Chapter 25

13:00 am

Baekhyun threw his gaze to Areum who was hugging her knees on his bed. A surge of guilt struck the man. His selfishness, his recklessness brought Areum to the deepest of her pit. He was responsible of what had happened to that girl.

Areum lifted her head upon hearing steps getting nearer. Baekhyun with concern prominent on his face greeted her sight. Areum gave the man a faint yet weak smile which wrenching the man even more. Baekhyun placed himself next to Areum before pulling her into his embrace. The tears Areum had been holding the entire times just burst out.

"I'm sorry Areum. It's my fault. If I--" Baekhyun halted when Areum suddenly pulled away from him. Areum wiped her tears.

"Its not about me Baekhyun. It's about you. I can't give you my life. I can't make your life longer. You have one day left! You're going to die! I can't see you anymore. How am I suppose to--" Baekhyun silenced Areum with a kiss.

"Hey beautiful, listen to me" Baekhyun pulled away and cupped Areum's face, caressing her cheeks feebly. 

"I promise I will leave you with good memories only and please promise me, you'll find a good guy to take care of you. I'll be watching you from up there, uhm?" Baekhyun pointed his index finger to the direction of sky. Fail to refrain herself, Areum burst into tears again.

Baekhyun wrapped his arms around Areum and hugged the girl tight. Baekhyun's hand traveled to her hair and it with fond. Pulling Areum away, Baekhyun held the girl by her shoulder. Areum had her head down as she could not look Baekhyun in his eyes. The pain was just unbearable.

Lifting her chin up, Baekhyun took a good look at his girl's face. Tears were rolling down her cheeks, her eyes and nose were red from all the cries. It was wrenching his heart but just for that night, he would let her cried. Bringing his thumb to her cheeks, Baekhyun wiped her tears. Bringing her face forward, he pressed his lips against her forehead, pretty much longer as he tried to remember its lingering sweetness.

"And please beautiful, let me see your smile before I close my eyes and not your tears"

...

Never did cross her mind that smiling would be the hardest thing to do but it just did. Her heart, was torn to pieces but for the sake of her loved one, that girl tried her best to feign toughness when in reality, her pillar of strength had wobble. It was the last day she had with Baekhyun and ruining their last moment together was the last thing she would ever wish.

So there she was painting a smile on her face and so was Baekhyun. Feigning oblivion, both of them carried on their day as usual. Laughter was filling the air and their voices never silenced. It was like they were having so much fun just by cuddling in each other arms without any concern to bother.

When they were bored staying home, the couple went out. Hands locked in each others, both of them walked around the city. Playing the role as a tourist, they tried each vendor food that came to their sight, laughed at some ruckus by people and got amazed by everything as if it was their first time.

Without having a particular destination in mind, they just followed wherever their feet wish. Did not cross their mind that their feet would bring them in front of a massive yet familiar mansion where laughter and giggles could be heard from the outside. 

"Do you want to come in?" Areum's question however only met with a silence.

"Do you want to see your mom?" Areum asked. Disregarding Areum's question, Baekhyun fixed his gaze to the mansion in front of him. Refuse to force Baekhyun more, Areum just remained still. Only her hand was giving Baekhyun's hand in hers a light yet reassuring squeeze. Heaving a deep sigh, Baekhyun swirled his head towards Areum. 

"Let's go home" Baekhyun requested. 

"Are you sure?" Areum tried to discern the gaze in Baekhyun's eyes. The man nodded.

"I'm afraid if I see her, I can't let her go" Baekhyun muttered under his breath. His chest tightened as his mother's image appeared before his eyes. Did not want to push Baekhyun for something he did not want to do, Areum complied. With heavy steps, the couple made their leave.

I'm sorry I can't be a good son. I wish you a happy and blessed life. I forgive you and..

I love you, mom


...

Areum's eyes fluttered opened as the rays from the scorching sun hit her face, almost blinding her. It then dawned to her it was almost afternoon, judging from how the sun was positioned. Her gaze then fell to the man beside her. His arm was wrapping her body. His eyes were closed tightly.

It somehow fazed her. Baekhyun was still alive, at least she wanted to believe that. Slowly, she brought her hand to Baekhyun's face. Caressing his cheek, Areum tried to wake her man up. Adrenaline started to gush throughout her vain when her action met a dead silence. This should not be happening. 

Tapping Baekhyun's cheek lightly, Areum hoped for a respond but to no avail. The man still had his eyes closed. Tears started to form at the corner of her eyes. She did not want to believe that the man that she loved had gone. She was not ready. She thought she was prepared but she was wrong. Areum was afraid. Again, she tapped his cheek a little bit stronger. 

"Baekhyun-ah, wake up" Areum muffled.

"Byun Baekhyun!" Areum wailed. Her cheeks were already soaked with tears.

"Why are you so noisy? I'm sleepy. Let me sleep a bit more" Baekhyun mumbled, almost incoherent but more than enough to unleash the weight on Areum's chest. Areum brought her fist to Baekhyun's chest and hit him hard, causing the man to groan in pain. A chuckle slipped from his tongue.

"Ya! It's not funny!" Areum hissed. 

"I thought you're dead. Do you know how scary I was?" Areum muffled in her cry. Her eyes were red from the tears.

"Fine, fine. I'm sorry okay? Come here" Baekhyun pulled her closer and bumped her head to his broad chest. Planting a kiss on her forehead, Baekhyun soothed Areum. 

"Let me sing you a song, uhm?" Baekhyun cleared his throat before he sang. In seconds, the air was filled with Baekhyun's sweet voice, as he hit each note perfectly. Baekhyun patted Areum on her back, lulling her. Tears rolled down her cheeks, as she snuggled closer to Baekhyun. Ending his lullaby, Baekhyun lifted Areum's chin up to face him.

"Still crying?" Baekhyun creased a smile. Areum shook her head.

"No, I'm not crying anymore" Areum wiped her tears hastily. Baekhyun let out a chuckle as he nuzzled Areum's nose with his. Pressing his lips against Areum's forehead, Baekhyun planted a kiss on it passionately. His kiss then was dropped on Areum's nose. Baekhyun captured her lips before kissing the nape of her neck. Tears were forming at the corner of his eyes.

"Baekhyun-ah" Areum his hair as she allowed Baekhyun kissed her shoulder. She knew Baekhyun was crying. As if he did not get enough of it, Baekhyun captured her lips once again but deeper that both of them was running out of breath.

"I love you" Baekhyun muttered as tears rolled down his cheeks. 

"I love you too" Areum managed to say before locking their lips again. Baekhyun's hand travaled to her head and her back, pulling her closer. Areum's hand surrounded Baekhyun, wrapping him in her as she kissed him deeper and deeper that she did not want them to stop. 

Their kiss however was bringing more tears to them.

...

"Do you really have to ask Hyoju ahjumma to look after me?" Baekhyun leaned his body against the door frame, crossing his arm. Discontent was prominent on his face.

"Yes definitely" Areum nodded as she put on her outerwear. There was no way she was letting Baekhyun out to the dangerous world. Not when he was due to die that day. To her knowing, Mr Grim reaper was not a decent man who had pity. At least, she tried to delay him.

"But I'm a grown-up man" Baekhyun rebutted.

"No" Areum insisted. Baekhyun paced closer to Areum and back hugged her.

"Please...let me follow you. I'm bored" Baekhyun cooed as he burried his face in Areum's shoulder. Areum turned around and gave him a peck on his cheek.

"I'm going okay? I'll be back as soon as possible" Areum smiled before turning on her heels and stepped out. Her pace however met to a halt when Baekhyun's grasp was latching on her arm. Areum swirled around to see Baekhyun was pointing on his lips. Areum rounded her eyes.

"Then I'm not letting you go" Baekhyun feigned being sulky. Areum sighed but still tiptoed and gave a peck on Baekhyun's lips. The man smiled contentedly. Areum let out a chuckle before making her way out.

"Areum" Baekhyun called out her name. Swirling her head, Areum quirked her brow.

"I love you" Baekhyun said. His eyes were filled with sorrow. It made it hard for Areum to leave her man. Nevertheless, Areum mouthed 'I love you' and went out. She needed to hurry up since Baekhyun's apartment was a little bit far from the convenience store.

Little did she know, a pair of eyes were eyeing her.

...

The plastic bag in Areum's hand fell to the ground, spilling its content but the girl did not care less. Her eyes were fixed on the building in front of her which was caught on fire. It was an utter hustle. Scream could be heard here and there. People were running for their life and firemen were dashing to the second floor where the fire started.

And Baekhyun's was on that floor. Areum blinked hard as she tried to keep her composure. Her eyes roamed around the crowd in case they would caught Baekhyun. The black, thick smoke however hindered her sight. Her knees felt so weak that she staggered as she walked. She wandered around aimlessly just to bump shoulders with the victims, causing her to fell on her knees.

"Is there any life lost?" Areum could hear some people talking behind her. She turned her head around to see two officers were talking to each other.

"Two people sir. A middle age woman and a man in his twenties" the other officer informed. 

Areum could felt her heart tightened. Drop of tears started to trickle down her cheeks. Baekhyun's voice before she left kept ringing in her head, bringing more tears to her. 

I love you. 


I promise I will leave you with good memories only and please promise me, you'll find a good guy to take care of you. I'll be watching you from up there, uhm?

Areum looked up to the vast sky. As if Baekhyun was looking at her, Areum tried to put a smile on her face but ended up crying even more. 

Baekhyun, you're watching me right now, right? Thank you for your existence in my life. It meant a lot to me. Thank you for your love. And I promise I'll take care of myself. Please be happy up there. I love you Byun Baekhyun. 

 

 

 

 

Okay, I'm not crying.. I'm not-- TT Why am I crying over my own story? Whatever! Okay there's a chapter left. An epilogue. This epilogue is going kokobop~ Comments and feedbacks are highly appreciated =)) 

P/s: I'm in love with Baekhyun's voice in walking on memories. Why that song is so good? TT wait, I just love everything about Byun Baekhyun LOL