Chapter 15

Memory Loss


I was feeling like a spectator, watching a theatrical performance coming alive in front of my eyes. All of us we were waiting for Himchan and Youngjae to show up so we would keep on with our little trip. Everyone was nervous, especially Yongguk, who at the moment was standing with his arms crossed looking towards the direction which Youngjae and Himchan had left. The truth was that i was also quite nervous like the others. I didn't know what was going on, the only thing that i was sure about was that we were in a big trouble. As i was standing still, without doing any movement i heard Zelo's voice next to me. "Hyung, are you alright? You haven't talked since Youngjae hyung left with Himchan hyung" I turned my head to look at the tall boy who was some meters away from me. "I am just a little anxious, don't worry kid" "First of all i am not a kid. Stop calling me like that. You may have forget a lot about your past but that habit of yours to call me kid is annoying. And, second, you don't need to worry. Himchan hyung have done this many time. Soon he will be ready." I nodded my head. "I see. And, what's the plan?" "Well.. he will wear the exoskeleton and we will leave him where the humanoids are. He will keep with us later." I looked at him shocked. "That's it? That's the plan? We are going to leave him there all alone? You are all crazy." "The weapons are in the ing truck Daehyun" I turned my head to look at Yongguk, who was walking towards us. "What do you want us to do? Fight with our hands? Well guess what, we can't. We will leave Himchan there and we'll hope for the best." Jongup, who the whole time was remained silent, decided to break his silence. "Himchan hyung can make it. He had fought with humanoids before. Let's have some trust to him." "I am glad that at least one of us have faith on me".At that moment everyone turned to look at the direction of the voice. Himchan was standing next to Youngjae, with the black exoskeleton covering half of his body. All of his back side, from head to toe was covered with that black metal,which made him look taller and more musclular than he actually was. "I ready. Shall we go?" Himchan without waiting for an answer hopped on the orange truck and sat exactly were we was sitting some minutes ago. "Himchan are you sure for that?" "Let's go. I'll be fine. When i finish with them,i will come to you. You will stop for the night right?" Youngjae nodded his head. "That's right. We will wait there for you. If anything happens, call me." I saw Himchan then looking at me. "Daehyun, you go with Yongguk at the front,ok? Don't worry for me, everything is gonna be alright".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everything is gonna be alright. That's what i was thinking the whole time. That's what i was thinking when i got into the truck, when i got to see Himchan leaving the truck and running towards the white humanoids that where waiting for us. When we left him there, in the middle of the desert kicking and shooting at those things. Some hours had already past without having any clue about Himchan. It was night and everyone were sitting next to each other with a fire warming us some meters away. After hours of driving we made a stop at an unknown town for the night. The town was abandoned, there was any form of life anywhere. The only thing i could see where empty streets, abandoned cars here and there, graffiti upon the buildings about liberation and manumission and rubbish. Rubbish where almost everywhere. I didn't know why, but when i ask the guys why there were so much rubbish in this town, the only answer i got was that i should put the blame on the United Government itself. Even though the rubbish was all over the place what caught mostly my attention was the kind of technology and the architect. It was quite old. The cars, the architect of the buildings, even the billboards where reminding me the early 2000, maybe 2000-2020 i couldn't be sure. Everything had a vibe of a past era, that i hadn't, of course, lived in. And there we were.. in an old town, sitting on a sheltered pavement with the trucks right next to us, without even looking each other. Everyone was doing something. Youngjae, who was sitting next to me was looking every minute or two at his phone, Junhong, who was sitting opposite of me, was concetrated on the flames in front of his eyes. He was looking at them with so much caution like he was afraid that the fire would die out. And Yongguk...well, Yongguk was sitting away from us, with his back touching the concrete column and with his eyes looking directly at the street. No one was making any noise and i could understand why. Himchan's absence was intense and everyone was worried about him. We were all waiting for him even though we knew that maybe could never find us. The idea of letting him there all alone while we were running away with the water was quite risky bur we didn't have any choice. 


Suddenly, a sound was heard some meters away from us, behind our trucks. Everyone turned their heads almost synchronized towards ths source of the sound and the first one to make a move was Yongguk, who quickly stood up and run behind the trucks. "Youngjae, come here quickly!" Youngjae, as soon as he heard Yongguk screaming his name he stood up running towards him and ao do we. "Oh my god what happened to you?" I was the last one that reached Yongguk and the view of Himchan sitting down and taking some quickly and spasmodic breaths was enough to make me more worried. Himchan's forehead was full of blood while his hands were continuously trembling. "I...i had an accident with the exoskeleton. Can you disassemble this thing?" Youngjae quickly pushed a combination of buttons at the back of Himchan's neck and suddenly the exoskeleton dropped to the ground. Yongguk rushed to rip a piece of his shirt to wipe the blood out of his forehead while Zelo kneeled down next to Himchan and hold his hand. "What happened hyung? Will you tell us?" Himchan took a deep breath to calm himself and then looked at all of us. "I was there..fighting with the humanoids. From three they multiplied to six. But i still got them, i was alright. One of them then pushed me harshly to the ground and i don't know, somehow the exoskeleton broke or something. From that moment i started to feel dizzy.As i was coming here i slipped and hit my forehead, that's why the blood is fresh. I am fine, just a little dizzy but other than that i am good." Youngjae took from Yongguk the bloody piece of fabric and tied it around Himchan's forehead. "You should have called me hyung, i told you if something was wrong, call me. Don't try to be always the hero. You can't." "Anyway" Jongup interrupted. "The point is that you are alright hyung. You just need some rest." Himchan agreed by nodding his head. And then he turned his head to look at me. "What's wrong Daehyun? You haven't say anything the whole time. Are you alright?" I sat down next to him. "I...i am good...just a little overwhelmed...seeing you like this is...unusual?" He smiled a little at me and reached his free hand to cup my cheek. "Well...you have to get used to this. But i told you that everything is gonna be alright, didn't i?" Before i even have the time to answer, Yongguk stepped on our little conversation. "Sorry to interupt but Himchan you should rest okay? Come on let me help you." Yongguk took Himchan in his hands and he left him softly near the fire. 


Ιn fractions of seconds everyone had took their position around the fire. All eyes were laid upon Himchan,who had lied down next to Yongguk and used his thigh as a pillow for his head. Everyone was quiet but this silence was for different than the silence before Himchan's arrive. It was now a pleasant silence, as we were all finally calmed. I turned my head to look at Yongguk, who had his eyes nailed on Himchan. Among us, i was certainly sure that he was the most worried about Himchan. "What's our plan for tomorrow?" "Hmm?" Yongguk turned his gaze towards me "We are going back to our base Daehyun. There we will be safe. But before going there we will make another stop to deliver the water." "Aren't going to be guarda there hyung? By now they sure now that we have water with us." "There would be guard, Zelo, anyways. The government found out that we left New Seoul. We will do what we are always do..kill them." "No." Youngjae stepped to the conversation. "I have talked with them. They will take care of this. The only thing we have to do is to deliver the water. That's all." "Well, that's something good. " Yongguk slowly caressed Himchan's head with his right hand. Himchan hadn't talked at all since he lied down, i noticed that his breathing was becoming slower and slower as the time was passing by and his chest was also rising slower. It took me some minutes but eventually i realised that he fell asleep and the thought that he finally could have some rest made me smile. But why did i smile? I knew that i shouldn't being smiling but at that moment i didn't really care. All i wanted was him to be back,and he made it...