Chapter 21

13:00 am

"You must think I'm crazy right? Yes, I think I've gone crazy as well. Areum is not a human, there is another world beside ours, Qweit in us, all these do not make sense at all. Remember when Areum ate ramyeon for the first time? Now that I know she is not a human, I guess I can relate" Baekhyun let out a soft chuckle.

"Chanyeol-ah. I miss you" Baekhyun's stare was fixed at Chanyeol's picture. Beside it was their picture together when they graduated from highschool. Baekhyun bit his lower lips as the memories of theirs flooded into his mind.

"Baekhyun-ah! Come here!" Chanyeol hollered his best friend's name. His hand was holding a camera.

"What's up?" Baekhyun nudged Chanyeol's shoulder as always.

"Picture!" Kcakk!

"Ya! I'm not ready!" Baekhyun grunted, totally dissatisfied. 

"Like I care!" Chanyeol stucked out his tongue. Baekhyun tried to take the camera from Chanyeol but their height different was almost the distance of the sky and the earth. Okay, it was exaggerated but Chanyeol was indeed far away taller than him.

"You can't take it shorty" Chanyeol's boisterous laugh annoyed Baekhyun but somehow, Chanyeol's playfulness made the lad formed a smile on his face.


I miss you, Chanyeol-ah

...

Baekhyun did everything he want to do, for the sake of crashing his Drowte. He even asked a leave for a week from Hongbin just to spend time for himself. Giving a short vacation as an excuse, Hongbin gave his permission and Baekhyun was more than relieve that Hongbin did not ask further. 

There was not a single day which bored Baekhyun. And those days were shared with the girl that he loved. Just for a while, he wanted to be selfish. Baekhyun asked Areum to live with him and kept her by his side. He needed Areum to be happy. Areum was the sole reason he could smile again.

Waking up to Areum's voice, seeing the sight of his father and Areum played with each other, spending much more time with his father, Baekhyun was more than happy. In the evening, Baekhyun and Areum would take Beomseok out for a stroll, watched sunset together and then went home. 

Every day, Baekhyun would go to a different place and took Areum with him, giving the girl a little tour around Human World. They went from a walk in the city to an extreme sport. It had been a while since Baekhyun tried extreme sports because of his endless job. Having the chance to try them again, sending the man to cloud nine.

"Be careful" Areum reminded as she tightened Baekhyun's helmet. The man nodded in respond.

"Are you sure you don't want to try?" Baekhyun asked. Areum shifted her gaze towards the skyscrapper which held the activity for bungee jumping. In an instant, shudder ran down her spine. 

"Yes. More than sure" Areum assured. She could handle blob jump but not bungee jumping. It was too high for her. This guy really had no fear! They had done wall climbing, windsurfing and even watersports. Baekhyun was just unstoppable. Areum guessed the word extreme was made for him.

"Alright then. I'll see you later" Baekhyun flashed a smile as he turned around to face the challenge he yearned the most. Areum shook her head as she watched Baekhyun's excited face. Her eyes did not leave Baekhyun until that man made his fall.

"Areum-ah!!!!" Baekhyun hollered out Areum's name, catching the girl's attention as he jumped over. Baekhyun's scream reached Areum's eardrum. A soft chuckle escaped Areum's lips as she heard her name. She waved at Baekhyun. Proud was evidenced on her face.

Upon seeing Areum's smile, Baekhyun was more than satisfied. He did not need money, fame or people's recognition. Baekhyun just needed Areum and his father, Beomseok. He did not want to lose anyone anymore. Chanyeol was more than enough.

As his feet landed on the ground, Areum pranced towards him. Baekhyun guessed he had gone crazy. How could a smile melted him this much? He wondered if this was what they called heaven on earth. 

That week was the best week in his life.

...

 

Kyungsoo nodded in satisfaction after Baekhyun had finished channeling all his Qweit to the Drowte. Seeing more than half of the diamond was filled successively, the Quera's lips contorted to a smile. And he was not alone, as Baekhyun smiled excitedly as well. They exchanged a meaningful glance. With a light step, they left Skyte heading home.

"Thank you Mr Do" Baekhyun said as the mug in Kyungsoo's hand exchanged into his. Kyungsoo replied with a nod. 

"Congratulation Mr Byun. You did very well. I deem you can get your life lengthen in a week" Kyungsoo stated. A week was more than enough because Baekhyun's date of death was two weeks away. He just had to lengthen his life before that date.

"Thank you" Baekhyun beamed. 

"And don't forget your promise Mr Byun. You will return Areum to her place once your life has lengthen" Kyungsoo reminded. Like lightning striking him to death, Baekhyun's heart almost stopped beating. The happiness  that enfolded him that past week made him forgot the promise he had with Kyungsoo.

"I--I will" the thought of letting Areum go petrified him out of sudden. Discerning the flitting expression of Baekhyun, Kyungsoo heaved a deep sigh.

"Areum has gone too long. Her family needs her. You don't have the thought of keeping her beside you, do you?" Kyungsoo questioned.

"No, I don't" Baekhyun answered after a long vacillation as his heart and his rational mind were stumbled into a conflict he could never solve. His rational mind told him this was the best choice but his heart was telling him the otherwise which in the end put him in the state of pain. 

Contradictly, Kyungsoo was enraptured with delight. The answer he just heard spelled triumph. His long wait would end soon and he could reclaim his bestfriend. Just the thought of having Areum back had thrown him to cloud nine. Kyungsoo almost forgot how did happiness feel. Gladly, the happiness itself came to embrace him.

"Good"

...

You don't have the thought of keeping her beside you, do you?

"Baekhyun hyung!!" A loud holler cut Baekhyun from his trance, bringing him back to earth. The image of young boy in his school uniform came into his sight. Before Baekhyun could utter a word, the young boy jumped on him, causing him to stumble a few steps back. Jongin's arms were around his neck, almost strangling him to death. 

"I miss you hyung!!" Jongin cried out loudly he could collpase the whole mansion. He let Baekhyun go and beamed brightly. The young boy just could not hold himself back anymore. A week without seeing Baekhyun was a torture to him. Never crossed his mind that he would be lonely without Baekhyun's glares and whines.

"Well I don't" Baekhyun coughed as Jongin's embrace was too tight. 

"Aaaaa hyungggg" Jongin drawled. He pursed his lips, showing his overwhelming cuteness. As if Jongin has supernatural power, Baekhyun was casted by his spell. Baekhyun's tightened face slowly softened. 

"Babo" Baekhyun chuckled as he ruffled Jongin's bangs. Instead of being annoyed, Jongin was beyond delighted! He did not care his hair become disheveled. The fact Baekhyun just touched his hair was blinding him.

"Can I hug you again?" Jongin asked. Baekhyun scoffed to the request. Did not give up, Jongin battled his eyelashes, pouted his lips, shooting Baekhyun the aegyo he never showed to just anyone. Amused, Baekhyun let out a chuckle. 

Surrendered, Baekhyun raised both his hand to the air. Getting the permission, Jongin ran into Baekhyun, placing his arm around Baekhyun's waist and hugged the man tightly as if he would never let go. Baekhyun patted the young boy on the head before hugging him back.

"What a lovely sight here" a deep voice interrupted the rare scene. Baekhyun swirled his head towards the voice to find Hongbin was looking at them dearly. Baekhyun tapped Jongin on his shoulder, beckoning him to let him go but the young boy did not budge.

"Hongbin-ssi. Sorry. We're late, aren't we? I'll ready the car" Baekhyun tried to push Jongin away but that boy was persistent. Hongbin cackled to the sight in front of him. He knew his son really liked Baekhyun because he did not have older brother to play with. Having Baekhyun around was not bad after all.

"Jongin, enough son. Baekhyun hyung has to work now" Hongbin had to intrude both of them as Baekhyun's face had already turned a slight red from disconcertment. Begrudgingly, Jongin pulled away from Baekhyun, allowing Baekhyun to breathe comfortably.

Jongin's expression became dark as he had to part with Baekhyun so soon. He still missed Baekhyun. A hug was not enough. Caught Jongin's morphed expression, Baekhyun creased a smile. He pinched Jongin's cheeks lightly before pacing away, getting the car ready. A tug on his sleeve halted him.

"Wait hyung" Jongin opened his backpack and took out a lunch box. With a meaningful smile, he handed it to Baekhyun.

"It's fine" Baekhyun refused. Jongin shook his head as he insisted the older man to accept.

"I make it just for you. It's nothing though. Just a sandwich. Please...." Jongin beseeched. Sighed, Baekhyun took the lunch box in Jongin's hand hesitantly. 

"Thank you" Baekhyun thanked the boy before walking away. Hongbin who was watching the whole scene then advanced towards his son and ruffled his boy's hair. Planting a kiss on Jongin's forehead, Hongbin then followed behind Baekhyun's trail.

An arm surrounded Jongin's shoulder. The boy did not need to look up to see who was standing beside him. Jongin his mother's hand gently with his thumb. His eyes was fixed to his father's car until it disappeared completely from his sight.

"Mom, why didn't you give the sandwich to hyung by yourself?" Jongin asked.

"Because he won't accept it if he knows I make it for him" Goeun murmured. Pulling Jongin into her arms, Goeun hugged her son tight. 

"Jongin really likes you" Hongbin said as the car glided on the road. Baekhyun just remained silent.

"Let's have a dinner together tonight. Jongin will be very happy!" Hongbin suggested.

"I'm sorry but I have another promise tonight.." Baekhyun had to turn the offer down. He and Areum had promise to have dinner outside. If possible Baekhyun wanted to spend most of his time with Areum as he did not have much time left with Areum. Besides, Baekhyun did not ready enough to face Goeun again. 

"Really? Emm I guess maybe next time?" Hongbin asked.

"Yeah, maybe next time"

...

"Are you sure it's fine for us to dine out? Your dad looks very upset when we left" Areum brought out her concern towards Beomseok. The distaste expression on Beomseok face kept haunting her. Baekhyun sighed, feeling a tad regret.

"I know but, I just--" Baekhyun paused a while. Taking Areum's hand in his, Baekhyun clasped her hand tightly yet gently.

"I want to eat with you alone. Don't worry about my dad. Hyoju ahjumma will take a good care of him" Baekhyun gave Areum a reassuring look. Slowly, the girl curled up a smile. Areum nodded, trusting Baekhyun's words. 

The couple took a cab to the closest restaurant as Areum said it was better to be as close as possible to Beomseok in case anything happened. Did not have any reason to defy, Baekhyun light-heartedly complied. Areum was right after all. That was one of the charms that tugged his heart. A sincere concern towards his mentally-ill father.

They arrived to their destination about 15 minutes later. With their hands locked in each other, Baekhyun led Areum to a seat which was a little bit secluded so they could talk comfortably. They were about to place themselves on the seat when Baekhyun recognized someone so familiar sitting only a few tables away. Unwittingly, the man gulped nervously.

Discerning Baekhyun's sudden change of expression, Areum shifted her gaze towards Baekhyun's direction. Her eyes caught the sight of an elegant looking woman in an indigo dress with his hair dangling beautifully below her shoulder. That woman looked surprise, as much as Baekhyun and her. 

Yejin, Baekhyun's ex-girlfriend..

Suddenly, Areum was struck with jealousy. She became worried Baekhyun would fall for her again. She was afraid Baekhyun would not care about her anymore. She could not imagine Baekhyun caressing another woman other than her. Areum bit her lower lips as those thoughts inflicted her.

"Baekhyun-ah.." Areum tugged the hem of Baekhyun's clothes, tried to shake some sanity from Baekhyun who was obviously in daze.

"Y--yes? Ah sorry. Let's take a seat" Baekhyun pulled out the chair for Areum before taking his own seat. The situation became awkward out of sudden with Yejin sudden appearance at the same place. Baekhyun remained silent and so did Areum. Both had different thought playing in their mind.

Areum could not help from reliving Baekhyun's delightful expression when the talk of Yejin came out. The memories of Baekhyun showing her Yejin's photos, praising her like she was the only girl in this world were still vivid in Areum's mind. She still remembered how happy Baekhyun was back then when he and Yejin was a set. Maybe Yejin could make him happier. More than her.

"I need to go to the ladies" Areum excused herself. She could not bear looking at Baekhyun as those painful memories kept on replaying at the back of her mind. Baekhyun nodded, did not utter a word. Almost all of him just shut down and he felt bad for Areum. This night supposed to be the best night..

...

Cupping water from the tap, Areum then splashed the water on her face. She stared at her own reflection on the mirror as she tried to reorganize her thoughts. She had to be rational. She could not be selfish! If Yejin could make Baekhyun happier, she should be more than glad to help. The important thing was Baekhyun's happiness after all.

It was not like Baekhyun and her was in a special relationship. Baekhyun never said he loved her. Areum nodded frantically. Yes, Baekhyun might have feelings left for Yejin. They dated for many years and it was acceptable if they got back together. Areum knew her place. She was just a friend who Baekhyun cared about. Just like Chanyeol. She was helpless and clueless and Baekhyun might loved her just out of pity.

With that determine thought, Areum walked out from the ladies. To her dismay, Yejin was waiting for her. Her eyes was flaring and she looked like she would swallow her alive. Unwittingly, Areum gulped nervously. Areum tried to escape but Yejin was faster. She blocked the way and crossed her arms. 

"Who are you?" Yejin asked. Her voice was stern.

"I--"

"Wait wait. It's not important whoever you're. What is your relationship with Baekhyun?" Yejin changed her question. Indignation was significant in her face.

"Friend. We're just friend" Areum answered without hesitant. Yejin smirked.

"Okay! That's enough for me. In case you don't know. I'm his girlfriend and he really head over heels for me" Yejin placed her hand on her chest, completely proud for having a handsome man loving her dearly. Yejin turned around just to find that Baekhyun was standing right in front of her. His face was serious.

"What are you doing here with Areum?" Baekhyun shot Yejin a glare.

"Op--Oppa, what are-"

"I'm asking you what are you doing here with Areum?! Can't you hear me clearly?!" Baekhyun's thundering voice was shocking Yejin that she flinched in surprise. Nevertheless, the woman kept shut. Having her head down, Yejin avoided Baekhyun's flaring eyes.

"You can't speak now? Why? There are no more lies to tell?" Baekhyun scoffed. Yejin shook her head. She grabbed Baekhyun on his arm and clutched it tightly.

"Oppa I'm just--" Baekhyun yanked his arm harshly that the woman almost fell backward but Baekhyun did not care less.  

"My girlfriend? Head over heels for you? Funny" Baekhyun smirked sarcastically. Did not want his precious time wasted by Yejin, Baekhyun grabbed Areum's arms and pulled her closer to him.

"Don't you ever dare to show up in front of me anymore!" Baekhyun strode away with Areum trailing behind him. Her arm was still in Baekhyun's grasp. Yejin was left dumbfounded as she could not believe the scene played before her eyes.

...

When they arrived home, it was almost midnight. Traffic jam caused by an accident caused them to be late than expected. Luckily, Beomseok was sleeping soundly and did not cause any ruckus. Areum swore it was the most awkward situation she had ever been with Baekhyun. Sitting with mad Baekhyun in a cab for almost an hour was the worse thing ever.

Along the journey, Baekhyun's hand never let her go. He clutched her hand tightly as if she would run away and left him in the cab alone. Frankly, that was what she was thinking because the atmosphere was really tense and she could not fathom just why Baekhyun was so mad at her. Was he? So they just kept their mouth shut the whole journey home and drown in the awkward silence.

The awkwardness was inexorable even when they were home. Baekhyun still refuse to open his mouth. Without uttering a word, he checked on his father and then closed the door behind him, did not give a chance for Areum to say a word or spare a look at him. Could not stand it anymore, Areum just barged into the room.

"Baekhyun! What's wrong with you? Are you mad at me?" Areum bombarded Baekhyun with questions as soon as she stepped into his room.

"Ya! My father is sleeping!" Baekhyun who was about to take off his clothes rushed towards Areum and clamped his hand over Areum's mouth. Areum shot Baekhyun a dissatisfied looks.

"Let's talk outside" Baekhyun sighed. Areum complied and stepped outside. Baekhyun followed her behind and closed the door, refuse to let his father heard the noise which would wake him up.

"Baekhyun-ah, are you mad at me?" Areum's voice softened. Baekhyun remained silence.

"Are you mad because I treated Yejin wrong?" Areum asked unexpexted question which riled Baekhyun up.

"What are you talking about?!" Baekhyun bellowed.

"I don't know! What do you expect me to know? You just keep your mouth shut and do you expect me to know what is the real problem?! I--" Baekhyun's abrupt kiss halted Areum from continuing her sentence. Her heart started to beat off control. His lips tasted so sweet and Areum had a hard time to refuse. She wished it would not end as she found herself kissed him back. To Areum's disappointment, Baekhyun parted away.

"Why are you so dense?" Baekhyun chuckled. Areum blinked her eyes in confusion. As if Baekhyun heard Areum's wish, he locked their lips together again . His hand traveled to Areum's face. He tilted her head and kissed her deeper. As if she was casted, Areum closed her eyes and drown herself in Baekhyun's kiss as her arm surrounded Baekhyun's neck, embracing him tightly. Short of breath, both of them parted. 

"I love you Areum. I dont want anyone else. I just want you" Baekhyun's confession made her heart hammered against her chest even louder. Instead of giving him an answer, Areum tiptoed to match their height and kissed Baekhyun again. Areum could feel Baekhyun was smiling as he kissed her back. Baekhyun's hand traveled to Areum's back and pulled her closer.

That night, their hearts were beating as one, following each other rythm without leaving a single note.

 

 

Wow Baekhyun. You take 21 chapters to confess *facepalm