Chapter 3

Memory Loss

I looked at the time on my smartphone. Half past ten and that Himchan didn't show up yet. I did expect that he would be late but not that he wouldn't shown up at all. As for now,i was looking outside through the large window glass and a hot bowl of ramyun  was waiting in the kitchen to be eaten. The weather was getting colder from day to day making me worrying about how should i keep my apartment warm without paying a lot. I wish i had a fireplace. That would solve my heat problem for good. But fireplaces are forbidden inside New Seoul,they were more like belonging to the past century. Some minutes were passed without realizing that white snowflakes were falling heavily on the ground. I smiled as some snowflakes hit the window glass . Even though winter was my favorite season i couldn't really enjoy it not only because of the heat i couldn't offer to myself but also because i didn't 't have someone to share some memorable moments. Hyosung was right,i was a loner without even want to.

As i decided to go to the kitchen so i could eat i heard my bell ringing and after that some soft bangs on the door. He finally came,even though it was late at night. I walked towards the door and opened it. "Hello.Sorry for coming late,I had some things to take care of" He stepped inside the apartment and took off his coat,the exactly same grey coat i saw today. "You are the guy who ordered that iced americano this day,right?" I,quickly,realized that he was that guy,their height was the same,their voices were also deep. He was certainly that guy in the coffee shop. "I drank three iced americano from three different coffee shops this day. Maybe i was the guy you are asking about. Next time you should be more specific." He turned at me. At the coffee shop i saw only a part of his face but now i was capable to have a full view of it. His eyes were as black as the night sky and his lips were small in opposition with his shape of face that was sharp and tough. His hair where also black and short,making his face even more sharp."Why are you staring at me?" His question brought me back to reality as i didn't realized i was staring at him for at least a minute. Suddenly a wave of heat and shame hit me straight in the face,i didn't understand why i was ashamed so quickly and so easily just because i starred a guy. "Sorry..i though i have seen you again and i was looking at you so i could verify it." Of course i lied to him,i have never see him again except for today but that was the first -ridiculous- excuse that i came up with. But,even though it was a ridiculous answer he seemed to have believed it as he came closer to me,his hand cupping my face and his dark eyes scanning my features. A stronger wave of heat and shame hit me again. "Mmm...i don't think so. I would remember you if i have seen you somewhere. I don't forget the faces i have seen.Especially beautiful faces." Yeah right,he didn't even remember me,the guy who brought him his coffee this morning and -wait- did he call me beautiful? "Are you hitting on me?" I asked without even thinking about what would he answer or what would he think about me,after all he was just a stranger. But he just laughed and dropped his hand. "I'm not hitting at you,or am i?" That was supposed to be an answer? "What is that?" He said pointing at the kitchen. "Buldalk Bokkeummyeon,why?" "Really? I love Buldalk Bokkeummyeon." That guy,whose name was Himchan,walked towards the kitchen and sat at the chair in front of my hot bowl of spicy fried chicken ramyun . He started eating my ramyun,my ramyun that i was ready to eat some minute ago.

"Hey! Himchan,what are you doing there? That's my ramyun!" I announced as soon as i stepped into the kitchen grabbing my bowl away from his hungry mouth. "First of all I'm your hyung,I'm older than you. Be more respectful to your hyung and roommate. Secondly..I'm really hungry..and those ramyun are so delicious,i saw that you have another packet of Buldalk Bokkeummyeon on the counter. Give it back please" He stretched his hands in an attempt to take the bowl. For a guy that he just met me was quite shameless..and hungry. My parents had taught me to be kind towards those who are in need and i guess food is a basic need. "Fine." I gave him back the bowl. "Are you that hungry that you steal others food?" "Well.." He stared eating again. "It's not that i don't have money to feed myself. I was busy today and i didn't have time to eat anything." I sighed. "Do you want me to make you ramyun? It's not polite to eat only one person." Himchan looked at me with his mouth stuffed with my ramyun. Except for shameless he was also rude. "No,I'm not hungry anymore. Look, Himchan,i-" "Himchan hyung" "Himchan hyung,i don't think that you are a good roommate to be with. I think you should leave,eat and then leave." I was impolite to him,but i didn't care after all he was impolite to me as well.

"How much?" I looked at him confused "What how much?" He sighed "I guess you need a payment in advanced so i can live here right? Take my wallet from my coat and take as much money as you need" He continued eating as if i never asked him to leave the house. "Hyung are you listening to me when I'm talking? I told you will not live here." He sighed again. Maybe he was starting to feel irritated by my request to leave. "Daehyun,I'm sure you need the money as much as need to live in an apartment near to my office. If you are angry that i ate some of your food,then here" He pushed slightly the bowl away from him. "It's just some food. Charge me for eating." I looked startled at him. He was trying to make me feel guilty or something? From the other hand he was right. I needed the money,the winter was going to be -according to the weather forecast- cold this year and some money could buy me the heat i wanted. "I guess..you can stay here,only because no one else have called me for a cohabitation." I went back to the living room,searching for his coat until i found it laying on my white sofa. "You know i can watch you from here don't try to steal my money." "I don't have those intentions." My hands reached the wallet inside the grey coat and when i opened it i was faced with a shock. His wallet,which i guessed was leather due to its texture,was full of money,millions of won printed in paper money were placed inside the black wallet. If he had so much money why he wanted to share an apartment? "I'll take two hundred thousands won,i thinks it's an ok price for a payment in advanced" I took the money and put the wallet back to the pocket and i headed towards the kitchen. "Show me the money" He said in a demanding tone after taking the last bite from what was supposed to be my ramyun. I sighed and showed him the paper money before putting it in my pocket. "What is your job Himchan hyung?" "Were you shocked to see that i have a lot of money right?" He chuckled and stood up from the chair, putting the empty bowl inside the washing maching. "Well i told you i have an office." He turned to me resting his back to the white wall of the kitchen. "I'm a layer" I looked at him with disbelief "Aren't you too young to be an layer?" "I am actually 26 years old,in some months I'll be 27. I guess I'm a little young for a lawyer but i do my job as i am supposed to do and I'm quite good. So i guess age is just an number." If he,indeed,was 26 years old,the same age as me, how he knew that he's older than me and wanted me to call him hyung? There is no way he could know my birthday. Something was suspicious about him.  When i was ready to talk,Rina interrupted me.

"Master Jung,you have a video call from "doctor" should i answer it?"

"Connect him to the projector inside my room" I answered her while i was going to my room forgeting about the man in my kitchen. As soon as i was in my room,the room was already dark and the face of the 50 years old doctor with his unsual hazel eyes and round face was to be seen on the floating screen in the middle of my room. The fact thay he made a video call,meant that he was abroas for a medical conference. That explained why his secretary told me this morning that doctor will be away for some time.

"Hello Daehyun. How are you?" He smiled at me as i was coming closer to the screen.

"You tell me doctor. Recently i found out that you were giving me illegal pills. How I'm suppose to be?"

"Well..Daehyun. That was something i didn't want to tell you as your parents requested me-"

"My parents? What do you mean? My parents were a part of this?!"

"Daehyun,please do not yell. I guess it's time to explain to you everything. You don't have anemia..we were lying to you so you couldn't be shocked. You..have an rare disease in which your blood cells are slowly destroying themself making it impossible to live. The medication for this disease is illegal in New Seoul due to the fact that it can cause various of side effect such as the nightmares you have every night. But as you can understand without those pills you may die and your parents didn't want you to die so we decided to give you these pills. And as i predicted the pills were absolutely harmless exept for the nightmares. But it's preferable to have nightmares than not to be able to live. But don't worry,as i know,those pills are going to be legal.Procedures have already start from the ministry of health."

I sat at my bed,shocked from what i heared. I was carrying such a disease and my parents didn't want me to know it? Neither the doctor? Something is wrong about it. My parents would never hide anything from me either if is good or bad. Also,before some months ago i had forgotten to take my pill for a week -that's why i have Rina to remind my about it since then- and i was still healthy. I was confused but i didn't want the doctor to realize it. "I see..then i guess..i should keep on with the treatment.."

"Yes Daehyun. You should take your pill everyday. We want you healthy,me and your parents" He smiled again. "We must finish our talk now. I have to leave,we'll talk soon again. If you are having trouble with the treatment please call me." The floating screen disappeared,as the conversation was over and the lights were . I was still confused but at the same time i was sure that he was lying.  I left the room and went back to the kitchen to check on Himchan but as i was walking i saw him in the guest room,in the room where Jaehyo were last night. And this night Himchan had  replaced him,sleeping in the bed that Jaehyo had -probably- slept last night. Even though Himchan wasn't like any other roommates i have lived with,he seemed to be quite interesting. Something out of the ordinary.