Chapter 18

13:00 am

"It's not Baekhyun hyung's fault mom. He saved me. If he was not there, I think I'm a corpse right now"

Goeun let out a sigh. Another mistake. She did another mistake. At the worst time as well. That son of hers just lost his friend and she made it worse. The chance to mend their relationship was doomed in just a second.

Goeun raised her right hand and brought it in front of her. If she was not in her mind, she had long cut that hand of hers. The hatred she had for herself at that moment was undescribable. She would never forgive herself as long as Baekhyun did not forgive her. Never.

"Dear, are you okay?" The soft voice of her husband greeted her. Goeun turned her head towards Hongbin. The man of hers was looking at her dearly. 

Hongbin noticed his wife's changes. Goeun seemed zoning out lately. She was talking less than usual and sometimes Hongbin heard her crying. His wife was just not being herself. Jongin noticed it too as he mentioned it to him.

"Is there anything bothering you?" Hongbin tucked a strand of Goeun's hair behind her ear. His finger then traced his wife's cheek and caressed it fondly. 

The affection showered by Hongbin was weakening Goeun. She admitted she had been neglecting him for the past weeks. There was a chaos in her mind and she could not afford to tell her husband. Looking at his face made her even guiltier. 

But, tonight, she really needed his comfort. Without thinking twice, she ran into Hongbin's arms. Goeun burst into tears in her husband's warm embrace. In seconds, Hongbin's shirt was soaked with tears. 

"Goeun-ah, what's wrong? Did I hurt you? I'm sorry. Or is it Jongin?" Goeun shook her head subtly, still had her face burried in Hongbin's chest. Hongbin was surprised by Goeun's sudden act. Nevertheless, he Goeun's hair, soothing his wife.

"If you have any problem, tell me. So that I can help you" Goeun's cry became louder. Surprise, Hongbin pulled Goeun closer to him. Did not have any idea what was going on exactly, Hongbin just tightened his embrace in hope he could calm Goeun.

Honey I'm sorry I can't tell you

I promise when I'm ready, I will tell you everything.

My past that I keep from you and who I am


...

Areum's eyes fluttered open to the noise in the kitchen. Rubbing her eyes, she shot up and stood straight. Blinking her eyes a few times, Areum looked around to see an unfamiliar surrounding. It then dawned to her she was in Baekhyun's room. Her eyes then dropped on a paper beside her. Her list.

Did Baekhyun see it?

Shoving the paper back into her pocket, Areum then made her way out. She was greeted with the sight of Baekhyun making a breakfast. Beomseok was already awake. Gripping his spoon, the father was waiting patiently for his son.

"Oh Areum-ah. I'm about to wake you up. Come here. Let's have breakfast together" noticing Areum at the doorframe, Baekhyun beckoned Areum to come closer.

With a smile, Areum nodded. The girl then took a place beside Beomseok. Her eyes widened in surprise to see a lot of food on the table. They looked really delicious to the point Areum doubted Baekhyun made them.

"Why? You don't believe that I make all these?" Baekhyun asked as if he could read what was on the girl's mind. Baekhyun took a seat in front of Areum before placing a bowl of rice in front of Beomseok.

"Dad, eat slowly. This soup is hot so blow it first, okay?" Beomseok nodded to Baekhyun's reminder before digging into his food.

"You can read my mind?" Areum gasped in disbelief.

"Your expression tells me everything" Baekhyun chuckled.

"When did you come back?" Baekhyun questioned after taking a mouthful of rice.

"Yesterday. Sorry I came here without telling you and for sleeping here too" Areum lowered her gaze as well as her voice. 

"There is nothing you have to sorry for. And I'm the one that letting you have a night here. So you did nothing wrong" Baekhyun uttered with his stuffed mouth, close to a mumble. Seeing Areum who still kept her head lowered, Baekhyun continued.

"And I miss you" it was faint but sharp enough to enter Areum's ear. Slowly, the girl lifted her head up, meeting her eyes with Baekhyun's. The gaze he had in his eyes unwitttingly formed a knot in Areum's stomach. Areum gulped nervously. Her mind told her to look away but her heart stated the otherwise.

"Eat" Baekhyun was the one who broke the gaze. Scooping another mouthful of rice, he continued eating.

"Uh? A-yes" Areum sneaked a glance at Baekhyun before she continued on eating. It was then she remembered something important. 

"Baekhyun-ah" Areum called for Baekhyun's attention. Still focusing on his food, Baekhyun answered with a hum.

"You're the one that carry me to your room last night, aren't you?" Areum asked.

"Yes I'm. Why? You feel bad for making me carry your heavy body?" Baekhyun denied the fact that Areum was actually very light that he thought he was carrying an elementary school kid. Nevertheless, Areum shook her head and let out a chuckle.

"No it's not the case. I just wonder, if you see-" Areum bit her lips, contemplating whether she would ask or not. 

"That paper? I found it on the floor. I thought it was yours so I put it beside you. Is it not yours?" Baekhyun tried to hide the fact that he had read the list.

"Oh yes it's mine. Thank you" Areum muttered.

"Did you-" Baekhyun hit Areum on her head with his spoon, bringing Areum to a stop. 

"Baekhyun-ah! It hurts!" Areum rubbed her head with a grunt.

"You think I read it don't you? I don't. Stop being suspicious at me. I'm not someone who like to intrude other's privacy. So, don't worry. Enough. Just eat quietly okay?" Baekhyun beckoned Areum to eat. 

"You don't, right? Haha. It's a relief then" being an innocent girl, Areum believe in Baekhyun's words. The girl light-heartedly continued eating, completely fooled by Baekhyun's lies.

...

Almost dying of boredom, Areum decided to step out from Chanyeol's condominium. Staying indoor a bit longer would not do her any good. She would end up seeing Chanyeol everywhere. So going outside was the best choice.

Did not have any idea where she was heading, Areum just followed wherever her feet took her. After about 30 minutes walk, she found herself in the department store where she first went with Chanyeol and Baekhyun. A smile crept on her face to the memory.

The department store was not as crowded as it was during weekend, allowing Areum to heave a sigh of relief. The girl was having a hard time as she still could not overcome her anxiety among a crowd of human completely. 

After strolling from one floor to another, enjoying her window shopping, Areum decided to give her legs a rest. Laying her on a bench, Areum then looked around for something to munch. Her eyes then caught a clothes retailer. A switch was clicked in Areum's mind. Baekhyun's present!

Despite the fact that she just had a rest after hours of walking, Areum got up on her feet and made her way to the retailer. As she entered, the scent of lavender wafted in the air which pleased the customers including Areum. Instead of going to woman section, she walked straight to man section.

"Yes miss? May I help you?" A salesgirl greeted Areum with a smile, startling her.

"A-a yes" Areum stuttered causing the salesgirl to let out a chuckle.

"Sorry I surprise you. What kind of clothes are you looking for? I can give some suggestions" The salesgirl offered her help.

"Em, I'm looking for something casual" Areum answered.

"Emm..okay how about this one?" After rummaging through all collections, the salesgirl took out a light-blue long-sleeve shirt and a white jumper to be paired with. Areum smiled as she imagined Baekhyun wearing them. 

"Okay I'll take it" Areum nodded in the sign of agreement.

"Your boyfriend must be so happy to receive a present from his beautiful girlfriend" the salesgirl muttered as she managed the packaging. Areum swore her body went numb for a while. A question popped out of Areum's mind. A question even she did not know the answer. What is our relationship? We look for each other and we care for each other. The scene of Baekhyun and her kissing on that one night which she would never forgot appeared in front of her. The kiss they avoided to talk about. The kiss they never mentioned. The kiss without explanation.

"Miss? Miss?" The salesgirl's voice cut Areum's thought.

"Here" the girl handed Areum the shopping bag.

"Thank you" Areum bowed before leaving.

As she walked back home, the thoughts did not leave her.

Who is Baekhyun to me?

...

Baekhyun was thinking of giving himself a break since Hongbin was overseas for three days. He was planning to spend time with his father and lied in front of the television all day. However that plan of his when doomed when he got a call from Jongin to fetch him from school. As if it was not enough, that boy dragged him to a cafe to accompany him.

So here was Baekhyun, in front of Jongin who was enjoying his warm coffee. That boy's arm was not fully healed but he was not wearing a cast anymore. The bruise he had on his chiseled face was almost healed as well since they were not obvious. Baekhyun hated to admit but he felt relieve to see Jongin was recovering well. Well enough he could smile so wide as if Baekhyun was doing something so pleasant to him.

"Why are you staring at me like that?" Baekhyun asked. He felt a little bit uncomfortable by Jongin's unreadable gaze that was boring a hole in him.

"Because I'm happy you're here" Jongin's unexpected answer made Baekhyun lost of words. Awkward, Baekhyun took a sip of his coffee. Little Jongin let out a chuckle, amused by Baekhyun.

"Emm, how's your injury?" Baekhyun asked, initiating a conversation which he himself was surprised by what he had just done.

"It's fine" Jongin informed. Taking a bread in front of him, he brought it to his mouth and took a bite.

"Ah! I still don't say my thank you properly. Thank you hyung! If not for you, I must be dead already" Jongin mumbled with bread stuffed in his mouth. His cheeks was puffy from the bread and Baekhyun could not deny that Jongin looked so adorable. But, he decided to keep the compliment himself.

"What happened actually? How can you get yourself into those bastards?" Fail to hide his curiousity, Baekhyun asked. Instead of giving answer right away, Jongin threw the last bite of bread into his mouth and sipped his coffee. Baekhyun's eyes followed every action until Jongin spoke up.

"I hang out with his girlfriend" Jongin said casually as if it was not a problem. Baekhyun's eyes widened in shock.

"Wait. You what?!" Baekhyun accidentally raised his voice, drawing the attraction from the other customers. Realized that he was too loud, Baekhyun bowed a few times to apologize.

"You hang out with his girlfriend?! How old are you?! Are you crazy?!" Baekhyun hissed. Jongin let out a chuckle, confusing Baekhyun.

"Yes. I, Kim Jongin, hang out with his girlfriend. I'm 16 years old and I'm still sane. It's not my fault anyway. His girlfriend is the one that pest around me, asking for my number. So it is his fault that he cannot take care of his girlfriend. Not mine" Jongin explained.

"And the word hang out is not a correct word actually. She offered to buy a coffee for me and since she insisted, how should I resist? It's my favorite drink anyway. So we walked together and that was when his crazy possesive boyfriend caught us" Jongin said calmly while having the last sip of his coffee. 

"It's hard to be handsome" Jongin bragged while fixing his bang. His contentment made Baekhyun wanted to throw up. 

"Whatever kid" Baekhyun rolled his eyes. The man then threw his gaze to the outside, drown in his own thought. In the other hand, Jongin's eyes did not leave Baekhyun. The boy was actually planning something in his mind. A plan that lead him asking Baekhyun to pick him up from school.

"Hyung" Jongin called out nervously. Baekhyun turned his head to have a look at Jongin. Baekhyun raised a brow.

"Would you have a dinner at my house tomorrow night?"  Jongin's request was like a bullet pierced through Baekhyun's heart. Baekhyun did not utter a word. Instead, he turned his head away. His heart was still bleeding.

"Hyung. Please...... Just this time. I promise" Jongin pleaded. 

"Uh? Will you? Hyung..." Jongin tried to met Baekhyun's eyes.

"Have you done? Let's go home" Baekhyun stood up and paced towards the entrance, leaving Jongin behind.

Jongin sighed. It's not gonna be easy.

...

Baekhyun went numb when Goeun suddenly threw herself into the car and sat beside him. Did not cross his mind that Goeun would be home that day. The woman even stood in front of the gate and rushed inside the car. Baekhyun eyed Jongin from the rear mirror, asking for some explanation. However the boy just rubbed the nape of his neck while throwing his gaze outside.

"Jongin-ah, go inside first. I want to talk with Baekhyun hyung" Goeun said with a smile. Jongin nodded and hastily went out of the car. Baekhyun snorted. So they planned all these huh?

"Baekhyun-ah" Goeun called her son. 

"There's nothing to talk about. I'll excuse myself" Baekhyun was about to leave but Goeun was faster. She snatched Baekhyun by the arm, did not give him a chance to escape. 

"Son, I-" 

"I'm not your son" Baekhyun snapped coldly. He yanked his arm from Goeun's grasp.

"Baekhyun-ah. I-I'm sorry about that day. I admit I act carelessly. I act before thinking" Goeun lowered her voice. Baekhyun noticed regret in her tone but decide to be nonchalant.

"Ahh. So you know? Good then! But, it's not a surprise though. It's just how you are, isn't it? Just like 16 years ago" Baekhyun smirked. Goeun felt like a hard lump was formed in , hindering her from uttering any word. Baekhyun shot her a glare before attempting to escape. But Goeun was not letting his son go this time.

"What?!" Baekhyun roared when his arm once again, grabbed by Goeun.

"Baekhyun-ah. Please give mom a chance. Let's have a dinner together. Me, you and Jongin. Don't get mad at Jongin because I'm the one that ask him" Goeun pleaded.

"No, I refuse. No one will take care of my dad at night" Baekhyun answered right away, did not even give it a second thought. 

"Alright. So, I'll come to your house. I can see your dad as well" Goeun suggested. It was not like she did not know Baekhyun was looking for thousand of excuses in order not to comply her request.

"No you can't!" Baekhyun refused. No way he would allow Goeun to see Beomseok. She did not deserve to.

"Please, give me a chance. Just this one time. I just want to have a proper meal with you, at least once. It's been a long time since I last met you. Is it too hard for you to fulfill? I promise, only this time" Goeun did not give up. Baekhyun kept his stoic expression until this one line that struck him.

"I-I miss you" Baekhyun bit his lips. The man immediately looked away from Goeun, tried to hide his wavering heart. 

"Baekhyun-ah" Goeun tried to hold Baekhyun's hand but Baekhyun yanked it away.

"I love you. No matter what you do, I will still love you" Goeun muttered under her breath. Tears started to well in her eyes, blurring her vision. Baekhyun did not know what had gone wrong with him because he remained in the car. No matter how bad he wanted to run away, but there was this little voice in his head, asking him to stay and it did its job well.

"Please. This time only" Goeun pleaded again and again.

The urge to say no was hindered when suddenly the image of Chanyeol appeared in front of his eyes, surprising him. Chanyeol was smiling but that smile was not the smile he usually had. It was a sorrowful smile. It was so vivid that Baekhyun had to blink for a few times. 

Baekhyun-ah. Use this chance to make up with your mom. I know you won't let me down

"Baekhyun-ah?" Goeun tapped Baekhyun lightly on his shoulder when she noticed his son was not responding for a long time. Baekhyun had this shock expression on his face as if he just saw a ghost. She turned her head to Baekhyun's direction to see what was in front.

"Uh?" Baekhyun flinched to Goeun's touch. Goeun quirked her brow.

"Tomorrow night. I'll come over" Baekhyun said shortly before rushing out of the car, making his way home.

Goeun smiled widely

 

 

Thank you for reading and subscribing =))) Today I've heard that EXO gonna have their comeback in 3rd quarter of the year yeay!!! I hope it will be in July or August TT In September I will be super busy as I will further my study :')