chapter 9

13:00 am

Her instinct was right. Baekhyun was at Hangang Park. His crestfallen expression looked so prominent that it stabbed Areum straight to her heart. It was her fault. Guilt was all she could think at the moment. Slowly, Areum approached the dejected guy.

Baekhyun could feel Areum's presence. Deep in his heart, he felt sorry for the poor girl. All his anger was unleashed at her. Baekhyun blamed himself for failing to suppress his anger. His calm facade was totally a big failure! 

"Baekhyun-ah, I-I'm so sorry" Areum murmured once she settled herself next to Baekhyun. She took a glance to discern Baekhyun's respond

"I didn't mean to....to offend you" Areum continued when Baekhyun did not give any respond. A lump formed in Areum's throat because Baekhyun seemed disregarding her presence.

"I just want to help but-"

"I know" Baekhyun replied shortly. A sigh escaped from his thin lips. Actually, he was too ashamed to face Areum. Guilt, guilt, and guilt. Taking a lungful of air, Baekhyun tried to grab his sense back. He turned his body and faced Areum.

"I'm sorry Areum. I shouldn't be mad at you. I just can't control myself. Please forgive me" Baekhyun sighed. 

"It's not your fault. It's me" Areum protested.

"No, your intention was kind but I shoved you away" Baekhyun rebutted. 

"But-"

"Okay stop it. Both of us are wrong and we had apologized to each other. Done?" Baekhyun finally creased a smile on his face. That smile really soothed Areum from the inside. He smiles at last....

"Done!" Areum chortled. Both of them threw their gaze to the view in front of them, drowning in their own thought. They reveled in the silence for a moment.

Areum sneakily glanced at Baekhyun. His side profile was perfect but that was not the one that bothering Areum right now. The incident back in the cafe kept replaying at the back of her mind. Areum wanted to know the reason! But she knew better she should not ask. Silence was the best option.

"I was accused for stealing my boss' money" Baekhyun opened up to Areum which surprised the girl. 

"She said she trusted me but she believed other's words. Funny isn't it?" Baekhyun faked a laugh, causing it sounded bitter. The scene of Minseok tattled on him really raged Baekhyun. 

"I believe you" Areum said. Baekhyun swirled his head to Areum. He cocked his brow.

"You will never lie. You're the kindest man I've ever met in this world" Areum remarked. Kyungsoo is the kindest man I've ever met in Quera World. The thought of Kyungsoo pleased her for a while. She did not know how to express her gratitude to that friend!

"How are you so sure?" Baekhyun smirked.

"I trust you" Areum said firmly. She herself did not know why she trusted Baekhyun so much but her instinct strongly told her Baekhyun was a nice guy. Baekhyun chuckled.

"Baekhyun-ah" Areum looked straight into Baekhyun's eyes. 

"Don't be sad over this matter. You still can find another job. Those guys did not deserve someone faithful like you! Make them regret for losing you!” Areum soothed Baekhyun. Baekhyun could not help but chuckled. Areum's exaggeration amused him.

"Thanks Areum" Baekhyun smiled.

"That's Baekhyun that I know! Always smile! So what do you want? I will do anything as long as it will make you happy" Areum asked.

"Really?" Baekhyun tested Areum's honesty. 

"Of course!" Areum convinced.

Baekhyun crossed his arm in front of his chest. His eyes rolled upward as he tried to rack his brain on his wish. It did not take long before something popped up in his mind. Baekhyun's smile widened. He knew what he wanted. 

"I want to bring my father here. Mind to accompany me?"

...

Chanyeol's hand was as cold as ice. The air conditioner did not make it any better. His eyes roamed around the room. The medical facts on the wall did not interest him at all. Sometimes he craned his neck to see if the doctor was coming. At last, the person he waited for came.

"Chanyeol-ssi?" The doctor said as he flipped through the papers in front of him.

"Yes" Chanyeol gulped unwittingly. He fiddled with his fingers. The doctor let out a sigh. He looked at his pitiful patient.

 

He felt sorry for this young man. When all adolescent his age were enjoying their life, this man was fighting with his rare illness. The news he wanted deliver also was not a good news either. However as a doctor, this kind of thing was inevitable. 

"Chanyeol-ssi. Your condition is worsening. I'm afraid you don't have much time left" The doctor informed with his calm facade. He tried to hide the fact that he was afraid that Chanyeol would throw a fit. His life was going to end at such a young age! 

Chanyeol's heart dropped. Anyone who received such news would be grieved. Who wouldn't? He expected that kind of news after all. It was not like he did not aware he had rare disease which had no cure. Great wasn't it? But he would be lying if he did not hope that his disease would be cured.

"How long?" Chanyeol asked bitterly.

"A month or maybe less than that. I suggest you to reduce your outdoor activities and stay at home. Don't do something heavy" the doctor reminded the same things again and again to the point Chanyeol sick of it. 

"Yes doctor" Chanyeol answered nevertheless.

Chanyeol then stepped out from the doctor's room with heavy steps. The shocked man trudged towards the seat and plunged himself into it. Chanyeol ran his fingers through his hair. His eyes shut close tightly. It was painful. The pain that he suffered alone.

Baekhyun's smiling face appeared in front of him. He wondered how Baekhyun would react if he knew. Chanyeol kept it from Baekhyun because he did not want to burden him with his problem. Baekhyun already had his own problems and being a good friend, Chanyeol did not want to be one of Baekhyun's problems.

Tears rolled down his cheek.

Baekhyun...I'm sorry..

And..I'll miss you so much


...

Boisterous laugh could be heard at a particular spot in Hangang park. It came from a mentally disabled man who had not come out for such a long time. The man found it fascinating to be surrounded by mother nature. Greenery was indeed the best view.

Baekhyun cracked a smile, happy to see his enthralled father. Surprise to the man, his father got along with Areum so well. This was a thing that he found interesting in Areum. She did not mind to accompany his father who was not normal. He could see that Areum was not acting. 

Oblivious to the fact that Baekhyun was staring at her, Areum played happily with Beomseok. It had been a long time since she played so much! In Quera World, she felt pressured to even play outside. She could only think of practicing with her Drowte. Here, she was free!

"Abeoji! Bubbles!" Areum pointed to the bubbles she blew. Beomseok laugh giddily as the bubbles popped in front if his face. Watching the scene, a smile crept to Baekhyun's face unwittingly. That was when he realized something. Areum had something that Yejin lacked of. 

"Baekhyun-ah!!! Come here!!" Areum flailed her hand, signalling Baekhyun to come over. Seeing Areum waving, Beomseok copied her. Areum could not help but laugh. Beomseok was adorable! 

"Coming!" Baekhyun hollered. The man stood up from his seat and scurried towards Areum and his father. Baekhyun took his father's hand while Areum took another one. Together, they strolled around the park. 

Areum glanced at Baekhyun. A broad smile completed his chiseled face. Areum felt contented. Happiness was written all over Baekhyun's face. It was obvious and Areum could not deny it pleased her.

Baekhyun was happy...

And Areum succeeded.

...

"Dad, eat slowly or you will choke" Baekhyun reminded as he wiped the side of Beomseok's lips that smeared with mayonnaise. Beomseok nodded frantically and slowed down.

"Here" Baekhyun handed Areum a sandwich.

"Oh thanks" Areum accepted and took a bite. Baekhyun then grabbed an apple and stuffed it in his mouth. Before Baekhyun took in more, Areum snatched the apple.

"Eat slowly or you will choke" Areum chuckled. Baekhyun smiled sheepishly. 

"Yes madam!" Baekhyun made a salute. Areum nodded and gave the apple back. They ate in silence. Only Beomseok's munch could be heard.

"Thank you" Baekhyun broke the silence. Areum stopped munching and turned her head to Baekhyun. She furrowed.

"For?" Areum raised a brow.

"For spending time with my dad. It mean a lot to me" Baekhyun thanked Areum.

The man did not know how he could repay Areum for her kindness. Not anyone could get along with his father. Not any girl wanted to spend time with a man who had a mentally disabled father. Areum was special indeed.

"It's not a big deal" Areum raised her shoulder, indicating that she really did not mind.

"It will be great if Chanyeol can join us today. He plays with my dad well. It will be a major fun!" Baekhyun chattered. Areum nodded, agreeing with Baekhyun. 

After taking a stroll at Hangang park yesterday, Baekhyun sent her home. Coincidentally, Chanyeol just got back from work. So Baekhyun loitered just for a while at Chanyeol's as he had to go home. Beomseok could not sleep without Baekhyun. 

Areum told Chanyeol about that day incident which riled Chanyeol up. Chanyeol was insanely mad that he almost went to the cafe and made an onslaught. Luckily Areum was good enough to calm the latter.

Chanyeol offered his help to look for a job for Baekhyun as he understood Baekhyun's requirement well which Baekhyun gladly appreciated. Areum also told him about their plan to bring Beomseok to Hangang park.

An idea suddenly popped out of Areum's mind. The girl wanted Chanyeol to join as she knew Chanyeol was a bright person which could make Baekhyun happier. Baekhyun too, was excited by the idea totally clueless to the fact his friend had an appointment with his doctor. 

Upon that, Chanyeol sadly refused. As an excuse, he said he had something urgent to do. Baekhyun and Areum believed his words without a slightest doubt. But still, Chanyeol said he would come if time permitted. 

"I wish Chanyeol is here..." Areum sighed while staring up at the sky, hoping that her wish came true.

"Looking for me?" A voice interrupted. Baekhyun and Areum simultaneously turned their head around. A smile brightened their face.

"Chanyeol-ah!" Baekhyun and Areum failed to hide their excitement upon seeing Chanyeol. Beomseok was not excluded. Instead, Beomseok was the most excited one. Despite his age, Beomseok clapped his hands in gusto as if he was watching a show. But judging from his condition, it was acceptable.

"What are you doing here?" Baekhyun welcomed Chanyeol and dragged him to the mat. Areum gave Chanyeol some space and passed him a sandwich.

"Thanks Areum" Chanyeol took the sandwich and had a bite.

"Things finish faster than I expected so I decide to come here" Chanyeol explained but still hiding the truth lied behind his words. He was surely feigning his cheer side. Deep in his heart, the word sorrow was written all over the place. 

"Good decision dude!" Baekhyun placed his arm around Chanyeol's shoulder. His thumb showed the thumb-up sign.

"So, did you look for job opportunity?" Chanyeol asked. 

"Yes. But it was in vain" Baekhyun sighed. He looked for every single newspaper in town but not even one suited his requirement. he knew better he should not give up since it was only a day but still he was dejected.

"I have an idea" Chanyeol drew Baekhyun's attention. Same went to Areum. Areum stopped eating and paid full attention to Chanyeol. When all eyes were on him, Chanyeol continued.

"Hongbin"

 

 

I'm sorry for this boring update TT but let me pat my head for being able to update *pat pat got to go! Have assignments to do LOL. feel free to comment =D