Chapter 5

Memory Loss


We left the city behind us,driving in a highway,which connected the new Seoul with the countryside,but i didn't knew where exactly we were heading to,the only thing i knew, it was that the final destination wasn't any town,but a village or something. My head was turned towards the window,away from Himchan who was driving. After we left my apartment nothing came out of my mouth,not a word was exchanged,i was scared that he would shoot me but as soon as we were at his car he put his gun back to his belt. Again,i didn't say a thing. Everything happened so fast that it took me some minutes to understand a few things. First of all,Himchan had a partner or more than one. He talked to his phone twice since we left with a guy named Yongguk,discussing about something that i didn't know and couldn't guess because Himchan's answers were short,including most of them the words "yes", "no", "he's not ready". For a moment i thought that Hyosung was right,i was actually experiencing things that aren't real,there was no way something this crazy would happen to me. But,they were real,everything was real. I,also, managed to inform myself about Himchan not being a drug dealer or something else related to drugs or guns. His conversation with his partner didn't include a reference to these two and his car was clean from guns or drugs. Of course the fact that his car was clean didn't mean that Himchan was clean from these but surely gave me a hope that he didn't kidnapped me to make me a dealer. I didn't know the reason why he took me with him. Even if someone was chasing after him,he could easily leave me behind,but he didn't. That led me to the conclusion that i was someone Himchan wanted to use,someone useful for him and his partner. Suddenly i felt two fingers caressing my cheek,exactly where i was hit by Henry. I didn't dared to move,after all i didn't feel the urge to see his face,my head remained still and my eyes were scanning the green landscape we were passing by. "Who hit you?" He waited some seconds but he didn't took an answer from me,some hours ago i wasn't talking to him because i was scared,now i didn't talk because i felt anger boiling inside me. "Daehyun,i asked you something. Answer me." "Why? Are you going to shoot him like you almost did to me?" "Mmm..no. I don't feel like wasting any bullet for you. He or she just punched you in the face. Now tell me who did this to you?" Of course i didn't expect him to do something like thar but even though i hate Henry,i wouldn't tell his name to Himchan,that guy was dangerous he easily could harm Hyosung's boyfriend or -even worse- Hyosung. "It's none of your business." I turned slightly my head to Himchan,just to see him how he would react -i didn't really care but i was quite curious- but he did nothing,he was driving with his left hand while his right hand was still touching my cheek. I hated the way his hand was touching me,like he wanted to make me feel better,but all he did was to make me uncomfortable. "Don't touch me." I hissed and pushed his hand away from me. Himchan,then,made a quick eye-contact with me,searching in my eyes how i was feeling,maybe he got that i was irritated because some seconds later he looked again at the road without saying anything. "Where are we going? You are driving for almost three hours,i don't know where are we right now. Is it that difficult for you to tell me,at least where are we going?" Some minutes passed and he didn't answered me,he didn't even looked at me. I decided that it would be better if i didn't talked to him after all he didn't seem to have a desire for talking. So,i turned my head and looked outside the window.

 

It was already dark and the lights of the car were open. The scenery didn't change at all,we were still at the highway,fields of -what it looked like- lavender were some meters away from the main road and cars were still sporadically passing by, the difference was the weather. Some white snowflakes were falling from the night sky and grounding heavily on the lavander ,on the -not so crowded- highway and on the black car. "It's better for you not to know where are we going Daehyun." Himchan said out of the blue. " The only thing you need to know is that you are in good hands." In good hands? I wasn't in good hands,i was inside a car with an unknown man who i barely knew,going somewhere i don't know,for a reason i also don't know. Of course i wasn't somewhere safe. "When we were at my apartment you told me that someone found us. Who?" I heard him sighing. "You don't have to know that" I felt his hand on my head,ruffling my hair the same way that he did this morning. "At least tell me what do you want from me?" I looked at him,not really being in the mood to yell at him,this day was so weird that it made me tired. The only thing i wanted was to be back at my apartment,but right now it was probably destroyed by an order -i wasn't inform about it- that Himchan gave to Rina. "I'm not rich,I'm not famous,I'm not someone important. What the hell do you want from a guy like me?" Himchan removed his hand from my head and put it back at the steering wheel. "I told you,you are in good hands. Stop asking me questions." I started to feel angry because he wasn't interest in answering anything to me. "I'm not in good hands,I'm with someone who aimed me with a gun some hours ago! I'm with someone who kidnapped me! W-With someone who probably is chased by police or i don't know who. I demand at least one ing clear answer! Give it to me!" Himchan pushed a blue button,which was placed upon the roof of the car, near to the rear-view mirror and removed both of his hands from the steering wheel.He probably put the car in auto-driving mode. "Do you want an answer?" I looked as he took off the seat belt and turned to me. "That's what i asked for." Himchan seemed to be irritated,i was sure he wasn't going to shoot me but with him i shouldn't be totally sure for anything. "Government sent police to kill you. You are more than just a guy who works at a coffee shop" I was looking at him in disbelief,i wanted an real answer but all he did was throwing lies to my face. "The united government,really now? I did expect that you would lie to me,but that is.." I sighed. "If you don't believe me,that's your problem Daehyun. My mission for now is to make sure you are safe." He pushed again the same blue button,taking control of the expensive black car. "Your mission? So you are like a spy or something?" I crossed my hands over my chest as i was focusing my gaze to the view in front of me. "You could say so" "Now will you tell me what do you really want me for?" I saw with the corner of my eyes his palms hugging tightly the steering wheel."Daehyun,shut up. I'm trying to concentrate on driving. I told you,I'm here to protect you." I didn't believe anything that came out of his mouth,he maybe was a spy but police surely didn't chase me. I always was an law-abiding citizen,i was paying all the taxes and not even once i disobeyed the law. Police was after Himchan and he was trying to put the blame on me.

 

Suddenly we stopped. The time right now was about eleven o'clock and Himchan pulled over his car to an empty side road near to a forest. He got out of the car and in a split of seconds he opened the door next to me,holding the same black rucksack in his right hand . " Get out." "You finally are going to let me free?" He reached his left hand grabbing me by the arm and pulling me out. "We have to walk for about ten minutes and we'll be somewhere safe" Himchan took out his grey coat and placed it on my shoulders. "Here. It's still snowing and your jacket isn't warm enough" He turned his back to me as he was looking in the forest near us. I noticed his gun was still in his black belt and the car keys where in his left pocket. That was my last chance to escape from him,i would grab the gun,threat him to give me the keys and that's it,i will be free. So,after wearing properly the coat he gave to me, with a soft move i reached my hand to grab his gun when Himchan was busy looking at the snowy forest in front of him and -unexpectedly- i manage not only to take the silver gun from his belt but also to be unnoticed,as he was still looking without making any move to prevent me from escaping. I touched the back of his head with the gun and extended my hand to him. "Give me the car keys" Himchan chuckled and turned to look at me,like i wasn't holding a gun in my hand,he was so relaxed making it harder for me to look tougher. Surely i even didn't know how to shoot,but that was something that he didn't know,or i hoped that he didn't. "Daehyun,we have no time for games. Give me the gun,we should get started." I shook my head as i had still my hand extended and the gun pointing at him. "I'm serious. Give me the car keys or I'm going to shoot." "Yeah,like you know how to even hold properly a gun" With a quick move of his hand the gun wasn't now in my hands but in his. "You didn't take off the safety,you know that? Like what? Were you gonna shoot me with the safety on?" He laughed as he was putting my key of freedom back to his belt. "Let's go". He started walking towards the forest. My first attempt to escape went in vain but as i started walking too, i noticed that we were close to the highway,some cars were still passing there,if i could run towards the road -and if i were lucky- a car would stop for me,taking me from there. The plan of just running away from Himchan wasn't a brilliant one,the chances of escaping were few but it would be better from just following his orders. So. i run. I run as quickly as i could,forcing myself to keep on going,trying not to listen the threats and the curses that were coming out from Himchan's mouth as he was running behind me,having my eyes focused on the highway for a car that would safe my life. We were running for almost a minute alongside the forest and the side road ,his black aventador now wasn't to be found and the highway was some meters away from me. For a second time,my attempt went in vain as his hand grabbed forcefully my shoulder,pushing me towards the forest. This sudden move had me falling to the snow,taking accidentally Himchan with me when i took a hold of his grey turtleneck. I heard the siren of a patrol car passing by us without the car stopping -another chance of escaping was moving away from me,great-. "Are you ing crazy? How stupid are you Daehyun? Not only you left but almost you would put us in danger!" Himchan moved away from my body some seconds later and stood up. "I told you police is chasing us! Do you know what would we be now if police saw us running? Dead. We would be ing dead" He sighed. "Take this and get up" He throw the rucksack to me that -miraculously- still manage to have, after taking out of it a flashlight which immediately turned it on. I took the rucksack and got up without looking at him,i expected that he would shoot me for not following his order but Himchan just yelled at me,scolding me. He indeed was trying to keep me alive. "You didn't tell me why police is looking for me." I dared to mumble as i was walking to him "Just ing walk and don't talk." He hissed.

 

We were wandering around the forest silently,neither of us said a word as we were walking at the unknown forest. A thought that Himchan brought me here to kill me passed my mind but soon faded away,he had enough chances to kill me,he wouldn't put himself through these just to kill me in the forest. It was also still snowing making walking more difficult. I looked at Himchan and realized that i was still wearing his coat while he had anything to protect his body from the low temperature. His cheeks had turned into a red colour and i noticed he was slightly shaking due to the cold,the low temperature of the night combined with the snow didn't helped at all. "I think you should take the coat hyung,it's freezing" I stopped walking and before even making a move to take off the grey coat,his hand touched mine. "No. I don't need it,soon we'll be somewhere warm. Keep it" He removed his hand and took off his mobile phone,dialing a number. "Yongguk,we are outside. Turn off the security system."