. He knew that this was the Nephilim that he and his family turned into a key to lock up Herodias. He barely remembered that day, but he knew that face. He remembered it even after 2000 years. He remembered the plan to brand the hybrids and Herodias with the same mark, making them the lock and the key to the enemy's improsonment. He remembered Korea functioning with majority of their population half-angel beings, half-demon beings, which was why they locked Herodias in Korea in the first place. He remembered them fighting for their lives, the deal made for their freedom, every year for just one day. Then Mark remembered the day he knew all their hardwork became undone by a group of unruly hunters who were his best friends, setting free one of the most dangerous entitied on earth. Tears stung his eyes, threatening to spill at the memory. He was torn, forced by his brothers and sisters to choose: his family or his friends. Mark still hadn't made his decision. He was pulled out of his thoughts when the waitress drew closer.

"Hi, how can I help you today?" She asked them.

Mark and Jinyoung looked at her. They knew that she could see Mark's halo. Why she was being casual and not saying anything was something they didn't know. It made them nervous.

"Ye-" 

"I know what you are," Mark said.

The waitress blinked at them. Her eyebrows furrowed, as if confused by the sudden claim. Jinyoung sighed, rolled his eyes. Despite having most of his friends human, and spending more and more time around them, the damn angel still didn't know that you couldn't always be outright. 

"I am so sorry about th-" he started, before Mark stood up and loomed over the girl. Jinyoung threw his hands up and sat back, his face in disbelief. Seriously? Like this won't bring any attention. Jinyoung stood up and tried to pull his friend back into his seat, but was shrugged off. Mark's face looked disgusted.

"Abomination," he hissed. Jesus freaking Christ, are you kidding me? Jinyoung thought. The waitress looked scared at the abruptness of the blond man, and backed away slightly. Around them, the other customers were gradually stopping their conversations to look at the three. Jinyoung didn't know where Mark's sudden coldness came from. Even Mark looked confused. Maybe it was the knowledge of the Nephilim being forbidden. It was probably the years of repressed prejudice. But while his heart felt like he should say sorry, he couldn't bring himself to do it. 

To the hunter and the Nephilim, Mark's eyes burned a furnace. This was the first time Jinyoung had ever seen Mark look so angry. The tension grew thicker around them, the air uncomfortable. They heard footsteps approach them.

"Hey! What the hell do you think you are doing?!" An older man, probably the girl's manager, shouted to Mark.

Mark's lips curled back to a snarl, his eyes kept on the girl. She shrunk behind the older man, eyes nearly spilling tears. 

"You have thirty seconds to get out of here sensibly before I throw you out!" 

Before he could do anything even more offensive, like spit on their shoes, Jinyoung grabbed his friend by the arms and pushed him forward, bowing slightly as he passed the manager and smiling apologetically. Mark stared at the waitress.

"Are you okay, SinB?" They heard the manager ask.

They looked back, and saw that she was staring after them. She nodded to her manager and said, "Yes, uncle. I'm fine. I'd like a break now, please."

"Of course. But not too long. I'm only allowing this because of before," the manager replied, his voice gentle to the most probably traumatised girl. Jinyoung looked forward and continued walking out with his friend.

"Thank you. I'll just be at the park behind. With the curly slide."

The hunter and the angel walked their way to the park they overheard the girl describe. 

 



 

The more I get into this, the more ideas I get and the more I want to rush this!! But I cannot! I must pace myself. But just in case it seems rushed, I am soooo sorry!! ^^ 

BTW I hope I didn't make Mark and Junior seem hella weird when they were looking at the Nephilim... It put in some line like "she was unaware of the men who were watching her" and I was like omg, it makes them sound like predators... And then I wrote it out again like 9 times. 

PS, I may also start referring to Geo to the Korean name I gave her... So if you read Soojung in future chapters, please remember it is her ^^