Chapter 2

Memory Loss


"What do you mean,you don't know?" That was an answer i didn't want to hear. I expected that he was going to list some illnesses that those pills can treat but Jaehyo,on the other hand,was looking with disbelief the medicine on top of my desk. "Some minutes ago you told me that something suspicious was with my pills. And now you are saying that you don't know what are those? Jaehyo if you are-" "No I'm not lying to you hyung." He sighed. "I met you today for the first time,why would i lie to you?" "Then" i stood up "Tell me. Don't just make a fuss without a reason." I watched as the younger male approached my desk searching with his left hand the white box. "As soon as i finished with the dishes,i was heading to my room when i accidentally" He handed me my pills. "Saw those. I immediately recognised the pharmaceutical company,it's quite famous for its variety of products. Every pharmaceutical product should have a certain seal from the ministry of health. But look more carefully the box.It doesn't have any seal!" I examined the white box in my hands and indeed no seal was to be found. "You are right...every box that i had before didn't have any seal. But even though that i took those pills nothing bad happened to me..except for the nightmares.." "Nightmares?" He looked at me with worriment covering his face "Yeah" The answer escaped my mouth so easily as if it was common for someone to see every night a nightmare "Doctor said that those pills would have some side effects on me. I guess one of those side effects are nightmares." "Hyung,you should definitely consider visiting your doctor. Or even stop the treatment. But,let me ask one more question. Where do you buy those pills? No pharmacy should sell pharmaceuticals products without the seal of the ministry of health." "Well.." I stared at the wooden floor below my feet. How could i be so blind? Of course i knew about the seals every pharmaceutical product should have. After all,all the manufactured goods in New Seoul must have a specific seal from the ministry.The united government controls every function inside the city so we could live a high-quality life. "I never bought anything from a pharmacy." I sighed as i lifted my head "Once a month i visit doctor's office so he could give me directly my pills." His brows,by now, were furrowed as he was watching me explaining my monthly visit to the doctor. "Look,i never though that it was suspicious that he was always giving me those pills. After all,even if you don't know the ingredients of the pills,they are effectively" "That's something that i can't explain." He moved towards the door and turned his back to look at me. "What are you going to do now hyung?" "I'll pay him a visit,maybe tomorrow. As for now...an e-mail informing him about the pills is a good start. And if i don't get the answers i want to hear then I'll turn to the police" Jaehyo nodding his head. "That's sounds good to me" He stepped out of the room still looking at me "But you should rest first hyung." "I wil. Goodnight Jaehyo" I sat to the bed. "And thank you" It's ironically how small words like thank you or sorry hide such strong emotions. They also have a big impact on people who receive those words,small or big. One of those was Jaehyo's smile and his sweet goodnight he told me before leaving,heading to the guest room,which now was his room.

"Rina,send an e-mail to the contact "doctor" immediately" I,after lying to the bed, covered myself with my two blanket and closed my eyes.

"Please tell me the subject of the email"

"Pills"

"Alright. Please tell me the content of the e-mail"

A minute passed without telling her what to write. I wasn't sure what exactly should i send to the doctor. I just learned from Jaehyo that my medication,the medication of two years, wasn't for anemia and the pills were contained unknown ingredients. I heard her asking me again about what should she type.

"Sorry for sending this e-mail late at night,but i found out something about my medication which i think we should discuss immediately. I'll make an appointment as soon as possible, and as for the e-mail, i sent it so you could be informed about my problem,i don't expect an answer from you."

"Alright. Should i send it master Jung?"

"Yes"

"E-mail sent. Anything else master Jung?"

"No"

"Alright.Goodnight master Jung"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again the same nightmare as last night,the same five black figures discussing about something that i didn't even know about. Maybe if doctor change the medication,my nightmares would finally stop...maybe. My hands,automatically,found their way on my two heavy blankets pulling them of my body. My eyes were roaming around the room. Everything was normal, as usual. But yesterday was a different day,a day out of the ordinary. I didn't know if i should feel happy because, indeed, something different happened or worried for the pills Jaehyo told me about last night. I didn't know. I was satisfied that yesterday was a different day and that's what matters for now. I stretched my hands and walked towards my desk when something caught my attention. A bright yellow note sticker was thrown at the floor and i bended down to get it. My eyes widened when i read the first sentence that was written on in and then the second and the third and finally the forth. Jaehyo left. He left not only the apartment but also the city. In the note he wrote that his father had a heart attack last night and he wanted to see him. I didn't blame him. If i were him i would do the same thing. Even though i only knew Jaehyo for a day or less i was fond of him. He was a nice guy,friendly and not as loner as Hyosung described him to me. I was certainly going to miss this guy. I let the note on top of my desk and headed to the kitchen. As i was walking outside of his room,i took a peek inside. Maybe the note was a prank and he was sleeping inside the room. His black luggage wasn't in the room, the same went to his black pair of sunglasses. He left for good. I was kinda disappointed that he left so quickly,without even saying good bye or at least giving me his number so we could talk from time to time. When i was ready to leave i spotted his black jacket laying on the floor next to the trash bin. He must have been very overwhelmed last night or else i couldn't explain why have drop the jacket or the note. I picked the leather jacket up and read another wrote that was sticked inside of it -take it. I saw how you were looking it when i took it off last night.- For a guy who barely knew me,he was quite generous.

"Goodmorning master Jung. The weather outside is at 7 Celcius but in the morning hours mercury will-"

"No,i don't want a hot bath." I interrupted her." Roll up the shutters and make me some coffee" 

"The shutters are already rolled up and coffee is on the way. Anything else master Jung?"

I let the black jacket on the bed and turned my head to the right,where a screen was placed and the infamous Caucasian woman with the blond ponytail was looking at me. 

"No"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

"Woah! You look such a bad boy,you know that?" Hyosung greated at me,with her lips forming a smile,her chin buried inside her palm and her body leaned at the counter. "You think so?" I asked while i was walking towards her. "Absolutely. Where did you get that jacket? I don't remember it" As soon as i was next to her side a took one last sip from my cigarette and extinguished it. She didn't like me hanging around her with a lighted cigarette at all. "It's...a gift,i guess,from Jaehyo. Well,one thing for sure is that you were right,he's a good company." I took off the jacket while at the same i was putting on my apron. "I told you silly that he was a good guy." She moved from the counter and helped me turning on the coffee machine. "And how the cohabitation is going? Everything alright?" "Well..."  I sighed. "He left some hours ago. His father had a heart attack and Jaehyo went to the hospital to see him. I though you knew it."  She looked at me with her eyes widened in fear and her hand covering her fully opened mouth. "Oh my god,i didn't knew it. I must call my aunt. Daehyun please i need to make a phonecall,do you mind if i go outside for a couple of minutes?" "Of course not. Go outside and call her" She quickly grabbed her smartphone and went outside. At the same time,the first customer of the day entered the coffee shop.. He was tall and was wearing an oversized grey coat and a black hat. His head was bowed as if he wanted to hide from someone,it was a little weird but i didn't really care . After all he was just a customer. "Goodmorning sir" I smiled gently. "What would you like to order?" "Iced Americano" His voice was deep when he answered without even looking at me. Now he was focused on his white smartphone. "Alright. Anything else sir?" "If i wanted something else i would have told you. Don't you think so?" I was a little shocked as i didn't expected such an sassy throwback from him but i didn't said anything,after all he is the customer and the customer is always right. "Anyway I'm going to sit at one of those tables,bring my  coffee there." He let something on the counter and sat at the nearest table. I was taking some glances at him while i was making his coffee. He didn't take off his hat neither his coat but i achieved to take only a look of his right side of his face before he decided to open a newspaper in front of him,blocking me from seeing him. I,then, looked at the counter,curious to see whar he placed there, only to find out that the customer left exactly the amount of money an iced americano costs. At least he new the price list of the coffee shop.

"Here" I placed his coffee in front of him and went back,behind the counter. I was watching  him for the past two minutes but he didn't make any move,he still was reading the newspaper leaving the coffee i brought him intact. Aa i was looking at him, I heard my smartphone ringing inside my blue jeans. Maybe the doctor was calling me to tell me about my pills or Jaehyo found out my number and made a call. But both of my predictions were contradicted as i saw an unknown id calling me.

"Hello?"

"Hello. Is this Jung Daehyun?"

"Yeah." I looked at the table where the customer was sitting,but he was no where to be found. Neither he or the iced americano he ordered. "When did he left?"

"Excuse me?" 

"Oh...no-nothing. What do you want sir?"

"I learned that you are seeking for a roommate. Have you found one yet?"

"Well...the last one left the apartment today,so..no. If you are interest then how about coming to my house after 8? We can discuss about it face to face"

 "That sounds good. I'll come around 8"

"Alright. Sir,one last question..what is your name?"

"....Himchan"