chapter 2

13:00 am

"Song Areum...Come here" Mrs Song instructed. Stern tone could be found in her voice, shaking her only daughter a tad. 

With heavy and tightening chest, Areum trudged towards her parents. Something was off and the girl herself knew it pertained to her Drowte private class. It was not like she wanted to skip class, but the class was pointless. Improving was an impossible word for her.

"Sit" Mrs Song demanded, keeping her nonchalant demeanor. Mr Song in the other hand remained silent as he watched his daughter followed his wife's order.

"Your teacher called us earlier. She said you skipped her classes. Is that true?" Mrs Song interrogated. Areum's gaze lowered. Fear was keeping her from meeting her mother's scrutinizing eyes.

"I said...is that true Song Areum?!" Mrs Song's voice raised an octave, shocking the girl. 

Still keeping her gaze lowered, Areum nodded subtly almost unnoticeable. A huff reached Areum's ear and she knew better it was from her mom. Areum could see Mr Song placed his hand on his wife, calming the latter. A lump started to form inside Areum's throat without permission, waned the air path.

"Areum, why did you do that? Areum whom I know is an obedient daughter and a hardworking girl." Mr Song's soft voice hit Areum's ear.

"I'm just....not improving" Areum murmured with her lowered. The girl was too afraid to look at her mother's tight face.

"So you're saying you're lying to us?! Song Areum! Head up! Your mother is talking to you!" Mrs Song's thundering voice pierced through Areum's eardrum, causing the girl to have her head up immediately.

"I thought you went to your class, trying hard to improve yourself but.....you skipped your class, hanging out like nothing else to do! It's fine if you're the Best Quera but you.....can't even do the simplest Drowte!" Mrs Song halted.

"Eunbi ya!" Mr Song shouted her wife's name.

"Oh..Areum-ah...I'm so sorry..I shouldn't say that..." Mrs Song immediately apologized, knowing she had gone too far. Not even far but harsh as well.

Areum could not believe what she just heard. It was hard to believe those obnoxious words came out from her mother. The girl could tolerate if those words were thrown by other Quera but her mother, it was too much. Too much that her heart was pierced by thousands of thorns, causing it to bleed inside.

"Mom.....I don't care if other Quera insult me, I don't care if they step on me but...." Areum trailed off as she stood on her feet. Her lips quivered, suppressing the urge to cry.

"I don't think I can take it if it's you" Areum swirled around, showing her back to her parents. 

Hurt, Areum strode away. Her parents hollered out her name but their voices were swallowed by the wave of anger that was raging in Areum. The brokenhearted girl fastened her pace as she heard steps behind her, trying to chase after her. Not giving them a chance, Areum slammed the door and slide against it.

"Areum-ah...open the door sweetheart. I-I'm sorry dear. I know I've gone too far. Please forgive me. Areum-ah..." Mrs Song knocked the door a few times in hope her daughter would open the door.

"It's all your fault! You shouldn't..............." The argument between her parents could be heard behind her door. 

Areum's vision became blurred as the tears swell in her eyes. The girl buried her head into her knees and started to cry. Her painful cry soon turned into a sorrowful sob, wrenching every heart that listened. Her mind went vacant, her body went numb. The fact that the person who she depended on the most taunted her fell hard on her.

I'm useless....

I'm....useless..


...

 

Kyungsoo came home to find his parents' car was parked outside. The urge of turning back was overwhelming him but surprisingly, he refrained himself well enough that he was already in front of his door. Taking a lungful of air, Kyungsoo turned the knob and stepped inside. A tense air could already be felt by Kyungsoo.

"Good eve-"

"I don't want to waste my precious time so I want to go straight to the point" Mr Do crossed his arm. His gaze pierced through Kyungsoo.

"Your senior called me. He said you skip your class today" Mr Do resumed. 

"It's only a class dad! Besides I already pass the assignment to one of my students! It should not be a problem, right?" Kyungsoo tried to defend his helpless self. The man glanced to his mom who was sitting on the couch while crossing her legs, hoping to get some support.

"Should not be a problem you say?! Do Kyungsoo! Do you know, all eyes were on you? They want to bring you down son! They will bring out even the slightest mistake just to make sure you will fail! Do you even notice that?! Or you're just too blind to notice?" Kyungsoo's hope faltered right away. What was he thinking anyway? Of course his mom would be in his dad's side.

Kyungsoo's fist clenched tightly, burying his nails into his palm. He gritted his teeth suppressing his anger. The man was tired of all these talk. He knew how much his parents wanted him to get the Best Quera Awards just like them, but this was too much. He too, had his own life and desire. Robot was all he thought his parents tried to make out of him. Kyungsoo wanted to know the meaning of fun. He wanted to feel the pleasure of life. But...those words did not exist in his parents' dictionary.

"I don't want to hear any of these again! Or else....you have to live with us!" Mr Do threatened, disregarding his son's feeling.

Without sparing a look at their son, Mr Do stepped out of Kyungsoo's house. Mrs Do followed her husband, did not even care to sooth her only son who was hurt by his own parents. As the door banged shut, Kyungsoo fell on his knees. The man's knees felt so weak they could not even support his own body. He was having a mixed feeling. Anger, dejected, disappointment, all grinded well in a heart of his.

"What did I do so wrong?"

...

Kyungsoo woke up to the sound of his phone ringtone. Lazily, his hand fumbled on his nightstand to look for the phone. Kyungsoo's eyes remained close as if they did not want to let the man woke up. Get the grab of his phone, Kyungsoo touched the received button on the touch screen, did not even bother to look for the caller ID. A sound of crying woman welcomed him as he placed the phone against his ear.

"Kyungsoo-ya..." the familiar voice shot Kyungsoo up on his bed.

"Eommoni! Why are-"

"Kyungsoo-ya...I checked on Areum's room earlier and she was gone! Is Areum with you? She doesn't have any place to go except yours" Mrs Song's sob became harder.

The news that he just garnered put the man into a brief silence. Kyungsoo lost of words. He did not expect that the girl really mean her words. Kyungsoo ruffled his tousled hair. His eyelids shut close as he bit his lower lips. The short conversation he had with Areum last night flooded back in his mind. The surge of regret hit Kyungsoo hard. He should have listened to Areum.

Kyungsoo fumbled with his shirt button. He was late. The side of his eyes took a peek at the clock. 12.55 am. There was 5 minutes left but he was still in his wardrobe settling his attire. The man did not mind being late but didn't he expect the threat worked on him. Kyungsoo did not want to live with his parents. It spelled H.E.L.L. The man could not imagine being control and watch every time. He was not a kid anymore. 

As Kyungsoo wore his watch, a call arrived. With a grunt, he scurried to his bed and snatched his ringing phone. The man calmed down a little bit when he saw the caller ID. Placing his phone between his shoulder and his ear, Kyungsoo answered the call. 

"Yes Areum?" Kyungsoo still had half of his focus on his hand, wearing his sock. 

"I don't deserve to be Quera. I'm useless! My parents don't love me anymore! I feel like I want to runaway" Areum's complain bringing sigh from Kyungsoo.

"Areum-ah...we've talk about this right? You're not useless.." Kyungsoo soothed Areum as he grabbed his car key and went outside.

"Yes I'm! Even my mom said so!" Areum rebuked. 

"What do you mean by your mom said so?" Kyungsoo's brows knitted together. He took a lungful of air, tried to catch his breath as he managed to get in his car.

"My mom.....she said I-" 

"I got to go now Areum. I'll call you later okay. I'm so sorry" Kyungsoo did not have any other choice. He could not give his full attention to Areum as he heard the sound of the siren, occupying the air. I'm very damn late!

"O-okay. I'm sorry. I'm such a nuisance. Bye" Areum hung up the phone. Disappointment could be heard in her tone.

"Areum? Areum-ah?!" Kyungsoo called out her name only hearing the beep sound. Frustrated, the man stepped on the gas pedal. His car zoomed on the road, directing to the Skyte.


"Kyungsoo? Are you there?" Mrs Song's voice brought Kyungsoo back on earth. 

"Oh yes Mrs Song. I'm sorry. I just wake up" Kyungsoo scratched his head awkwardly.

"It's fine. So, is my daughter there? I said something a little bit oppressive to her yesterday" Mrs Song muttered. 

That was enough to explain the whole situation to Kyungsoo. He knew Areum well. He was sure the girl was really hurt this time and he regretted for not listening to her. The man knew what the girl wanted. Areum wanted to be alone. He guessed he could help her with that.

"Oh yes. She's with me. Don't worry Mrs Song. I'll take a good care of her. I'll talk to her" Kyungsoo lied.

"Oh god! Thank you so much Kyungsoo! Please say I'm so sorry" believed in Kyungsoo's words, Mrs Song was relieved.

"Yes sure" Kyungsoo replied convincingly.

After Mrs Song hung up the phone, Kyungsoo tried to dial Areum's number. No answer. Kyungsoo tried again but to no avail. Areum was out of reach. Throwing his phone aside, Kyungsoo rubbed his face. The man then massaged his temple, alleviating the sudden headache. 

Areum-ah...where are you?

...

The sun had shone brightly. People were having a hustle and bustle of life. The road was packed with vehicles, bus stop was crammed with people, students were running with all their might to school and among them there was a girl who was feeling peculiar with the whole situation. The girl had been walking the whole night. Her legs started to tremble but the girl refused to halt. 

Areum wanted to find somewhere less crowded. Being around human did not feel comfortable at all. The girl suddenly regretted for entering human world but erased that thought immediately. Areum was determined to be here. She did not deserve to be Quera. Here was she belonged. With that thought, Areum continued to walk. Walked and walked until her legs gave up.

Areum fell on the padded road. She blinked a few times to clear her blur vision. The girl tried her best to refrain the urge to cry. 

"Miss? Are you okay?" A sweet voice hit Areum's eardrum softly. She lifted her head up to take a look at the voice owner but her vision was blurred.

"Miss?" Areum tried to respond but soon, she was swallowed in a complete blackness.

...

"The doctor said your blood pressure is low" Areum lowered her head as she listened to the man beside her. 

"Song Areum" the nurse called out Areum's name.

"I'll take your medicine" The man flashed a smile and walked to the counter, leaving Areum in her seat.

Areum lifted her head. Her eyes roamed around the place, gauging every nook and crook of the clinic. There was not so much different compared to her world based on her preference. Her gaze then shifted to the man who helped her. He was not too bulky but not too skinny, strong enough to carry Areum here. The man returned to Areum.

"Here is yours" The man handed Areum a plastic containing medicine preferred by the doctor. The girl took the plastic slowly. Hesitation was overwhelming her. The girl never received drug from human world before and she admitted she was scared if something went wrong.

"Thank you" Areum murmured just enough for the man to hear. 

"The description is in there. I'm so sorry but I need to go" the man apologized. He still kept the sweet smile of his but it did not help to ease Areum. Panic started to attack Areum. The girl did not know anyone else but this man. He was the only one she could trust for now in this human world.

"By the way, my name is Baekhyun. Byun Baekhyun. Nice to meet you Areum" the man introduced himself before leaving Areum by herself. The girl wanted the man to stay beside her so bad but could not afford saying it. Her mind kept telling her to follow the man.

Unconsciously, Areum stood up and trailed behind Baekhyun. Baekhyun who did not notice Areum's presence kept on walking, heading to the cafe he worked in. He took a brief look at his watch. A gasp could be heard as he found himself very late. Baekhyun fastened his pace and same went to Areum. The girl did not want to lose the sight of Baekhyun.

Areum stared as Baekhyun entered a building across the road. The girl stood straight as she watched Baekhyun bowed a few times to a woman who she believed was his boss. Areum continued to watch. She observed each Baekhyun's action. Her neck craned if Baekhyun went behind the counter, refused to lose his sight. 

A smile creased on Areum's face as she saw Baekhyun smiled to the customers. His smile was a drug to her. The passer-by might think Areum was crazy but the girl did not care. For the first time of her life, she felt very happy to meet a person.

And....

 

that person was a human.