Chapter 16

13:00 am

The evening at Hangang park was enthrally beautiful with shades of yellowish orange, coming from the sun that was waiting for the right time to set. Children was playing joyfully, riding their bike and chasing one another. 

At a bench, a man was watching them as if they were in sort of play. In his sorrowful heart, only God knew how much he wished he could be bestowed with happiness like those children. Playing around as if they were shielded from all cruelty of the harsh world he lived in.

For the nth times, a sigh escaped from Baekhyun's thin lips. It had been three days since Chanyeol was gone but it was all seemed vivid to Baekhyun. It was hard for him to accept the fact that someone who was a mother, a father, a brother, a friend to him was already gone.

"Chanyeol-ah, I-I'm so sorry. I-I didn't mean to-" Baekhyun lowered his head, could not afford himself to look at Chanyeol who was laying weakly on the bed.

"Oh my god Baekhyun-ah. It's fine!" Chanyeol let out a chuckle which had lost its mirth.

"Baekhyun-ah, hey look at me! Don't you want to look at my handsome face?" Chanyeol attempted to crack a joke to lighten up the mood. However, it only made Baekhyun cried.

"Baekhyun-ah. Lift your head, please." Chanyeol muttered under his heavy breath. He hated to see Baekhyun's tears but he hated it more when Baekhyun cried because of him.

With all the strength he could muster, Chanyeol lifted his hand and placed it on top of Baekhyun's head. Feeling Baekhyun's hair against his skin, Chanyeol it gently, soothing his one and only best friend which was impossible for him once he closed his eyes forever.

"Baekhyun-ah, I have some favors to ask. Can you do them for me?" Chanyeol asked. Lifting his head up, Baekhyun brought Chanyeol's hand into his and held it tightly as if his life depends on it.

"Anything Chanyeol. Anything" Baekhyun answered while looking into Chanyeol's eyes. Chanyeol smiled even though smiling was the hardest thing to do in the pain he was bearing.

"Reconcile with your mom. She misses you. And, she still loves you Baekhyun. Forgive her. I know it's hard, but try" Chanyeol paused, gauging Baekhyun's reaction. The man remained silent so Chanyeol decided to resume.

"And Areum, please take a good care of her. She cares about you a lot"


A light tap on the shoulder brought Baekhyun back from his trance. Areum came into his view as he swirled his head around. A smile was adorning her face. Fixing his gaze to the girl, Baekhyun's eyes followed Areum as she placed herself beside him.

Moving closer to Baekhyun, Areum brought the man into her arms, channeling as much strength as she could. Three days, the man in her embrace dwelled in the past where Chanyeol still existed in the world. 

In Areum's warm yet comforting embrace, Baekhyun cried.

Again.

Chanyeol, I miss you....

...

Taking off his spectacles, Kyungsoo massaged the bridge of his nose. The man was suffering from a light headache from all the papers stacked on his table. It was the end of the month and he got bountiful of reports to do.

Tired of sitting down for almost 2 hours, Kyungsoo got up from the swiveled chair. He straightened out his arms, loosening his tightened muscle. Sparing a look at the watch on his wrist, Kyungsoo's eyes widened in surprise.

A curse slipped out his lips as it was dawned to him that it was only 5 minutes to 13.00. He was too drown in his works to the extent he did not even realize he was taking too much time on reports. 

To his luck, he was already at Skyte. Kyungsoo let out a sigh of relief. His decision to come early was proven to be a right decision after all. If he finished his works at home, he was sure he would be running madly, chasing after the fast ticking time.

Now that he was already at Skyte, all he needed to do was looking for the human he was in charge of. Hastily, Kyungsoo took out a tablet from his drawer amd checked out his duty. After tapping a few icon on the screen, a list of human appeared.

And one of them was Baekhyun.

...

 

Kyungsoo watched as Baekhyun channeled his Qweit to the Drowte in front of him. The diamond shone brightly, blinding anyone who came to see but not to Kyungsoo. Being a Quera for years more or less made him used to it.

It did not last long as the light became dimmer and dimmer. Soon after, it vanished. The Quera stared blankly at the uncrashed Drowte, indicating that the Qweit was inadequate. Unwittingly, Kyungsoo burried his nail into his palm, forming a fist.

Out of his mind, he grabbed Baekhyun by the collar and bumped Baekhyun's body against the wall. Kyungsoo gritted his teeth in rage. He himself did not know what exactly riled him up, the fact Baekhyun did not able to crash his Drowte despite Areum's efforts or the fact that he lost Areum because of Baekhyun.

"You! You-" Kyungsoo could not continue his words despite the raging emotions in him, just waiting to be spurted out. His eyes pierced into Baekhyun's. 

Slowly, he loosened up his grab and let the human go. Kyungsoo turned his back towards Baekhyun, trying to calm himself. After heaving a few deep breath, Kyungsoo swirled around, facing Baekhyun.

"What the hell is wrong with you? Why is it so hard to crash this Drowte?" Kyungsoo pointed his index finger to the diamond. It was not like he did not know Baekhyun could not respond, but Kyungsoo just could not hold himself from saying all the things he could not say before.

"Do you know how much Areum has done for you? She even leaves her family for you. She-" Kyungsoo took a lungful of air before he resumed.

"She leaves me..." Kyungsoo bit his lower lips as those words came out. He did not expect it to be this hurt to blurt out that sentence.

Baekhyun stood still, did not even aware of the enraging Quera in front of him. His eyes were filled with blankness, showing no emotion in them. Kyungsoo knew it was stupid of him for saying all those things to Baekhyun as he was well aware that Baekhyun was in his subconscious mind.

Sauntered towards the keypad appeared on the wall, Kyungsoo then keyed in some data to be sent to the headquarter. Pressing the release button, Kyungsoo let Baekhyun go. He watched as the human left the cell, back to Human World where he belonged.

A loud thump was echoing inside the cell as Kyungsoo's fist met the wall. It was hurt that it bled but could never surpass the pain inside his heart. It could not be denied that the man was mad. Yes, Kyungsoo was angry, mad and disappointed.

At whom?

Areum?

Baekhyun?

Maybe, but....

Kyungsoo was angry at himself more than he was angry at anyone else.

...

Areum pulled the curtain, allowing sun rays to penetrate the transparent window. She straightened out her arm, basking herself in the sunlight. The girl closed her eyes, revel in the warmth.

After having some moments for herself, Areum made her way out of her bedroom. It was dead silence. Her ears caught nothing but her own steps, making their way to the kitchen. 

Opening the refrigerator, the cool sensation touched Areum's skin. Her eyes then caught a bottle of coke, luring her to have a taste of it. However, her intention was hindered when her eyes halted at a carton of milk. A voice rang in her mind.

Areum-ah. Don't just drink coke. You need milk, skinny girl

Areum pursed her lips to the piece of memory left by Chanyeol. It then turned to a smile as she reached for the milk and sipped some of it. She then strode to the dining table, bringing along the milk in her hand.

The image of Chanyeol smiling at her in his dark blue apron appeared before her eyes. She could see Chanyeol making her breakfast, looking as bright as ever. She could even hear his chuckle, sounded so vivid that Areum was wondering whether she was dreaming or not.

As much as Baekhyun, Areum was affected with Chanyeol's death. Particularly when she was in Chanyeol's condominium which Chanyeol left for her to be taken care of. She could see that man everywhere, frustating her.

A sigh escaped her lips. Areum's appetite to have her breakfast, lunch to be exact as she wake up at 12, had died. Instead of a proper meal, Areum got herself a piece of paper and a pen. She settled herself on the couch in the living room and started scribbling some notes on the paper.

"Kyungsoo-ya. Why fate is so cruel towards Baekhyun? Can't he be happy like anyone else?" Areum spoke her thought to her best friend. After soothing Baekhyun for a few days, she decided to visit Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo let out a sigh. Delight in his eyes for seeing Areum vanished as soon as the talk of Baekhyun came out. He was about to ditch that man from his mind but Areum was not a help at all. 

"Areum. Can we not talk about this?" Kyungsoo snorted. Displeasure could be traced from his tone.

"Kyungsoo-yah. Why are you being like this suddenly?" Being dense as ever, Areum asked a question that match the level of eternal stupidity. Kyungsoo felt like face palming himself.

"It's nothing Areum. It's fine. Okay, where are we just now? Why fate is cruel towards Baekhyun right? Okay in my opinion, it was his choice to not be happy" Kyungsoo diverted Areum's attention from his question, refused to tell Areum that he met Baekhyun in Skyte that night.

"His choice?" Areum blinked in bafflement.

"Yeah. Everyone has their own misfortune. Nobody is perfect. So, it depends on them themselves to live with that imperfection. How they survive and how they deal with that. Baekhyun, he just, stucked in that past. He, ran away. He himself refuses to face his problems and choose not to deal with it. Tell me, how can he be happy?" Kyungsoo ended his explanation with a question for Areum to answer.

"Then what should I do?" Areum muffled. She had her head lowered, almost gave up. 

Kyungsoo heaved a deep breath. This girl really knew how to hit the soft spot in his heart. He hated to admit that he was shaken merely by hearing that dejected tone in her voice. 

"Areum. Look at me" Kyungsoo held Areum by her shoulder and shook the girl lightly, trying to grab her lost spirit.

"I hate it when Baekhyun steal my time with you but I hate it more when I see you like this. You said you want to help him don't you? You want to be useful to someone don't you? You can't stop in the middle of your fight Areum. Make your sacrifice worth! I know you can do it. For now, just do anything that can make him happy. Anything that can make him forget his best friend for a while. And then, you talk to him about solving his problems. I know he'll listen to you" Kyungsoo looked straight into Areum's eyes.

"Kyungsoo-ya..." Areum bumped herself into Kyungsoo's arm and burried her face in Kyungsoo's chest. 

Kyungsoo swore his body was numb for a while before he could process what was happening. Slowly, the man hugged Areum back. He patted Areum on her back awkwardly like it was the first time he was doing so. His heart was beating crazily that he almost died of heart attack.

Worried Areum might heard the thumping heart of his, he pulled Areum away. Areum gave Kyungsoo the sweet smile of hers, melting Kyungsoo even more. The man was having a hard time refraining himself from doing things that could make his heart behaved abnormally. 

"Okay. So now go. I need to go to work" Kyungsoo chased Areum away. 

If Areum stayed any longer, he afraid he would do something out of control. Oblivious on what was playing in Kyungsoo's mind. Areum leaned on Kyungsoo's shoulder and locked Kyungsoo's arm in hers.

"Thank you Kyungsoo. You always know how to comfort me" Areum chined up to look at Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo cleared his throat and looked away. Dear heart, stay strong. Just stop beating so fast!

"Okay okay whatever. Now let me go. I'm late" Kyungsoo pulled away from Areum. He grabbed his car key and left, did not even bother to look back at Areum who was giggling.

"Aigooo that friend" 

Done jotting some notes on the paper, Areum put down the pen. Satisfied, Areum smiled to herself. Her eyes skimmed through the lines on the paper, checking the notes once again. Things-to-do to make Baekhyunie happy! Areum's lips curled upward, forming a smile as she read the line.

With determination, she folded the paper neatly. Areum made a promise to herself. She would not give up until Baekhyun could lengthen his life. She had enough with Chanyeol. It hurt to lost someone and she did not want the same thing to repeat. 

Not with Baekhyun

...

Baekhyun stepped on the brake as Jongin's school came into his view. Hongbin had assigned him to pick up Jongin because Goeun had an event to attend, which relieved Baekhyun. At least, he would not see that woman when he dropped Jongin later. 

After Chanyeol had passed away, Baekhyun was keeping his distance from Goeun. If Goeun was in the mansion, he would stay outside. When Goeun was outside, he would stay in the car. It was not like he refused to fulfill Chanyeol's last wish but he was not ready.

Parking the car near the school gate, Baekhyun then glanced at the digital clock in front of him. The man smiled to himself as he found that he arrived just on time. This meant he did not need to wait for so long. Soon after, he could see students pranced out, looking genuinely happy that the school period had ended.

Craning his neck, Baekhyun looked for the sight of Jongin. A minute became 5 minutes and 5 minutes became 10 minutes until it was 20 minutes since the school had ended. Jongin never late and that boy would text him if he was going to.

Baekhyun tried his best not to think about it too much but he could not help himself from doing so. The man himself did not know what was going on in his heart actually. He did not know since when he was concern about Jongin. 

Still keeping his ego, Baekhyun acted nonchalant. He closed his eyes, tried to give himself a nap while waiting for Jongin to show up. Baekhyun thought he was going crazy because he could see Jongin with that smile of him even though he closed eyes.

Baekhyun opened his eyes and glanced at the digital clock again.

And it was already 30 minutes..

But Jongin did not show up

 

 

Today is Baekhyun's birthday!!! Happy Birthday to our Baekhyunie! He has aged a year sob sob TT. Nevertheless I'm so happy I get to post this on his birthday yeay! I hope our Baekhyunie will stay healthy and happy always =)) #HappyBaekhyunDay

Image result for happybaekhyunday