Chapter 16

Memory Loss

Τhe night, thankfully, was peacefull. After Himchan had slept, everyone decided to sleep too. In the morning, after we packed up everything, we got on the trucks, at the position that we were the previous day. Himchan was sitting next to me, silent, looking in front of him, at the view that the truck was leaving behind. We were on the road for half an hour, by now the town was  a dot far away from us. The desert was,again,surrounding us and the sun had just rised. Everything was really mesmerizing. I turned my head to look at Himchan, but little i knew that he was already looking me back. "So, are you feeling better today hyung? Yesterday...you weren't that good." "I am fine Daehyun, i told you not to worry about me. Besides, i have fought with humainoids several times. And you too." I looked with my mouth slightly open at him "Really? I have? " He just nodded his head in agreement. "Yeah. You were a spy Daehyun, remember? You had accomplished lots of missions. Do..do you recalled anything new?" "No, not really. I only remember some parts of my mission in Jordan. That'all. But i guess that i will remember more thing from time to time, right?" "Yeah...right." 


Some minutes later, Himchan received a phonecall from Yongguk. After their conversation, he looked at me. "Come on Daehyun, turn around to look." "Look what?" I turned around as Himchan told me. Ιn front of us, some miles away, there was another town, but a lot different than the first one we were last night. It was quite old as i could see, but i wasn't sure. The town seemed to be big, but the houses were away from each other. "Is..is this the town we are going to?" "Isn't it that obvious? Well yeah. Here we are. The town in front of you is called Daejeon. Back in the early two thousands Daejeon was one hell of a city. Very beautifull,modern and with lots of citizens. You could say that it was one of the biggest cities in South Korea. Of course after the third world war, it was completely destroyed. Now Daejeon had become one of the biggest cities with poor citizens. I am sure you will get shocked as soon as we are at Daejeon" "And why is that?" Himchan huffed and looked away from me. "Poverty had gone out of hand.They don't have enough food, they are working lots and lots of hours for an average or lower salary and as for their water...they have almost nothing. And as you can already tell, United Government is at fault. That's all i have to say." Himchan after taking a last look at the city he turned back. "We will be there within ten minutes or less, be ready." 


And, indeed, after some minutes we were there. We reached our destination, Daejeon. Needless to say that Himchan was right, i was quite shocked and startled by the view in front of me. The town was nothing like a have seen before. It reminded me of those movies i was watching that took plack back in the previous millenium. Or more specifically it reminded me the favelas in Brazil. I knew about them from the travelling books i used to read from time to time, but i didn't expected that one day i would see something similar. The houses, most of them with two or more floors,were indeed a little apart from each other, with narrow alleys between them. As i could see Daejeon had one similarity with the town that we slept laat night. They both had a lot of rubbish everywear. But that wasn't what mostly caught my attention. It was the people. As soon as we got into tje town hundreds of people came towards, surroumding our vehicle. Some of them were looking at us with a smile on their tanned faces, some other were banging with their hands at our truck and some others were talking and screaming. They seemed to be quite excited for our presence. I felt like a hero who just saved the day and came back to his town but at the same time i was quite curious about what was going on. From the other hand, Himchan was sitting next to me and he was waving at them, looking also happy. My left hand reached to poke his right arm. He immediatelly turned to look at me. "What is going on hyung? Why there are people surrounding us?" "They are cheering for us Daehyun, we brought water to them. Everytime they see us with these vehiclea they know that we have water. So, they are happy. And they express it. Don't worry you will get used to". I nodded my head without really understanding half of what he said,due to the loud noises, but i understood the the most important. They were happy.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Time had passed quickly since we left those people behind. By now we had arrived at the water tanks where we were supposed to leave the water. They were still some people around but they were away from us, waiting behind the bars that werw placed there. All of them were holding items in their hands, some of them were holding empty gallons and some other were holding bags full with empty bottles. Everyone was impatiently waiting for water. As soon as we got off the truck and got together, a man,wearing a black uniform and a black bulletproof vest came to us. He was quite young, maybe at my age or even younger, his hair were completely blonde in addition to his black eyes and his full lips were forming a smirk as he was approaching us. Also, he had a riffled at his back which i noticed some seconds later. They were, as well, another men with him, dressed as him, who were unloading the truck. "So, i see you made it." The unknown man gave a hive five at Yongguk. " Finally,we were waiting for you for almost two hours what took you so long guys?" "Oh you know, the usual" Yongguk, who was standing in the middle,smiled at him and then looked at me. "Daehyun, this is R.M, he is from our organization." I looked at him, who had stretched his hand and i holded it firmly for the handsake. "R.M? Is this your real name or-" "Of course it's not my real name. It's a code name, most of us we have a code name, you know, for our safety. My real name is Namjoon, but don't tell it to anyone." He laughted and then looked at Himchan. "Are you alright? I heard that you fought with three humanoids." "Six to be exact, but yeah as you can see i am good just a little dizzy. Do you need any help with the water there?" Namjoon shook his head. "No, we are fine. We got rid of the guards and we are ready to fill those giant water tanks. Why don't you go to our base? You had a long trip i guess you need some rest." "We are fine, don't worry" Zelo stepped on the conversation. "Well, actually...we will go to the base, but only after all water tanks are full. Right guys?" Youngjae looked at us. "Okay, as you want. Anyway, i have to go back. If you want anything come and tell me alright?" After nodding our heads Namjoon left and went back with the others. 


"So...that's it?" I looked at them. "We are done with our mission?". Yongguk looked at me "Kinda. We accomplished this mission, but we have another, which is more important. We have to bring balance at the relationship the city has with the New Seoul. Anyway,you will learn later for that." "Now what are we going to do Yongguk?" Himchan interrupted him. "I don't know. You are free to do anything you want." "Well...me and Zelo were thinking to go to the base. We are hungry so....yeah" "Fine you can go, i don't have a problem." Yongguk turned his gaze towards me. "Daehyun,would you like to go with Youngjae around the city? It is your first time here since a lot of time. It's good to know were you are going to live. Youngjae can also tell you some basic things you need to know." "That's a good idea" Youngjae nodded his head. I, from the other hand, saw Yongguk who walked next to Himchan and holded his arm. "Himchan, i need to talk to you." Yongguk rised his gaze to look at us and beckoning us to leave. "Have fun."