Chapter 19

13:00 am

"I don't know whether I make a right choice or not" Baekhyun sighed. 

"Yes you're. I'm very proud of you! If Chanyeol is here, he would be saying the same thing as well" Areum gave her most consoling smile and Baekhyun could not help but smiling as well. He then threw his gaze to the night sky.

After Baekhyun went home from Goeun's, he felt so miserable. He could not erase the thought of Goeun in his mind and he really hated it. The man wanted someone he could talk to and Areum's name popped out from his mind. So, he texted Areum to meet and left Beomseok under Hyoju's care for a while. 

Areum felt that something was wrong and agreed to meet. It was a chance for her to finish her list as well. Thus, she requested to meet at Hangang Park and watched fireworks. It was proven right when Baekhyun told her the whole incident, beginning from Jongin's case until Goeun asked for a dinner. 

"Areum-ah" Baekhyun called out after a long silence between them. 

"Yes?" Areum swirled her head towards Baekhyun, meeting her eyes with his. 

"Can you accompany me tomorrow?" Baekhyun asked. 

"Sure! I would be glad to" Areum answered without giving a second thought of it. Anything that would improve Baekhyun and his mother's relationship, Areum would be more than happy to help. 

Baekhyun smiled in return. He did not sure whether it was Areum's apparel or Areum was originally a beauty but he tended to gaze at her. The look in Baekhyun's eyes were hindering Areum from averting her eyes from him. Without uttering a word, they locked their eyes for a long period of time until a firework exploded, surprising them.

"Woahhh! It's beautiful!" Areum was excited to see such a wonderful scenery in front of her. She clapped her hand in gusto as more colourful fireworks popped out in the vast sky.

"Areum-ah, I want to say something to you. I-I, I want to say that I-" Baekhyun paused for a little while to calm his racing heart. 

"Yes?" Areum shifted her attention to Baekhyun.

"I like-"Another fireworks exploded, halting Baekhyun.

"Baekhyun-ah! Let's go over there. We can see it clearly!" Areum linked her arm in Baekhyun's and dragged him to the spot she pointed, totally absorbed in the fireworks show.

The spot that she chose undeniably was a strategic one. The sceneric view was powerful enough to make one's eyes glittered in amazement. Baekhyun and Areum were not exceptions either. Baekhyun swore the fireworks show was the most wonderful thing he ever watched since the day everything in his life started to fall apart and it was 13 years ago.

"It's amazing..." Baekhyun uttered in awe. He was aware, that this event was one of Areum's list.

And he admitted, he was genuinely happy.

...

"Thank you for walking me home" Areum thanked Baekhyun. Baekhyun nodded in return. Chanyeol's condominium was quite far from Baekhyun's apartment but he still insisted to accompany her. Areum did not have any other choice other than allowing him. She was a little bit scared anyway especially at night.

"Go inside. It's late already" with hand gesture, Baekhyun shooed Areum inside.

"Okay. Good night! See you around" Areum turned her back towards Baekhyun and walked inside. After a few paces, she came to an abrupt stop. She swirled around to see Baekhyun was still at the same spot, watching her.

"Why?" Baekhyun asked.

"I just remember! You said you want to tell me something, don't you?" Areum asked. Baekhyun gulped nervously. 

"Oh really? I can't remember" Baekhyun rubbed the nape of his neck.

"I see. It's fine. You can tell me later" Areum smiled. She waved a goodbye to Baekhyun and pranced inside. Baekhyun's eyes followed her until her sight disappeared from his view. Placing his hand on his chest, Baekhyun felt the thumpering heart of his against it. He took a few long breath until his heartbeat returned to its normal pace.

Before turning around, Baekhyun looked up at the condominium as if he was staring at Areum.

I want to say that I love you

...

"It's fine madam. We can settle it" the maid assured Goeun to leave the kitchen. She felt it wrong to let her master did the job that supposed to be hers.

"It's okay. I want to do it. You can help me wash the vegetables" Goeun insisted. Refuse to go against Goeun's words anymore, the maid complied.

Since early in the morning, the mansion was rowdy. Goeun's voice was echoing at each nook and crook of the mansion, giving orders. The woman was very excited to welcome Baekhyun that night for dinner. She wanted everything to be perfect yet pleasant for the son who she longed for the most. 

"Mom!" Jongin gave his mother a back hug, startling Goeun who was so into the cooking. She flinched in surprise.

"Sorry I startle you" Jongin chuckled and pulled away from Goeun. Goeun turned around to see Jongin with his wide smile and a peace sign.

"Aigooo. Luckily I don't cut my finger!" Goeun chided. Jongin rubbed the nape of his neck and gave his sheepish smile.

"Come here" Goeun pulled Jongin into her arms and hugged her son tightly before letting him go.

"What are you doing for dinner?" Jongin's eyes roamed around the kitchen, tried to figure out the menu based on the ingredients.

"Surprise" Goeun winked. 

"Wow! Now you're keeping a secret from me too? Okay fine. I'll wait" Jongin chortled. Goeun smiled in return.

"Mom. How do you convince Baekhyun hyung to come? I still can't believe that he agrees to come" Jongin asked out of curiousity. 

"Emmm..maybe because your mom is very pretty?" Goeun chortled. Jongin shook his head to his mother's joke. Nevertheless the son let out a short chuckle and planted a kiss on his mother's cheeks.

"Right. My mom is the prettiest woman on earth" Jongin gave his mother his charming smile which could melt any woman's heart. Goeun smiled in return and ruffled Jongin's hair.

"And my son is the most handsome man on earth" Goeun pulled Jongin into her arm, showering Jongin with affection.

And I'm so lucky to have two handsome sons 

...

Like a statue, Baekhyun stood in front of Goeun's mansion. The man still had hesitation harboured in him. Areum who waited patiently beside him, noticed the tight expression painted on Baekhyun's face. Bringing Baekhyun's hand in hers, Areum gave it a light squeeze. Baekhyun turned his head towards Areum. A slight smile was given to Areum. Areum nodded in return, assuring him that everything was going to be fine.

After inhaling a deep breath, Baekhyun made his way into the mansion. Without him knowing the reason, his adrenaline gushed throughout his body causing his heartbeat to beat faster than usual. Baekhyun did not know what should he be afraid of. His anxiety was noticed by Areum as Baekhyun's grab on her hand was becoming tighter and tighter as they were nearing the main door.

"Oh hyung! Come in! Who-?" Jongin's face popped out of the door before Baekhyun and Areum could press the bell.

"She's with me" Baekhyun answered shortly. His voice turned out colder than he expected it would be. Areum squeezed Baekhyun's hand lightly, reminding him to behave.

"Areum. Song Areum" Areum introduced herself. 

"Hi noona! I'm Jongin. Come in!" Jongin brought his guests inside. As they stepped inside, they were greeted by Goeun who was looking pretty in her dark blue long dress. Her hair was tight neatly in bun. 

"Oh Areum-ah! I'm glad you come along!" Goeun pulled Areum into her arm and gave the girl a hug. 

"Come! Before the food turns cold" Goeun linked her left arm in Areum's while her right hand tried to hold Baekhyun's arm. Before Goeun's hand could reach his, Baekhyun distanced himself from Goeun. Trying to hide her disappointment, Goeun put on her fake smile. And Jongin could sense that something was wrong.

...

"Hyung. I'm so happy that you come tonight! We can know each other better" Jongin broke the silence that was filling the air. The young boy thought it would be a boisterous dinner whereby everyone would speak up and talk about each other. It should be the night which would bond them together after all the misunderstood. 
Sometimes the young boy could not decipher adulthood.

"There's nothing interesting to know about me" Baekhyun scoffed. 

"But I don't know about your mom. Maybe she has something interesting to share with us as she is so excited to invite me for dinner" Baekhyun gave Goeun a mocking smile. Goeun gripped the utensils in her hand tightly. Suddenly she felt like the food was stuck in , suffocating her from the inside.

"Really? Mom doesn't say anything" Jongin replied innocently. Baekhyun snorted. He put down his utensils and looked up at Jongin who was sitting in front of him. 

"Okay since your mom seems to forget what she wants to say. How about you ask me anything. You want to know me better don't you?" Baekhyun crossed his arms in front of his chest. Areum snatched a glance at Baekhyun. The smile on his face was making her anxious. This man certainly had something in his mind. No Baekhyun. Remember what is our purpose here. To make up with your mom!

"Really? Anything?" Jongin beamed excitedly. Baekhyun nodded in return. Goeun bit her lower lips. The woman was not sure what was playing in Baekhyun's mind but whatever it was, it was unnerving her so much that her hand turned sweaty.

"Emmm. Then, do you have siblings?" Jongin asked.

"Siblings? I'm not sure. I guess I have a younger brother but I never see him" Baekhyun answered ambiguously.

"Why?" Jongin furrowed. Baekhyun glanced at Goeun and snorted mockingly. Baekhyun just raised his shoulder, leaving the question without answer.

"Who do you live with?" Jongin changed the topic. Baekhyun smirked. The universe seemed like helping him that night. 

Goeun's felt the air aroud her was thinning. Her breath became irregular and she could feel cold sweat rolled down her spine. Areum who noticed Goeun's morphed expression tried to cool Baekhyun down. Under the table, Areum tapped Baekhyun's hips lightly. Baekhyun swirled his head towards Areum and raised a brow, acting as if nothing was wrong. Areum shook her head subtly.

"I-"

"Jongin-ah. It's not right to dig into other's privacy like that" Goeun snapped before Baekhyun could continue. 

"Why? It's fine Goeun-ssi. I can answer that" Baekhyun smirked.

"I live with my father" Baekhyun answered.

"Your mother?" Jongin's question was like a huge rock fell right onto Goeun.

"My mother? She is living with another man now. She left me and my father" Baekhyun said leisurely. Goeun's body trembled.

"Oh I'm sorry hyung. I didn't mean to-"

"Oh it's fine" Baekhyun chortled as if he was enjoying a comedy show.

"Why on earth did that woman left you?" Jongin shook his head.

"Because my dad lost all his money and she couldn't take it. Maybe she is too embarrassed or maybe she just could not cope with poor life. She could not enjoy spa like she always do or maybe-"

"Byun Baekhyun!" Goeun hollered, startling Jongin. The atmosphere became a complete silence. Only Goeun's harsh breath could be heard. Areum let out a regretful sigh. The situation turned worse than she could imagine.

"Jongin-ah. Let's go somewhere with noona" Areum stood up and brought Jongin away. Baekhyun and Goeun needed to solve their problem and Areum was sure Goeun did not want Jongin to hear. She guessed she could help with that, at least. Luckily, Jongin did not ask further.

"What do you want actually?" Goeun asked when Jongin and Areum had left.

"Nothing" Baekhyun sneered.

"Do you have to do that? Saying all those things in front of Jongin? Do you have to do that??" Goeun's voice trailed away as she had to stifle her cry.

"What? I don't mention your name. What's wrong with that? Aaaaa, are you admitting that all of them are true?" Baekhyun snickered.

"Yes it's true. What you say, all of them are true! I left you and your father because I hate to live a low life. But it's all the past Baekhyun-ah. I was young that time. You know I married to your father at a young age don't you? I was not matured enough to think. I was at the age where I wanted to satisfy my greed but now it's different. I know I was wrong and can't you give me a chance?" Tears trickled down Goeun's face.

"Why this thing look so easy for you? Oh yes. It does look easy for you. You married to a rich man and live in a big house. You can get money easily without any effort. But what about us? Do you know how hard it is when you left me? You left me when I was nine. I was nine! Do you think it was easy for me? Everyday I wish that you will come back but you never come. So why now? Why now?! Where were you when I needed you the most? Where were you when I needed someone to lean on? Where were you?!" Baekhyun exploded. Everything he had burried in the deepest part of his heart was unleashed in a split second.

"Baekhyun-ah..I know I was wrong. I'm so sorry. Please. I'll do anything as long as you'll forgive me" Goeun pleaded. Baekhyun snorted.

"I love you Baekhyun. I still love you. I miss my son so much. Please..." Goeun's voice was drown by her sob. Slowly, her hand tried to reach Baekhyun's but Baekhyun was fast. He yanked his hand away from Goeun, prohibiting himself from being touched by her. 

"Don't touch me. If you want to see me, just, stay away from me" Baekhyun warned. 

"And, thank you for the dinner" Baekhyun strode away, leaving Goeun who was already falling on her knees. The woman just watched her son as he walked away from her, away and away, leaving her in unspeakeable pain.

Areum who was accompanying Jongin immediately followed behind Baekhyun when she saw Baekhyun came out from the dining room. Judging from the expression on the man's face, Areum was more than sure things did not go well. Frustation was written all over his face that it was undeniable.

"Jongin-ah, noona will go first okay? We'll talk again later. Take care" Areum ruffled Jongin's hair before she chased after Baekhyun.

Areum trailed behind Baekhyun, keeping a distance between them. The girl was giving some space for Baekhyun to be by himself. Even though the curiosity inside her was launching a war but she tried her best not to spill it out. It just not the right time to ask. She just watched silently as Baekhyun took a step by step in a slow pace, having both of his hand tucked in his pocket. At times, she saw Baekhyun would look up at the night sky as if he was asking for tranquility.

After a long walk, Baekhyun finally came to a stop. Areum stopped about five steps behind. Worried, Areum paced closer, reducing the distance between them. Hesitantly, Areum lifted her hand to give a warm touch to Baekhyun. Before she could be able to do so, she noticed Baekhyun's back began to raise and fall. Soon, she caught the sound of sniffle that she was sure came from Baekhyun. Before she could open , Baekhyun turned around and pulled her into his arms.

"B-Baekhyun-ah" Areum flustered.

"Just stay like this, for a while" Baekhyun muffled, almost inaudible. After taking almost all of her to process what was happening, slowly Areum brought her hanging hand from her side to Baekhyun's back, patting it lightly. That night was the first night Areum witnessed Baekhyun who was always appeared strong, cried so hard that it took almost forever for him to stop. Even when Chanyeol died, Baekhyun's cry never turned to a sob. But this time, Baekhyun was sobbing and it was heart-wrecking. Silently, Areum cried as well.

...

Areum took Baekhyun for a walk before heading home. Baekhyun's grasp on her hand was firm as if he would never let go. The man had stopped crying but still kept his mouth shut, leaving Areum in a complete perplexity on what was going on back there at Goeun's house. Respecting Baekhyun, Areum chose to wait. The girl was sure that Baekhyun would tell her himself when he was ready. Areum was proven right when Baekhyun spoke up.

"You must be so disappointed at me" Baekhyun muttered.

"Why should I?" Areum furrowed.

"Chanyeol too, he must be disappointed at me" Baekhyun looked up at the dark gloomy sky as if he was looking at Chanyeol. In the faint light of crescent moon, Areum could see the desolation on Baekhyun's face. Tightened their hands that were locked together, Areum then shook her head.

"No, we're not-" 

"Yes you're! Why won't you? I know you hope that I will make up with my mom tonight, don't you? You hope we can get better, don't you? But, I destroy them. I'm just-" Baekhyun's voice trailed off as he began to cry again. Areum stopped their steps. Turning Baekhyun's body to face her, Areum then reached for Baekhyun's other hand and now both of Baekhyun's hand were in Areum's grasp.

"Baekhyun-ah..."

"I told myself several times to hold in my anger. I told myself to remain calm. I told myself to at least try. But when I see her I just cannot hold myself. It just, burst out. Everything that I'd keep for 13 years just spill out. I yelled at her. Everytime I see her, I will be mad. Everything I'd been through these past years, the hardship, my sick father, everything, just appeared in front of me. If possible, I don't want to see her anymore but-" Baekhyun paused for a while. 

"But when I see her with Jongin, I feel like--I don't know. I want her to hold me the way she holds Jongin. I want her to look at me the way she looks at Jongin. I just miss the moment when I was little where her attention was only at me. I miss her pampering me before I sleep. I-" Baekhyun stopped as he looked up at the sky, trying to hold his tears. 

"Baekhyun-ah, if you said that I'm disappointed at you, you're wrong. I'm proud of you. I know it's not easy for you to just make up with your mother after all these  years. But I'm proud of you because you try. You give yourself a chance. And what I'm proud of the most is that you admit yourself that you still miss your mother. It's a big improvement, don't you think so?" Areum smiled. Baekhyun brought Areum into his arms and hugged the girl.

"Thank you Areum. I don't know what will happen to me if you're not here. Thank you also for accompanying me tonight. I really appreciate that" Baekhyun uttered before letting Areum go. Areum gave her coy smile.

"And, I'm hungry. Can you make me a dinner? I only ate a little earlier" Baekhyun grinned, showing his arranged teeth. Areum shook her head before letting out a chuckle.

"Anything for you"

...


After putting on a comfortable sweater and a sweatpants, Baekhyun checked on his father. His old man was sleeping soundly with his mouth slightly apart. Baekhyun's thin lips curved into a smile, amused by Beomseok. With a kiss on Beomseok's forehead, Baekhyun then left Beomseok to check on Areum who was cooking in the kitchen.

The smell of ramyeon wafted in the air, alluring hungry Baekhyun. The growling of his stomach became louder and louder, forcing Baekhyun to shove it some food to calm it down. Areum who was drown in her own world failed to notice Baekhyun who was pacing closer towards her. She was cutting some apples she found in the refrigerator.

"Areum" Areum who had her focus solely on the apples she was cutting, surprised by Baekhyun's voice. As the aftermath, instead of the apples, the knife cut Areum's fingers, causing it to bled.

"Areum-ah!" Shocked by the sudden accident, Baekhyun rushed towards Areum. Guilt surged all over him as he saw red blood started to stain Areum's finger. Still in shock, Areum just watched the blood spurt out from her finger. Bringing Areum's injured finger to his mouth, Baekhyun the blood in order to stop the bleeding.

"Baekhyun-ah-"

"Wait. I'll look for emergency kit" Baekhyun interjected. Worrisomeness was written all over his face. Refuse to waste any time, Baekhyun rummaged through the cabinet, looking for an emergency kit. Before he could find one, his head began to throb unexpectedly. The pain was unbearable that he felt like dying. A loud thump echoed as Baekhyun's body met the floor. 

"Byun Baekhyun!" was the last thing he heard before his vision became a complete blackness.

 

 

Wow it's almost 20 chapters! I thought it would be less than 20