Chapter 15

13:00 am

The sight of Baekhyun sitting alone at the rooftop wrenched Areum's heart. Stubborn, that man refused to go home. The sky had changed its colour, announcing the arrival of night. The wind blew even stronger, trying to tell the human that rain was about to knock. Despite that, Baekhyun did not budge.

Areum could not help herself from being worried, making it the sole reason why she was following Baekhyun to the rooftop with first aid kit box in her hands. Slowly, the girl trudged towards Baekhyun. Too drown in his thought, the man did not realize her presence.

"Baekhyun" Areum called out his name but not loud enough to bring back Baekhyun to earth.

"Baekhyun?" The girl repeated, this time a tad louder. Baekhyun flinched to the cause as he came back from his subconscious mind. The man swirled his head towards Areum, revealing his bruised face which hurt Areum from the inside.

Without making any noice, far away asking for permission, Areum started to clean up Baekhyun's face. Opening the first aid kit box, she looked for suitable ointments. Gently, she applied them to the injured part.  Repressing the stinging pain, Baekhyun's face scrunched up.

As the girl was finishing her job, Baekhyun fixed his gaze on her fair face. Her calm eyes that always looked at him with love. Her lips that always offered him its reassuring smile. The pang of guilt hit him hard. He just hurt her feeling but this girl still cared for him.

"Areum-ah..." Baekhyun grabbed Areum by her wrist, sending a jolt of electricity all over her body, causing her heart to thump fast against her chest. Unwittingly, Areum gulped.

"I-I'm sorry. I'm sorry about earlier. I didn't mean to- I'm just-" Baekhyun stumbled with his words, fail to arrange the words that seemed to be scattered in his head.

Slowly, Areum pulled her hand from Baekhyun and put his in hers. A smile adorned her already perfect feature. Despite her accelerating heartbeat, Areum locked her eyes with Baekhyun. There was this voice inside her that forced her to do more. So here she was,  cupping Baekhyun's cheek, carressing it gently.

"It's fine Baekhyun. I understand. I know you're a nice man" Areum assured. 

"No I'm not Areum! I'm a horrible person. I yelled at you! I hurt you! I hurt Chanyeol. I make him lays unconscious on bed and he is dying! He is dying Areum! It's all my fault! I-I I'm just-"

Upon seeing Baekhyun's glazing eyes, Areum could not refrained herself from pulling that man into her arm. Gently, she his hair that had became disheveled, indicating how trouble the man was. Her hand then traveled to his back, patting it in hope it could sooth him.

"It's not your fault Baekhyun. It's not.." Areum paused upon hearing Baekhyun's silent sob. The man was trying to suppress his cry which hurt her even more. 

"Don't hold it Baekhyun. Just let it go. Cry. It's fine" Areum adjusted her position to allow her facing Baekhyun completely and pulled him closer.

That was how the wall of strength built by Baekhyun collapsed. The tears ran down his face as he burried his face into Areum's shoulder. The warmth she offered was weakening him. The harder he tried to stop, the more he cried. 

"It's going to be okay" Areum soft whisper's hit Baekhyun's eardrum, causing him to cry even more. 

Cry...

Just cry...

Just promise me you'll be stronger after this...

Promise me that you won't hurt yourself...


...

After making sure that Beomseok had fallen asleep, Areum got up from the bedside slowly. Waking Beomseok up was the last thing that she wanted. Putting this old man to sleep was the hardest thing to do after elevating Baekhyun's Qweit.

Areum reached for the thick blanket placed at the edge of the bed and covered Beomseok's body with it, warming the old man. Slowly, the girl walked on her tip toed, making her way out of the room. A sigh of relief escaped her lips the moment her feet stepped outside.

Her head swirled towards the clock hung on the wall. 9.00 pm, exactly an hour after Beomseok threw a tantrum which she barely survived. Baekhyun was looking after Chanyeol at the hospital, leaving Beomseok  under Areum's care which the girl gladly received.

Yes, she gladly received that task. Beomseok was doing great until she said Baekhyun would not come home that night. The old man started to run around the house as if he was looking for his son. Sorrowful wail and cry were filling the entire house for an hour before Areum managed to get control of the situation.

"He's asleep?" A woman's voice hit Areum's eardrum, reminding Areum of her presence. A smile creased on the younger woman's face as she shifted her gaze towards Hyoju who was standing a few steps away from her.

Areum nodded as a respond. Pacing closer to Hyoju, Areum noticed the crease on Hyoju's forehead. Worrisome was written all over her aging face. When Areum was close enough to her, the older woman reached for Areum's soft hands and caressed them fondly.

"Are you okay dear?" Hyoju asked out of concern. This girl suddenly called her, saying that Beomseok was out of control. Luckily, she arrived just in time to help Areum.

"Yeah sure. Thank you eommoni" Areum did not know what would happen if Hyoju was not there for her. Areum wished what she saw earlier was just an imagination but Beomseok clearly holding a sharp scissor and swung it around, threatened everyone to see his son. It was either she was killed by Beomseok or Beomseok killed himself. Areum shook the malice thoughts away.

No matter how hard Areum tried to put her calm facade, Hyoju could trace fright in her face. Colors had  been drawn from Areum's face, causing it to be pale. Her hand in hers was incredibly cold, almost frozened. Hyoju could tell that the girl was in ulter shock.

"Want me to make a hot chocolate for you?" Without waiting for Areum's answer, Hyoju strode away to the kitchen, leaving the speechless Areum. Unwittingly, Areum's lips curled upward, forming a smile. Hyoju's concern really touched her.

Within minutes, a mug of hot chocolate was already in Areum's hands, warming her freezing hands. Its aroma wafted into her nostrils, parching . Her stomach growled in hunger, reminding its owner that she had not taked her dinner yet.

"Hungry my dear?" Hyoju chuckled, amused by the coy young woman in front of her. Areum smiled sheepishly.

"Do you know that you look cute when you smile like that?" Hyoju asked with a chortle. Areum frozed. That line, was very similar to someone. A scene played in front of Areum, stunning her.

"Do you know that you look cute when you smile like that?" Chanyeol jabbed Areum's cheeks, fluttering Areum from the inside.

Areum was sure her face had reddened because she could feel the burning sensation. Noticed Areum's sudden morphed expression, Chanyeol failed to suppress his boisterous laughter. 

"Chanyeol-ah!" Areum chided. Her hand fled to Chanyeol, hitting the man on his shoulder. Futile, Chanyeol kept laughing, even louder. Biting her lower lips, a hit turned to a pinch. To Chanyeol's surprise, the pain was no joke, causing him to cringe.

"Fine fine! I'll stop! It hurts, Areum-ah" Chanyeol pleaded as he tried to escape from the killing sensation, bringing Areum to a huge laughter. 

Chanyeol rubbed his shoulder that he found had turned a little bit red from the pinch. Areum kept on laughing, did not even realize that Chanyeol was gazing at her. A smile unwittingly formed on the man's face. 

The moment their eyes locked, Areum's laughter that had been echoing in Chanyeol's condominium was brought to a stop. A lump suddenly formed in Areum's throat, causing her to gulp nervously. The gaze in Chanyeol's eyes somehow made her anxious.

"Chanyeol-ah, why-"

"Areum-ah, promise me one thing. If anything happened , promise me that you will always laugh and smile. Just like you do in front of me, right at this moment" 


"Areum-ah, hey dear. Are you okay? Why are you crying?" Hyoju shook Areum's shoulder as the girl did not give any respond. Failed, the woman shook Areum a little bit stronger. It seemed working as Areum started to become aware of her surrounding.

"Areum, are you okay? Come here dear" Hyoju pulled Areum into her embrace. As her tears rolled down her cheeks, Chanyeol's voice kept playing at the back of her mind. 

Sorry Chanyeol

I don't think I can keep my promise

I'm sorry...


...

The flash was blinding Baekhyun but the man kept his straight face. Following Chanyeol's instruction, Baekhyun changed his pose. The sequence repeated until Chanyeol raised up his hand and gave a thumb-up, signifying that he had enough.

"You should be a model! No kidding" Chanyeol remarked. His eyes still glued on his camera, looking at the pictures of Baekhyun that he captured. 

"Funny!" Baekhyun gulped a bottle of water, soothing the thirst that he had been holding a while ago. 

"I'm not joking dude! Model can make money as well you know" Chanyeol lifted his head up, allowing his best friend to have a good look at him. Baekhyun shook his head frantically, bringing a huff from Chanyeol. 

"I'm serious. Try to look for a better occupation. I know you're talented. Aigoo. How can I leave in peace?" Chanyeol's remark was more than enough to make Baekhyun's heart skipped a beat.

"Where- where are you going?" Baekhyun fixed his gaze to Chanyeol. Instead of giving an answer, Chanyeol smiled.

"Let's take a picture together" Chanyeol adjusted his camera on the tripod, completely ignoring Baekhyun's question which Baekhyun found frustrating. Nevertheless, he let himself being dragged by Chanyeol.

"Okay, smile!" Chanyeol made his peace sign on his right hand while the other was placed around Baekhyun's shoulder. Sighing, Baekhyun plastered a smile on his face and made a heart sign.

Flash!

A sudden call forced the two men to stop. Excusing himself, Chanyeol answered his phone. Baekhyun's eyes followed Chanyeol until his sight disappeared from his view. Slowly, Baekhyun sauntered towards the camera to take a look at their picture.

Gasp.

The picture, there was only him.


"Hey what's wrong?" A tap on the shoulder startled Baekhyun. He swirled around, greeted by Chanyeol who was still smiling. 

"Chan- Chanyeol-ah. You-you are not here" Baekhyun pointed to an empty space beside him in the picture. Tears started to trickle down his face.

Without uttering a word, Chanyeol wiped the tears on Baekhyun's face in hope Baekhyun would stop crying. However it only bringing more tears. The soothing yet bright smile of Chanyeol somehow looked sad and lonely.

"Chan- Chanyeol-ah..why don't you say anything? Uh? Chanyeol-ah" Baekhyun muffled in his cry. 

Chanyeol shook his head subtly. Slowly, the man took a step back. Baekhyun's heart was screaming to hold Chanyeol back but his body was numb. With tears rolling down his face, Baekhyun just watch Chanyeol walking away from him. Away and away until he disappeared.

Baekhyun fell on his knees.

"CHANYEOL-AHHH!!"

...

"Young man, wake up" a voice hit Baekhyun's eardrum, waking him up from his vivid dream. Immediately, Baekhyun shot up straight. A man in white coat greeted his view. It then dawned to Baekhyun that he had fallen asleep in the waiting room.

"Sorry, I-"

"Are you Park Chanyeol's brother?" The doctor asked.

"No, yeah I mean. No. I-I'm his friend" Baekhyun stumbled. He got on his feet and bowed, showing his respect. 

The young doctor paused for a while, racking his brain on how to deliver the news to the man in front of him. As if Baekhyun could read the words playing in the doctor's mind, his heart began to thump faster than usual.

"Your friend...he just passed away. I'm really sorry"

At that moment, Baekhyun swore, his heart stopped beating.

Baekhyun-ah, I'm sorry I have to leave you...

Don't be sad..

Because I will always look after you from above..

Goodbye, Baekhyun-ah

I love you, my friend

 

 

 

 

Okay no more angst after this. I think I'm crazy because I almost cried when I wrote this chapter LOL. Today is Baekhyun's birthday party ;'). How I wish I can go....