Kim Young Jae

We are brothers

I opened my eyes as I felt my alarm clock was ringing. I off the sound and looked at the clock. My eyes opened wide then I jumped out of my bed and went to get a quick shower in my bathroom. The time was 5.00pm. I have my night shift at the café at 6:00pm.i worked as a waiter. I just have a nice afternoon nap when I got back from school. I have to work part time because I lived with no one in a small and old apartment. My mother had passed away and my father… I never met him since I was born. So, no one was there to help me.

I came out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around my waist. I went to my closet to get my uniform which is only a black t-shirt that had a logo on it. I even put on my blue skinny jean and shoes. I quickly grabbed my bag and headed outside.

I rushed as fast as I could as I don’t want to be late. The café is a 10 minutes’ walk from my apartment and is located in front of the shopping mall. I entered the back door of the café and went straight to the staff room. I greeted my boss and colleagues and toss my bag to my locker. I took out my apron and put it on. My name tag was nicely pin on the t-shirt. I went towards the door and changed the sign to close to open.

Not very long, the café was filled with customers. I was busy taking down the orders from the customers. As I walked along the tables, some of the female customers kept staring at me and whispering with each other. I know I was popular among the girls but I ignore them. I may look cool and maturate but I am just an ordinary high school student.

I heard the door open and I glanced over to who it was. At that very moment, a customer walked in and caught everybody eyes were on him. He was tall and he had a sunglass on his face. He was wearing a black suite that makes him look more mysterious.

I was staring at him blankly while the man walked in and took a seat at the far end corner of the table.. I snapped out of my stares when my boss cleared his throat. My expression immediately went back to cool image and went to sever the customer.

“Welcome” as I give him a smile and handed the menu to him.

He nodded and took the menu. I was holding to my note to get ready to take his order. Instead of looking at the menu, he keeps looking at me from head to toe. He then start staring at my name tag.

“Kim Young Jae…” Alow voice coming out from his mouth while smirking. I nodded awkwardly.

“Would you like anything sir?”  I asked with a heart-warming smile.

“Espresso” He replied handing the young waiter the menu.

I nodded again and wrote it down with the menu under my arm.

A few minutes later, I came back with his coffee. I placed the coffee on the table then bowed.

“Hope you enjoyed your coffee” I said and left.

For the past minutes, I could feel the man keep staring at me throughout. I get the goose bumps and keep ignoring him.

Finally, the man stood up and left the table after he left the money on the table. I came up to received the money and saw a white envelope on the table.

Maybe he accidentally dropped on the table. I quickly went to the outside to call for the man but him now where to be seen. I curiously looked at the envelope carefully and saw my name printed in gold at the front of the envelope. I widened my eyes and realized that the envelope is for me. I checked the content of the envelope and it is a card. I flipped open and it stated:

You are inviting to attend a special gathering at the XXX Hotel this coming Sunday

. . .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“We are here sir.” I nodded to the cab driver and give him the money. I told him to keep the change.  I got myself out of the cab and looked at tall building. I bite my lip and enter the front door. I looked around the lobby and not sure what to do. I kind of lost. Then something… no someone got my eyes. Is that mysterious man. He was facing a boy with a headphone on his head at the lift lobby. The man’s back was facing me so I bet he did not see me.  I saw them walking away to somewhere so I decided to follow them.

Not before long, I found myself at the long hallway. I raised my left eye brown.

Where am I?

As I was wondering, I found out that I lost them. Dam it! I tried walking straight to the hallway until I found myself in front of the door.  Should I open it? I breathe in and out and turned the door knob. I let myself in and sat the headphone boy from just now is sitting at the middle of the table drinking water. I felt our eyes meet each other for a moment.

Not to be rude, I decided to go to the front to introduce myself to him.

“Annyeonghasaeyo, Kim Young Jaeimnida. And you” I asked. I looked at him from head to toe. He was like a rebel to me.  

“Park Eunwoo” replied the boy and turned his attention to his music.

I shrugged and went to take seat beside him.  The room is in complete silent. I calmly looked at the table and counted the chairs. Do we have to wait for 5 more people to arrive?