Chapter 7

Memory Loss


That guy,Jongin,appeared from nowhere,when Yongguk was ready to tell me about that "world" which was hidden behind those mountains. If i had once in my life gone a trip outside of New Seoul i would probably knew if he was telling me the truth or if he was trying to impress or scary me. But his revelation got me thinking. Yongguk was indeed trying to save me or else he would let me get shot,he wouldn't protect me, even if the gunshots were just a prank,a false alarm. The situation i was in was getting more and more complicated,first i thought i was a victim of a kidnapping but it turned out i was involved in a rescue plan,in which the man who was rescued was me. Yongguk told me that i was related with the outside world,but i couldn't understand how i was related,i didn't know the existence of it neither how it looked like. I couldn't be related with something that i never seen or heard about before. When i stepped inside the house,the living room was empty with the lights still on,i guessed that they had all gone to their rooms at the first floor. I was ready to close the door when i heard some rapid footsteps coming from the staircase and soon i saw Himchan running towards me. He wasn't wearing the same clothes as before,now he had a simple black wifebeater with a matching pants and in his right hand had a machine gun which was placed on his hand like a glove, from his fingers to his upper arm -i had seen guns like those on movies,but i didn't know they really exist-. Himchan looked at me and pushed me away with his free hand. "Where is Yongguk?" From the upset look of his face -and from the gun in his hand- ,i understood why he was in such a hurry. "Hyung,there isn't someone bad outside. Calm down." I went next to him. "A guy named Jongin came. Yongguk knows him" He looked at me in disbelief and stepped outside from the house. "Yongguk-ah! Is everything alright?" I heard Yongguk answering him that everything is ok and that he should go back to sleep. And that was what he did. He went inside the house and after closing the door behind him he took off the gun that was connected to his hand. "Daehyun go upstairs there is nothing down here. You need to sleep. Your room is at the first floor,second door." I wasn't sure what should i do,after all i was feeling tired,so after telling him good night i went to the room he told me to. As soon as i stepped inside the dark room,i came across with an asleep Zelo on a bed and next to him was a camp bed with a blanket and the very familiar rucksack upon it . There wasn't any other bed on the room,so i guessed that was bed i should sleep at,it seemed reasonable not to have a bed for me,after all in this house they were living five men not six. After removing the rucksack from the camp bed,i lied down and nestled up inside the blanket,immediately closing my eyes.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My eyes wandered around the small room of the security camera room that was under me. I was inside the ventilation system of the building, looking from the iron vent the security man,whose eyes were stuck in the screens in front of him. If i wanted to wander around the building unnoticed i had to turn off the recording and storage system of the cameras immediately. Carefully i removed the vent,placing it behind me and with a soft move i hanged myself upside down,from the opened vent, placing my feet on it -from my knee to ankle- for support. The security man didn't noticed me at all,he was still looking the screens. I armed the cc600 ,a gun which had cc as its bullets,- cc were round microchips that when they come in touch with a human being,they are connected to its nervous system,leaving the human paralytic and unable to move,talk or even remember things- and shot at him,aiming at his neck. Immediately the man in front of me fell from his chair and as soon as he closed his eyes,i had the chance to come down from the ventilation system and turn off the recording and storage system. I looked suspicious at the wide console in front of me,as i wasn't used to such an outdated technology. Maybe the government in the country of Jordan had a reason to equip with these pieces of technology -which i was sure that were used in the 21st century- an entire military base. After turning off the system i wanted to, i took a last look at the screens,just to make sure no one was walking around the corridors and i opened noiseless the door,leaving the room behind me. Until now everything was according to the plan A,the only thing that remained was to find the man,who was in a room at the third floor under the ground floor. I was already in the ground floor,so going to him was a piece of cake. Some minutes after wandering around the corridor and making sure no one was here i went directly to the elevator. No one showed up so far,making me worrying that something was wrong. I expected that i would come across at least with one Jordanian soldier,it was almost impossible that they were no men at the ground floor. Everything were so peacefully.

After calling the elevator i put a small camera device on the cabin of it, because i couldn't overcome the thought that maybe i was noticed. I pushed the "3rd" button,that was inside the elevator and stepped out of it before the doors were closed and the elevator gone down. Through the glasses i wore i could see the image the camera was capturing. By the time the elevator's double doors were open i saw an empty corridor but the lights of it were on. That meant that someone was there,of course it wasn't a good sigh but neither a bad one,now i knew that i was in the right building. After turning off the image transmission by touching the glasses,i opened the iron double door in front off me and looked inside. The elevator cabin was three levels down and in front of me was a wide cable which i used as pole to go down. After managing to get out of the elevator cabin -and to get the small camera with me- ,my eyes wardered immediatelly around the empty corridor checking for a soldier. I took my gun out and started walking on the main hall. The corridor was long,with many doors making it more difficult for me to find my target,a gifted Russian chemical engineer,Vladislav Ekel, which was imprisoned by the Jordanian government. The countries of the middle east were planing an extremely dangerous war,that would soon turned into a world wide war for oil. My mission was to find Ekel and kill him,before middle east take advantage of his abilities. Some steps echoed from the other side of corridor,forcing me to go inside to a random room,i would wait there till the steps stopped or until the owner of them was showed up in front of me. As soon as i opened the door to get inside, a dazzling light hit my eyes,making me temporary blind.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was woken up by the sun light that came through the round window inside the room. I looked around only to find out that it was the same room that i slept last night,with the difference that Zelo wasn't sleeping at the bed,i was alone. A day without the pill and my usual nightmare wasn't only gone but also replaced by a new one. It was so realistic that i almost thought the dream was an old memory. Of course it couldn't be a memory,so that meant that either the side effects of the pill stopped -something unlikely to happen in the short time of just a day- or the recurrent nightmare was transforming into a vivid delusion. This change of my condition didn't discourage me at all,in contrast, it made me confirm that the pills were indeed a habit that i had to quit. I looked towards the rucksack at the floor and i reached my hand to take it, while i was still sitting on the camp bed. Last night the rucksack was placed on top of the camp bed,so i guessed that it was for me. Once i ed the golden zipper my eyes immediately laid on my clothes that were inside. Himchan was obviously prepared for the escape before even i had the time to get back at my apartment,he had everything in order,even my clothes were perfectly folded inside the black rucksack. As i was looking the clothes that he packed for me,a familiar texture came in contact with my fingertips,a specific piece of my wardrobe that became the cause for Hyosung to believe that i was seeing hallucination, Jaehyo's leather jacket. I haven't figured out yet the reason why Jaehyo lied about the jacket,or even worse why he told his cousin that he didn't know me but i was almost ending up to the reason that he was ashamed for me. It was kinda sad and disappointed that he was ashamed for a man that he barely knew. The reason i ended up with, wasn't a convincing one but i was getting out of possible reasons.

As soon as i was in new clothes,i recalled that today was Friday and that i should be at the coffee shop by now,working with Hyosung,but i wasn't. Hyosung must be worried about my absence,especially after the incident with Henry last afternoon. I left the room,heading downstairs. My smartphone was inside the pocket of my jacket at the living room,i wanted to make Hyosung a phone call just to make sure that she wasn't worried about me. My jacket was still in the same spot upon the white couch,relieving me,because i wasn't in the mood to search for it. I put inside my hand to the pocket but the only thing i was touching was the silky lining,i also search the other pocket of the jacket but my smartphone was nowhere to be found. "What are you looking for,hyung?" Zelo came next to me looking at my hands that were still inside the pockets. "My smartphone. I was sure that it was inside this jacket but i cannot find it." I removed disappointed my hands from it. "Have you probably seen it? It's a silver one with a dark blue case on it." "Well..i kinda know.." He awkwardly touched the back of his neck while looking at me. "Yongguk took it with him before leaving the house. By now i guess that...your phone is somewhere in the ocean." "What do you mean? Yongguk threw my phone at the ocean? He's crazy." Yongguk didn't have the right to do something like that,especially without me knowing about it. "Aish. I really need to make a phone call but that bastard threw my smartphone." I crossed my hands,looking at the wide window in front of me. "If it is important,here,you can take mine. Just don't tell anything at Yongguk hyung or Himchan hyung,they don't allow us to give you the permission to come in touch with anyone outside the house" He handed me his smartphone without me asking for it. "We are hiding you,remember? Government could easily found you via your phone. That's why Yongguk hyung threw it. Anyway make your phone call quickly,before Himchan hyung see us." I thanked him and immediately my fingers were tapping on the screen Hyosung's number. In less than a minute i heard her voice at the phone.

"Hello?"

"Hey Hyosung it's me,Daehyun."

"Oh my god Daehyun,where the hell are you? I had called you five times,why you didn't pick it up?" Her voice sounded exactly as i thought it would,worried and anxious. "I..didn't hear it" I lied to her,of course i couldn't tell her the truth not only because she wouldn't believe me but also it would be better not to refer anything about what happened to me since i met Himchan. She already believed that i was seeing hallucination and telling her about the events of the last night,i would strengthen her suspicion.

"Daehyun..tell me exactly where are you right now. I'll tell Henry to pick you up from there"

"Hyosung,i..i can't tell you where am i but i can reassure you that I'm good and in a safe place "

"Daehyun..please tell me where are you. I'm worried about your health,w-we have to go at the doctor as soon as possible."

"Yah,Hyosung! I'm not seeing things,ok? Knock it off."

"Daehyun-ah..please..if you don't want me to know where are you then come back all alone,i don't have a problem. Just come back." I could almost feel that she was ready to cry,even without seeing here,i was sure that soon or later some salty drops will decorate her pale cheeks. "I can't explain you right now but i can't go back. I'm alright,don't worry."

"Daehyun...last night were you at your apartment? Tell me the truth."

"No. I had left before getting late. Why are you asking?" I could already hear her muffled cry through the phone.

"Your apartment last night caught fire,i saw it at the news earlier. Please tell me that you didn't put the fire..please"

"W-What? Fire? Hyosung no i didn't-" Before i even complete my sentence,Zelo had abruptly grabbed his phone and ended the call. "Aish hyung...what have you done? Yongguk will certainly kill me now." He put his phone back to his pocket. "What do you mean? What did i do wrong? And most important why you grabbed the phone? I was talking." His sudden action was so unexpected that made me more worried than angry for his rude behavior. "You are supposed to be hidden hyung. From what you were saying I'm sure that the girl you were talking to must be worried." "Yeah,but i don't understand why-" "She will go to police hyung and report not only that you are missing but also that had a phone call from you. If police locate the signal...we're done."