chapter 11

13:00 am

The guilty girl stood nervously in front of Kyungsoo's room. She knew her friend was hurt. Kyungsoo had nobody beside her. She was the only person who Kyungsoo seeked for even for the smallest thing. Kyungsoo could even cry in front of her. That was how deep their friendship was. Same went to her. So she knew that Kyungsoo was lonely without her but Areum really felt reluctant to leave Baekhyun.

Areum knocked the door and waited for a respond. She was too guilty to the extent she was afraid to just barge into Kyungsoo's room like she always did. Kyungsoo was avoiding her for almost two days already. After informing her about Baekhyun's increasing Qweit last night, Kyungsoo went straight to his room, did not even give her any chance to say a thing. Her plan to watch movie that night with Kyungsoo was destroyed. 

"Kyungsoo-ya...I'm going in" Areum said when there was no respond. 

Areum turned the knob and stepped in. The girl paced closer to Kyungsoo who was focusing on his laptop, did not even spare a look to her. Never Areum thought that Kyungsoo's cold attitude would affect her this much. Yes, she was hurt. But she knew better that Kyungsoo was hurt even more. 

Slowly, Areum sat beside Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo's scent which she missed so much when he was not around, wafted around her. She would miss that scent again as she was going back tomorrow. Silence filled the air, occupying each space. It was suffocating for both of them but Kyungsoo tried to persevere. But not for Areum.

"Kyungsoo-ya...are you mad at me?" Areum did not know how could that kind of question just slipped out from her lips. The answer was damn obvious. 

"Areum-ah. I'm busy. I'll talk to you later" Kyungsoo lied. The paperwork he was doing needed to be submitted by next week. He had plenty of time though. 

"No. Talk to me. Now" Areum insisted. Her heart was not in ease. 

"Areum. How can I make it clear that I-"

"I'm sorry..." Areum interrupted. Kyungsoo stopped typing on the keyboard by the word sorry. Somehow it hit Kyungsoo's tender spot. Why am I so weak against this lady?

"I know I'm selfish. I shouldn't leave you here alone. I know you're lonely but....Kyungsoo...I want you to know that I really love you. You're my best friend. But there is someone out there that I really want to help. I want to help someone. At least it will make me feel like I'm useful to be born. Please don't behave like this. You make it hard for me to leave. I promise, once Baekhyun has lengthen his life, I'll be here for you forever and ever until death seperate both of us" Areum's tears started to trickle down her face. 

Kyungsoo sighed. Women and their tears. Men and their weakness. This man could stand women's tears but not Areum. His weakness was Areum and he hated that fact. But there was nothing he could do about that. Kyungsoo put down his laptop and placed it by his side. With a smile on his face, Kyungsoo turned his head to have a better look of Areum. He wiped the tears on Areum's face and raised her chin up to face him.

"Please don't cry. I'm sorry I make it hard for you. I admit I'm lonely without you. I-" Areum pulled Kyungsoo into her arms, without waiting any longer. 

"I'm sorry Kyungsoo. I'm sorry" Areum sobbed. Kyungsoo could feel his shirt already wet by Areum's tears. Couldn't stand it anymore, Kyungsoo pulled away.

"Stop crying. You're such a baby" Kyungsoo wiped Areum's endless tears and pinched her cheek. A chuckle escaped from Areum's lips, soothing Kyungsoo.

"That's my Areum. Now smile" Kyungsoo demanded and Areum light heartedly complied. 

"Want to watch a movie tonight?" Kyungsoo offered. Areum nodded frantically. She missed those moments when they would debate on how ridiculous a movie is, how fool the hero and the heroine and even reenacted the scene.

"Kol! After I've return from the Skyte, we'll watch the movie. Prepare the popcorn! You still remember how to do it, don't you?" Kyungsoo narrowed his eyes.

"Of course! Do you think I'm stupid?" Areum rolled her eyes.

 

"Hurry! You'll be late..it's almost 13!" Areum pulled Kyungsoo's arm to force him out of his bed, causing the poor man to fall on his .

"Song Areum!" Kyungsoo shrieked. Areum burst into laughter and scurried to the door.

"I'll wait for you. Don't forget to check Baekhyun's Qweit" Areum reminded before she disappeared from Kyungsoo's sight. It was the day Baekhyun started his new job and Areum could not wait to know his Qweit!

"Baekhyun. Again" Kyungsoo rolled his eyes.

With aching heart of his, Kyungsoo reached for his towel and went into his bathroom.

...

Pain. Anger. Dejected. Disappointed. All the feelings were well grinded in Baekhyun's heart. If his heart could speak, the man was sure that his heart would wail. The picture of his own mom caressing another man pierced his heart. The image of his sick father kept appearing in front of him whenever he saw his mom.

Kim Goeun. Baekhyun would never forget that name no matter how hard he tried to erase. Yes, he wanted to throw her away. That damn woman was an animal. She left without a word. She left him when he needed her the most, when his father needed her the most. One thing that Baekhyun would never forgive her. Goeun was the reason for his father's state.

If and only if Goeun did not leave that night. If and only if Goeun stayed with them. If and only if his parents did not have a fight, nothing of this would happen. They might still be a family. His father might be a healthy normal person. If not because of Goeun, Beomseok would not be drunk that night. If not because of Goeun, Beomseok would not be in an accident.

Baekhyun ran his fingers through his hair. This day was the worst day ever. Meeting his mother was a venom that kill him from the inside. Baekhyun glanced at his father who was struggling to hold a pencil right. That sight pierced Baekhyun even more. The fact that his mother was enjoying wealth when his father was suffering was totally unacceptable.

The sound of bell woke Baekhyun up from his trance. Baekhyun did not have to see who was the guest when he heard the door was opened. No one ever dare to barge into his apartment other than Chanyeol. Baekhyun looked at his watch to just realize Chanyeol was late. No wonder his stomach was growling in hunger.

"Sorry..I..I'm late" Chanyeol panted. He was overslept. His client today really got into his nerve! Sleep was the best cure. As soon as he reached home that evening, he threw himself on his bed and drove into the dreamland. He was so exhausted that he did not hear his alarm.

"It's fine. Did you run?" Baekhyun quirked his brow as he took the pizza from Chanyeol. 

Chanyeol nodded and plunged himself on the sofa. Forgot that he had a weak heart, Chanyeol ran from his car into the apartment. He did not like to make Baekhyun wait. His breathing was still unstable from the run. A frown formed on Chanyeol's forehead as he tried to hide his pain.

"Hey, are you okay?" Baekhyun asked. Chanyeol's face looked so pale. 

"I'm fine" Chanyeol's short answer rose Baekhyun's suspicion. 

"You define having pale face, frowning, dry lips as fine?" Baekhyun raised a brow.

"I'm really fine. Give me a piece" Chanyeol tried to divert the topic. Without furthering the argument, Baekhyun passed a piece of pizza to Chanyeol and another one for his father. Discreetly, Chanyeol let out a sigh of relief. 

Baekhyun sneakingly peeked at Chanyeol. He was not a five years old kid who could be fooled easily. He was 25 years old man who knew Chanyeol more than 10 years. He knew from the very beginning Chanyeol was hiding something from him but he did not want to push Chanyeol into it. Baekhyun knew that Chanyeol would tell him if it was important. Baekhyun hoped he was right.

"So how's your first day of work?" Chanyeol asked. Baekhyun hesitated for a while. He did not think it was the right time to tell Chanyeol. Chanyeol was not in a good state. His day would be a burden to his best friend. 

"Great! Hongbin-ssi was a nice man" Baekhyun lied when he said great. The hurt man tried his best to feign excitement. His attempt to shadow his sadness was working on Chanyeol. Chanyeol himself could not pay his full attention on Baekhyun. His condition banned him from doing so but of course he refused to show it.

"Glad to hear that! You never know how relieve I'm when you got that job!" Chanyeol forced a smile. The pain was almost unbearable at that moment. He wanted to go home.

"Beomie also happy. Hyunie is good. Everyone loves Hyunie" Beomseok muttered with his mouth stuffed with pizza. Baekhyun shook his head and wiped the side of Beomseok's mouth that had sauce smeared on it. If only you know who I met earlier...

"I'm sure this job is a job you can enjoy yourself" Chanyeol added.

"I hope so" Baekhyun shrugged.

Seeing that woman every day?

It's hell.


...

Areum ran as if there was no tomorrow. She did not care how did she look right now. The girl did not care how ridiculous she looked running with dress and bare foot while her heels in her hands. Her hair was not tied and was blewn by the wind, revealing her bare collarbone. Her mind had only one goal. Baekhyun.

"Baekhyun's Qweit is very low. It's even lower than before. I may say it's the lowest" Kyungsoo explained. The man himself was surprised to see the sudden drop. It was quite high the day before.

As much as Kyungsoo, Areum was surprised as well. It could not be happening. It was the day Baekhyun got a new job. He supposed to be happy. He supposed to increase his Qweit. Not dropping it. Areum could not help but feeling worried. Something must happen.

"I'm sorry Kyungsoo but I think I can't make it today. I've to go" as fast as lightning, Areum made her leave.


The fact it was 1 in the morning did not stop Areum from looking for Baekhyun. She just wanted to make sure Baekhyun was fine. Malice thoughts were occupying Areum's mind. The picture of Baekhyun been slapped, been hit until his chiseled face was ruined kept bothering Areum. Her pace fastened every time those imaginations engulfed her.

The girl came to an abrupt stop when she caught a familiar figure on a bench not far from Baekhyun's apartment. It was quite dark that Areum had to squint to have a better look of the familiar man. Her mind processed fast. Baekhyun. A sigh of relief escaped from her lips.

Areum's sharp gaze traveled all over Baekhyun. No scars. No swollen face. Healthy and fit. But it did not put Areum's heart at ease. Thousands of questions were piling in her and there was something that really bugging her. What the hell was Baekhyun doing at 1 outside?! The girl became more certain that something was wrong.

Slowly, Areum paced towards Baekhyun. The man had his eyes tightly closed, his arms were crossed in front of his chest and his legs were crossed as well. His calmness facade could lie anyone but not Areum. His Qweit explained almost everything. She placed herself next to Baekhyun.

"Baekhyun-ah" Areum called out his name softly, almost inaudible but loud enough just for Baekhyun to hear. The man opened his eyes upon hearing his name. He did not take long to recognize Areum's voice.

"Areum. When-"

"Are you alright?" Areum went straight to her point, did not even give Baekhyun a chance to ask.

Baekhyun was stunned. This girl was incredible yet so mysterious. It was like she could read him in and out. It was if he was an open book to her. She knew when he was trouble. She knew when he needed someone. Her timing was always right. This time was not exempted.

"You can tell me if you want...I'll do anything as long as you're not sad anymore" Areum persuaded.

Baekhyun threw his gaze away from Areum. A sigh escaped from his lips. His mind kept reminding him that Areum was a girl who he just met and he should not trust her too much but his heart disagreed. The heart of his was telling the otherwise. Someone was lending him her shoulder and he hardly refrained.

Baekhyun suddenly stood up, confusing Areum. With a smile on his face, Baekhyun looked down at Areum. He extended his hand to Areum, confusing Areum even more. The girl threw a perplex look. 

"Want to have a walk with me?" Baekhyun offered. A smile slowly crept to Areum's face. She took Baekhyun's slender hand and stood up.

"Sure"

...

A lonely man was standing at the balcony, throwing his gaze as far as he could. The man tried to revel the tranquility of the night, hoping it could cure his pain. His dog stayed by his side, aware of his master's aching heart. Sighing had become a habit.

Wolfie nuzzled against Kyungsoo's legs to draw his attention. His master had stayed silent for too long and Wolfie had started to feel bored. Yes, Kyungsoo was distracted but Wolfie wanted more. He wanted to be pampered. Knowing that his master could not win against him, Wolfie curled up between Kyungsoo's feet. 

"Are you bored?" Kyungsoo asked. Wolfie responded with a woof. Kyungsoo chuckled, amused by his dog. Slowly he crouched down and brought Wolfie into his arms. 

"I'm sorry I ignore you a lot. I'm sorry" Kyungsoo muttered as he Wolfie. 

"Wolfie. I did a right thing, didn't I? It's not wrong to help Areum, isn't it?" Kyungsoo asked even though he knew that Wolfie could not talk. 

"But why did I feel mad?" Kyungsoo's voice lowered. 

The nth sigh escaped from his lips. With all the unsettle feeling, Kyungsoo made his way into his bedroom. He placed Wolfie in his cute, medium-sized bed next to him before throwing himself on his own bed. Kyungsoo closed his eyes in attempt to sleep.

However, sleep was not as easy as he thought. The picture of Areum with Baekhyun kept appearing whenever he closed his eyes. A grunt could be heard from Kyungsoo. Fail to sleep, Kyungsoo rested himself against the headboard. Frustrated as hell, the man ruffled his hair. Harsh.

This night supposed to be the night he had been waiting for so long. This night should be the night he spend with Areum. Watching movies, arguing about the dumb story-line but looked at what had happened. It was destroyed with just one news. One news. 

Kyungsoo would lie if he said he did not regret telling Areum about Baekhyun's Qweit. He should tell about his news first instead of Baekhyun's. Yes, he got promoted to the highest level of Quera. He should just tell her about Baekhyun tomorrow. He should celebrate himself with Areum this night not mourning over her sudden left. Stupid.

But Kyungsoo was not that kind of person. He was too kind to have those kind of feelings. That was why he was mad at himself. He could not control his anger. He could not control his feeling. He had trained himself to be patience. He had trained himself to not be selfish. He had trained himself to give Areum his priority.

Why?

There was only a reason.

Kyungsoo loved Areum.


...

Areum listened to Baekhyun's story as they walked together side by side. His painful yet smothering past was revealed. The story of his life explained his low Qweit. That boy had gone too much. He needed break. Areum almost teared up when Baekhyun finished his story.

"That's me. Byun Baekhyun. Man with a lot of imperfection" Baekhyun ended. Areum tried to hold her tears.

Never she thought, a good man like Baekhyun had such a devil-like mother. The image of her own mother kept appearing before her eyes. Although her mom complained for having her as a daughter, at least that woman never left her. Instead, she tried to help her with her Drowte. Areum missed her mom.

"Thanks for lending me your ears. You're the first girl I've ever told about this" Baekhyun chuckled.

The man could not deny that half of his burden was lifted from his shoulder. He felt he could breathe again. Never he thought that sharing problems with someone would affect him too much and that someone was not just someone. She was a girl he barely knew who possessed a power that weakened him.

"Thanks again Areum. You-" Baekhyun stopped when Areum suddenly slowed down her pace.

"Hey, are you okay?" Baekhyun held Areum's arm, stopping her. Areum tried to avoid Baekhyun's eyes.

"Areum?" Baekhyun lifted her chin up to see her eyes were already soaked with tears.

"Why are you crying?" Baekhyun immediately wiped her tears that already rolled down her cheek. His touch was so gentle that Areum could not hold herself anymore. Losing her sense, Areum went into Baekhyun's arm and bumped her face on Baekhyun's chest. Her arms around his waist.

"I promise I will never let anyone to hurt you anymore. I just want you to be happy" Areum murmured. Baekhyun lost of words. No one ever cried because of his past. No one ever cried because of him and this girl just did.

Baekhyun pulled Areum away from him and held her by the shoulder. Slowly, his hand traveled to her face and wiped away the remaining tears. His hand then caressed Areum's cheek gently. Fail to control himself, Baekhyun leaned closer to Areum until there was no space between them. 

The proximity made Areum gulped in nervousness. Her heart was beating too fast against her chest. It was the very first time she had ever felt this way. Before she could process what was happening, Areum felt a tender lips was pressed against hers. It was too gentle that Areum found it was hard to resist. Slowly, Areum closed her eyes. 

It was the night they first kissed.

 

 

I'm happy that I reach this part! XD I can't wait writing this part since I first plot this story XD I know Areum is kind of a jerk but people cannot be perfect right? But I just love this scene! Okay I'm exaggerating. By the way readers...thanks for waiting =D I'm sorry (again) for the (very) late update! Feel free to comment XOXO   *I'm creeping in your heart babe~