chapter 7

13:00 am

"Delicious?" Chanyeol asked while looking at Areum who was eating with a huge appetite of hers. Sometimes Chanyeol wondered how could a small build girl eat like a hungry dog.

Areum nodded frantically, bringing Chanyeol to huge laughter. They were having beef steak for dinner. Chanyeol purposely cooked something special for Areum that night after the abrupt news that the girl brought. She said she wanted to leave.

"Areum-ah. Do you really want to leave tonight? Why don't you wait until tomorrow?" Chanyeol's question stopped Areum from munching. The girl slowly put the knife and fork down and looked up at Chanyeol.

"Yes. I can't wait until tomorrow" Areum answered.

"It's a little bit dangerous especially you're a girl. Let me know where you want to go. I'll send you there" Chanyeol offered. 

Areum sighed. It was not like she refused to tell Chanyeol where she was going but that place was beyond Chanyeol's imagination. Human was not allowed to know about their existence and Chanyeol would not believe her anyway. Areum took Chanyeol's hand and squeezed it lightly.

"It's fine Chanyeol-ah. Thanks anyway" Areum creased a reassuring smile. Chanyeol sighed in defeat.

"But where are you going actually? Home?" Chanyeol mumbled while chewing the steak in his mouth.

"Something like that. There's something I need to do" Areum replied with a simple answer that did not satisfy Chanyeol at all. Nevertheless, Chanyeol stopped asking. Areum had her privacy too.

"Umm...Chanyeol-ah. May I ask you something" Areum stopped eating as she was about to ask something important.

"Sure" Chanyeol did not even spare a look at Areum, focusing on his steak.

"Are you sick? I mean do you have something like an illness" Areum looked straight to Chanyeol, trying to figure out the truth.

As if an alarm alerted him, Chanyeol stopped eating. He looked up and stared at Areum. The man sat back, crossing his arm. Areum unwittingly gulped, worried if she had asked something sensitive. Chanyeol's serious face really frightened the girl. The serious face softened and then ended with a huge laughter from Chanyeol. 

"Sick? Aigoooo you're so funny Areum-ah! If I'm sick I can't cook you dinner and probably I'll lie on my bed. Stop talking nonsense and eat" Chanyeol ruffled Areum's hair and continued eating.

"O-okay" Areum complied but still had her eyes on Chanyeol.

Somehow, she did not trust Chanyeol's words.

Is he talking the truth?

Or....he is lying?


...

Kyungsoo gripped his phone tightly. His lips almost bled because of his bite. The man was debating whether to call Areum's parents or not. Three days. Three days had past. He should not wait any longer but something at the back of his mind was holding him.

"Kyungsoo-ya? Are you alright?" Junmyeon tapped Kyungsoo's shoulder.

"Uh? Oh yes" Kyungsoo answered. He immediately shove his phone into his pocket. His eyes then caught a sheet of paper in Junmyeon's hand. 

"Oh this is the list of candidates for Level 5 Quera" Junmyeon swung the paper in front of Kyungsoo's eyes. Kyungsoo cocked his brow.

"Congratulation brother! You're on the list! Aigooo how can you be so successful?" Jumnyeon chuckled. He patted the younger one on the shoulder, proud with him.

Level 5 Quera was the highest level in Skytes. Quera who got to Level 5 was respected by Quera's nation. Usually, Level 5 would only be achieved at age 40 and above but having a genius brain and formidable skill, it was an easy bound for Kyungsoo to pass. 

"Emmm thanks" Kyungsoo's indifferent towards the news making Junmyeon frowned. He was expecting something like a hug or scream or any excited expression but this boy just took it as a mere news.

"Ya! What's with 'emmm thanks'? You should be happy! It's hard to get to level 5 in your age" Junmyeon shook his head. He noticed that Kyungsoo was a little bit different lately. He seemed lost his focus.

"Sunbaenim. I think I want to go home. I'm not feeling well" Kyungsoo strode away, leaving Junmyeon in clueless state.

 

"Ya! Kyungsoo-yah! Do Kyungsoo!" Junmyeon hollered but Kyungsoo did not even bother to stop. His mind was too crammed with Areum's thought. He could not focus on his work if this matter did not settle.

Kyungsoo needed to go home.

...

Areum crouched down in front of Kyungsoo's door, waiting patiently for the man to come home. She could not deny she missed Kyungsoo so much. They were times they were distanced from each other but those times were different. They would call each other or at least texted. This time, they did not even text.

Sound of car engine entered Areum's ear, alerting the girl that Kyungsoo had arrived. A smile unwittingly formed in her chiseled face. Fixing her dress that draped perfectly just below her knees, Areum then strode towards the yard.

Kyungsoo unaware of Areum's presence, kept his head low. The man was drown in his distraught thought, did not even bother about the surrounding. His crestfallen expression was too prominent that it disturbed Areum. Areum had the feeling it was because of her.

"Kyungsoo-ya" Areum called him with the sweet and soft voice of hers. 

Kyungsoo looked up immediately, startled by Areum's voice. He blinked a few times, seeing Areum stood safe and sound in front of him. The man was too stunned by the sudden cause. For some reasons, Kyungsoo could not believe his eyes.

"Kyungsoo-ya. What’s wrong? It's me, Areum" Areum chuckled, amused by Kyungsoo's reaction. 

Tucking her hair behind her ear, Areum paced closer to Kyungsoo. A smile perfected her feature. Without waiting for Kyungsoo to respond, Areum placed her arm around Kyungsoo's waist, hugging the man who she missed so much.

"I miss you Kyungsoo" Areum murmured. Tears trickled down her face.

Kyungsoo felt like dreaming. A vivid dream that he could even feel Areum's touch. If this was really a dream, Kyungsoo did not want to wake up ever again. Could not hold himself back anymore, Kyungsoo embraced Areum, pulling her closer into his arms. His hand traveled to Areum's long hair and it.

"I miss you too Areum. I miss you much..."

...

Kyungsoo's jaws dropped once Areum finished her long explanation. It was well-described without leaving a single detail! Even Wolfie that had been wiggling his tail out of excitement without stop already fell asleep on Areum's laps. 

"So that's my story" Areum ended with a smile as if she did not do something prohibited.

"Song Areum! You've gone to Human World and-" Areum clamped Kyungsoo's mouth, stopped him from continuing.

"Ya! Lower your voice! This place gonna collapses because of you!" Areum hissed. Kyungsoo blinked a few times, shocked.

Kyungsoo shoved Areum away. He narrowed his eyes at the girl. Did not even cross his mind that Areum would enter Human World. By herself. Let me repeat, by herself! Kyungsoo could not believe Areum had the courage to enter Human World without a pinch of knowledge about them.

That was not the important part. The thing was, Areum even communicated with human and lived with them! Kyungsoo wondered if Areum had lost her mind or not. He guessed all the pressure from her parents led her this way. Kyungsoo shook his head.

"Kyungsoo-ya...I need your help! About the guy named Baekhyun I told you, can you please check w-"

"Areum-ah! Do you know how much I worried about you? Do you know how miserable I was? And now you want me to worry about this human named…what is his name again? Bacon? Baekhyun? Whatever! I'm sorry but no" Kyungsoo interjected. 

Kyungsoo crossed his arms. He did not even know why he was so riled up over this matter. Maybe it was because Areum went against the Quera rules. Maybe it was because Areum did not even care about him. Or maybe jealousy? Kyungsoo shook the thought away. He was not jealous!

"Kyungsoo-ya, I'm sorry" Areum sat closer to Kyungsoo. Her voice lowered.

Areum realized her fault. For her, it was normal if Kyungsoo was mad at her. She made that guy worried. Areum could see his miserable state when she saw him earlier. But she really felt misfit in Quera World. She was different. Human Word fitted her more.

"Do you think about your parents? Do you know how much they worried about you?" Kyungsoo sighed. Areum alerted at the word 'parents'.

"They don't love me" Areum snorted. Her mom's words rewinded at the back of her mind. Her heart pierced. Kyungsoo let out a sigh.

"Your mom said she's really sorry. She wants you to come home. I know what she said is harsh but she was angry at that time. Your mom already remorsed on her words. Go back, Areum. I've told your parents you're with me all the times so you don't have to worry" Kyungsoo's voice softened, trying to persuade the latter.

"Thank you very much Kyungsoo but I don't think I can stay with them" Areum persisted. She could consider to forgive them but Areum could not think she could see her parents right now. Her heart still bled.

"If you don't want to stay with them, where do you want to live?" Kyungsoo's question brought a smile on Areum's face. The girl certainly had a plan on her head.

"Areum-ah...don't say...." Kyungsoo gasped. He guessed he could read what was in Areum's mind.

"Yes Kyungsoo. I'll live in Human World" Areum spoke her thought.

"Can I live with you?" Areum asked Chanyeol.

Areum had decided to live in Human World. She made that decision after she'd read Baekhyun's life span. Areum wanted to help Baekhyun. Baekhyun had helped her and now it was time to reciprocate him. There was only one way. Areum had to stay.

"What?!" Chanyeol's eyes widened. This girl seriously wanted to live with him? 

"Please Chanyeol-ah. I'll do anything. House chores, cooking everything. Just let me stay here" Areum pleaded. 

Chanyeol let out a sigh. It was a huge request. A girl wanted to live with him. It was not a problem if Areum wanted to stay for a while but being a housemate, Chanyeol was a little bit hesitated. They were not married. He did not care to live with a girl but what if Areum's parents mad at him?

"Please...." Areum batted her eyelashes, hoping it would melt Chanyeol's heart.

Chanyeol massaged his temple. After a few minutes of silence, Chanyeol succumbed. It was not bad to have Areum around anyway. His days became more colorful lately with Areum's presence. Areum was a great company after all. 

"Okay you can stay here" Chanyeol grinned. 

"Thank you! Thank you! Thank you so much! I'll do all the house chores with all my best! I can guarantee!" Areum intertwined her fingers in gusto. A sigh of relief escaped from her lips. A problem settled.

"You don't have to. Just keep me accompany" Chanyeol ruffled her hair, as it had become a habit. Areum was so adorable he could not resist.

"Thanks again Chanyeol" Areum smiled.


"Areum-ah. Are you out of your mind?!" Kyungsoo shrieked. 

"Kyungsoo-ya..."

"No! I don't approve that!" Kyungsoo shook his head. Areum was crazy! Never a Quera lived in Human World before. They had different lifestyle. Even their time was different.

"Kyungsoo-ya...I have to stay there. That's the only way I can help Baekhyun" Areum murmured. 

"Do you have to go this far? What's so special about that boy? You love him?" Kyungsoo riled up. This was too much.

"Kyungsoo-ya...I've told you right? His life was pathetic. A good man like him deserves happiness in his life. Besides, he offered me his help despite I'm a stranger to him. I think it's time for me to pay his kindness" Areum explained, lowering her gaze.

Kyungsoo sighed. He knew better that Areum was a persistent woman. It was hard to change her mind once Areum made her mind. Kyungsoo always the one who gave in. He only had one best friend anyway. Areum was the only girl he would never win against. This time it was no different.

"What can I help you?" Kyungsoo relented. Touched, Areum pulled Kyungsoo into her arms, totally forgot about Wolfie that was resting on her lap causing the dog to fall flat on its body. Shocked, Wolfie woke up and budged to his basket.

"Thank you so much Kyungsoo-ya! Love you so so so much!" Areum hugged Kyungsoo tightly that Kyungsoo struggled for his breath.

"I can't breathe! Let go!" Kyungsoo shoved Areum away, bringing Areum to a giggle. 

"Okay. Tell me what you want before I change my mind" Kyungsoo threated. Areum took a lungful of air before telling Kyungsoo her long-listed wish.

"I want you to check on Baekhyun's profile. You can access the data easily don't you? How many times he has crashed Drowte, his Qweit level and anything related, tell me. Then, tell me everything about Human World. You excelled in human's regarding subject right? Then, I need your backup if my parents asked about me. Tell them I live with you for a while to improve my Drowte" Areum finished in one breath.

Kyungsoo widened his eyes.

This girl was crazy!

...

"Where does she go?" Baekhyun asked Chanyeol as he served a cup of coffee. 

"She didn't tell anything but I guess she had something urgent to do. She was in hurry" Chanyeol answered as he sipped the coffee. 

Ever since Areum left, Chanyeol felt a tad lonely as if he never lived alone before. Even though the girl only stayed for three days, without he noticed Areum already left a huge impact on him. So here he was, at Baekhyun's apartment in the middle of the night looking for someone to talk to. Chanyeol could visit Beomseok as well.

"Will she come back?" Baekhyun asked after getting his father who was watching his favorite show in the living room. Chanyeol stood up and helped scooting the chair for Baekhyun's father to sit.

"She said she'll come back after 3 days" Chanyeol answered after getting back to his seat. 

Baekhyun let out a sigh of relief. He wanted to thank Areum for the comfort she offered to him. Baekhyun did not remember thanking her after she accompanied him that evening. He was too frustrated that time. He needed to show his gratitude.

"Dad, this coffee is hot. Blow it first before you drink. Got it?" Baekhyun reminded his father as he handed a cup of coffee to his old man. Beomseok's eyes shone in excitement.

A surge of memory flooded into his memory. Baekhyun remembered clearly when his father was healthy, his father would buy coffee every morning. His favorite drink was coffee. He even dreamt of becoming a barista if he was not a businessman.

"Areum said she wants to stay with me" Chanyeol continued. Baekhyun almost spit out the coffee he was drinking. He threw an incredulous look to Chanyeol.

"I know it's surprising. Don't look at me like I've done a violent crime" Chanyeol jabbed Baekhyun's cheek lightly. Baekhyun rolled his eyes.

"So what-"

"Hot! Beomie burnt his tongue!" Beomseok startled Baekhyun and Chanyeol. He fanned his tongue like it would alleviate the pain. Baekhyun immediately went back to the kitchen to get cool water.

"I've told you it's hot!" Beomseok gulped the whole glass of water that Baekhyun handed to him. Chanyeol stared at the father and son. Deep in his heart, he was praising Baekhyun for his patience in nursing his mentally disabled father.

"Sorry, where are we earlier?" Baekhyun asked as he settled down.

"Areum" Chanyeol chortled.

"Yes! Areum!" Baekhyun clicked his finger.

"Ummm..I think it's not a bad idea though. She can make a good company. So I let her" Chanyeol remarked. 

"See who's cared for Areum now. I remember you said you did not trust her" Baekhyun snickered. Chanyeol stucked out his tongue, mocking Baekhyun.

"I don't ca-"

Baekhyun's ringtone halted Chanyeol. Baekhyun's phone was placed on the dining table, allowing Chanyeol to see the caller ID. Going against Chanyeol's expectation, Baekhyun rejected the call right away. The man continued sipping his coffee like nothing happened.

"What's that? Are you having a couple-fight with Yejin?" Chanyeol raised a brow.

"Nothing" Baekhyun denied.

"Baekhyun-ah..." Chanyeol tried to meet eyes with Baekhyun who was avoiding his gaze.

Chanyeol could see through Baekhyun's lie. It was obvious they were fighting! Baekhyun never rejected any call from Yejin. Even if that guy had something urgent, he would take the call and asked Yejin to call him back later. Now that he rejected her call, something really had happened.

Something crossed in Chanyeol's mind. If he looked back, when he picked Areum up at the park yesterday, Baekhyun's expression did not look so good. Of course he could notice that! It was just he waited for Baekhyun to tell him. Chanyeol felt that it pertained with Yejin. Something must have happened at the park. Areum was behaving weird too at that time.

"Fine" Baekhyun gave up. Their 20 years of friendship prohibited him from hiding something from Chanyeol. Did not have any option, Baekhyun revealed the incident at the park. 

"What the hell-" Chanyeol lost at words. He did not expect Yejin would do something like that towards Baekhyun. They had dated since high school!

"I don't know what should I do" Baekhyun ran his fingers through his hair. A sigh could be heard.

"Maybe you should meet her. Ask the truth or you'll be forever cheated" Chanyeol suggested. He could not fathom why fate hated Baekhyun so much. Baekhyun was the kindest guy he ever met in this world! Despite that, misfortune kept chasing after him.

"I don't know...." Baekhyun crossed his arm on the dining table and bumped his face in it. Then, the guy felt a hand patted him on his head. Slowly, Baekhyun lifted his head up. It was his father. 

"Don't be sad Hyunie..Beomie will be sad too" Beomseok's words touched Baekhyun to the point he wanted to cry. Gulping, Baekhyun held his tears. As much as Baekhyun, Chanyeol also touched by Beomseok. Baekhyun took his father's hand and planted a kiss on it.

"No, I'm not sad dad. I'm fine...I'm really fine.."

...

Baekhyun wiped the last cup and placed it on top of the stack. It was an exhausting day for Baekhyun and Minseok. Two of their coworkers did not come to the cafe and automatically increased the works. Luckily there were not so many customers or else they would pass out.

Sure there was nothing left in the sink, Baekhyun then arranged all the cups and plates he had cleaned earlier at the respected place. Using a small towel hung on his shoulder, Baekhyun wiped the sweat that trickled down his sideburn.

Out of sudden, Minseok entered the kitchen. His expression did not look good to Baekhyun. No, Minseok never smiled at him. Baekhyun could not figure out what had he done that Minseok loathed him so much. Despite Minseok's rude behavior, Baekhyun smiled and paced closer to the older one.

"Yes hyung?" Baekhyun asked politely.

"Waaahhh. You must like it to have two girls at a time don't you?" Minseok snickered.

"Huh?" Baekhyun furrowed in bafflement. This hyung always so hard to be deciphered.

"Stop playing innocent brat" Minseok huffed, crossing his arm.

"There, your another girlfriend come to see you" Minseok gestured to the front. Baekhyun craned his neck to peek over Minseok's shoulder. A familiar figure came into his view.

"I know that...yeah..it's fun to have two girls but please don't date when you're working. I-"

"Excuse me hyung" Baekhyun walked pass Minseok, did not even bother to listen. The girl intrigued him more. 

"Ya! Byun Baekhyun! I'm not done with you!" Minseok enraged, getting ignored by Baekhyun.

It was almost the closing time. There were only two couples left in the cafe. Baekhyun did not have to rush. He walked closer to the girl who was having her back at him. His heart felt like it wanted to leap out of his chest. Taking a lungful of air, Baekhyun prepared himself.

"Yejin" Baekhyun called out her name which seemed stuck at his own throat. Yejin turned around, excited to see Baekhyun.

"Oppa! I mi-"

"Let's talk outside" Baekhyun grabbed Yejin by her wrist and led her outside of the cafe. 

Once they were outside, Yejin wrapped Baekhyun's neck and buried her face in Baekhyun's shoulder. The urge to embrace Yejin was raging inside him. He missed Yejin like crazy but the scene at the park kept replaying in his head, holding Baekhyun back.

"I miss you so much.." Yejin soft's voice hit his eardrum.

Baekhyun pulled Yejin away from him, surprising the latter. Yejin could not help but throwing him a perplex look. Baekhyun never resisted. Instead, he would be the one who started all the skinship usually. Yejin sensed something was wrong.

"Oppa...why-"

"Yejin-ah, I don't have much time so I want to go straight to the point. Answer me, who is the guy with you at the park two days ago? I thought you have work overseas?" Baekhyun swallowed hard. It hurt the guy that he needed to repeat the fact.

"Oppa, what are you talking about?" Yejin denied. Cold sweat already running down her spine.

"Answer me" Baekhyun try to remain his calm demeanor despite the fact that this girl was totally gotten on his nerve.

"Waaaah..This is how you treat me after I've gone for so long? Missing me? Missing me my ! You don't even trust me!" Yejin tried to stomp away but Baekhyun was fast. He blocked her way.

"Don't try to escape. Don't change the topic. Tell me, who's that guy?!" Baekhyun's voice raised, startling Yejin. The girl huffed. 

"What guy?! I've told you, I don't-"

"I saw it Yejin! I saw it with my own eyes! You think I won't recognize my own girl?! I know it's you Yejin. I know it's you! So don't you even try to deny and tell me who's that guy!" Baekhyun's chest moved up and down indicating how mad he was. Yejin gulped. There was no point to hide anymore.

"So you saw it. I shouldn't meet him there" Yejin smirked. Baekhyun felt like collapsing.

"So it's true...Yejin-ah, how-"

"What?! For your information, that guy is the one who's after me! At first I want to ditch him. Why? Because I love you! But look how you treat me nowadays. You're always busy! Try to remember when is our last date?! A month ago? Months ago? I miss your touch. I want to be like a normal couple. Date until late night, watching movie without getting disturbed, calling each other every night. I want all that oppa...but you.." Yejin sputtered.

"So you look for that man because he can give you all the things I can't give to you?" Baekhyun clenched his fist.

"I will break up with him if you can-"

"Let's break up"

 

 

I know I take it too long TT but I'm busy with school ugh. by the way thanks for reading and subscribing XOXO feel free to comment =D