chapter 10

13:00 am

Hongbin's brown eyes were glued to the document in front of him, skimming important things. He propped his head up at the arm rest, suppressing the urge to sleep. His eyes were so heavy, forcing Hongbin to drift to the dreamland. But as a person who loathed procrastination, Hongbin persevere.

"Honey, you're tired. Just sleep" Hongbin raised his head upon hearing his lovely wife's voice. The woman planted a kiss on his forehead before resting herself on a fauteuil next to Hongbin. A smile formed on his tired face.

"Just a little bit more" Hongbin replied with the deep voice of his. Looking at his beautiful wife, his intention to continue on his reading disrupted. Her wife's chiseled face was intriguing him more. 

"Why do you look enthrally beautiful tonight?" Hongbin's seducing smile bloomed flowers in Goeun's heart. Her husband never failed to melt her little heart. Hongbin completed her life.

"Honey..." Goeun grinned sheepishly. Heat rose to her cheek as Hongbin's gaze fixed on her face.

Noticing his wife's reddened cheek, a husky chuckle escaped Hongbin's lips. Even though they had married for years, the feeling of newlywed was still lingering between them, resulting to a long-lasting, happy marriage. Goeun was everything to him.

"Where's our grown-up hero?" Hongbin asked. He did not see his boy after dinner. Usually, his boy would pester around his mother like a 5 years old kid. 

"He's asleep. Your boy had soccer practice this evening" Geoun explained. 

"I see. Soccer is soccer but make sure he never neglect his study" Hongbin reminded. 

His son's passion towards soccer was overloaded. As a loving and understanding father, he supported everything that his boy wanted as long as that boy knew how to manage his time and Hongbin was sure of his son's ability. His son proved him right with his flying colours results and Hongbin was very proud of him.

"Yes. You know Jongin well honey. He is not that kind of boy" Goeun reached for her husband's hand and it gently. As much as her husband, she believed in her son as well.

Hongbin gazed deeply into Goeun's loving eyes and creased a smile. Words could not describe how much he loved Goeun. They stared at each other for a while before a call interrupted their romantic moment together. Hongbin grunted and picked up the call. Goeun could not hide her smile.

"Yes. Hongbin speaking" Hongbin introduced himself as the call came from an unknown number.

"Hongbin ssi?" A guy's voice welcomed Hongbin's ear. A frown formed on Hongbin's forehead as he tried to recognized the voice. 

"Yes. Who's speaking?" Hongbin's frown became more prominent.

"I'm Baekhyun. Byun Baekhyun" Baekhyun introduced himself. 

"Oh! I remember you! You're the one at the mall that day right?" Hongbin relaxed as he recognized Baekhyun. He really was in debt with Baekhyun. If not for him, Hongbin would be in great trouble. Gouen cocked her brow, confused by her husband sudden change.

"Yes" Baekhyun was quite surprise. He did not expect Hongbin to remember him. Hongbin was a busy businessman after all.

"Did I disturb you?" Baekhyun asked. He decided to call Hongbin at night as he presumed Hongbin would be busy during the day.

"No. Not at all. So, what can I help you? Just say it" Hongbin exclaimed. He himself was waiting for the call actually. For a brave man like Baekhyun, reciprocating his kindness was a must.

Baekhyun glanced at his father who was sleeping soundly in the living room. Looking at his father, Baekhyun gained a sort of determination. He had to survive in order for his father to survive. Taking a lungful of air, Baekhyun explained his situation to Hongbin.

"So you're looking for a job? You choose the right place young man!" Hongbin chuckled.

"My driver just resigned last week and I'm still looking for a driver. So would you like to fill that vacancy?" Hongbin offered.

"Sure! Yes I would love to! Thank you Hongbin-ssi. I don't know how to express my gratitude! I really really need that job!" Baekhyun's heart leaped in bliss. The happy guy felt like flying.

 

"It's my pleasure to help someone who had helped me before" Hongbin's words were like a drug that boost Baekhyun's mood up. Baekhyun's smile widened.

"So when can I start working?" Baekhyun could not suppress his excitedness that was raging inside him. He just got a job!

"I'll be in China for two days. So I'll meet you after that. Next Monday. I'll tell the detail later. Is it fine?" Hongbin asked.

"Yes it's fine. Thanks again Hongbin-ssi" Baekhyun thanked Hongbin for the umpteenth time before ending the call.

Hongbin shook his head, amused by Baekhyun. The boy's voice clearly telling him that he was genuinely happy and Hongbin felt contented. The image of Baekhyun appeared in front of him, bringing a smile on Hongbin's face.

"Who's that?" Goeun's voice brought Hongbin back to reality.

"Remember the boy that I told you that day?" Hongbin asked his wife. Goeun nodded. She still remembered how her husband delivered the story. Full of spirit. That was how she could decribe. The boy of his husband's story somehow intrigued Goeun's interest. 

"He was the one that called. He was looking for job vacancy. Since our driver had resigned, I gave him the job" Hongbin explained.

"Without an interview?" Goeun creased her brow. Her husband was surely behaving weird. Being Hongbin's wife for years already, Goeun knew the man well. He was a cautious person. Hongbin never hired a worker without an interview even for a simplest job.

"Yes. I have the instinct that this boy is an honest boy. You know my instinct never wrong" Hongbin assured his  wife but Goeun's worrisome did not faded away.

"Don't worry. I'm sure you will love this boy" Hongbin stood up and moved closer to Goeun. He lowered down his body and planted a kiss on Goeun's forehead.

"Let's go to sleep" Hongbin took Goeun's arm and brought her into his embrace. With a coy smile, Goeun nodded. Both of them walked to their room and drifted to the dreamland.

...

Kyungsoo felt like a tons of rocks were piled all over his body. Laziness was swallowing the tired man. One of the cons of being the youngest in the Level 4 Quera was being used by his seniors which means extra works. Inevitable.

His alarm had been doing its job for the nth time but still failed to wake up his master. Kyungsoo's plan to have an extra class with his students went doom because of his tiredness. Kyungsoo was sure his students already leaped in joy. Immatured kids.

A soft chuckle alerted Kyungsoo. It sounded so vivid to be a dream. Not long after that, Kyungsoo felt something was brushing his nose. His face scrunched up to the cause. Another chuckle forced Kyungsoo to open his heavy eyelids.

The first thing that came to Kyungsoo's view was an image of a girl lying beside him while propping her head up, gazing at him. A naughty smile adorned her pretty face. Kyungsoo blinked his eyes a few times, trying to distinguish dream and reality.

"Good morning my baby soo" the girl spoke, shocking the latter. Kyungsoo shot up immediately with his jaw dropped. 

"What?! How did you.. When-"

"Hey calm down" Areum giggled. The girl moved closer to her surprised friend. Her hand reached for Kyungsoo's disheveled hair and combed it with her fingers, totally oblivious that Kyungsoo's heart thumped so hard against his chest.

"Why did you look so weak? Are you neglecting your meal again?" Areum's gaze roamed around Kyungsoo's face.

"I'm fine Areum. That's not important right now. What on earth are you doing in my room?! How did you get in?! Aren't you suppose to be in human world right now?" Kyungsoo bombarded Areum with her questions. His doziness totally disappeared.

"I'm here since last night but you're too damn tired that you don't even realize my presence. I was there when you came home last night" Areum shook her head. 

When she arrived last night, she thought of giving a surprise event to Kyungsoo. But that damn oblivious guy did not even notice the sticky note she placed on the door! All her efforts were in vain! All of her imagination of excited Kyungsoo vanished in one second. 

"Seriously? But I didn't saw you" A surge of guilt gushed all over Kyungsoo. He admitted he was exhausted last night that he did not had any strength left to even lift his finger.

"How could you notice me when you kept your head down all the time huh?" Areum tilted her head.

"I'm sorry..." Kyungsoo lowered down his voice.

Suddenly Areum felt bad for bringing the guilt out of Kyungsoo. It was not like she did not aware of Kyungsoo's job. A lecturer during the day, Quera's duty at night. Not to mention the extra works he did for his damn seniors. 

"It's fine Kyungsoo. I know you're tired. Sleep some more. I'm sorry I interrupt you" Areum patted the pillow, signaling Kyungsoo to sleep. 

"I'm not sleepy anymore. What time is it now?" Kyungsoo streched his arm to loosen his muscle.

"12 o'clock" Areum answered shortly.

Kyungsoo nodded and went down from his comfortable bed. The man grabbed his towel and walked towards his bathroom. A few steps before he reached the bathroom, Kyungsoo stopped. He turned his head and cocked his brow.

"Are you going to stay here? I want to take my shower" Kyungsoo's question brought a giggle from Areum.

"Fine. Fine. I'm out. I'll wait for you outside dear" with a light step, Areum made her way out to give Kyungsoo some space. The girl winked at Kyungsoo before disappearing. Kyungsoo shook his head, totally accustomed by Areum's playfulness. Unwittingly, a smile crept into his face.

"That's why I love you Areum"

...

"So what's the deal this time girl?" Kyungsoo blurted while taking a sip of coffee made by Areum. He was used to this kind of situation. There must be something Areum wanted from him and Kyungsoo was more than sure it was because of that Bacon.

"Do I have to have a reason to see my bestfriend?" Areum pouted. Kyungsoo rolled his eyes in annoyance. He knew Areum well enough to know her real intention.

"Okay just say that you really want to see me. So what's up with your Bacon?" Kyungsoo changed the structure of the question.

"Baek. Hyun. Baekhyun! Not Bacon!" Areum reiterated.

"Okay. Baekhyun" Kyungsoo drawled, obviously unkeen of the subject.

A smile formed on Areum's face. The thought of Baekhyun cheered her up. She could not believe she really did it. Baekhyun finally was able to regain his happiness! If he was happy, his Qweit would elevate and then his life span would increase! Such a lovely flow.

"Just spill it out. I know you're excited" Kyungsoo sighed. He tried to sooth his wrenched heart. As long as Areum is happy, I'll be happy. Kyungsoo kept replaying those lines in his head.

Failed to notice Kyungsoo's broken heart, Areum ranted about all incidents that happened in the past week. Kyungsoo could not help but bleeding inside everytime Baekhyun's name slipped from Areum's lips. Jealousy was burning inside him.

"I'm so damn happy Baekhyun got a job! I can see happiness written all over his face!" Areum chattered.

"Great! So now that Baekhyun is happy, you're going to stay here again?" Kyungsoo guessed. A glimpse of hope grown inside Kyungsoo.

"No. I'm here to ask you to check his Qweit. I'm going to stay there until Baekhyun got to expand his life-span!" Areum's words shattered Kyungsoo's hope into pieces, scattering them on the ground. 

Kyungsoo tried to hide his disappointment. He turned his head sideway to avoid Areum's gaze. Kyungsoo did not know what Areum saw in Baekhyun. His look? Kyungsoo thought that he was far way better than Baekhyun in term of look. Okay maybe he was a little bit conceited but still it hurt him.

"Kyungsoo-yaaa..." Areum placed her hand on Kyungsoo's and squeezed it lightly.

"I know I shouldn't do this but he-"

"When are you going back?" Kyungsoo snapped, refused to hear more hurtful words that would tear his heart more.

"In two days" Areum murmured.

"Okay. I'll check his Qweit tonight. Sorry but I want to check my students' papers" Kyungsoo immediately left Areum's side and paced towards his mini library, leaving Areum in blur state. 

Kyungsoo's heart bled really bad this time.

...

Baekhyun walked around the residence where Hongbin lived. The man sent him his address last night. This residence was unfamiliar for Baekhyun since he never been here before. This residence placed tons of wealthy family after all and Baekhyun was not one of them.

Baekhyun's eyes roamed around, tried to find the mansion described by Hongbin. He admitted he was a little bit fascinated by the residence. Never in his life he imagined himself stepped into this place ever again. Wealth written all over the nook and crook.

A brown-painted mansion came into Baekhyun's view. He checked Hongbin's message again to make sure he found the right place. Baekhyun creased a smile. He managed to find the mansion. Before he slipped his phone inside his pocket, a message arrived. 

                 All the best! We'll have dinner together at your place. Kol! #IMissAreum

A chuckle escaped from Baekhyun's thin lips. Chanyeol made his day with his hashtag. That guy really missed Areum. It was only two days since Areum left but Chanyeol already missed that girl and Baekhyun admitted he too, missed Areum. No one knew how much he wanted Areum to be here right now, celebrating his new job but he knew he should not be selfish. Areum had family as well.

With new spirit, Baekhyun paced closer towards the mansion, revealing a posh view of it. Baekhyun's jaw dropped by the amazing view it served. He did not know how many years he needed to get this kind of house. Maybe never. The sound of door being opened brought Baekhyun back to earth.

"Baekhyun! You're here! Having problem looking for my house?" Hongbin stepped closer to the young man, having a better view of Baekhyun.

"Annyeong haseyo" Baekhyun immediately bowed. Hongbin nodded in respond. Smile did not leave his face.

"Thanks to your good explanation I managed to find your house easily" Baekhyun smiled. Hongbin chuckled and patted Baekhyun on his shoulder.

"Praising your boss for the first day huh? Come in. I'll tell you the detail" Hongbin led Baekhyun into his luxurious mansion. 

If the outside was posh, the inside was heaven. The furniture, the floor, the design, everything was beyond Baekhyun's imagination. Suddenly it reminded Baekhyun of his childhood when he used to live in this kind of house. He would be lying if he said he did not want his old life back, when money was not a problem.

"Come here. Sit" Hongbin beckoned Baekhyun to sit across him. Baekhyun politely complied.

"Have you had your breakfast young man?" Hongbin asked.

"Oh yes" Baekhyun answered. His eyes still roamed around. This house seemed too big for a person. Does Hongbin have a family?

"I'm sorry but do you live alone?"Baekhyun asked out of curiosity. Baekhyun's question brought Hongbin to a laughter.

"No young man. Of course I've a family. This house seems too quiet huh?" Hongbin crossed his legs.

"Sort of" Baekhyun replied. He scratched his head awkwardly.

"My wife drives our son to school since the other driver is taking his leave for a month. Last week my driver also resigned. So now we did not have driver. That's why I hired you but you're working for me not my son. I'll look another one for him" Hongbin explained. Baekhyun nodded in respond.

"Honey! Why did you left the door open? I-"

Goeun paused when she noticed that her husband had a guest. Her heart skipped a beat. Same went to Baekhyun but even more severe. Baekhyun's face tightened. He tried his best to control his raging emotion.

"Oh honey. Let me introduce you, Byun Baekhyun. Baekhyun, this is my wife Goeun" Hongbin broke the brief silence. Goeun gulped. Baekhyun forced a smile. 

"Nice to meet you madam"

Mom

 

I know I know. no need to tell. I'm frustrated myself for not be able to update as much as I want. dear readers, please accept my apology. I will finish this story but don't expect a fast update =')