Chapter 13

13:00 am

"Yes. I'm very sorry. Yes yes. Thank you sir" Areum tapped the end call button and squeezed the phone tight. The girl bit her lips hard that it almost bled. Heaving a deep sigh, Areum swirled her head towards Chanyeol who was laying weak on his bed. Seeing this sight of Chanyeol tightened her chest.

Mustering her strength, Areum sauntered towards Chanyeol and sat at the side of the bed. She had to be strong. The girl did not want to show her weak side to Chanyeol. It would not make things any better if she cried. All she could do was channeling as much strength as she could so that Chanyeol would not loss his spirit. To stay alive, at least.

"I've called all your clients. They said it's fine" Areum forced a smile which she found was the most hardest thing to do especially when she knew about Chanyeol's diring condition. How could such a radiant and cheerful man suffering from such rare illness? 

"Thank you Areum" Chanyeol's voice sounded so weak that Areum had to lean closer just to capture what he said. 

"You're welcome" Areum replied with a smile which she was sure looking so fake. The girl did not know how Chanyeol still kept his sweet, pure smile despite his state! The smile, was just a facade to overshadow the pain he had been bearing for years.

Slowly, Areum lifted her hand up and landed it on Chanyeol's forehead. Pouring as much affection she could give, Areum Chanyeol's hair. Noticing how disheveled his hair had become, Areum aligned it back properly, adorning Chanyeol's pale face. A grab on her wrist halted her movement. 

"Areum-ah..Look at me" Chanyeol brought Areum's hand to his side and squeezed it lightly. In respond, Areum shifted her gaze to Chanyeol's face after avoiding his eyes since last night. It was just too hard to look at him in the eyes after figuring the fact that he was ill. The fact that, he was dying.

"Can you promise me something?" Chanyeol requested. Areum nodded subtly in respond. A smile crept on Chanyeol's face. The guy knew Areum had been avoiding his eyes since last night. That was the reason he did not want to tell anyone about his illness. He did not want to spend the last pieces of his life seeing people with crestfallen expression when they saw him. It made it hard for him to leave this world in peace.

"Promise me that you'll take care of Baekhyun. Promise me that you'll always be by his side and please, don't tell Baekhyun. I don't want to see him crying at the end of my life. I want to see his smiling face before I close my eyes. Can you do it?"Areum bit her lips, supressing the urge to cry. How could Chanyeol be so calm after saying those words? She herself was struggling to hold her tears.

"Areum-ah?" Chanyeol called out her name after a brief silence.

"Y-yes. I promise" Areum responded. The girl could feel  a lump was forming in , making it hard for her to croak out her voice.

"Thank you Areum. I know I can rely on you" a chuckle escaped from Chanyeol's lips as if there was nothing bad going to happen.

"Ch-chanyeol-ah, excuse me for a while. I forget to turn off the stove. Don't want to burn the whole house I guess" Areum let out a fake laugh and scurried outside of Chanyeol's room, did not even turn her head around. 

As Areum closed the door behind her, she could feel the strength in her knees started to dwindle. Slowly, the girl slide down against the door. Hugging her knees, Areum buried her face inside them. The tears she had been holding the entire times finally burst. 

Little did she know, behind that door, Chanyeol was crying as well.

...

Jongin fiddled with the end of his necktie. Alternately, the boy would steal a glance at the rear mirror that reflected Baekhyun's focused eyes. Jongin was very sure the time was ticking normally but he could feel the difference in the car. It was like the air was still and it was incredibly cold. The boy wondered if it was the weather or Baekhyun himself. Jongin was very sure he did not say something wrong. Or was he?

At the driver seat, Baekhyun was relieve that the boy had stop talking. Jongin's chatter that was filling the air minutes ago was replaced by a dead silence. Baekhyun knew it was all because of him. The grown up man gave a glare as a respond. It was offending but if that boy kept talking about Goeun, what could he do?! Jongin kept saying how caring and loving was Goeun, how grateful he was for having her, all those words that pierced Baekhyun's heart into pieces.

A lump was forming in Jongin's throat, causing him to gulp in anxiousness. Baekhyun's cold demeanor had frightened him a tad. Refuse to see a furious Baekhyun, Jongin threw his gaze to the outside. A cafe that had historical touch on its building caught his attention. The picture of his favorite americano danced in front of his eyes, parching his throat. 

"Hyung, can you stop in front of that cafe?" Jongin asked without looking at Baekhyun. His eyes was glued to the appealing cafe which was just a few metres away. His heart was screaming for a hot coffee particularly in that cold weather. Sighing, Baekhyun stepped on the brake and slowed down the car. 

Once the car had stopped, Jongin hopped out and pranced towards the cafe. Propping up his head, Baekhyun's eyes followed Jongin. His keen eyes observed Jongin's side feature. He resembled Hongbin a lot especially his lips. Baekhyun admitted Jongin was good looking, explaining the crowding girls in front of the school gate.

Despite that chiseled face of Jongin, it was not enough for this man named Baekhyun. There was something that suppress Jongin from being appealing in Baekhyun's eyes. That something was no other than the picture of Goeun loving another guy instead of his father who needed her the most! In fact, seeing Jongin was twice harder than seeing Goeun. 

Why on earth he had to fetch Jongin today?!

...

Areum's eyes roamed around, fascinated by the arrangement in the office. All files were in place, books were arranged neatly on the shelf and the scent from the scented candle smelt great and undoubtedly soothing. Her eyes then stopped at a family potrait hanged nicely on the wall. Areum's hands turned into fists.

It was the picture of Hongbin, Goeun and a young boy Areum did not recognize. The girl assumed he was their son, judging from how similar he was to Hongbin. The thought of Baekhyun crossed her mind. That persistent man must had hurt himself, seeing his own mother with another guy. Baekhyun certainly could not be blamed with his dropping Qweit.

"I'm sorry I've to settle some stuff" an elegant looking woman placed herself in front of Areum, crossing her legs. Her face was adorned with a sweet smile with a lips looking very similar to Baekhyun's. Again, Baekhyun occupied Areum's mind yet became the main reason she stood in front of this woman named Goeun.

"Thank you for making some time with me, Goeun-ssi" Areum lowered her head, showing some respect. She herself was astounded by the fact she could still face Goeun with smile and the remaining respect she had for Goeun. 

"You're welcome-" Goeun paused.

"Areum. Song Areum" Areum introduced herself. Goeun replied with a nod. A knock hindered Areum from   revealing her main purpose. A lady with a black suit and highly tied hair walked in with a tray of hot tea. Presumably, Goeun's personal assistant. After placing the tea, she made her leave.

"So young lady, may I help you?" After a sip of tea, Goeun focused back to Areum. This lady suddenly barged into her office saying that she had something important to say, pertaining her past which made Goeun gulped in nervousness. She was almost deceived by Areum's decent yet innocent look. 

Areum smirked in irksomeness. Goeun's fear when she mentioned about the word 'past' really disgusted her. Areum noticed the pale face of Goeun who tried her best to keep her past a secret. A deep secret which could destroy her. Her greed.

"It's about Baekhyun"

...

"Ummppph! That's the taste!" Jongin closed his eyes, savoring the taste offered by the coffee. It had been a while since he had his last coffee. He was too busy with football practice and upcoming examination. Jongin glanced sneakily to the older man in front of him. Emotionless. 

Jongin knew it well that Baekhyun was not comfortable since he forced Baekhyun to keep him accompany. Baekhyun fixed his gaze outside, leaving his coffee untouched. However Jongin decided to be an ignorant brat. It was the only way he could think to bond them. By force.

Baekhyun could only hope time would run faster. The scent coming from the coffee was tempting but it was blocked by a high wall of ego. His mind was telling him it was rude to ignore the innocent Jongin but his heart did not think the same way. To treat Jongin nicely, Baekhyun needed time.

"Hyung" Jongin tried the attempt to divert Baekhyun's attention to him. Baekhyun turned his head, allowing Jongin to see his face. Neither a nod or a yes was given by Baekhyun. Crossing his arm, Baekhyun stared blankly at Jongin. Putting down his coffee, Jongin took a lungful of air.

"Hyung, are you mad at me?" Jongin asked hesitantly. Baekhyun looked like he would eat him anytime but he did not care less. If he kept that question, later it would bother him which Jongin found it disturbing. However, Baekhyun refuse to cooperate. There was no respond.

"I'm sorry if I'd done anything wrong" Jongin apologized without knowing his own mistake. Having a tender heart, Baekhyun was moved by Jongin's effort but refuse to make it prominent. Anyone who knew Baekhyun would know Baekhyun was originally a warm and loving man with soft heart. Poor Jongin could not see that side of Baekhyun, at least yet.

"You've done nothing wrong. So can you please hurry up? I've to get your father" Jongin cracked a smile upon hearing Baekhyun's voice. Even his voice was stern, at least he responded. Keeping his smile, Jongin stood up.

"Let's go home"

...

"Areum-ah, I know I've done unforgivable sins. I would be lying if I said I don't miss Baekhyun and his father. I miss embracing Baekhyun in my arm, caressing him, being his mother. But, I'm too afraid to face them. I'm embarrassed. I'm a coward Areum-ah. Baekhyun hates me. And I don't have the right to blame him anyway. I left him. I guess it's a bless he become my husband's driver. At least I can see him every day. It's more than enough"

A sigh escaped from Areum's lips as Goeun's voice kept replaying at the back of her mind. It was a surprise to her. Never did crossed her mind that Goeun already remorsed on what she had done to her family in the past. There was still love for Baekhyun in Goeun's heart. And, so did Baekhyun. Areum just had to find that love which was burried so deep inside Baekhyun's heart.

"What are you thinking so hard?" Areum swirled her head around as a deep voice hit her eardrum. A sweet smile greeted her as they faced each other. 

"Chanyeol-ah, you should be resting!" Areum chided. Ignoring Areum's command, Chanyeol chortled. Slowly, Chanyeol lifted his hand and brought his index finger near the bridge of Areum's nose. Gently, he smoothened the crease.

"Don't frown too much Areum-ah" Chanyeol chuckled. Areum's lips curled upwards, forming a smile. Chanyeol was indeed a happy virus. His smile, his laugh, were fatally contagious. How she hoped Chanyeol would not die...

"Good girl!" Chanyeol ruffled Areum's hair, messing it a little but Areum did not mind. She would miss Chanyeol touch after this. Regret was the last thing she wanted. However the smile on Areum's face faded away as Goeun and Baekhyun filled her mind again. 

"What's wrong?" Chanyeol asked, noticing the change in Areum's expression. Did not give the answer straight away,  Areum threw her gaze to the dark sky. The sky was gloomy without stars, as well as her mind, gloomy without light. 

in a lungful of air, Areum opened , spilling all her heart. About Hongbin, Goeun, Baekhyun and their complicated relation. Chanyeol decided to remain silent, giving the girl the opportunity to express herself. At time he would nod, confirming that he still lend his ears.

"So what's your plan?" Chanyeol spoke up after he made sure Areum had done talking. Honestly, as well as Areum, he wanted Baekhyun to reconcile with his mom badly. He knew Baekhyun longed for his mom, as much as he murmured the word 'mom' in his sleep. 

"Can you help me?"

 

 

 

I'm bad at angst sorry. Anyway thank you for lending me your eyes to read this story =)) Comments are much appreciated =))