chapter 6

13:00 am

Areum could not keep her mind in peace. No matter how hard she tried, Baekhyun occupied her thought. It was not that worse when Chanyeol was around. That guy knew how to distract her. His story about himself always drifted her away. Now that Chanyeol already gone to work, the worrisome became severe.

The scene in the park kept replaying at the back of her mind. Areum could not forget the look on Baekhyun's face at that critical moment. She knew that guy tried his best to hide his pain and she admitted that Baekhyun was good at it. He was indeed a good actor.

Areum groaned in frustration. She herself could not fathom the reason why she was so bothered over this matter. Baekhyun was just a guy who helped her. He was not that special to the point that she had to worry for him but that was happening right now.

The girl guessed she had lost control of herself because she found herself standing in front of the cafe Baekhyun worked in. This was the best way to cure her chaotic mind. Areum needed to make sure Baekhyun was fine which she highly doubted he would.

Taking a lungful of air, Areum walked in. The scent of bread and coffee wafted in the air, seducing anyone who came. It had the kind of power which made a stomach growled in hunger and throat parched in thirst but amazingly Areum survived from it. The girl was too disturbed by Baekhyun. She swirled her head around the cafe, looking for him.

"Yes miss?" A man greeted Areum with a smile on his face, trying his best to serve the customer.

"I'm looking for Baekhyun" Areum exclaimed.

"Mr Byun? I'm sorry but he doesn't come to work today. Do you want to leave any message?" The man took out a notebook from his pocket.

"No. It's fine. Thank you" Areum refused politely. The uneasiness feeling elevated right away. The girl was now sure that Baekhyun was not fine all. She needed to find him. Areum did not know what she could do but at least she could see him.

"By the way, do you know where Baekhyun lives?" Areum asked. That was the last place she could think of.

"I don't know but...wait a second" The man turned around and craned his neck, looking for someone.

"Minseok hyung!!" The man hollered a name that Areum did not recognize. Then the man named Minseok appeared from the counter.

"What?" Minseok trudged towards them in a very cocky way. Without he realizing, he left a bad impression on Areum.

"This girl asks where Baekhyun lives. Hyung knows right?" The man asked. Minseok snorted.

"That arrogant brat? Walk straight from here. Turn left, you'll see a park. Then, first apartment" Minseok explained nonchalantly. Areum could sniff his dislike towards Baekhyun.

"Tha-"

"If you see that punk, tell him..don't think Mrs Seo likes him, he can do anything he wants! If he wants to work, work properly!" Minseok snapped. He huffed in rage and stomped away, leaving Areum in bizarre.

What the hell is wrong with that guy?!

"I'm sorry. He's a little bit sensitive about Baekhyun" the other man apologized on Minseok's behalf.

"It's fine. By the way thank you" Areum bowed before thanking the man.

"You're welcome"

...

Hyoju tasted her seaweed soup, making sure it was not too salty or too bland. Satisfied, Hyoju stirred the soup for the last time before turning off the stove. Shifting to the rice cooker, Hyoju checked the rice. Seeing that the rice was done, the woman set the meal properly.

Done, Hyoju paced closer to Beomseok. The man was scribbling on his notebook. Hyoju picked up the papers crumpled by Beomseok, avoiding more mess. The woman even took the scattered clothes and placed it in the respected place. Sometimes, she would bring a few clothes home.

Hyoju saw Baekhyun as his son. So she did not mind to help that independent boy with house chores. True, Baekhyun only asked her to cook for his father when he worked but Hyoju felt responsible to do some simple house chores as well. Even Baekhyun did not show his tiredness, Hyoju knew he was.

"Beomseok-ah, let's eat. The rice is still warm" Hyoju tapped Beomseok lightly on his shoulder.


"Beomie wants to finish this" Beomseok insisted, fixing his eyes to his notebook.

"It-"

The ringing of the bell startled Hyoju. A frown formed on her wrinkled forehead. It was rare to have visitor at this hour. No, no one ever visited Beomseok. Impossible it was Baekhyun. That boy was still working at this hour and would not come back until evening. Slowly, Hyoju made her way to the front door.


"Baekhyun-ah" 

Hyoju heard a girl's voice. The frown became more prominent as it was an unfamiliar voice. The only girl she had ever saw with Baekhyun was Baekhyun's girlfriend, Yejin. Hyoju was sure that voice was not Yejin's. Nevertheless, she opened the door, revealing a sweet-looking girl with long ash brown hair.

"Yes miss. May I help you?" Hyoju asked.

"I'm looking for Baekhyun. The halmeoni I met earlier said Baekhyun lives here" the girl flashed a smile.

"Oh yes. But he's working right now. May I know who're you?" Hyoju questioned. 

"I'm Areum. Baekhyun's friend" Areum introduced herself and bowed politely.

The sound of a glass crashed made Hyoju turned her head immediately. Areum who was also shocked by the sound craned her neck, trying to find the source. In hustle, Hyoju ran inside, leaving Areum. The curious girl could not refrain herself from following Hyoju.

"Beomseok-ah! Stay there! I'll get you okay?" Hyoju held her breath when she saw scattered pieces of glass around Beomseok feet. Areum watched in silent.

Beomseok stood straight without moving, listening to Hyoju's order. Hyoju paced slowly towards Beomseok and crouched down. She picked all the scattered glass before putting Beomseok to a sit at the dining table. 

"Beomie wants to drink" Beomseok murmured.

"Okay but use the plastic one okay. Baekhyun told you to use the blue one right?" Hyoju sighed. Beomseok nodded subtly. Hyoju turned around and realized that she had forgotten her guest for a brief moment. 

"Oh I'm sorry. Baekhyun's dad is mentally disabled so I hope you understand" Hyoju apologized for sudden scene.

"He is Baekhyun's dad?" 

...

"Beomseok became mentally disabled due to an accident. It happened when Baekhyun was 9 years old. Despite his young age, Baekhyun took care of his father alone. He matured fast and I'm proud of him. That time, he wanted to quit school but I said don't. My late husband and I helped him that time. Once he finished high school, he started working" Areum listened to Hyoju as she stared at Beomseok who was eating his lunch.

"So, you're his relatives?" Areum asked.

"No I'm not. My late husband was Beomseok's secretary. When Beomseok was healthy, he took care of our family really well. He helped us and treated us like his family, not as his worker. So, we wanted to pay him back" Hyoju explained.

"Your late husband is Beomseok's secretary? What did he do?" Areum's curiosity cracked a smile on Hyoju's face.

"Beomseok had his own company. It was a very successful company until one day it went bankrupt because of this and that" Hyoju's answer made Areum gaped.

 

Baekhyun's background touched Areum. That guy was strong. She did not think she would survive if she was in Baekhyun's shoes. He needed to look after his father alone at a young age. To compare her problem with Baekhyun, she realized she was far luckier. At least, she still has a healthy parents. Having a mentally disabled father was one, now his damn girlfriend cheated on him! Does that girl aware of his boyfriend's situation?!

"Where is Baekhyun's mom?" Areum's question made Hyoju speechless. Looking at Hyoju's flustered face, Areum sensed something was wrong. Did not want to push for an answer, Areum decided to change the subject.

"Emmm, by the way, Baekhyun doesn't come home yet?" Areum asked.

"Yeah. Usually, he'll return at late evening. Try look for him at the cafe" Hyoju suggested, did not aware that Baekhyun skipped working today.

"Y-yes, thank you ahjumma" Areum suppressed herself from telling the truth to Hyoju.

"Ahjumma, do you know the place where Baekhyun loves to go?" Areum asked. She needed to find Baekhyun or else her heart would not be at peace.

"Hangang park. He really loves to go there. Why?" Hyoju raised her brow.

"Nothing. Just curious" Areum lied. 

The girl wanted to see Baekhyun so damn bad. She wanted to hold him and patted his back saying it was fine. Areum wanted to sooth him. But there was a problem. 

Where on earth is that Hangang Park?!

...

"Useless!" Areum kicked all the small stones on the road as she walked back home, accentuating the feeling of despair. Areum did not have any idea how to find Baekhyun. A sigh escaped from Areum's lips. The girl wished she was born as human at the moment. Human world was complicated for her. She did not know a thing about this world!

Areum scratched her hair and pulled it exasperatedly. The girl stopped her steps and stood amid the passer-by. She looked up at the sky, praying for a miracle. The nth sigh escaped her lips again. Averting her gaze from the sky, Areum's eyes roamed around. That was when she caught a familiar figure walking across the road.

Baekhyun!

As precious as gold, Areum did not waste her time. She managed to follow Baekhyun's trail. Areum kept her distance from Baekhyun not too close yet not too far. Just enough to make sure that guy did not vanish from her vision. Judging from the route Baekhyun took, he was not leading home. Areum memorized it right away.

When Baekhyun stopped, Areum stopped. When Baekhyun jogged, Areum jogged. When Baekhyun walked, Areum walked. The girl copied every single thing that the boy did. Tiredness seemed dawning in Areum but not in Baekhyun. Ignoring it, Areum kept following him until they arrived at a park.

Areum assumed it was Hangang Park. It was written on the signboard she found earlier. Hyoju Ahjumma was right. Baekhyun really loved this place. He chose this place out of all. While following Baekhyun, Areum's eyes wandered around the park. It was very vast that Areum could not even see the end. 

Cycling, strolling, skating and even dating were the activities Areum could notice. The girl guessed this park was a center of attention. Judging from its scenery and surrounding, no wonder there were many crowds even at this hour. Baekhyun finally stopped at a less crowded spot. The man picked a bench that was a little separated from the others.

Baekhyun threw his gaze towards Hangang river lain in front of him. Its view never failed to put the weak heart of his in peace. The guy closed his eyes as he tried to revel in the calmness. Areum in the other hand observed his every move without leaving any single thing. Baekhyun's eyes fluttered open. A smile cracked on his face.

"You can come out now" Baekhyun chuckled.

Areum flinched in shock. The girl turned her head left and right, trying to figure out with whom Baekhyun spoke to. Nobody was around except her. Areum gulped in anxiety. Is he talking to me? 

"Areum-ah...come here" Baekhyun swirled his head around and smiled. He patted an empty spot next to him, beckoning Areum to sit.

Areum bit her lower lips. Being caught red handed blew her mind for a brief moment. Areum was impressed by Baekhyun's keen sense. Slowly, the girl trudged towards Baekhyun and sat beside him. His scent immediately wafted into Areum's nose. Areum wondered what perfume did he wear because it smelt damn good!

"Are your hobby is following people around?" Baekhyun asked with a chuckle, amused by Areum's weird behavior.

"S-sorry. I-it's not like that" Areum could not help herself from stumbling with her words. Nobody knew how much she was trembling inside.

"It's fine" Baekhyun murmured without looking at Areum. Instead, he fixed his gaze at the river. Areum mustered her courage to look at Baekhyun.

"I just want to see if you're fine...." Areum's words hit hard on Baekhyun. He gulped unwittingly but kept his calm demeanor. Fine? The guy himself could not figure out his situation.

 

Both of them fell into a deep silence. Neither of them spoke. Baekhyun kept gazing at the view in front of him. Areum? The view did not bother her. Areum fixed her gaze at Baekhyun. She wondered how did this man can keep a smile on his face after all he had been through today. Is he really fine?

"So you saw her. Don't you?" Baekhyun's question shook Areum's sense.

"Huh?" Areum blinked her eyes in bafflement. 

"That girl. At the park" Baekhyun smiled but somehow the smile looked fake. His shield cracked a little.

"Uh? Ahh yes...." Areum nodded. 

"That girl is my girlfriend. I'm surprised to see her. Hahaha. She said...she said-" Baekhyun halted. Areum noticed a change in his expression but remained silence, giving space for Baekhyun to finish his words.

"She said she's overseas. She...she-" Baekhyun stopped again. He took a lungful of air and closed his eyes tight. 

Areum could see how hard Baekhyun tried to suppress the urge to cry. To Areum surprised, her heart also ached. Without her knowing, her hand already at Baekhyun's back. Losing her own mind, Areum pulled Baekhyun closer to her and embraced him.

"Cry. It's fine" Areum whispered. She Baekhyun's back gently. Unwittingly, tears trickled down her cheek.

"She..she lied. That girl...lied" The tears he had been holding for the entire day finally burst. The comfort Areum's offered broke his shield. Baekhyun hated to cry in front of people because it made him looked weak. He wondered what kind of power that Areum possessed to falter his defense. It's fine to be weak sometimes...right?

Baekhyun's silent sob wrenched Areum's heart even more. She tightened her embrace, soothing the latter. Unconsciously, Areum's pupil dilated. Baekhyun's life span appeared in front of Areum.

It read...

3 months...

 

 

 

Busy busy busy with life. By the way thanks for reading and subscribing =) Love you XOXO