prologue

13:00 am

Areum's hands were cold. As cold as the weather. Her heart thumped against her chest really hard, causing her breath to become irregular. Cold sweat kept oozing from its pore. Everything seemed wrong. Areum could not stay still. For the umpteenth time, she took a glance at the clock on the wall. 12.55 a.m. 5 minutes left. 5 minutes left before her life change.  5 minutes more before their arrival. No, his arrival. 

Areum interlaced her fingers together and brought them to her forehead. She threw her gaze to the floor as if it could calm her chaotic mind. A sigh escaped from her lips. Areum lift her head and looked around her room for the last time. Her eyes stopped at a teddy bear placed on her bed. A smile formed on her face as the memory of him flashed into her mind. I hope you will live happily after this.

A knock brought in-trance Areum back to the earth. Her gaze shifted to the guy who was standing at her door frame. His smile somehow soothed her. Without being asked, the guy paced towards Areum and sat beside her. He took her hand and gave it a light squeeze, coaxing the latter. It was working as a smile was creased on the girl face. 

"You don't have to do it if you're scared Areum" the guy looked straight to the girl's eyes. The guy felt reluctant to send his best friend away but he knew nothing could change the girl's decision. He did not have any choice other than supporting her. 

Areum shook her head subtly. She moved closer to her only best friend and gave him a hug. She the back of his head gently. Her hand traveled from his head to his back and patted it lightly. Areum tried her best not to shed even a drop of tear. She would make it hard for her best friend if he saw her cried.

"Kyungsoo, thanks for everything. When I'm gone, please take care of my parents. Promise me, you will be the best Quera and...." Areum paused and pulled away from Kyungsoo. 

"Please be happy" Areum continued and tapped Kyungsoo's cheek lightly as she always did. Kyungsoo forced a smile and nodded. He bit his lower lips discreetly, refused to show his sadness in front of his best friend. He had to be tough. For Areum. His Areum.

A loud siren rang throughout the city, alerting The Quera of human's arrival. Never Kyungsoo felt, a siren could make his chest tightened this much, as much as Areum's. Areum could hear her front door was opened and then closed. She knew her parents had gone, keeping their duty as a Quera. I'll miss you mom, dad.

Kyungsoo stood up, followed by Areum. They walked together, hand in hand as Kyungsoo led the way. Kyungsoo felt his steps became heavier and heavier as they became closer to the front door. His grip on Areum's hand became tighter as he turned the door knob.

Both of them stood still in front on the yard, looking at each other eyes. Their hands still locked into each other. Kyungsoo was the first one to release Areum's hand. He brought Areum closer to him and hugged her tightly. The tears that he had been holding burst as they rolled down his cheeks. 

"I'll miss you Areum" Kyungsoo muffled in his cry, almost incoherent. They hugged each other for a long time before Areum pulled away.

"Take care Kyungsoo" Areum turned around and scurried to the direction of the city. She burst into tears as she ran far away from Kyungsoo and soon she was already sobbing.

Far enough, she halted and crouched down. She hugged her knees and bumped her face into her arms. She lifted her head after awhile and took a deep breath and calmed herself. She stood up and fixed her hair. With a new spirit, she started moving.

The clock had struck 13.00 am...

There was a guy she had to find…

She needed to give him…

Her life.

Baekhyun.....I will do anything for you…

As long as you'll be happy