chapter 3

13:00 am

Baekhyun walked towards the glass door and turned the sign from open to close. Then, he made his way to the store and took a broom. Without wasting more time, the diligent man swept the whole cafe by himself. His coworker had gone long ago, saying he had something urgent to do. 

Done with the sweeping, Baekhyun took a rag and wiped the table stained with dirt. The man checked on his watch alternately, worried he was taking too much time on cleaning. Finished, Baekhyun took off his apron and placed it at the respected area. He looked around for the last time. Satisfied, Baekhyun smiled to himself.

"Done cleaning Mr Byun?" A woman interrupted, startling Baekhyun, causing the latter to flinch.

"O-oh yes Mrs Seo" Baekhyun replied but failed to hide his startle face. The woman chortled.

"Sorry I freak you out" Mrs Seo apologized to her favorite worker. She admitted she adored Baekhyun. His appealing attitude towards his work drew her attention.

"It's fine Mrs Seo. Is there anything more?" Baekhyun asked politely.

"No. You may leave now. Thanks for today" Mrs Seo gave her permission which delighted Baekhyun. 

Baekhyun gave his bow and left the cafe. He stretched his arm out, loosening his muscle. The man closed his eyes and took a lungful of air. Baekhyun checked his watch once again before looking forward. A frown formed on Baekhyun's forehead as he noticed a familiar girl across the road. The girl's gaze bore through him. With thousands of questions in his head, Baekhyun made his way to the girl.

"Areum-ah. What are you doing here?" Baekhyun creased a smile as he approached Areum, did not have a slightest idea that Areum had been waiting for him for hours already.

Areum admitted she was happy to hear his voice again. The girl felt her long wait was worth it. She got to talk with this guy again. This guy somehow attracted Areum in a way Areum herself did not know. Surely, it was a good way. Her eyes refused to take off from Baekhyun, observing his chiseled face.

"Areum?" Baekhyun waved his hand in front of Areum, tried to draw Areum's attention.

"Aa-aa yes" Areum scratched her head bashfully before resuming.

"I want to say thank you for earlier" Areum said while fidgeting her own fingers. Besides the feeling of in debt with someone, she felt a sort of new feeling. Meeting stranger never pleased Areum before. They always gave her those scrutinizing and gauging eyes like she was a monster. The story of her spread too fast in her neighborhood. But Baekhyun, he was different. 

"Oh, it's nothing" Baekhyun replied with a chuckle.

"Don't forget to take your medicine and watch your health girl. You're still young" Baekhyun continued. The smile on his face was making Areum felt reluctant to let him go.

Baekhyun was taking a step away when he felt a grip on his shirt. He swirled his head to see Areum was staring at him. Baekhyun turned his body, allowing Areum to face him. He cocked his brow.

"Why-"

"Can I go with you?"

...

"Are you sure she is harmless?" Chanyeol asked suspiciously. His eyes glued at Areum who was sitting on the couch not far from him and his one and the only best friend.

Chanyeol just came back from his studio when Baekhyun gave him a call. It was rare to get Baekhyun's call at that hour. Chanyeol was aware of his friend's schedule and so was Baekhyun. So when Baekhyun called with such a worrisome voice, Chanyeol knew something urgent came up. He thought it was girl-friend-pertained topic until Baekhyun arrived with a girl.

"Do you think she can do something dangerous?" Baekhyun answered with a question. Chanyeol turned his head. His eyes met Baekhyun's.

"No she doesn't. Yet" Chanyeol remarked. He still had doubt in him.

"Chanyeol-ah. Please. Let her stay here for a while. I can't let her stay at my place. You know the reason well don't you?" Baekhyun pleaded.

 

Chanyeol let out a sigh. He ruffled his hair, knowing he could never win against Baekhyun. Chanyeol shifted his gaze towards Areum. Baekhyun was right, he admitted that. That girl had this innocent yet expressionless demeanor with her. To be more accurate, the girl seemed baffled with the surrounding.

"Fine. I'll let her stay" Chanyeol announced his defeat. 

"Thanks Chanyeol" Baekhyun said as he placed his hand on Chanyeol’s.

...

Areum could not help but feel amazed with the new surrounding. This place of Baekhyun's friend was cozy yet calming. The scented candle placed in each nook and crook of his condominium emitted soothing atmosphere and Areum liked it. 

Areum's legs brought their owner to the sliding door. She pulled away the magenta colored curtain, revealing the breathtaking scenery hidden behind it. Areum swore her jaw almost dropped to a such wonderful view her eyes never experience. The colorful light emitted brightened the whole city.

"Beautiful isn't it?" Chanyeol's deep voice cut Areum's thought. With a coy smile on her face, Areum nodded.

Awkward silence suddenly occupying the air. It was strongly felt by both of them, but neither of them was taking any initiative. Unsuited with his bright nature, Chanyeol was slowly getting suffocated by the awkwardness. His brain tried to rack something to start a conversation.

"Baekhyun told me your name is Areum" Chanyeol finally managed to break the silence. Areum however failed to cooperate, just giving the man a slight nod.

"Emmm..my name is Park Chanyeol. Nice to meet you Song Areum" Chanyeol tried once more and it seemed worked. Areum diverted her attention to Chanyeol. 

"Nice to meet you too Chanyeol-ssi" Areum replied with a grin. 

Chanyeol extended his hand to give a shake and Areum gladly accepted. It did not take Areum so long to realize Baekhyun's absence. The girl's eyes wandered around looking for his figure. Panic could be seen in her eyes. Chanyeol who caught her roaming eyes, stifled his laugh. It was amusing to see a girl who relied too much on a man that she just met.

"Baekhyun just left. He'll come again tomorrow. For now, I'll be at your command" Chanyeol smiled broadly, showing his white, arranged teeth.

Areum seemed frightened by the fact Baekhyun had left. She admitted she was a little bit afraid without Baekhyun by her side. Never had she thought Baekhyun already affected her too much to the point she was scared to be left alone without him. 

"Hey, relax. I don't bite" Chanyeol calmed the stiffened girl.

"Are you hungry? I'm starving. I skip my lunch today" Chanyeol placed his hand on his growling stomach. Areum did the same and unexpectedly, strange noise came out from her stomach. Chanyeol chuckled.

"So you're hungry too? Fine, I'll cook something fast. Is Ramyun okay for you?" Chanyeol said while pacing away to the kitchen.

"Ramyun?" 

What the hell is that?

...

"Dad! I'm home!" Baekhyun shouted lively.

"Our Baekhyunie is back! Come here. I've cook dinner for you" a middle aged woman who was standing near the dining table greeted Baekhyun with a smile on her face. 

"Aigoooo you even cook dinner? I only ask you to look after my father" Baekhyun shook his head.

Deep inside Baekhyun's heart, he was grateful that Hyoju Ahjumma had prepared dinner for him and his dad especially. Baekhyun was grateful he had such a thoughtful neighbor. The young man knew that he would not make it in time. He had just survived from his father's uncontrollable fit. If that really happened he might passed out of exhaustion.

"Doesn't make dinner also included?" A chuckle escaped Hyoju's lips. 

Baekhyun gave Hyoju a coy smile and paced towards the living room. There, a man was sitting in front of the television but did not bother watching the show on it. Instead he had his attention on a piece of paper. Colored pencils scattered everywhere. Being a considerate son, Baekhyun did not mind.

"Dad! I'm home!" Baekhyun hugged his father from the back and placed his chin on his father's shoulder. He planted a kiss on his father's cheek, showering the older one with affection.

"Hyunie! Look! Beomie draw a house" Beomseok showed Baekhyun his drawing. 

Baekhyun shifted his attention to the drawing. There was a combination of rectangle and triangle. The triangle was drawn on top of the rectangle which Baekhyun deemed was a roof. For others it might be a messy drawing of a mentally retarded patient, but for Baaekhyun it was a great drawing. His father improved so much.

"Wow dad! It's wonderful!" Baekhyun hugged his father tighter, feeling proud.

"I draw a triangle. And...and..what's this Hyunie?" Beomseok pointed to a shape he could not remember.

"Rectangle" Baekhyun answered shortly and kissed Beomseok's temple.

"Yes! Rectangle!" Beomseok clapped his hands in gusto.

"He had been memorizing the word triangle since morning! But looks like he forget about the other one" Hyoju interjected with a chortle. Baekhyun nodded while his father's hair.

"Baekhyun-ah, I've got to go now before it's getting late" Hyoju washed her hands and put on her cardigan.

"Your dad has eaten earlier so don't worry. I've heated the soup for you. Make sure you eat. You're getting skinnier" Hyoju planted a kiss on Baekhyun's head and made her way to the door. She waved to Baekhyun before closing the door and went home. The woman's house was just a level below Baekhyun's.

"Hyunie....Beomie wants to learn how to write again" Beomseok tugged the hem of Baekhyun's shirt. 

"Okay but let me wash myself first. I'm stinky. Okay?" Baekhyun pulled Beomseok's hand from his shirt gently. The older man nodded eagerly and continued with his drawing.

Slowly, Baekhyun got on his feet and strode to his small room, placing all his stuff before making his way to the bathroom. As he was taking his shower, the man could hear his father enunciating all the shapes he taught last night. A smile cracked unwittingly. For him, as long as his father was happy, he would be happy as well.

It did not take long for the young man to wash himself. After dressing himself in a comfortable t-shirt and black pants, Baekhyun sauntered to the living room, looking for his father. To Baekhyun surprise, Beomseok had fallen asleep. The son guessed that his father might too tired memorizing shapes today.

Did not want to interrupt Beomseok's deep sleep, Baekhyun decided to let his father slept in the living room. If he woke Beomseok up, Baekhyun knew that he would wail and disturbed the neighbor. Let him be was the best option. He turned off the television and kissed Beomseok's forehead. 

Ignoring his growling stomach, Baekhyun cleaned up all the mess. He placed all the colored pencils in a pencil case and picked all the strewed papers. Baekhyun could not help but smile at the drawings. That smile unfortunately faded away the moment he saw a particular drawing. It was a stickman drawing. A man and a woman, holding hands.

"Go-Goeun...Goeun-ah...." Beomseok's moan shifted Baekhyun's gaze to him. 

It was the same name. The same name that escaped from Beomseok's lips every day. Taking a lungful of air, Baekhyun tried to ease the wrenching heart of his. The hurt man stared at his father. His eyes filled with pain that no one had noticed as it was blinded with bright facade. Baekhyun patted his father gently, hoping it would stop the moan. Incredibly, it worked.

"Dad....mom is gone..."

...

The Drowte shone brightly as it was filled with enough Qweit. Within minutes, it crashed into thousand pieces. Kyungsoo nodded as he looked at a young girl in front of him. Taking a step closer, Kyungsoo took her hand. His pupil dilated as his body emitted silver light. The light was channeled to the girl and soon both of them were glowing in the same light. It did not last long as the light grew dimmer.

"Drowte 3 crash. 6 years acquired" Kyungsoo announced as soon as the light vanished. 

His fingers tapped on the keyboard, updating the data. At the corner of the screen, his own life span was shown. The man however did not bother to look. He knew his life span had reduced 6 years. Kyungsoo did not mind. It was how it worked. Quera lost life, human gained life. They would continue losing life until there were 10 years left in their life span. It was called retirement. 

Kyungsoo stepped out of the cell. It was the last one. Just Kyungsoo's luck, he could not go home right away. He was on duty of creating new Drowte. Kyungsoo did not mind staying late at Skyte but in his state right now, he felt reluctant. He wanted to go home, got some sleep and had some peace of mind tomorrow morning. 

With a deep sigh, Kyungsoo trudged towards a secured lab where Drowte was created. He moved to his section, the one in charge for Drowte Four. Anyone who knew Kyungsoo would notice his sloppiness for that night as he was usually an excellent young man. It was like something in his mind hindered his work.

It was true indeed. Creating Drowte at this hour even made it worse. It reminded Kyungsoo of her. Areum. The thought of Areum occupied his mind. Kyungsoo heaved a deep breath as Areum lingered in his mind for the nth time. He would lie if he said he did not worry. Kyungsoo had been searching the whole city for Areum. Even at their secret place! But his effort was in vain.

Areum-ah.....please come back..

I miss you..

 

 

 

I want to update this chapter yesterday on Baekhyun's birthday =') but I can't sob sob. poor me TT By the way, thanks for reading! I'm really happy to share this story with all of you readers =) Comment is much appreciated =) Love you all !